Game Thread Chapter 4: Rushing to War - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 09:55 PM
Gaekub Gaekub is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 5th, 2019
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Posts: 322
VoitlejaA pang of guilt passed through Voitleja as the man spoke. He wished that he could trust they would avoid Habol, but if they were lying and let them pass they could hurt a lot of people. At least if a fight broke out here, the people who got hurt would have had some say in it. At least, that's what he was telling himself.

He waited patiently as Cela said his piece before replying. "Hello Cela," he said, raising one long thin arm in a salute. "My name is Voitleja. I have a signed letter from the officials of this area allowing me to act in their name. If you would like to see it, you may send a runner to retrieve it. We have both the right and the ability to stop you." He paused and stretched slightly taller, attempting to make his resolve clear. "I will say it once more. Proceed any further, and we will stop you by force."
  #47  
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 08:46 AM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
RaazAfter Voitleja's statement, Raaz went on guard. Her bow was aimed and ready to shoot as she kept an eye on any threats that may be of concern.

She studied the three men closest to see if they were itching to grab their own weapons, and then turned her gaze on the rest of the men in the group behind them. Did any of them look like they were readying an attack?
Dice Roll:
3d6 5, 4, 5 Total = 14

  #48  
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of Peace"Mercenary!" Cela screamed the word like it was the most vile curse in the whole world. The crowd behind him murmured and shuffled about, working itself into more and more excitement. The Thugs to either side of the Blue Boar shifted their various weapons into their hands, and some farm implements and weapons of metal were produced in the crowd.

"Not very many of them is there," came a shout from behind Cela. The human merely spat onto the grass and fixed his gaze onto Voitleja again. If he or any of his band had noticed the Artillery 250 yards away they were not yet frightened by it.

"You are the whip that cracks upon the peoples back," raged the Blue boar at the Soldiers in front of him. "We move northwards to join those that would stand up to the likes of you! Where we will be people again!"

The Crowd roared, emboldened by the words of their leader. Behind Voitleja Sheedi the awkward Crossbowman lifted his weapon to take aim, even though no order had been given yet. Mohi was too distracted to notice it, but she threw nervous glances at Voitlejas back as she gripped her own bow more tightly.

In the same vein Memnesius was shifting about as he stood close to Voitleja, yet looking only forward. His men, clad in heavy armour and carrying frightful implements of war seemed more at ease, staring down the crowd of vagrants with a steely look in their eyes.

"Now you listen to me!" Cela continued after the cheers and shouts of his band had died down once more. He was less cheerful than his small army. The Human sounded as serious as one that has murdered before and is willing to do so again. "You think a piece of parchment gives you power, but not over us! We can only offer you what you offered to us. Leave now or be crushed!"

"They'll charge alright," said 'Mad' Mali offhandedly.

The only one to reply was Yalar, the Uxian Ex-Priest. "Wayas winds are blowing," was what he muttered as he gripped for the pommel of his Shotel.


OOCNobody is charging yet though, but it really looks like they might.

FYI, none of you can see any Bows or Crossbows in the crowd. Javelins or sling-stones could be flying your way in the near future though.

The troops hidden in the jungle can hear the speech as well, even though it is a bit muffled.

I don't generally like to do this, but this might be one situation where it would be prudent for other players to wait for Gaekub to post whether he will give the order to attack immediately.
  #49  
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 05:26 PM
Gaekub Gaekub is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 5th, 2019
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Posts: 322
VoitlejaThe Seene let out a deep breath, audible to those standing close to him. He could feel Tappa's presence here, straddling the road, towering over the hill and the jungle, eager for blood to be shed. This spot was destined to become a battlefield it seemed, and Voitleja couldn't think of any option he had that would stop it. He placed the drawn arrow into his bow and called out to the assembled humans below. "Any who choose to retreat will be spared," he said, apparently to the mob but also to his own troops. He considered addressing Cela directly, telling him he had brought this on himself and his people, but didn't see the point. "Fire," he said instead, his voice flat and emotionless.


OOCArchers with me, fire at will. I'm going to draw my bow and aim towards the bulk of their troops, taking aim/wait actions until an enemy enters my sonar range and then firing an arrow at them.

EDIT: Also giving the fire signal to the siege weaponry. Sorry Ericg1s!

EDIT2: Oh, and if we're fastfowarding through the initial charge a little, I'll give the signal to the jungle group either once the front of the oncoming attackers is about halfway to my group, or if any member portion of their group stays back to hurl ranged weapons. Of course, they can attack whenever they want too.

Last edited by Gaekub; Sep 24th, 2018 at 07:15 PM.
  #50  
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph notices that the order to fire appears to have been given...
He attempts to move the ballista into position to fire.
  #51  
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
AseIt is so hot and swampy here. I’ve been to areas like this before but I was never worried about not making it out. Now I may be buried here. In a few months, I may be part of this mangrove forest, nurturing it with my body as it does to us. Then one day another Raz’Ar will eat this fruit and I’ll make it back home. The circle never ends. There is always a balance. But for now the forest must be reticently watered.

Ase hears the order to fire given and sees the initial rush of the Cela’s move to attack Voitleja and his side. My side. Our side. You're on a team now Ase, think like it. He looks over to Sigisa and it seems she’s thinking the same thing Ase is. Hold for a moment until they are committed to the frontal assault, then move in while they are distracted. They nod at each other in silent agreement.

A moment or two passes and the Cela’s side is thinning out in the back near them. Ase and Sigisa share one more glance Possibly the last friendly face I’ll ever see as she gives the order for her men to strike, Viotleja gives the order to spring the ambush. His trap is sprung.

As the people beside him spring into action, Ase claps his hands and rubs them together vigorously. He prays for lightning to come to his aide. Hoping that if he can do this, it’ll boost the morale of his side and impress them that there are forces at work on their behalf and do the opposite to the opposition. He aims at a person in the back of the group, hoping to surprise him and pick him off.

 


For a second, Ase's finger's glow and spark, then a beam of current shoots towards his target.


HP 10/10
FP 9/10

Last edited by Vulco1; Sep 27th, 2018 at 09:40 PM. Reason: More flavor text
  #52  
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 06:16 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
RaazDescribes to Voitleja what she is seeing, explaining that there seems to be some slings, no bows, and spears. That the men look skittish, and where approximately they are standing.

At the order of his to fire, she releases her bow, letting the arrow shoot forward to the leader, Cela.

Dice Bow Shoot:
3d6sl12 4, 6, 2 Total = 12


If it hit or not, she pulled another arrow out, to shoot again.
  #53  
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 06:17 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceSheedi, the only one of the archers behind Voitleja that had already been aiming, let one of his bolts loose first. It sailed above the head of the infantrymen, going past Cela and his personal guards to hit a random unfortunate person in the mass of people.

While the archers in the back row were taking their aim, Raazes arrow was already flying. It hit the ground just short of the man that called himself the Blue Boar. In response he roared: "Tear them to pieces!"

The leader and the fighters close to him started a run towards the Infantry, with only a few people of the crowd starting in the same direction initially. The group as a whole seemed still slightly unsure about the charge, at least in this initial second.

Back in the Jungle the roar of the human was clearly heard, even though those hiding there could not see much of the overall situation - merely the backs people in the crowd. Keshu, the Uxian Squadleader raised his hand and made a fist, which prompted all of his archers, including Wahka, that had let taken aim to let their arrows fly. The projectiles fluttered as they tore through the leaves and vines of the jungle, a few of them getting stuck in the trunks of trees.

Shortly after Ase had formed the ball of lightning in his hand to release it in a bolt of fiery energy. It singed the vegetation as it passed through and hit somebody in the crowd with a sound like the cracking of a whip. The smell of ozone and burned chlorophyll was in the air.

From up the hill it just looked as if a handful of people at the back of the crowd just fell, accompanied by one sudden flash of light and sound. So confusing was this attack at the rear, that the falling bodies pushing those in front of them set of a chain reaction that got more people moving in the direction of Voitleja and his men, especially those poor people caught in the middle of the group.

At that point not even Mohi and her archers - including those of Voitlejas squad - could stop what had been set in motion as they finally fired. The positive, from a military perspective at least, was that almost all of their arrows hit the centre mass of the crowd true, most likely causing some additional casualties.

Another upside was that the mostly human band seemed to have a shaky morale, unsurprisingly. The sides of the crowd of bandits seemed to bleed members as those that had nobody in the way started to run up or down the ocean road, away from the fight.

After the first round of arrows and bolts maybe twenty bandits were injured and more than that were routed. Yet Cela was unharmed, and he was coming for Voitleja and his Infantry with at least two dozen at his back.

Some of those that were still unsure about charging let loose some projectiles at Voitleja and his Soldiers. A slingstone hit Gaos helmet with a metallic clang, but the Getta only snorted a short laugh. A javelin was deflected accidentally by the small shield Yalar had strapped to his off-hand and hit the ground dangerously close to Raazes foot.

A lot of the things flung their way were directed at Voitleja seemingly. Unsurprising maybe, considering he was by far the biggest target.


OOCPhew, I feel like I have hidden plenty of typos there. Anway - I'll have a Dodge Check from Voitleja please.

We are not yet in normal combat, considering nobody is in melee yet. There is enough time for another ranged weapon cycle before the (mostly) humans close with the infantry. As you are charged the enemies are going to be closer once you have reloaded, so you will have an easier time of it.

Those that remain in the "frontline" will be engaged in melee first, and then it will most likely spill over to the archers. I'll probably work this combat without a map, since there are too many people involved.

The people in the jungle have not really been noticed yet, at least not by the crowd at large.
  #54  
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 08:24 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
The ballista fires once as the battle is joined.
There is not enough time to fire a second ballista volley, so Jo'Seph sets himself so as to protect the equipment from attack. He holds his sword out ready, in case any of the enemy come by this way.

Last edited by Ericg1s; Oct 2nd, 2018 at 07:35 AM.
  #55  
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 08:34 PM
Gaekub Gaekub is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 5th, 2019
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Posts: 322
VoitlejaVoitleja's bottom right hand darted to the side to block a sling bullet that had just entered his range, more of an instinctual movement than anything considered. Luckily he managed to keep his bow steady through the sudden movement, as it was only a moment later that a charging figure entered his range as well. Two flexible fingers slipped off the bowstring and the arrow flew true, which the Seene noted with some surprise. It had been a long time since he'd fired a shot from his bow in earnest, and he had begun to doubt his ability during the long wait for a target to emerge.

Whether it was luck or skill that guided the shot wasn't something he could consider at the moment, as the humans had almost reached their position. With one smooth motion he stowed his bow and replaced it in his top two hands with his glaive. His fingers tightened around the shaft, and a comforting wave of familiarity washed over him. This was his weapon, just as he was a weapon of Tappa. Together, the three of them would spill blood.

If he had the time, he offered a prayer to his god for skill in battle. Either way, however, he drew the glaive back, preparing to swing at whoever he could.


OOCAlready rolled, critical hit for 4 damageLoosing the arrow, and then spending two seconds to put away the bow and draw my glaive at reach 2-3. If I have more than a second before the sides meet, I'll try to
Dice Skill 12:
3d6 1, 4, 3 Total = 8
cast Grace for 8 FP and then ready an attack. If not, I'll just ready an attack on the first enemy to come within my reach. Also, if I can take a step or two to place myself in Cela's path and swing at him I'll do so on the turns I'm taking out my Glaive and readying, but not farther than that.
  #56  
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 03:11 PM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
AseAse and his troop are bolstered by the success of their first strike. Realizing that they haven't been found yet and while the army is still in range, they try to strike from the shadows again.

Ase rubs his hands together again and whispers to Sigisa "We should attack from here again and try to peel some more off. If any can hit those combatants in the charge at the front, we should try to thin them out for Voitleja. If any of the men can't they should pick off the people in the rear again". He waits for Sigisa to give her men her orders, and knowing that his lightning streaking from te rear to the front may give them away, he aims at a man in the rear again. Possibly the same man he smote before.

 



Once again the lightning streaks from his hand and into a combatant.

Last edited by Vulco1; Oct 2nd, 2018 at 03:12 PM.
  #57  
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 06:36 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz
Frowning that her arrow missed she took a moment to shoot again, waiting for him to get a smidge closer before she let the arrow fly. The bow took a little bit of getting used to, and she called out to Voitleja to let him know where everyone stood, and what weapons to expect.

Before she saw if the arrow struck true she backed up to stand beside Voitleja to continue to provide feedback, standing slightly behind the shield wall to avoid any direct attacks. She aimed for another target.

Dice Attack:
3d6 6, 5, 4 Total = 15

Last edited by TheDragonQueen; Oct 5th, 2018 at 06:38 PM.
  #58  
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 01:21 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceAt the behest of Jo'Seph the Helper at the Polybolos activated the mechanism that sent the prepared Stone flying towards the attacking crowd. Next to them Tham follows suit, sending another large stone after the first one from the Ballista he had been aiming for.

Far far ahead from them, though closer to the rest of the Squads the large slingstones struck the crowd to crush everything beneath them before erupting in a cloud of dust, shrapnel and blood. The riled up Group loosened somewhat in the middle under screams of terror and confusion, slowing those that would join the charge somewhat.

Around half the crowd was fleeing in either direction, but there were still plenty of angry people that remained to put up a fight. An estimated thirty people where already detached from the crowd and running towards Voitleja and the shieldwall, with about that same number ready to join in soon.

There were now plenty of targets for archers. The twenty or so behind Voitleja sent forth another volley, who slew or wounded only a few of the attackers. The arrow of the Seene hit one of the attackers somewhere in the chest, who stumbled and fell. Raazes projectile flew too high, disappearing somewhere in the jungle beyond.

There in the green the Ambush was still attacking, momentarily getting ready to fire another volley of arrows in the backs of the people of the crowd. The group of people was still packed enough to make it easy for Ase to find a hapless victim as he sent forth another shot of light, yet the Raz'ar did not clearly see the immediate effects of his magical projectile.

Some of the bandits seemed to have caught on, since Ase and the rest of the Soldiers in the Jungle could see shapes entering the jungle. They did not seem to walk with purpose, so may still be oblivious about the exact location and nature of the ambush, but there seemed to be a fair number and they were coming closer.

What was left of the Thirty men charging rammed into the shieldwall with some force, not pushing it back yet. Cela remained at the head of the attack, yet proved to elusive for Voitlejas glaive, maybe having anticipated the attack. The human ducked under it, and the blade hit one of his Bodyguards in the shoulder.

As soon as he had closed and avoided the initial attack the Blue Boar engaged with Voitleja immediately, two of his surviving bodyguards also turning most of their attention towards him. One of them was also carrying a spear, the other a rusted broadsword. The two bodyguards started to wave their weapons around in an attempt to confuse Voitlejas defense, while Cela seemed about to stab at him in earnest.


OOC!We are in combat now! I will handle combat a little differently to speed it up, the specifics of which I have outlined here.

Please don't post until you've read that little explanation there. I feel it will speed everything up quite a lot.

So a bit of a status report: The numbers are not definite, because it is pretty hard to count people when they are screaming and charging - but there are around thirty guys engaging with Voitlejas infantry, and some that will soon join them. More than a dozen people are moving towards Ase and that squad and will be coming into range after the next post (so in technically 3-4 turns). Obviously your own guys are also doing their best, so it's not like you will have to disable that many enemies.

From Voitleja I will need two Melee Weapon or Shield rolls (whichever is better) for the feints that will happen against you.

Raaz has aimed already, so she can just shoot away. One thing that I wanted to point out though: There are no inherent penalties in gurps for shooting into melee if you have a clear line of sight. One could consider people standing approximately in the line of fire as "cover", but I won't, because I will do something else instead. Should you miss, depending on your margin of failure your arrow might hit somebody else in the line of fire instead. In this case Voitleja.

As for Jo'seph - you're not really in the combat at the moment, sorry. It would take quite a while (a good 30 rounds at least) for anybody to get to you, so it's not going to happen anytime soon, if at all. On the plus side, you can shoot the artillery again in 2 posts (or 5 rounds/actions one of which the Worker at the artillery has already done).
  #59  
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 02:48 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz
Now that the creatures were getting closer, yet none were close enough to affect Raaz, she decided to let loose her arrow that she had aimed at one of the three men around Voitleja, and hoped that this time she would hit.
Dice Regular Bow All Out Attack:
3d6 4, 5, 5 Total = 14


Dice Hit location:
3d6 3, 5, 2 Total = 10

Dice Damage if hit, impaling:
1d6-1 (5)-1 Total = 4


Her hand reached back to her arrows, and grabbed another, as she glanced around the prepare to strike once more.
Actions
Aimed (last turn), full out attack (action #1), reload (action #2)

OOC
Arrows Remaining: 7/10
HP: 12
FP: 11

Last edited by TheDragonQueen; Oct 7th, 2018 at 02:57 PM.
  #60  
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph begins reloading the ballista as he notices that no one seems to be approaching his position.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB