Game Thread Chapter 4: Rushing to War - Page 9 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
Ase isn't surprised the war is still going. Nor is he surprised they did a good job on their last mission. What surprises him, or more accurately hits all the way home, is that they are the first mercenary company in the war to draw blood. He never realized how far onto the frontline he is. And it never quite dawned on him that he was a mercenary now.

He decided he'd have to journal about this once he had a free moment and figure out what being a mercenary, or more specifically an Irregular, means to him.

When he hears Jo'seph speak, he says "Perhaps it's a new artillery? Either way I'd love to get a look at it, if it wasn't going to be firing at us."

Last edited by Vulco1; Dec 6th, 2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Clarification and more flavor text
  #122  
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 06:30 PM
Gaekub Gaekub is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 5th, 2019
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Posts: 322
VoitlejaAt the mention of fire and magic, the Seene tilted his head to the side, partially in thought and partially in concern. Although he had become far more used to the presence of fire in his time outside of his home, it still unsettled him, and he did not relish the idea of facing it in combat. At least it seemed to be more prevelant in naval warfare.. Perhaps he could remain out of the way, as with his limited sonar range he would not be much help in ship to ship combat anyway.

It also brought his thoughts back to Gici, not for the first time. A northern human who seemed to have suddenly acquired magic... it could not be a coincidence. Not something immediately relevant, but Voitleja resolved to keep it in mind.

The rest of the Zaqrah's speech was a blur of unfamiliar place names that the Seene filed away. With the mention of joining the Ux's escort, the Seene straightened his back and give a quick salute. "Yes sir. Thank you," he said. He nodded to acknowledge the order, and then turned back to Raaz. "Raaz, please fetch Bezra, Frederick, Yalar, and Asef. They will come, if able, along with those already in the room."
  #123  
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 09:36 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph is uncertain what is going on here, but tries to follow along.
He is uncertain if he is even following the correct path anymore...
  #124  
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 09:53 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
RaazAs she stepped in Raaz glanced around at the men and women that surrounded her. She listened as the human spoke, and waited to be dismissed. When Voitleja said her name she perked up, "Raaz, please fetch Bezra, Frederick, Yalar, and Asef. They will come, if able, along with those already in the room."

"Aye, I'll leave Modwenn here momentarily and be back in a minute," she dashed out of the tent and searched for the individuals in question.
  #125  
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Zaqrah Irregulars Camp, day 7 of the Campaign, Month of Peace"We don't know whether they take prisoners or not," said Nergui, the Tsing Goun Left Hand of their Employer, at hearing what Jo had mused about the human invasion. "They may have fetched some of ours out of the waters around Bura, who is to say. But as soon as we can take a Prisoner of our own we will find out what their motivations are, your Interpreter will make sure of that. Not knowing much of anythign is causing rumors to fester in all the Free Cities. We have no word how the other Nations of the Bridge are taking the news as of yet."

"Later," interrupted Zaqrah as he raised a hand. He turned halfway towards Voitleja. "I will see you and your men on my Ship, the Burning Hand, within the hour. Dismissed."

The men were quickly fetched and gathered on the hardy Trireme of their Leader. Hundreds of hands of the rowers assured an equally speedy journey northwards to the outskirts of Dimi. The Town seemed squat compared to Purano, constricted by a tall wall around it, with barely any buildings around that cordon of stone and glazed tiles.

Yet at the moment the immediate area was not as bare as it would usually have been, considereing another tent city had been errected here to house even more soldiers. This one was more orderly than the campsites of the mercenaries, as it was the combined armies of most of the Free Cities. Much like Zaqrah had organised his own encampment there was a circular Tent that was much more luxurious looking than any of the others - this is where the Defenders where to plan their next steps.


A tent outside Dimi, day 7 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceThe meeting went much as Zaqrah had planned. They had arrived seemingly late, finding the tent filled with the leading generals and councilmen of the Free Cities in addition to the heads of other mercenary bands and a few auxiliary figures, like a few Mages from the Towers and the House. Beyond those natives there seemed to be only one foreigner: The third son of the King of Taytomac, Prince Tay To Wei. The slick noble had donned a few lightweight parts of a lacquered wooden armour over his silken robes, and was still accompanied by an aging female Soldier as his bodyguard.

Introducing Voitleja had caused quite a stir in the small space that could barely hold him. It made commencing an orderly meeting impossible for a while as Zaqrah and Voitleja were questioned by the crowd of amazed or frightened officials.

Those that were more altert - or in any case not much involved in demystifying the Seene - could see that Zaqrah had most likely planned this as well. The Uxes Squadleaders, including Nergui, Pari and Rauthga had sulked off to whisper in the ears of various more or less important looking people, including the Prince of Taytomac, evidently prenegotiating a few things before the official court of war could start.

The meeting itself started with the combined reports by various scouting ships that had been patrolling the area. The humans had most of their Soldiers in a camp northwest of the city, and around a third of their ships anchored in the bay of Bura outside of the range of the artillery in the village. The humans had brought with them a breed of large and somewhat obedient white wolf, but that was not the biggest of Buras problems.

The invaders had also brought strange and fierce monsters that resembled some sort of snakelike insect or worm, but the giants were apparently not able to eat through the Stone the town rested on - or at any rate not very fast. They had almost broken the walls with these beasts twice, yet retreated both times at the last minute in fear of losing their trump card to the artillery atop the towers of the city. In the same way the Ships dared not come too close when they could just starve out the village and occupy the defensible position themselves in due time.

A part of their fleet they must have left in Meshkou, since only a second third was anchored some 25 miles northeast of Bura, where they had also built a campsite.

Both fleets could communicate with each other in some instantaneous way. Not only the Wizards present thought this had something to do with magic. The rest of the Armada had to have made its way southwards as soon as the besieging part of the fleet saw them on the horizon, which had led to their first crushing defeat.

Fighting them on the water seemed ill advised, or so said a few of the Generals present. Yet a landing party spotted by a scouting ship would have the whole invading aramda descend upon it soon due to the magical means of communication the humans used quite freely.

Zaqrah agreed, but he quickly convinced them that another attack from the sea was what they should do.

It turned out that the Gettan Prince had brought with him five of the heavily armoured "Turtle Ships" the Gettan Mainland was feared for, and the Noble assured everyone that they took a lot of effort to set fire to. He would gladly have them spearhead a hit and run attack on the besieging Fleet while a landing Party transported tools of war and soldiers onto Managh Island. It would be done at nightfall the next day.

Not only this, but Zaqrah promised he would detach part of his troops to see if they could ambush the human campsite northeast of Bura once it was deserted by most of its inhabitants rushing south to try and capture some prisoners to interrogate.

Over the course of a few hours the specifics were laid down by the various parties as they drew and compared maps and plans. As for Zaqrahs Irregulars, only the coordinated Landing Party was discussed. When there was nothing left to plan it all just ended. No socialising after a council of war.

On the way back south on the Trireme Zaqrah had Voitleja and the others called to him up to the front of the ship.

"You did well back West," the Veteran began. "Quite well. I would have you all go north to spring my trap. The way I see it, they will leave a ship up there too, at least one fire-spitter. Bound to have an important Captain. What I want is someone who runs their Ships as a Prisoner. What I would want more than that was a Ship of theirs. You understand?"


OOCAnd I'm skipping forward leaps and bounds again. A lot of exposition to cover too, hence the more sweeping summary of the meeting. And sorry in general for not ever producing shorter posts.
  #126  
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"I'll see what I can do. Taking one alive is a challenge, but not impossible."
  #127  
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 11:23 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Southern Managh Island, Day 8 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceThe Following evening the Plan was enacted. While two thirds of the ships, including most of Zaqrahs were preparing another assault of the enemys fleet on Bura one Trireme was sent out carrying Voitleja and the men he had chosen for his mission. They also sailed north, but in a wide arc to avoid detection from the lighthouse south of Bura, now manned by the enemy.

Five miles north of Bura, out on the open sea, Voitleja and his men were sent forth in three inconspicious rafts to make for the shore under cover of night. They could already see more human ships sailing southwards in the distance, having been detached from the northern camp where they were supposed to kidnap a captain, or ship, or both. They could also see an orange glow reflecting on the clouds in the south - Fire.

Yet their direction lay northwards. Keeping close to the shore they sailed until they saw the strait formed by a small island out at sea behind which the camp of the Humans was supposed to lie. They had prepared themselves, made plans, but now it was the time to act on them. A meeting point out at sea had been arranged for them, where a ship would be waiting to pick them up in around three hours time, waiting there for two hours at most.


OOCAlright, let's get this show moving again. As is alluded to in the text, you are free to retroactively make any sorts of preparation that you feel like. You will get as many ammunition as you like, tools to camouflage yourself and so on and so forth. Just tell me how you prepared, what equipment you are carrying with you et cetera.

You don't have the whole squad with you, but only ten people. Two rafts of four, one raft of two (carrying Voitleja). The rafts could carry more than four people in a pinch. On person will most likely need to remain on each raft, depending on how you plan to approach this once you spotted the camp.

Obviously all the Player Characters are there (Jo'seph, Voitleja, Raaz and Ase currently). It would be sensible to have Wahka as a stealth expert, and possibly Frederick to man a boat. Basically you need to select two people that will stay on the remaining two rafts, and two people that would be able to come with you onto land or onto a ship.

EDIT: Almost forgot the Map of the area.
 

Last edited by Phettberg; Jan 4th, 2019 at 11:25 AM.
  #128  
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph takes some time to color his cloth armor so that he will blend into the background, making use of the expertise of those members of the camp who know how to do this properly. He takes along his swords and 1 throwing spear, but no other weapons, as he needs to travel light for stealth. He wonders how he is going to take anyone alive, given the deadliness of his sword-fighting style...stopping JUST short of killing the person last time was a challenge. He also wonders if he is going to have to deal with more dark magic. He hopes that the invading ships are just using burning oil sprays...
  #129  
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 05:38 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
RaazAlready dawning all black gear, it was unnecessary to change her attire. This was the kind of mission that she was hoping for. Stealth. When they began to prepare for their mission she made sure to bring her grappling hook, her sling shot, some ammo, and her sword.

When they began to board, she slipped onto the raft with Voitleja to be his eyes and ears once more. Raaz kept an eye on the land before her, ensuring that no one was on watch and saw them slowly coming towards the shore.


Dice Perception/Observation:
3d6 2, 1, 3 Total = 6
  #130  
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
OOCI'd say we do what Phettberg says and take Wahka and Frederick with us. I'd say take Sigisa, she did pretty well back in the mangrove forest as one of the other two we take.

Ase - ShipBefore manning the raft, Ase found some jars of clay pitch used to repair the boat. He smeared this onto him as a camouflage, trying to recreate and recapture the essence of beasts he knows hide well and use stealth to their advantage. By lining his spirit up with the beast, he'd also conquer his fear. With that done, he said a quick prayer, grabbed his spear and made his way to the raft.

Having not seen the combat that waged everywhere else and seeing how people comported themselves, he made his advice known that perhaps Sigisa would be a good addition to the landing team. She seemed to have lots of experience and he now knows how well she handles herself in combat. As also knows there's probably a thing or two he could learn from her, in that regard.

Ase - RaftAs the rafts made way to land, he could already feel the second mission he's been sent on would not cause him any less fear or stress. In fact, now knowing what may lie ahead was making things worse. He was glad to have the dark camoflage to help hide his fear.
  #131  
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 04:52 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Southern Managh Island, Day 8 of the Campaign, Month of PeaceKeeping close to the shore to hide the silhouette of their rafts the three boats floated forwards in the direction of the the strait. Behind this narrow point the Human camp should become visible. Speaking of visibility, south of them the main body of the armada that had anchored nearby was already sailing out of sight a few miles away, having not spotted the small group in their dark clothes and camouflage paint as they passed.

The moons were both out, two nearly perfect semicircles - one a yellowish white, the other a gloomy red. Together they provided enough light for the group to spot the three ships that had been left behind by the humans immediately as they passed the sea gate between the island on the one side and beach on the other. The largest of the ships had a distinctly angular bulkhead appearing to reflect the moonlight even from here, almost two miles away, making it very likely that this was one of the fire-throwing ships they had heard so much about. At the moment it was sitting there quiet, though one could see that a few lanterns had been lit up on deck.

On the beach west of the ships there were triangular shapes illuminated by a beachside campfire - most likely the tents making up a sizeable camp.


OOCMoving you along a little, and I'm now making the executive decision who is on which boat:

Boat 1 Boat 2 Boat 3
Ebtsun Frederick Voitleja
Sigisa Ase Raaz
Asef Jo'seph
Yalar Wahka

Frederick and Ebtsun will remain on their boats, unless you plan on tieing them onto something. In the same way Asef will take over Voitlejas boat. At the moment you are close enough together to talk to each other and do some last minute planning or just paddle towards which boats you want to board as a group.

And not only do I have an updated map for you, but a poorly executed illustration as well:

 

 
  #132  
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 08:38 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph tries to steady himself and avoid overturning the boat.
Hopefully, they will get into the human camp without being noticed.
  #133  
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Vulco1's Avatar
Vulco1 Vulco1 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 4th, 2019
RPXP: 613
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Posts: 421
AseAse stays low on the raft. His nerves building as they get closer to action. He whispered to the other members of his boarding party. "We should try hard to take the largest ship, the fire-throwing ship, intact. If we can get on board, out of the lantern light and move quickly, maybe we can take the helm of the ship without raising any alarms. It's possible that we can destroy the other ships with the fire, and get away before the ships we saw leaving come back." He didn't know what to do or say. He's never even really considered being a pirate before, even though the Ra'Zar do encounter them from time to time.

"We may also be able to lock some crew in their cabins. This would get us our prisoners and keep combatants out of the fight. Do any of you know how many we should expect on the ship? Or do any of you more experienced sailors have any insight on how we should approach?" He looked around for any additional insight
  #134  
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 09:01 AM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
RaazAs the boats inched forward, Raaz passed along what was within sight of them to Voitleja, "A camp is on shore, there are three boats that we can see, potentially one of them fire boats."

The motion of the boats was more calming then the ships they were on a few days ago, though it meant she was closer to the water and closer to creatures inside, when made her uneasy. Raaz held her sling shot in her hand, just in case something happened, "I can try to sneak into the camp, and disable some of the men before we get close enough to fight. Or we can sneak onto the ship, but I don't know my way around the ship that well."

She really wanted to sneak into the camp and steal some of their supplies. If they didn't have weapons, or arrows, ooh if she could find some arrows to use for her own weapon that would be even better, "I could even steal some of their weapons and gear, make it so they can't attack us as much."
  #135  
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 06:37 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"Don't get too far ahead of me. I'm not good at stealth, but I can only fight well if I can get close."
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB