Game Thread Chapter 4: Rushing to War - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2018, 08:09 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
RaazAs the man ran towards her, yet her weapon did nothing she nodded at Gao who ran in to help her out, "Thank you."

When the fighting died down she glanced around to make sure no one else was in danger as she plopped to the floor, tired, and exhausted. Saying to no one in particular she called out, "I may need someone to teach me how to use a blade better...I'm already extremely low on arrows..."

As that reminded her of this knowledge, she pushed herself up of the ground with a groan and went in hunt of any arrows that survived the fight to add to her quiver.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 01:54 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Ase looked down at the woman and turned his face to retreating Ux. He shook his head and backed away toward Wahka, keeping his eyes on her. He felt strong and powerful, and thrilled to be alive offly the pain he felt was magnifying that. So this is combat. This is war. Two groups meet, then fight... I'm so glad we won today. And glad I could be of some use. When he made it to the tree Wahka was in, he simply looked up and said "Thank you" and walked to Sigisa. He was ready to follow her orders, if she gave some.

Dice HT Roll(10):
3d6 6, 3, 2 Total = 11

Last edited by Vulco1; Oct 25th, 2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
"Have they all withdrawn?"
Jo'Seph is uncertain if it is safe to relax quite yet...
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of Peace"Let's get these people out onto the road," Sigisa ordered as she stepped up close to Ase. The human woman closeby had sunken to the floor and dropped her weapon willingly.

Ten yards away Wahka lifted her hood and smiled a broad grin that nearly seemed to split her pale whiteish head in half, so broad did it make her froglike mouth seem.

"People! With us and you will not be harmed further! Grab your wounded!" Sigisa offered up her hand to the fallen enemy and helped her hobble towards the light filtering in from where the jungle ended.

Up the hill on the other side of the Road Mali refused any treatment from Voitleja. She even winced slightly at his words, more than she had at the weapon stuck inside her.

"I have my own gods. I don't need yours," she said bluntly before shouting: "Sheedi! Pull this crap out of me! Gotta learn one of these days!"

The young Ux had sunken to the floor further back the hill as the fight ended and hadn't moved since, his face pressed in between his knees. Ebtsun the Vultureman had remained by the youngins side, holding one of his heavy clawed hands on his back.

At the mention of his name Sheedis head jerked upwards. Tears streaked what little makeup the youth had put on his face this morning, and with a wipe of his hand he smudged it completely before getting to his feet with the aid of Ebtsun and hobbling over to receive a first aid lesson from Mali.

"I killed a man," he said meekly, looking like he would burst into tears again at any moment.

"Ya you did," replied Mali, strangely tender, before starting to command Sheedi step by step through the removal of the blade and the stitching of the wound.

Acorn was in no condition to refuse Voitlejas help, and Bucket pleaded for quick healing. If the Seene had not been so large himself he would have been liable to lose balance as the massive mocha brown human tugged and tore at him while he said his prayer over the battered brother.

"I... that feels better, thank you." Acorn seemed a lot more lucid a few moments later, even able to get to his feet unaided.

"I've been known to swing a blade quite passably, if you need instruction." Yalar, the Uxian Ex-Priest current Swordsman had stepped up to Raaz while cleaning his long curved sabre. And indeed he seemed unharmed, even though he had been in the shieldwall.

Gao seemed unimpressed by that self assessement, but he was too busy to do more than shout as he picked through the belongings of the dead: "Poppycock! He just distracts the Enemy with his sparkly armour and fancy make-up, then he stabs 'em!"

On the road below the bandits that had entered the jungle were driven out by Sigisas and Keshus Squads. A good fifty men remained there lumped together, either unwilling or unable to run away instantly.

Memnesius stepped up to Voitleja with Mohi in tow. The Keita gave his opinion first: "Gotta take the weapons off them right now. Too many legged it already, might reform somewhere further down the road still."

Mohi, the softly spoken Uxian, did not disagree, but added: "We should lend medical help to the wounded, put the worst out of their mysery. Show then we are not executioners, not that it is likely to matter. It's the decent thing to do."

Memnesius spat out onto the grass and laughed a callous cackle. "Yeah whatever - we've done our bit, so let's be quick about it. I want to join the war proper before I'm old and grey."

OOCA lot of chatter, I got a bit carried away with it.

To clear this up: The bandits are broken and not very likely to attack again. Even if they wanted to, they have too few unwounded men now anyway, apart from the fact you always had the better equipment.

Raaz finds two of her (or somebody elses, for that matter) arrows in useable condition.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 08:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
"I'd better check on everyone..."
Jo'Seph goes to the front line to ask how things are turning out and see if it is safe to lower the artillery.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ase stays near Sigisa, spear ready and on guard, ready to fight again if it should break out. I may or may not have killed someone in he fray.
My few sneak attacks didn't seem to carry the fight one way or another and for that I'm surprisingly grateful. This war will carry on, and I'll have to fight in it and eventually kill in it. I'm not sure if it would be better to have been blooded now or hold on as long as I can... I guess it's no matter. I went into battle with the intent and will to kill, maybe that's just as good.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 04:41 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Raaz
She listened to Yalar offer his services and then Gao dispute them. Turning to Gao, she smirked, "Do ya think ya can do better then? I could have each of ya teach me an hour a day, perhaps, and I'll learn quickly and be able to fight better against different types of enemies."

She gathered up the two arrows she found, grumbling that she would have to get more arrows the next chance she could.
OOC
Arrows Remaining: 7
HP: 12
FP: 11

Last edited by TheDragonQueen; Oct 29th, 2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 08:31 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
VoitlejaThe Seene examined the assembled soldiers below at Memnesius's words, and then nodded softly at Mohi's. "Once our medics have finished with our troops, they should help the wounded of theirs," he said. "But that is a request, not an order. Nobody must help them if they wish not to." He paused. "And... yes. The fatally wounded should be helped as well. I will assist with that personally once I am bandaged."The weapons were a different question, and one he wasn't quite sure of the answer to. He had hoped they would all scatter, leaving them too dispersed to reform into a dangerous force, but these 50 remainders could assault a city on their own, and then he would have failed his task. "Take swords and such from them. Anything that wouldn't be used for hunting," he said eventually. "If they mean trouble we should do our best to prevent it, but I will not leave them in the wilderness to starve." He came down the hill with his glaive, ready to stand by as the weapons were taken and help keep the defeated troop in line.

Exhausted as he was from channeling Tappa's power, Voitleja stood tall as one of the soldiers with medical training bandaged his wound. His feelings on what they had done were mixed, as he imagined they always would be, but he was proud of these soldiers. They had fought bravely and well, and that had an effect on him he had not expected.

"Well done," he announced simply, once people were bandaged and somewhat organized. "I will be sure to let Nergui know that every person here fought admirably." He looked out over the assembled soldiers, pausing as he took stock of their condition. "Those who are able, we should begin packing up for our return to the ship. Troop leaders, let me know when your unit is ready to move." With that, he stalked back up the hill, scanning the ground for living warriors who were beyond saving.

OOCEDIT: Added the first paragraph as I forgot to respond to questions. Also added a line to the end.

StatusHP: 14/17
FP: 4/15
Arrows: 9

Last edited by Gaekub; Oct 31st, 2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
"I'll pack up the artillery."
Jo'Seph heads back to the ballista and packs it up to move.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 10:34 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceMemnesius made a face as if he had just bitten into a lemon and slid off his wide brimmed helmet over his long horn. He narrowed his sole eye into the narrowest of slits while the bare sun was shining onto his pale flesh, waving a soldier over to hand him his straw hat to keep the rays off that the Keita were mildly allergic to. After having slid the hat on and sighing he stepped closer to Voitleja.

"Listen - these are soldiers. They don't get to do what they wish, they do what they are told. I'll order my squad to confiscate the weaponry and then we will help packing up camp."

With that he strode off, shouting commands at his men. Mohi remained standing behind, looking blankly at Voitleja. Her own expression was devoid of any indication what she felt about the Seenes style of leadership.

Finally she cleared her throat before announcing loudly: "I'll relay the orders to Sigisas and Keshus squad, and then have my feldshers patch up those not beyond help."

The Ux saluted dashingly before turning on her heel to strode away down the hill, closely followed by her archers - almost none of which were wounded in any case.

Not too far away Yalar laid his long thin saber, now shiny and immaculate again, over his outstretched arms to present to Raaz. He did not deem Gaos shouts worthy of a direct response, but spoke calmly to the Ilder: "It's wise to train with as many people as you can. Only the worst kind of soldier fights only a single enemy after all - the one that is killed instantly. I will gladly spar with you in the evenings on days that permit it. Right now it seems we have a camp to break."

Yalar threw a casual glance back at Gao, who was chuckling lightly, four arms folded over his chest, before the Ux sheathed his sabre again and walked towards the campsite.

Less than an hour later most of camp was packed up again, the artillery was deconstructed, weapons confiscated and as much first aid applied as Soldiers were able to. They were ready to move again, and the squadleaders reported back to Voitleja as much, with their squads loosely in formation on the hill behind them.

Sigisa, the brown furred Argali that led the mixed infantry had something else to report than a job accomplished: "Cap'n - amongst the rabble still down there is a human that reached out to me as we did our duty. Says she speaks the language of many human lands, and that she desires to work for us as a translator. Says she came northwards not to join the invaders, but for that purpose. Shall I fetch the woman so you can lay eyes on her?"

The female Argali continued to stare ahead after having delivered that piece of information, keeping a straight face even though she had become aware that her last sentence was a strange one to speak to a Seene.

OOCWe are about ready to head back to the ship and reconnect with the main army. Since I will still need to see whether Voitleja would consider hiring a human everybody else can feel free to interact with some other npcs or do whatever else they feel like.

Or you know, if you don't have anything else to do just wave me along with a post and I will settle that matter with Gaekub quickly. In any case, feel free to chime in with what your characters think about it though! We'll assume you were all back to hear it.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 11:14 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ase does whatever Sigisa orders her men to do.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 07:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Jo'Seph packs up the artillery to return to the ship.
Things seem to have gone reasonably well here. There were some casualties, but that is to be expected.

His heart is heavy with the strain of war, but he manages to keep it under control for now. His fencing discipline helps.

Last edited by Ericg1s; Nov 1st, 2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 07:48 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
VoitlejaVoitleja panned his eyeless face in what at least the other squad leaders probably now recognized as an indication he was thinking. Memnesius's words had rattled him, although he tried not to show it. Clearly his idea of leadership did not match with those in the wider world, and that only reminded him how ill-equipped he felt to lead this mission. He was determined to try, however, and so when he spoke now it was with authority. "Yes, bring her to me. I will speak with her."
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 10:39 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
Raaz
As Yalar held out the saber, she picked it up from him and swung it away from any people for a few seconds, "Sounds like a fun time. I'm used to be sneaky and killin people before they notice me. This should be an interesting change of pace."

With a smile, she turned back to hand him back the rapier, "I look forward to our evening spars."

Ignoring Gao's chuckle she glanced around for anyone else who needed help. Walking over to Voitleja she whispered, "By your side. I'll be your eyes for a bit while we have anyone coming by. Let me know what ya need."
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 09:01 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Minor Update

Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of Peace"Aye," responded Sigisa before she trod off to fetch the human. A few minutes later she could be seen walking back up the hill, two of her soldiers flanking a woman in a coarse linen dress.

As the human entered Voitlejas field of vision he could see that she was a woman of middle age, stout and lean lean of body. Her face was wrinkled and sunburnt but held a self assured and serene expression. The side of her head was shaved, her brow covered with a bandage on that side, the eye below swollen shut. The rest of her hair was long and unwashed. Voitleja needed Raaz to tell him that it was blonde, not that it mattered to the Seene in any way.

When she came even closer the Seene could see that she was unarmed, naturally, and that she had many necklaces made of beads and string around her neck holding this trinket or that. The eyes of the woman narrowed when she was a few yards away, possibly in fear of Voitleja. If she was scared of the Seene she hid it well, dropping to her knees without missing a beat.

"Great Chief in UxianBegh, my name is Modwenn." The woman held her head low as she spoke, not looking at the Seene. Her hands she had raised wrists upward in sycophancy.

"I'm a mother and Storyteller from the eastern outskirts of Shali. I used to teach the children of our community and in my spare time tried to preserve the language of their homelands. I've never met a person from the North, but I believe I speak the language of Caerphy, Meidling and Saurolo reasonably well. My own children have died, I only wish to serve."

Sigisa noticeably rolled her large eyes as the human woman dropped even lower onto the floor as she pleaded for employment.

"Says she did not raise a hand to strike any of ours," added the Argali.
Closed Thread