Game Thread Chapter 2: Peril at Managh Island - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Atale nods in agreement with the bear's suggestion.
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 06:28 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
The Road to Bura, Close to Dawn, Month of PeaceAnadar turned toward Atale as she offered her assistance, not looking particularly surprised but still having a slight frown on his face. The weight of command seemed a burden upon his shoulders, sending men off to danger not having been part of the duties of an apprentice blacksmith.

"I thank you. You have done much today, and you would do even more... and we don't even know you truly. I don't know if we will ever be able to thank you approprietly."

Turning towards Pataya the To'Ari nodded in the large mans direction as well. "And you as well. It's... we will see to it that you have somebody that is known in Bura. A Trader perhaps. We'll also provide you with some of our shared provisions, so you won't have to forage too much."

Anadar talked with some of the bystanders for a while, sending them out to find whom and what was required in the makeshift camp. The three foreign Mercenaries had stepped off to the side as well, talking quietly amongst themselves.

Ten minutes later some of the refugees carried over a sack of dried foods and a few waterskins before Anadar appeared with one arm around another of his kind, a small Skink with the scales the olive colour of fallen leaves just before they start turning orange or brown.

"This is Eshkis, daugther of one the more prolific traders of Meshkou." Anadar let go of the kid and cleared his throat. "Her father did not make it, but she's been down to Bura before and has family that will vouch for her."

The young To'Ari bowed slightly before Anadar pointed towards a scabbard that was attached to her belt. "The young lady also has a sword, and has been taken lessons. She's eager to go and of healthy body. I am sure she is fit to accompany you."

At that moment the ebony skinned human woman was riding up to the talking group on the laughing hog of the Uxian Mercenary. "Keshtar would like to donate his horse to this venture, under the condition that I ride it. The beast will carry me and the young Skink easily."

Nkasa lowered one hand down and helped Eshkis onto the back of the Hog before turning the steed towards Atale and Pataya. As some of the refugees slung the rations onto the Hog Nkasa spoke to Atale and Pataya: "I have spent much time in Jungles back in my home. So never you worry."

Without another word the Woman started to trot down the road. She threw a glance back at her two companions, who bid her farewell with the understated nod of Veterans.

"Hurry if you are so quick!" Nkasa shouted from atop the Hog as Eshkis clung to her midriff. Some of the refugges waved, while Anadar had a pained look on his face as he watched the group leave.

OOCAnd we are off. I'll assume you will walk all day, so you can inform me of the kind of march order you would prefer and of anything else you might want me to know about how you are traversing the jungle road. Of course I also recommend engaging with each other or the npcs - which is rarely posts wasted.

You are limited by the speed of your slowest member, which I think would be Pataya (because of all the equipment carried). So I will only need a Hiking Roll from him to see how far you come on the first day.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Atale

Atale pats Eshkis on the back. "I am sorry to hear of your father's passing. We will fight to ensure that the rest of your townsfolk come through this crisis." She nods at Pataya, "Let us help these poor people, great bear!"

Then Nkasa offers what seems like a challenge. Atale mutters, "Do you think I can't outrun a pig?" Then forgetting the darkness of the situation, she laughs breezily and runs to overtake the riders.

OOC
Atale will try to run ahead, keeping everyone else just within view, unless the rest of the party talks her out of it.

Last edited by Yoshimi; Oct 9th, 2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Pataya steps forward Pataya sets off after the figures on the pig as fast as he can and then sets a pace that he can keep up for as long as possible. As he runs alongside the pig he asks the riders "What s Bura like? Will there be warriors there who may be able to help us match these attackers?" He runs alongside the pig and watches Atale in the distance and hopes that she is not so far ahead that they will not be able to support he if she is attacked. Despite his wounds, he is able to make a good march and keeps going for all of the day before he starts to feel the need to stop and rest.

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Oct 10th, 2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
The Road to Bura - Deep in the Jungle, Afternoon to Evening, Month of Peace"Pace yourself, small woman!" As Atale zipped past the slender hog whose perpetual sneer gave it its name the human Woman called after her jokingly. The group slowly entered the Jungle, which seemed to close tighter around the road the deeper they went. Half an hour later the green almost formed a canopy above their heads even though the road was wide enough to accommodate two small wagons at once.

As Pataya jogged up to the Riders and asked his question both women remained silent for a few breaths. Nkasa looked sideways at Pataya, knowing that the question was surely directed at the native of Managh Island - the traders daughter. The young Skink in turn had lowered her head at the mention of Buro, almost touching the back of Nkasa with her forehead.

The human clicked her tongue. "The girl just lost her father, did she not?"

"Maybe we should ride," was all Nkasa got out before the To'Ari lifted first her hand to silence her, then her head. Before Eshkin spoke she cleared her throat.

"It's not much different to Meshkou. Small... little smaller maybe, if you count only those living there all year round. Then again it's more alive, what with being so close to Dimi. More people passing through."

She paused for a second and winced at the memories she was conjuring up, most likely because they involved people now dead or lost, first amongst them her father.

"I never thought about it in terms of warriors - though I suppose where there is trade there are guards. Guards are not Soldiers. They keep thieves and bandits away, not invading Armies. Soldiers will have to be sent from Dimi..."

"But Bura proper sits atop a tall cliff," she continued. "I don't think they could be attacked from the ocean. The docks are a hundred feet below the town, where the trading is done, with only a few narrow stairs running up the rock wall. They move the goods they need themselves up to town with a platform they raise with a hoist or windlass - I've seen it myself."

She rubbed her eyes and groaned wearily. It drew a slight smirk from Nkasa sitting in front of her on the laughing Hog, which luckily the To'Ari could not see.

"That's all I can really think of right now," concluded Eshkis. "I've not been more over a year. Might be something will come to me later."

There was not much more to say, unless Pataya had any more specific questions about Bura. Either way, they walked on.

Atale had been keeping her eyes on the road and the jungle to either side, without seeing or hearing anything untowards. The noise level in a jungle was quite high, so the chirping of insects or the calls of birds and other animals she could hear plenty of, but nothing that immediately screamed "Predator". For a while now she had noted that there were multiple tracks of riding animals and wheels pushed into the mushy dark earth. At least one wagon had passed this way, and judging from the distance between the imprints at least one rider going very fast on a Swine.

Back near the Riders Pataya was also keeping his eyes open as they walked on. It was much the same for him for the most part. He heard animals galore to either side, life in teh jungle going about its business, and he saw the prints on the ground next to the ones that Atale left.

Only once thought Pataya he saw something strange. Early on during their hike, not much after he had talked to Eshkis, he caught a faint glimpse of yellow orbs moving somewhere in the trees above. He could swear they were eyes, but could not see the creature they would have to be attached to. Then they were gone again.

The Jungle was a harsh mistress, and it was hard to keep a good pace in the moist heat within it, yet the group managed to make more than twenty miles of headway at the very least. After Nightfall they were eventually too tired to go on further - at least those that felt any fatigue at all - and they needed to set up a makeshift camp.

OOCDistance is adjusted due to terrain. I rolled all your perception checks in secret, and will continue to do so, but it never hurts to tell me the nature of how you keep an eye out (as in what do you pay special attention to, which senses do you favour over others, how you organise the watch during the night or whatever else you can think of).
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale

The golem girl helps the others set up the camp.

"You meat creatures should get your rest. I can keep watch all night. Unless it rains heavily. Then I would be obliged for a tent."

She will move around the perimeter of the encampment, changing positions every hour and otherwise standing still and listening, peering outward from the camp and scanning all around visually, with her spear ready.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 10:33 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Pataya sleeps deeply Pataya settles down under Atlae's protection and goes rapidly to sleep. With the drain of his wounds, the days hiking has been particularly hard on him. He takes his armour off, but sleeps with his weapons to hand in case of attack. He trusts Atale to wake him in time to pick them up at least.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
The Road to Bura - Deep in the Jungle, Late Evening, Month of PeaceA makeshift camp was constructed where there the dirtroad had thickened slightly. Construction one in the jungle proper had been out of the question, and travelers passing through tonight weren't likely in any case.

Nkasa started a small fire with a piece of flint she had brough with her on the road, to keep the wildlife away she said. Indeed the Jungle seemed more alive than ever at night, or at least louder. The Swine they bound to a tree close to where they hung a leather tarp to keep the moisture off. Soon everybody but Atale was asleep.

An hour or two later Eshkis stirred a bit before she sat up with a moan. She looked over at Atale with a groggy expression and frowned slightly before touching Nkasa by the shoulder. The To'Ari whispered something to the woman before lurching away into the jungle.

Nkasa sighed and sat up on her sleeping bag. She looked beyond tired as she looked over to Atale. "The girl is taking a leak. She could have told you of course, but she does not seem to like you. Afraid I'd say."

The human rubbed her red rimmed eyes with the back of one hand before continuing. "Keshtar said you've neither flesh nor blood. Says he's seen such as you in Vinja - tall ones though. Bronze or Stone Guardians. I'm not afraid. I've seen some things in my days - North. Never seen one like one her either."

Nkasa chuckled softly and let herself sink back into the bag. She spoke softly once more, looking up into the canopy of leaves through which only few stars could be seen. "As novel as you two are, I reckon I seen worse than you. Someone to keep watch, that's the real ticket."

OOCIf Pataya has anything that he would want to say to this you can consider him having woken up briefly. Otherwise it's about Atale and Nkasa only, and I will advance after Yoshimi has posted.

As my posts have become big-ish I just wanted to break things up.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale trips lightly over to Nkasa. "I am used to it. People fear what they do not understand. But the Ufan are not dangerous unless we are provoked.". She suddenly giggles and twirls once. "The metal and stone guardians are not truly alive. But I was baked in the Sacred Oven by my own parents. The secret ingredient was love!" She laughs wildly. "And I call noone Master! Look, no strings!". She holds out a small brown arm.

Last edited by Yoshimi; Oct 15th, 2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
The Road to Bura - Deep in the Jungle, Late Evening, Month of PeaceNkasa rolled on her side and smiled a toothy grin at Atale as she was doing her little dance. The laughing hog that had settled nearby raised its head and neighed at the same time as Atale broke out in her own laughter.

The human womans eyes seemed to shine brightly in the gloom of the night as she took in the jovial scene.

In response to the noise she put on a mock frown and said in a faux-scolding voice: "Now you two, be quiet or you will wake the big one."

"EEEEeeeek," a shrill scream cut through the laughter and the noises of the jungle. After it was cut short the surroundings seemed eerily quiet by comparison.

Nkasa scrambled out of her sleeping sack and upright, her dagger suddenly in her hands. She cursed in her native tongue loudly before shouting: "Wake!"
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale brandishes her spear and closes ranks with Nkasa. She calls out, "Eshkis?"
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 04:11 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pataya is rudely awoken Pataya hears the scream as he dreams of the endless ice of home, and his reactions kick in. He rolls over and stands with a spear in his good hand, as his eyes scan the direction the scream came from allowing his infravision to detect the screamer in the darkness. Once he spots them, he moves towards them as quickly as he can.

Old Oct 21st, 2018, 02:01 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
The Road to Bura - Deep in the Jungle, Late Evening, Month of PeaceInfravision or not, the general direction of where the scream had come from was apparent even with the noises of the jungle about. Nkasa waited only a few breaths to check on whether Pataya had woken from his sleep, rushing forward into the green as soon as Atale stepped up next to her. It was up to the Golem whether she wanted to follow in to the moist shrubbery - which would be unpleasant for her, yet not damaging. Pataya made up his mind more quickly. A second shout could be heard in the night.

Less than ten paces into the jungle they found Eshkis, luckily decent again, with her back to a palm tree and a small knife in her hand. A cooking utensil, not a weapon by any means. Three steps away from her two small green creatures shambled about, hardly visible at first glance until they turned their heads towards the three that had just appeared, their amber eyes reflecting what little light had filtered down from below. They held wooden spears that were little more than sharpened sticks.

The creatures standing little taller than two feet looked like not much of a threat faced by the three armed warriors, yet Patayas Infravision revealed the gravity of the situation. Above he could see that almost every tree had another of these creatures or two hanging in their crowns, leering downwards. A good dozen on a quick count.

Neither Atale nor Pataya knew what these creatures were, and only Pataya had any right to be at all frightened. As far as Atale and Nkasa was concerned the young To'Ari had attracted some territorial wildlife, which would be easily fought off.

OOCRolled Naturalist for Atale, considering Pataya would not be knowledgeable of jungle creatures regardless of skills. Evidently the roll did not succeed.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 05:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pataya charges in Pataya sees Eshkis under attack, and despite the odds against him the code of the Puki kicks in. He raises his spear and charges towards the two figures attacking her roaring loudly to intimidate them and chase them away. As he reaches them, his spear stabs down towards the nearest foe but misses.

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Oct 21st, 2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 12:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale
The golem follows hard on the heels of Nkasa, ignoring the moisture that flicks onto her exposed face from the droplet-laden vegetation. When they arrive at the clearing, she stops short, spear readied, and looks all about at the small jungle creatures surrounding the To'ari girl. Before she can react, Pataya charges.

She cries, "Easy, great bear! If they wanted Eshkis dead, she would have been killed before she knew she had company!" But realizing it may be too late to stop a conflict now, she dashes up to try and shield Eshkis from harm. "Stay behind me!" Atale takes a step forward to position herself defensively in front of Eshkis and will attempt to
Dice parry:
3d6 5, 6, 6 Total = 17
parry an incoming blow.

Last edited by Yoshimi; Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:07 PM.
Closed Thread