Game Thread Chapter 2: Peril at Managh Island - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Fwalin McFundin's Avatar
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 28th, 2019
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Posts: 2,681
Pataya actsPataya pulls his finger out of the hole and dives until he is about 30 feet down. As the boat slows to try and pick up the woman in the water he swims straight up at it aiming for the side opposite the one they are trying to pull her in on and hits the boat as hard as he can with his antlers. He hopes to turn the boat over and put all the occupants in the water. But the boat moves at the last minute and he misses it.
 
__________________
Due to some major issues in RL, I am taking a break from RPGX until December.
Taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Sep 14th, 2018 at 05:41 PM.
  #32  
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Out on the Water, Late Evening, Month of PeacePataya could clearly see that the rescue boats were getting closer to the drowning woman. The boat that he had tried to damage was first to reach her, and a pair of hands entered the water from above. Due to the size of the boat and its relatively slow speed Pataya was able to ram his antlers into its underside just then, having gained some momentum on his ascend.

The blow was not as hard as it could have been, but sent the boat rocking somewhat. The hands that were reaching out for the sinking warrior did not reach her in time, and disappeared upwards again as the boat was sent shaking slightly. The drowning woman sank lower into the water, lower than the full height of most of these northern people, and stopped struggling.


Meshkou, Late Evening, Month of Peace"Who made you the leader, Apprentice Anadar!" A few of the townspeople seemed mildly disgruntled at being ordered around, but shuffled away all the same to collect what could be salvaged from the shops in the inner city. Atale felt like those would be the ones prone to looting and wasting time. Maybe she even wished they would arrive at the south gate too late and be locked inside with the defenders.

"Fire!" As the civilians gathered what they could volley after volley of arrows were released into the nights sky by the archers up on the walls. Against the blackness of night it was near impossible to track the missles, let alone see what they hit.

Anadar had immediately run over to the southeast of the town, where he continued to impatiently wait for the townspeople to gather. After a sizeable amount of civilians had accumulated, easily another hundred or more, he shouted at the group. "Alright, move out then! Catch up to the first batch if you can, but don't think about sleeping before we are out of the swamps!"

The mass of people was slow to get moving. After around half had passed through the gate Blacksmiths Apprentice Anadar waved at the Soldiers above the gate before they started to slowly lower the gate. The slowly descending metal prompted the Townspeople to speed up slightly. In another few minutes they would have all exited the town and would be on the road towards Bura.


OOCBura is around sixty miles away - but a large group of people carrying belongings and food moves very slowly. Atale would guess it might take the townspeople easily five or six days to travel that distance, if not more.

Just as a sidenote, Atale would have no huge problem exiting the inner town should she decide to help out here some more - but I get if she just makes her exit. At some point Pataya must come back to land I guess - but either way, I feel Pataya will be able to catch up with the refugees easily enough so they can meet up again.

Just a look under the hood for Fwalin, with some info that may be interesting for Yoshimi:
 


If there's any questions about this you can hit me up in your private threads. It's a bit of an esoteric part of the rules, and my explanation might very well be confusing.
  #33  
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale
Atale has had good luck with skinks in the past and also begins to admire Anadar's initiative so she decides to make herself known to the apprentice. She waits for Anadar to get a moment alone, and calls to him from a few feet away.

Assuming she can get his attention she will say, "My name is Atale, an Uxian golem specialized in hunting and tracking. I happened to be in Meshkou with a troupe of To'ari dancers before the attack. I can be of service as a scout and sentry. I can help protect the evacuation. But it is...best if I go ahead alone and remain unseen."

  #34  
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Fwalin McFundin's Avatar
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 28th, 2019
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Posts: 2,681
Pataya decides to make a differencePataya realises that he is making a small contribution to the defence of the town as the body of the female sinks towards the bottom of the sea, but knows that killing one soldier will make little difference to the outcome. He must do more damage. He swims to the opposite side of the boat from where the hands appear, reaches out of the water and grasps the gunwale. He pulls it down towards him and hangs on it. When the gunwale reaches the waterline he puts his front feet on it and dives away sop that all his weight pushes down on the boat flipping it over. Having snatched a breath he dives deep in the hope of attacking another boat.
 


OOC: Your rules explanation makes sense.
__________________
Due to some major issues in RL, I am taking a break from RPGX until December.
Taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Sep 16th, 2018 at 04:20 PM.
  #35  
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Out on the Water, Late Evening, Month of PeaceAs soon as Pataya held on to the side of the boat and pulled himself up on it shouts were heard and oars descended upon his body. The rower opposite of him where smacking him with their paddles while two of the soldiers on the tiny deck scrambled onto their feet, most likely the one that had reached into the water and another that held onto them, and the remaining soldier grabbed his spear.

While Pataya tilted the rowboat two of the oars hit him, with the third whacking the wood close by. The first hit him on the upper arm. While most of the force was absorbed by his armour it still stung dreadfully. The second large paddle hit his left hand, the shock of the pain sending a spasm through it which led to him letting go of the boat. As he sank back in the water a numbness settled in this hand, making him afraid that the bones might be broken.


OOCYour right arm is hit, 4 HP damage passing the armour. Your left hand is hit for 7 HP damage, crippling the hand (for now, we will roll for how long the injury remains later). You have five health left and are reeling (half movement speed and dodge defense).

The crippling injury also made it necessary to roll for stun/knockdown - I just rolled that for you here, and you are not stunned (although a -4 shock penalty to anything you do this round remains).


Meshkou, Late Evening, Month of Peace"You're a what?" After stepping to the other side of the gate as it closes Anadar bent down slightly to peek at Atale, not seeing much of her because of the way she had wrapped herself up. "Is that why you have that voice? You mean you're not a kid?"

The young To'Ari sighed and scratched himself behind the earhole as he gazed towards the trail of people walking away from town. "Scout eh? Well, if you think you're faster than us, which you might very well be, you can try to catch up with the first that fled. Everybody needs to push on further until we hit solid ground and got far away enough from town. Ten miles at least. You think you can do that?"

After looking back and upwards at the low wall of the inner town Anadar started to walk down the road with Atale. "If you are really fast you can come back and tell me what those at the front said. I'd rather not have everybody running around like scared chickens if we can help it."
  #36  
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Fwalin McFundin's Avatar
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 28th, 2019
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Posts: 2,681
Pataya decides to make a differencePataya swims down and then away from the boats towards the river. He is badly hurt and he swims slowly and carefully so as to stay underwater for as long as he can. When he has to he rises to breath and then continues underwater until he reaches the shallows. He hauls himself up onto the shore out of sight from the boats and carefully assesses his wounds before binding them as well as he can. He has tried to slow the invaders but he has been hurt and needs to take time to recover. It is time to seek out Atale.
 
__________________
Due to some major issues in RL, I am taking a break from RPGX until December.
Taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Sep 17th, 2018 at 04:52 PM.
  #37  
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale
Atale laughs lightly, a startling sound in the midst of destruction and misery. "Yes, I am certain I can outrun the evacuation. But I cannot be certain the frontrunners will know what to make of me. I will carry your message and return before my dust settles."

She runs south, moving quickly but trying to avoid too much scrutiny.
  #38  
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Out on the Water, Late Evening, Month of PeaceThe columns of rowboats had moved on while Pataya was occupied with the two stragglers. Two had made straight for the town - Pataya assumed going through a rain of arrows before the ports buildings shielded them - while the single rows had made for shore to each side of the town.

Pataya had to wade onto land far away from the village because of it so he could avoid the landing parties, either a good distance to its west or to the north. After spending a little trying he is able to pull out the arrow still stuck in him, bandage it up and put his mangled hand in a sling. It was still throbbing, but as far as he could tell it was severely bruised, but not broken.


OOCYou heal 1 HP, but are still reeling. I rolled HT for you again for the wound. The hand will be functional again after you have healed back up to full Hp, which (unaided) will be in seven days (considering you, as in your character specifically, heal 2 Hp after a good nights rest).

If you go around the long way you can hit the road south while avoiding the invasion in progress, but give me a Stealth check just in case. Since you are reeling you are not great at outrunning things right now.


The Road away from Meshkou, Late Evening, Month of PeaceAtale passes the trail of refugees. The two mile or so people were still frantic, murmuring curses and wining wordlessly to any or all gods they knew as they stomped away from Meshkou.

Further along, with the village disappeared behind the horizon there are more and more people settling onto the moist ground of the swampy lowlands, holding their heads in their hands in bewilderment. There were large clumps of such hopeless people, those that probably had not pillaged even the smallest morsel of food for themselves and now did not know how they could face a march south for days on end.

Further still, closer to the front where those fortunate enough to have hog, mammothrat or oxen to carry themselves or pull wagons. How one could have collected their belongings so quickly was a mystery for Atale, but mysery bred resilience in many.

So busy everybody was with themselves and their despair that few paid attention to the fast moving small figure that was Atale.


OOCNot sure who you will start to talk to or what you will say exactly, so I left it open. The absolute vanguard of the refugees are probably people riding on draft animals.

By the way, in case you were not aware (Both of you): There are no horses this side of the earth in this setting, but large rodents, pigs and the like. Detailed here.
  #39  
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale
Atale presses on hurriedly, attempting to reach the vanguard without falling into a bog. When she see that nobody is paying her any mind, she stays to the road, but keeps herself cloaked. She passes through the strung out throngs of pedestrians, confident from fresh marks on the road that someone must be riding pack animals. At last she sees what she was hoping for...a purplish bloated figure clinging to the back of a large swine trotting steadily along. So far the Uxians she had met were not terribly surprised to meet the magical girl, and showed no signs of prejudice. Plus they tended to command respect. She runs up alongside the animal.

"Good sir! Down here! I bring word from the town, that I beg you to heed!"
  #40  
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 05:52 PM
Fwalin McFundin's Avatar
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 28th, 2019
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Posts: 2,681
Pataya tried to survive to fight againPataya heads further up the river heading as high up the river as he can before starting to head inland. He has to pass by some of the enemy to get free of them and, due to his injuries, and his armour, he makes a splash as he swims down past their boat. He dives instantly and tries to get away from them underwater.
 
__________________
Due to some major issues in RL, I am taking a break from RPGX until December.
Taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Sep 21st, 2018 at 05:56 PM.
  #41  
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 05:08 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
On the cold Moors, Late Evening, Month of PeaceAfter Pataya had put some distance between him and the Invaders he found himself out on the swampland a few hundred yards away from the road. Meshkou was burning brigther now. In fact all of the outer town seemed to have gone up in flames while he had been out on the water. Outlined against the flames he could see the horde of attackers surrouding the town, swarming away from the fires further out onto the moors throwing bolts and arrows towards the castle.

Four or five of the large Ships seemed to have detached themselves from the main armada, gliding towards the languet sticking out west of town. Faintly Pataya could hear the high pitched roar again that he had experienced when he had been floating next to the belly of one of the ships, more muffled even this time, though still sounding like something enormous.

Southwards and inland, amplified by his infravision, he could just about see the trail of refugees heading down the road of stomped earth that led towards Bura, most of it already having gone over the horizon. Luckily they did not seem to be moving particularly fast, because Pataya was in no condition to run.


OOCAs I said, going around on land will have Pataya avoid the invaders completely - so I assumed he would do just that since you did not get back to me in your private thread. Or alternatively if he really wants to stay in the river he could have swum east for a while before getting out of the water.


The Road away from Meshkou, Late Evening, Month of PeaceThe Ux at the front was only half upright, clinging to the back of his laughing hog which was placably trodding along the dirtroad. He seemed only to be at his place in the solemn procession due to the merits of his steed and no accomplishment of his own.

At the croaky sound of Atales voice he lifted his head slightly and brushed away his hood with a flabby hand. Around his yellowish eyes were dark shadows, and he seemed to have problems focusing them on the Golem. She noticed that at his side hung a well worn scabbard carrying a large sabre.

"Yeah, what?" The Ux had to cough and spat out a blob of phlegm before he could continue. "What'd you have to say then, little one?"


OOCSure, there was around a one in three chance at the head of the line would be an Ux, but in the future I would prefer if you let me tell you what your character sees.
  #42  
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 06:03 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
OOC
Sure sorry. From your previous post I was confused about what you wanted me to describe.


Atale
"The defenses are making a brave last stand. The guards wish the evacuation to be as orderly as possible so everyone survives, but many are starting to lose heart and wander lost or fall by the wayside. A few leaders are needed to muster the refugees on the road and lead them onward. Can we count on you, brave Sir?"

  #43  
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Fwalin McFundin's Avatar
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 28th, 2019
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Posts: 2,681
Pataya joins the refugees Now he has made his way around the enemy, Pataya starts to move in a straight line towards the road along which the refugees are moving. As he gets closer, he will encourage anyone who is not walking to start to move south and starts to look for places where a defence could be mounted to slow the advance of the humans. He will also look for anyone who is armed who might be willing to aid him is slowing the advance. Above all, he keeps an eye out for Atale. To his surprise, some of the refugees respond to his urgings and listen to his pleas.
 
__________________
Due to some major issues in RL, I am taking a break from RPGX until December.
Taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Sep 24th, 2018 at 04:46 PM.
  #44  
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
The Road away from Meshkou, Late Evening, Month of Peace"What?" The Ux wrinkled his brow, looking puzzled for a second before a loud burp escaped his gut.

"Oi, Nkasa. Pick it up for a second." At the slurred shout of the Ux a large human woman stepped out from the line of refugees ten yards back and trudged over to Atale and the half drunk man on the laughing hog. She was not only tall, but also stout of body - fat even - and had glistening ebony skin. Her frizzy black hair stuck out from her head in all directions, framing her well proportioned but scowling face. Around her waist Nkasa had rolled a whip of sorts in stead of a belt, two long knifes in scabbards stuck into it.

"Kid says we need to get the crowd movin'. People are falling behind, eh?" The Ux had finally managed to push himself almost upright on the back of his Hog. "Tell Tsehin, we fall back and prod some rears. Could be some coin in it later, right?"

Nkasa smiled only with her mouth but not with her eyes, showing regular very white teeth in the process. Her words were clearly enunciated, but had a very noticeable accent to them that Atale did not recognise. "Whatever you say Keshtar. I will fetch the spiked one."

The two of them turned and let the other refugees pass, falling back to look for any stragglers. They seemed not to mind whether Atale joined them. Clearly they had already grown bored of just marching down a dirtroad running through a swamp, and were looking for something to do in any case. Why they had not been with the actual defenders she could only guess, but probably because they also seemed like strangers on this island.


Further back the Line of RefugeesAfter another twenty minutes of march Pataya reached the back of the line of the fleeing crowd. A To'Ari in a blacksmiths apron was there propping up an elderly Tsing Goun female walking slowly southwards. Briefly the two of them seemed shocked upon seeing the damp and wounded Yatak coming at them from the moors. While the old Vulturewoman continued to hobble southwards some recognition came into the eyes of the To'Ari.

"I know you. You been staying in town... We have to get out of the Swamp, then maybe we can rest a little." The Skink thought about what else to say briefly, but only added: "Please tell those ahead. We can't stop here, you'll catch a rot if you sleep in this damp."

As Pataya advanced southwards he could see that there was not much to defend in this Bog. It was all open field with pools of muddy water and mud that could swallow a man whole, even one of his size. In a way it was a wonder he had not stepped into quicksand as he had crossed it. An army would be greatly slowed traversing this terrain, or better yet take a ship down south where the Swamp ended.

It was for this reason that nobody seemed in the least bit interested in setting up any sort of resistance here - the other being that the people that were fleeing Meshkou were almost all civilians or foreigners. A few hundred men the band was strong. Yet nobody scoffed at Pataya, they were much too shocked and tired for that.

A third of the way towards the front of the refugees later an Ux riding a laughing hog crossed Patayas path. The drunk looking Ux was in the process of hollering at people that had stopped to the side of the road or seemed like they soon would, alternating between cheering them on and scolding them for their idiocy.

The black rimmed eyes of the flabby Person turned towards Pataya, and he smiled broadly, revealing crooked yellow teeth. "My Lord Habmood, look at you! What manner of a creature... you been in a scuffle with the Bad guys then? Did some killing?"

If Pataya tries to enlist the man to find a defensible position he just snorts. "I'm good. You don't look so well either - and besides: The town may hold the night yet, if not a little longer. After it's taken any army worth its salt will sack the town and carouse! If they're a speedy bunch they will get moving again in two days at the earliest."


OOCPataya does not have the strategy skill, so he has no real idea if what the mercenary is saying would be true or not. Let's say it sounds like it has some sense to it. Either way, right now everybody here is pretty set on fleeing and nothing else.

You can interact with the mercenaries that are helping keep the crowd going some more or talk to Anadar the blacksmith, or if you don't feel like you need to you can just tell me to jump forward to the first stop of the refugees.
  #45  
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale
Her mission accomplished, sort of, Atale hurries back to look for Anadar. But on the way she will try to help any refugees who seem to have fallen by the wayside, standing them up and looking for others to have them lean on.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:41 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB