Game Thread Chapter 4: Rushing to War - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 09:57 AM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
RaazRaaz watched the woman, her hand on her dagger in case she needed it quickly though it remained sheathed. Her eyes watched the body language of the woman, trying to determine if she was being truthful or if this was just a rouse of some kind.

She had to think like a thief, and a spy. If she was in that position, she would grovel to get close and then react. It was how you had to take the enemy sometimes, by surprise. Instead, she had to be sure.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
VoitlejaThe Seene was silent for a long moment, eyeless face aimed directly over the woman. To the sighted, it looked as if he was refusing to acknowledge her, although that was not his intent at all. "You can stand," he finally said, before twisting his boneless trunk to speak to any squad leaders nearby. "Take her to your soldiers, and ask if any saw her strike us," he said, and then waited for one of them to step forward to claim her. "Once all your soldiers have seen her, take her to the other squad leaders." As she was lead off towards the rank and file, Voitleja panned his head and pinged for the rounded form of Ase. If the woman's story checked out with the soldiers, he wanted someone to check her for any magical ability or items. Ase was his first choice, but if he was not capable of the task then he would find Bezra and Tham and ask them the same.

If no solider could place her as an assailant, and there was no magic to her, Voitleja had made up his mind that they would take her, at least back to the main troupe. However, as she was lead away and before he left to find a mage, he bent down close to Raaz's ear. "If we do take her, I am trusting you to mind her when I cannot. Is that acceptable to you?"

OOCSo just to lay it out clearly, here's what I'm doing
-Asking all soldiers if they can identify her as an attacker
-Asking Ase (@Vulco1) to check her for magical talent or items, and then Bezra and Tham if that's not a spell he has.
-Asking Raaz (@TheDragonQueen) to watch her, at least until we get back to the main camp and I can clear things with the higher-ups.

If she attacked someone (although I would want a soldier to be pretty confident it was her, Voitleja at least thinks most humans 'look' pretty similar) then we're not taking her. If there's any trace of magic to her, I want to ask her about it.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
AseAse, having kept an eye on Sigisa and this woman came to Voitleja when something told him that Voitleja was looking for him. Maybe the way his head stopped in Ase's direction? He went over to his leader.

He looked at the woman and her items. His eyes seemed to lose focus on this world as he tried to open himself to other mystical energies. "Voitleja, I'm not vary adept at looking for magic, I usually just experience it as it comes, but I'll see what I can see."

This whole day, as short as it has been so far, has already been longer and more arduous than most. Simply reaching out with his senses would be a nice break.

Last edited by Vulco1; Nov 5th, 2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Minor Update - Part Two

Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceSlowly Modwenn rose to her feet, still keeping her head down and her empty arms spread wide. She submitted to Sigisa willingly as she was led away to be inspected by the soldiers.

Before the Squadleader reached her men Ase interposed himself to offer his services. The Argali stepped back, unsure of the magical energies involved and let the Raz'ar cast his spell on the human. The woman in turn frowned at the Turtleman as he spoke the words to attune himself to the mana around. The effects were invisible to both the Squadleader and the target of the spell - although there would have been nothing to see in either case. Ase found no more Mana present in or around the woman than the normal level of natural background noise. When it became evident that the examination was complete Sigisa nodded at Ase before leading Modwenn away to the men.

Not all of the Soldiers took the situation entirely serious though. There were some whistles and indecent hollering as the bloodied woman was led from squad to squad. Verbal taunts and physical posturing outweighed them. Eventually Modwenn had been presented to almost the entirety of the small army before Sigisa returned her to Voitleja. Modwenns visage was frozen into a pained expression of forced serenity. Her lips were clenched tightly together, most of the blood having left her face except for the red rims around her eyes and the dried blood on her brow - the last two details only being relayed to Voitleja by Raaz or another Soldier with eyes for colours.

Modwenn was apparently too distraught to speak herself, so after Sigisa had cleared her throat the Argali relayed how things had gone: "None of the men are absolutely certain they were attacked by her. Some reckon she might have been in with the others, seeing as there were a few redheads about - but most humans look the same other than that. She says she got the bust eyebrow when somebody in front of her tried to throw a spear and hit her on the backswing."
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
VoitlejaVoitleja examined the pained woman in confusion. He hadn't expected this reaction from the soldiers, and he felt guilty for forcing her through that trial. "I understand," he said, doing his best to keep his low sonorous voice quiet. "She will come with us. I will take responsibility over her now," he continued, gesturing her towards himself with one long boneless arm. "We will set out to return to the ship as soon as the camp is fully packed." He nodded at Sigisa.

Once the Argali had left, he spoke to the woman left behind. "I apologize for the troops. It was not my intention to have them harry you, only to verify your story," he said. "Stay near me from now on. I will make it clear you are with us now, and not to be harassed." He attempted a smile, a strange gesture full of large flat teeth, that probably did not have the effect he was hoping.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 09:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
"I don't know anything about magic, and I'm not in a position to help here."
Jo'Seph tries to pack the artillery away.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 09:54 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
RaazAs Voitleja leaned in she listened close, though her eyes darted around for threats at all times, "If we do take her, I am trusting you to mind her when I cannot. Is that acceptable to you?"

It took her a moment to understand what was being requested but with a quick nod the Ilder reassured him, "Of course."

She watched the rest of the crew make rude gestures and comments to Modwenn, shaking her head, and clenching her fists at each harsh term. When she returned, and Raaz her Voitleja apologize, she took a deep breath, "She can room with me, if ya like, sir. Keep her from gettin' so much hate. I can take any of 'em that try."

While Raaz was untrusting of the humans, especially after they attacked once given a fair shot to leave, it hurt her deep whenever she saw anyone being picked on, bullied, or destroyed. The look on the woman's face was easy enough to discern as regret, and Raaz did not want her to think this was a death wish for her. She was sure not all humans were bad, and she wanted to prove not all of their kind were unkind.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
AseAse went to find Sheedi. As Ase was doing his soldiering duties around camp and packing up items and storing them away, he had noticed Sheedi seemed distraught. Possibly even struggling with the same issues Ase was. As a teacher and just as maybe a shoulder to cry on, he went to find the young Ux. Or anyone who seemed to be emotionally struggling.

OOC Ase is going to try and find and chat with Sheedi for a bit and maybe lift his spirits. I'm not sure what Sheedi's doing right now.
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign, Month of Peace - Later: On the GalleysStill unable or unwilling to speak out loud Modwenn merely nodded at Voitleja. She listened patiently to Raaz as well before she curtsied clumsily and started to retreat.

"Hold up there if you please," croaked Ebtsun, the Tsing Goun with the deadly composite bow, from somewhere behind Voitleja. He was steadiying Acorn with one arm , quite redundantly considering the human had his brother to help him along on the other side. The three hobbled over slowly.

"If we may, Cap'n. Acorn wanted to ask the woman where her family was from." Ebtsun waited patiently for confirmation, but Modwenn was already clearing her throat to answer.

Modwenns voice was croaky and raw. "My fathers family hails from Caerphy originally, my mothers side from Meidling. I speak both languages, and that of the Petty Kingdom of Saurolo. The language of the Chiefdom of Hietzing is also not very different from my native tongue."

At that Acorn sucked on his teeth while his brother Bucket was studying his face in anticipation of the assessement of the places mentioned. Most people present were vaguely aware of having heard the places of Mowenns ancestry in combination with the possible origin of the Invaders.

"I see," Acorn said at last. "No Hynazci then? Sad."

With a shake of his head Acorn motioned his two helpers to carry him away, leaving Modwenn behind slightly embarassed. Her lips were pressed together tightly, but her eyes betrayed that she was somewhat amused by the incident. In any case, it had distracted her enough to dissipate the air of sorrow around her.

Finally everybody could get to work. With the attention of all of the soldiers now focused on packing up the camp and the artillery it was done within the hour. Shortly after the army was moving away from the site of the skirmish.

Ase found Sheedi silently marching close to Mali. The Ux had his head slightly lowered and kept his gaze fixed on the earth directly in front of his feet. In direct contrast to it the Rak'Ari who held her head high. Her chest wound had been plugged and bandaged by Sheedi, but if one looked closely the drying blood still clung to her crimson scales, making them shiny and slick.

Mali saw Ase fall in with them but immediately turned her head away with a light smile. Sheedi did notice Ase next to him for a solid minute. When he finally did he seemed to be looking right through him. When he finally spoke it was in a quiet voice, barely audible to Ase: "Did you kill?"

The walk back to the galleys seemed easier and pass more quickly. A lot of the soldiers had a certain tension leave them after their first clash, while some of the less experiences were still in shock. It led to some pockets in the columns ejecting hearty laughter while others were solemly quiet and brooding. The Squads felt more tightly knit already, though no Irregular had died yet. It remained to be seen what spirits would be like after their first battle against a competent foe.

OOC@all Nothing happens on the way back to the galleys - I just did not jump forward immediately because it seemed there were more npc conversations coming. I'm certainly all for it, but as soon as that is wrapped up we are moving on.

@Dragonqueen - Since you are travelling on an open galley there are no actual rooms to share, but I understand the sentiment. You could share a bench and oar.

Old Nov 8th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ase
Ase smiled a bit to himself, happy that Sheedi said something and wasn't completely shutting himself off. Also happy to try and help somone through something that he was struggling with. Hopefully the experience of his first real battle hadn't changed him or hardened him too much. "I'm not sure. I sent lightning into the crowd during a sneak attack on their flank. Twice even. I stabbed with my spear" he raised and showed the tip of it to Sheedi, still a bit stained with blood "and drew blood. I feel the most important thing was that in my heart I was ready to kill. I tried to kill. The deed had been done spiritually by my intentions. And I know that Balance, when looking at the larger scheme of things, leaves almost no place for intentions. But there is still a place for it personally, internally, where Balance is of utmost importance. And I can tell that you are imbalanced.

"You have to realize that in life, you must defend yourself. It does no one any good to just let someone else take let alone your life, from you if you still want it. Do you want to live? Your reaction tells me you do. They would have killed you, have no doubt. And just like you, these people probably wouldn't have wanted to. And just like you, they were in a situation where they would have had to. And just like you, they fight for something that's not petty, for their freedom, if what they say is true. You also fight for something larger, for Vivione and your family." Ase waves his hands around indicating the other members of the Irregulars "and your brethren. In my eyes, in what we did today, the scales remain Balanced"

"I know you fell bad, and maybe part of you should. Once killed, the scales shift irrevocably in some ways. But you didn't do anything wrong and you didn't do anything that they wouldn't have done. You didn't ask my opinion or for a lecture, but let me leave you with this. You don't have to answer now but I'm curious to know what you think: Isn't better that you feel bad about it, then feel nothing?"

He kept pace and company with Sheedi, letting him mull over the question or respond or even shrink back inside himself. Whatever the youth needed to make it back to the ship. Content to march silently or keep speaking. Sometimes students need to sit with the lesson. Sometimes they don't care at all what you say. The calling to teach, philosophize and grow the the youth, was still strong in him. Unquenched yet by war or regret.

Last edited by Vulco1; Nov 8th, 2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
"Killing the enemy does change you..."
Jo'Seph avoids the rest of the conversation and busies himself in finishing packing up the artillery and making certain it wasn't damaged.
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 06:12 AM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
RaazStayed next to Modwenn and Voitleja, for a few reasons. Raaz was currently wrestling with who to trust, and with Modwenn being from the enemy, and the people on her team being disgusting towards her after she gave herself up. Also, there was still the inkling in the back of her head that someone here couldn't be trusted.

Who was it? She sighed wishing she had her old roommates to talk to regarding it. Though they weren't super friendly, they could trust each other. At least most of the time.
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 10:08 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonQueen View Post
Raaz
She watched the rest of the crew make rude gestures and comments to Modwenn, shaking her head, and clenching her fists at each harsh term. When she returned, and Raaz her Voitleja apologize, she took a deep breath, "She can room with me, if ya like, sir. Keep her from gettin' so much hate. I can take any of 'em that try."
VoitlejaThe Seene tilted his head to the side and pinged Raaz, attempting to get a sense of her expression. "Yes," he said after a moment. "If you do not mind, perhaps that would be best." He nodded. "Thank you. You have been very helpful today." He remembered her interest in being second in command when they first joined up, and added it to the list of things to speak with Nergui about when they were reunited.

As people were packing up Voitleja sought out Acorn once more, just to ask if he spoke any of the languages Modwenn claimed to. He suspected not from their conversation, but if he (or Bucket, unlikely as it seemed) did, at least they could verify she was truthful on the front.

Regardless, Voitleja lead the group back to the Galley with long strides, careful not to leave the wounded behind but hoping to still keep a good pace. He would quickly fill in the squad leader left behind to guard the ship on the results of their mission, and then hopefully they could be on their way. This foray had been enlightening in several ways, but he was glad it was drawing to a close.
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Afreh Territories, day 6 of the Campaign - Still on solid land, Month of Peace"Sheesh, you sound like Yalar," said 'Mad' Mali after Ase had laid his long speech on the young Ux next to her. Sheedi himself did not seem like he had followed it completely, but in a way the confusion seemed to have pushed away the desparate sadness in his face, now a pale pinkish grey after all his makeup had been wiped off.

The Ux walked on in silence for half a minute. "You do sound a lot like a priest," he finally admitted.

"I don't know about balance. The Gettans talk about that a lot, I think. Myself... I don't know." Sheedi winced slightly as he was forced to think back to the battle they had left behind.

Pressing together his thin lips and wrinkling his brow in concentration he was able to stomach the memory. Eventually he talked again: "But you're saying I had to, right? I know that. I thought I would not feel bad because of things I have to do..."

After another long pause Sheedi added: "I also thought I needed to join up, but I really didn't, did I? Only now I have, and desertion is worse than killing. It'd be like killing a friend."

"Damn right it would be," muttered Mali barely under her breath and nodded.

It seemed like Sheedi had said everything he considered worth saying, as the Ux lowered his head again to continue the march in silence.

Elsewhere Acorn had been questioned by Voitleja about the languages that he spoke. The Human was walking on his own again, yet his huge brother remained close at hand should his strength fail Acorn.

"Eh, not as such, no. I don't know that much about the old continent really, and I only speak the language of Hinazco. I know that Hinazco is supposed to be gigantic, cities paved with gold right in the jungle. I barely know anything about other people that live on the rest of it. It's said our neighbors used to have skin darker than us, almost black, and instead of hair that is straight like ours theirs curled. I know a few Humans on Vinione that fit the description, but I never asked what their home was called. Don't think it would be one of those nations Modwenn mentioned though. I guess they would be filled with people that have skin fair like hers, right?"

Not too far away from Voitleja Raaz was marching. Asef, the To'Ari crossbowman she had patrolled with a night earlier strolled up next to her, a faint smile on his face.

He talked to her casually as they walked on, keeping his voice down, but not so much as to seem conspirational: "Heard you will be sparring with the Priest and the spiky Oaf. Nice to see you are fraternising. One can really get to know a warrior by sparring with him, or so I've heard. I'll be doing something similar this eve. Ebtsun has offered to teach me and the other archers a Tsing Goun game of thrown sticks to pass the time. We will all benefit from getting along better, don't you think? I worry about the Frog though, I forgot what her name was. I might invite her too."

Asef smiled broadly then, awaiting a response. Either way, eventually he gingerly patted Raaz on the shoulder before falling back in the marching column again, probably to talk to somebody else.

Afreh Territories, evening of day 6 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceA good six hours of rowing brought the Ships to the town they had supposedly defended by shattering the group of humans, Habol. The sun had already set, and they had to resupply somewhat anyway, so the galleys dropped anchor a mile away from the village so a camp could be constructed for the night. While one galley could be used to pick up fresh water and food, all paid for with gold supplied by Zaqrah, most of the Soldiers were recuperating around fires built on the beach.

Close to a campfire Yalar was offering his services to Raaz curtly: "I know there has been a lot of rowing tonight, but if it would please you I would happily spar a few rounds with you. Or if you would prefer to start with Gao, he is around here somewhere. Best catch him before he has too much wine."

Most of the other people were in fact either drinking or playing games of chance and skill amongst themselves, much as Soldiers do.

At the same time the Squadleaders had gathered around Voitleja to briefly discuss the orders for the following morning. Sigisa, the Argali that was also acting as Captain on the Galley "Shoalhammer" had a thought to share: "I know these waters a little Cap'n. A lot, actually - I used to be employed on a Merchant ship that ran a route going around the island often. Some of the times we would cut through Black Fist Bay, which is where we are now, instead of going along the coast. It turns a journey of almost a hundred miles down to something like fourty. Some people find it dangerous, what with the weather out on the open water and us only in the small galleys, but we could row that in ten hours easy. Only other problem is losing our way, but if we have somebody up on the mast we can keep the coast in sight for two thirds of the journey."

OOCAlright, time to stop. I did not advance as much as I initially planned, but that is because the other group is still 10+ days behind on the timeline. Ideally I would like to "synch" soon, but that means taking our time. On the other hand the other group has been super fast, so there won't be much filler. As you can tell I do like to facilitate conversation with npcs anyway.

As for those that have not been "offered" an activity by me or have been talked to by an npc (Which I think is Vulco and Eric) - feel free to engage with some npcs yourself (they do all have some backstory, at the very least) or to just wave me along as you prefer.
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 10:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Jo'Seph simply packs the artillery away and then tends to his own gear.
He fared better than most by being distant from the main battle.
He wonders how long he can stay distant and hide behind artillery before he detaches from the price of killing...
Closed Thread