Game Thread Chapter 2: Peril at Managh Island - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Pataya joins the refugees Pataya listens with respect to the blacksmith and mercenary Ux on a hog. He stays near the back of the column encouraging those who start to stop to keep moving and talking to the blacksmith and the Ux. "Surely we must not expect them to take two days to follow. They have 20 hands of boats each with 2 hands of warriors, and many ships some of which can throw fireballs. They are disciplined and vigilant and I was not able to harm them. They will be after us within a few hours. We must watch for them coming down the river in ships to get behind us." He follows the road with one eye behind him for he knows the town will soon fall and the pursuit will begin. He knows he is hurt and tired and needs to rest, but keeps to his duty to protect those weaker than himself. By the time they get close to the place where the road leaves the swamp he has a couple of children and an old female on his back despite his wounds.

Old Sep 28th, 2018, 05:46 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
The Road away from Meshkou, Late Evening, Month of Peace"After us? Why would anybody be after us? These people are civilians." Anadar seemed really taken aback by the notion, even stopping briefly as he considered it.

The Mercenary up on the Hog, having identified himself as Keshtar, also seemed unconvinces. "So they take the castle quickly - fair enough. Though stone don't burn, does it? Regardless - if there were that many boats out there they will bloody well take them, not march inland. Rivers headed that way, away from us."

A rugged looking Getta with at a lot of his snout missing, leaving behind a pinkish furless scar had walked up next to Keshtar, along with a black skinned female human.

"Crowd will walk alright, but only for a few hours more. Jungles edge we could do if we keep it up." The Gettans voice was croaky and not little impaired by his physical disability, but he seemed still in high spirits. In the same way the Human woman seemed unperturbed and folded her arms over her chest.

At around the same time Atale had made her way to the back of the march. Anadar saw her first. "Oh, Atale. You were successful it seems."

The To'Ari threw a sideways glance at the slightly shady seeming armed people next to them before catching himself. "It will be a tough march, but we really can't stop until we get to the edge of the jungle. It's as good a place as any to rest, because rest people must... at some point."

The Hog of Keshtar reared at that moment as if upset by the idea, but the Ux calmed the animal. "I'll leave you to keep up the rear then - we'll be walking up and down the ranks."

With that the three Soldiers left Pataya Atale and Anadar to their own devices. The blacksmith remained at the back of the mass of refugees to try and help people and wait for that had fallen behind.

The Road to Bura, Close to Dawn, Month of PeaceWhat felt like eight hours later, but was probably closer to half that, the terrain rose slightly and left behind the muddy puddles of the bogs to exchange them with green grass and the occassional slender trees of the steppe. The edge of the jungle was within grasping reach as the order was given to back away from the road to set up a makeshift camp for the hundreds of people.

There could not be any debate about this - it was set up camp now or have people breaking down where they marched. As it was the majority of wanderers were more asleep than awake, lurching along the road mindlessly like zombies.

Those thad had come with wagons were ordered - or at least had it very forcefully suggested - to help create barriers with the vehicles around those resting on the soft ground. The suggestion to share food with those that had brought less was not very well received - but for the time being everybody seemed to have something to chew on. Few fires were made,as dry wood and kindling had not been brought by many, but the rising sun warmed the refugees already as they lied down to sleep wherever.

OOCI stopped here in case you had anything you wanted to do or have your characters interact or anything of the sorts. Atale does not need to sleep obviously, but Pataya will need to or he won't recover any HP.

Map so you know where you are approximately (the x marks the spot):

Last edited by Phettberg; Sep 30th, 2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 11:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Atale
As the flesh-based creatures all give into their peculiar weakness of fatigue, the little golem hunches down by Anadar's bedroll for a moment. "I can stand watch all night, with no problem at all. Or...shall I try to track down some meat in the jungle?" Her tone indicates an eager preference for the latter.
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 05:22 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Pataya joins the refugees Pataya puts down those he has been carrying, and helps get the camp prepared. He eats some of the food he brought with him then finds a comfortable place to sleep near the northern edge. As he is taking off his armour, with some difficulty due to his injured hand he hears Atale's words. "Watch over us as we sleep so that all can rest easy. We shall hunt in the morning though my hand is hurt badly enough that I shall not be able to use my spear thrower." The look in his eyes shows it pains him to be so weak and asks wordlessly that she do as he says. Atale senses a friendship in the making if she agrees. After waiting for her reply, fatigue overcomes him and his head falls to ground as he sleeps.

Old Sep 30th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
The Road to Bura, Close to Dawn, Month of PeaceAnadar stood off to the side as Pataya suggested a course of action to Atale, including the invitation to hunt on the morrow.

"We are not short on food right now," the To'Ari offered as advice. "Even though most people grabbed the most useless things to carry with them, almost all brought at least something to eat. It may be an issue in two or three days, but by then we should have pushed through the jungle ahead..."

"If you are not tired then... maybe it would be better if you kept an eye out?" Anadar seemed a bit apprehensive about suggesting this course of action. Probably he had not completely understood what Atale had told him when she revealed that she was a Golem made my Uxian magic. Regardless, It sounded sensible and mostly settled it. Whether Atale would hunt with Pataya the next day or not they could decide then, but an unsleeping Guard was invaluable to keep the camp safe.

"Brought ya some stew." Kenshar the Ux had walked up with a clay pot containing a thin stew made of random boiled ingredients, unbeknownst that it may be revolting to Patayas palate. Regardless, the Ux set the stew down next to him and looked back towards the camp before adding.

"Me and mine will be patrolling the perimeter a bit as well. This ones talk got me all paranoid. Get some rest though, you looked all banged up." With a flabby hand Kenshar pointed at Pataya and laughed a cackling laugh before walking away again.

Around five hours laterWhen the sun had already risen most of the way to noon, slightly blocked by whisky clouds hanging above, Atale was almost about to stop her watch. Some people were already stirring, awoken by the increasing heat, so it seemed like there was not much point to it anymore.

Just as Atale spotted a lone figure appearing on the horizon, moving down the road southwards, the dark skinned human woman stepped up to her. She looked tired to Atale, who had learned to read the signs of this ailment on the fleshy races. "You got a bow, no? It's just a man, but if it is the enemy we should pick him off quickly."

OOCPataya heals 2 HP, is no longer reeling (but close to it).

Last edited by Phettberg; Sep 30th, 2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 07:28 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Atale
Atale peers into the distance but cannot make out anything about the approaching human."No, Mistress. I do my fighting up close. But I can be upon him before he knows I am there. I will go see what I may, if you will lay an ambush in the jungle.". She gestures to the slowly rousing Pataya. "I am sure nobody will get past the big one. If I do not return soon, feel free to come after me."

Atale will run up the road until she judges she is getting too close to the intruder, then will slip off to the side and try to
Dice stealth:
3d6 4, 2, 2 Total = 8
approachunawares.

Old Oct 1st, 2018, 05:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pataya joins the refugees Pataya ate the stew and then slept, dreamlessly and without concern as he knew he was being guarded. As he wakes he sees Atale talking to the dark skinned woman and then she rushes off. He stretches his shoulder and hand noticing they are slightly better, then dons his armour and collects his weapons. He strolls over to the woman just as Atale leaves the road and disappears heading towards the figure on the road" She is a lively one. Brave as well. She will be a good companion. Do we move on soon? Do we know who the stranger is? "

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Oct 1st, 2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 05:42 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
The Road to Bura, Close to Dawn, Month of PeaceThe open steppe close to the jungle was not naturally an easy place to stalk through. It was marginally better than the swamp, considering the grass grew over a foot tall here and there were strangely shaped trees with smooth barks chewed bare by the local fauna. For Atale all of this was much less of a problem. She had the heigth for it, and the resilience.

In little to no time she was close to the unknown figure making their way down the Road. The nearer she got the clearer she could see, and finally she realised it was a Raz'Ar Soldier staggering down the path - a Turtleman. Or woman, for that matter, Atali did not know how to tell the difference. The wrinkled creature wore a soot and blood stained bronze chestplate and ill fitting second hand helmet. Some of the blood may have been of the creature itself, there were certainly some minor wounds visible where the Turtle had its softer flesh exposed.

It's blueish shell was stuck with two dozen arrows, having earlier made Atale assume she was seeing a Getta in the distance. The face was haunted but determined. The Soldier did not bother to look left or right at all, merely ahead as it walked on and on while it still could, panting wheezing breaths.

Back campsite the Human woman continued to stare after Atale, tracking the small Golem by virtue of knowing where she had entered the tall grass first and what her target was.

"We should break camp as soon as we know who walks there," She said evenly, as if they were discussing what to have for breakfast. "Yet many will not be able to rouse themselves this early, or to move quickly afterwards... the old, the sick, the very young."

Having made sure Atale had reached her quarry the woman called Nkasa turned towards Pataya and looked him up and down before speaking again. "At an accelerated pace we will shed many of the weak in the jungle. If what you expect this army to do holds true it is necessary, yet I will advise the beater of metals to split up the trail in two - one part slow, one fast."

Her eye trailed away, and if Pataya turned around he could see that a few yards behind then Anadar had also awoken and was speaking with the Keshtar and Tsehin, the disfigured Getta. They were too far away for Pataya to really hear what was being said, but Anadar frowned slightly. It may not mean much, considering the Skink had held a constant look of worry and displeasure on his face since last night, as had many in the trail.

"Maybe that's what they are telling him right now, or the opposite. I do not know." For some reason it made the human woman smile.
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 06:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale
Atale nods in relief. She steps out into the road behind the Raz'Ar and calls out "Halt, friend!"
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 06:14 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
The Road to Bura, Close to Dawn, Month of PeaceThe Raz'ar stopped abruptly, almost tipping over backwards from the strain of decelerating its bulky body. The weary red rimmed eyes of the Turtle sized up Atale for a moment, though it seemed clear there was little energy left in the Soldier for mistrust. The Turtle almost flung himself at Atale, falling down on its knees close to her.

"Meshkou is taken," mouthed the Raz'ar with a raspy voice between panting. "We thought we.... scattered them too badly, they set up siege."

The words came in bursts as quick as the Soldier could manage. It sounded like there was more to tell than he could bear to now, but he needed to unburden himself of the essence as quickly as possible. "They burst through the ground. A Monster. Dragon... a Snake, some Sort of fiendish Worm. Then they were inside..."

The Turtle blinked and wiped the sweat and grime out of its eyes before looking up at Atale, not noting the peculiarities of her Golem shape much. Then the Soldier fainted, falling forward face down into the dust.

OOCNot trying to rush you Fwalin - just thought since I still had some steam left I may as well cover what's happening away from Pataya. When it is mostly talking and I find myself with the time I may occasionally answer to only one of the two of you - much like what I am doing in the main threads with "minor updates" - but I don't do them twice in a row, so next update is after both of you have replied.
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale
The golem girl shudders. She says dully, "I tried to tell them to run. Speaking of which, help is near." Unnecessarily, she adds, "Don't go anywhere."

Atale runs at top speed back to the encampment. She cries, "A Raz'Ar soldier with news of Meshkar has fainted on the road." She prods Pataya, "Come help me aid him!"
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pataya joins the refugees Pataya looks down at Atale and heads off down the road until he reaches the Raz’ar soldier. He picks him up and starts back along the road towards the others. When he arrives, he calls for water and starts to clean up the soldier. " Help me! A brave warrior lies here in need of our aid " He looks around at all the others especially Anadar. "We need to move on as soon as we can. They have weapons we do not understand and the town has fallen in hours, not days. They will be coming!"

Old Oct 5th, 2018, 04:31 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
The Road to Bura, Close to Dawn, Month of Peace"Get a Feldsher!", shouted somebody that saw Pataya coming back carrying the wounded Turtleman. It turned out that neither the local apothecary nor barber-surgeon had made it out of the city, either staying behind to defend it or having perished in the flames before. The only one that was at hand that had any experience in field medicine was the local veterinarian, Agarchos an elderly Keita.

"Egh, he ain't lookin' so bad," the wrinkled Cyclops said from out under his wide rimmed stray hat - keeping the sun away because his kind was allergic to it by birth - as he was pulling back the skin underneath one eye of the Raz'Ar. "What's sticking in his back's not hurtin em'. Some cuts and bruises... Exhaustion... needs water mostly... and rest. I'll bandage the bugger up for ya."

As the Cattledoctor started to apply boiled rags to the mans wounds the Soldier quietly recounted the first part of his story again before moving on to more news: "They burst through the ground with their monster and I fell off the wall. I woke up not much later, judging by the fires, and the humans had already opened the gates and were marching inside. They'd thought I was dead I guess. They had no steeds nor draught animals with them, but I saw a bunch of huge white wolves eating some of our cattle. I didn't see the worm monsters then, and I don't care to ever again. I crawled away from the castle and at some point I ran..."

After the Soldier had finished Anadar nodded somberly towards Pataya, Atale and the stranded Mercenary trio before he stepped away to one of the campfires, now extinct. A lot of the refugees had already gathered to see what had transpired to cause the commotion.

"Meshkou is taken," he started in a slightly shaking voice, having difficulties to rise above the noise of the chattering people around. Some of the refugees had already heard when Pataya had shouted it coming back from the road, for others it was a shock to hear.

"Even though many of us are not fit for long travel we will have to move on. Through this jungle at least, until we hit the next plain where we can set up another camp. It may take us three or more days, and we have almost no wagons or even animals. I thought about this..." Anadar paused briefly, clearly looking like he was uncomfortable in his new role as leader. There had been nobody that seemed to want to step up instead though.

"We can't stay in the open, but some of us won't be able to make the whole trek unaided. I need able bodied volunteers to advance ahead of the group, to get to Bura and organise a rescue party with Carriages. Only a few men, as there will still be a need to keep the group safe from the dangers of the jungle..." His voice trailed off, and he winced slightly as he stared into the crowd, waiting for volunteers.

OOCAlright, some meta talk: It's up to you if you want to be the guys to go ahead or not. There is danger and certain consequences either way.

Technically Atale could just run down the road nonstop and make the trip to Bura in record time, but the Jungles (two big ones to go through) are not very friendly up here. If she got stuck in an ambush by natural predators or the more savage races being alone could work out poorly for her.

But you know, just some information so you can make an informed decision. Pataya is up to hike in earnest again, though he should avoid being caught unable to defend himself again or that might change.
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale
Atale steps forward. "Send me. I lived most of my life in the jungles and plains, before...Anyway, nobody is likely to be faster than me on foot and I can reach Bura before you know it. But perhaps another warrior on a steed would be wise, in case there is danger on the road."
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pataya steps forward Pataya listens carefully and when he hears Atale's words he steps forward alongside her. "I am not going to say that I know much about your jungles but I am a Puki Warrior and it is my part to help others. My hand is hurt but healing, I shall go with Atale to carry the message. I suggest that a citizen of Meshkou who is known in Bura should travel with us so that they believe what we say." He stands proud in his armour with the wounds he gained in the defence of Meshkou evident. Atale can see that he is still in pain but that he is ready to support her run to Bura.