Game Thread Chapter 2: Peril at Managh Island - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
The Road to Bura - Deep in the Jungle, Late Evening, Month of PeaceThe closest of hunchback little creature shrieked as Pataya rushed forward to stick his spear into the soft earth close to its feet. Both fiends stumbled backwards, clutching their primitive weapons and staring at the newcomers out of oversized yellow eyes.

Atale had time to step up in front of Eshkis, who circled away from the jungle creatures. Out of the treetops more of them dropped down to join their two brethren. They shuffled about wordlessly and scowled at the larger people, for the moment seeminly unsure about a next course of action.

"Up North we call this Obune, I think..." Nkasa had slowly edged towards Eshkis and was now behind the To'Ari and Pataya and Atale. "They do not look brave - but let's not give them time to consider..."

It was not clear whether the human meant retreat or attack, but indeed there seemed to be boldness creeping into the eyes of the little monsters the larger their group grew. With the high temperatures and the plantlife about it was not even very clear for Pataya how many were hiding amongst the treetops still.
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Atale says sternly, "If they do not attack us, they do not deserve to die simply because we trespassed."Her tone indicates that she has serious views on that subject.

"Let's stay close together and back slowly toward the road." As she speaks, she shifts her spear to her right hand and pulls her only precious possession out of her belt pouch...a single copper piece. She holds it out to one of the creatures in an open palm and murmurs soothingly, "Go on, take it...we meant no harm.".
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Pataya backs up Pataya follows Atale’s instructions and moves backwards, spear raised but not making any attempt to attack. Eshkis is now safe and he has achieved what he was trying to do. He stands between the others and the small figures as they move back out of the forest and back to the road. If the figures attack he spears the front one to put the others off

Old Oct 28th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
The Road to Bura - Deep in the Jungle, Late Evening, Month of PeaceThe creatures stayed back, watching the larger people warily. They did not seem to actually understand what was being said to them, but the furthest showed some recognition that they were being adressed.

While Pataya moved backwards shielding Eskhis Nkasa remained off to the side where she could witness was about to happen. She had lowered her hands slightly, although she still clutched her large Daggers.

"Might be smarter than they look," the human whispered as she studied the little monsters.

They were exchanging small yaps of some primitive language, seemingly discussing their own options. There were now a little under a dozen of them on the jungle floor, with again as much still hanging up above in the branches of the trees.

After some wild verbal back and forth amongst the creatures they seemed to have reached a sort of agreement, as one of them was pushed forward slightly by the others. It seemed unwilling to come closer to Atale at first, but was encouraged with yaps and howls by its clan. Eventually it slowly creeped over on all fours, tense as a spring. Its face was distored into a fearful snarl as it snatched the coin out of Atales hand before quickly running back to its friends.

"I'd recommend backing off now," mumbled Nkasa as she herself stepped backwards off the clearing and pushed slowly through the bush towards the road.

Up in the treetops there were eyes following them as they made their way out of the jungle proper and onto their camp close to the road. Being aware of the creatures now they were hard to miss, but it seemed like they were not really trying to hide either anymore.

Nkasa sighed before she recommended further action: "They may be more interested in food. If we left them scraps and moved our camp down half an hour they might leave us be. Most of us need to sleep eventually."
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Atale
Atala says, "I agree with Nkasa. And no more solo ventures into the jungle." She says that like a scolding mother. She will help Pataya break camp and march with him at the fore if he agrees, as there has been no time to talk up until now.

"I have lived long and traveled widely but have not seen your people before. Where do you come from and what brought you here?"
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Pataya backs up Pataya quickly dons his armour and moves off along the road. When Atale comes alongside him and spealks to him he takes a few moments to consider his answer then says "I am Pataya Ilaq-Puki, a Yatak from the Eternal Ice of the south. In the name of Cupil, the Great Whale, I have been sent out to find out about the world and report back to my clan leaders." He says no more as of he cannot see what else there is to say.

Old Oct 28th, 2018, 10:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale
Atale gives one of her surprising giggles that always seem out of place. "Then it is lucky you met me, Pataya Ilaq-Puki! For the Ufan are unique in all the world, and will make a memorable story for your clan. If you can convince them it is true!" One of her beady purple eyes seems to sparkle and fade in the shadows of her hood, giving the impression that she is trying to wink.

Last edited by Yoshimi; Oct 28th, 2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 03:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pataya makes a friend? Pataya chuckles." You are correct, Atale. But they will more interested in the fact that there are agressive nations attacking others. They may be a threat to the Yatak. As a Puki, I must fight against the aggressor. And we shall find out more about each other and our peoples."

Old Oct 30th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
The Road to Bura - Deep in the Jungle, Late Evening, Month of Peace"Keep your eyes on the trees." As the group packed up their sleeping arrangement Nkasa kept turned towards where they had exited the jungle. As was expected there were eyes still watching them when the work was done.

The human woman picked some meat they had roasted over the fire earlier and put it down upon a banana leaf as an offering for the little monsters. Finally she collected two half burning logs out of the fire so they could start one anew half an hour down the road.

Eshkis seemed to be still in shock and trudged after the group in silence. Nkasa did not seem to be particularly interested in joining in the conversation of her two companions, but it was clear that she was listening as they walked down the road. A half hour of stomping through the night seemed as far as was necessary. The amber eyes had followed for a little bit, but eventually disappeared. If the creatures wanted to bother them again they could either way, but the appeasement seemed like it had been enough. At least for the night, but the group had no plans to dwell any longer in the jungle than was necessary.

The camp was set up again quickly. A little more sloppily maybe, but everybody but Atale was even more tired than before. With the Golem and Guard Duty again the rest of the night passed uneventfully.

The morning was cool but to Atales dismay fairly moist, with a fine fog hanging over the road. Nkasa was up early boiling up some leaves and dried berries she had apparently brought with her in a small leather pouch, which produced an earthy concotion she assured Eskhis would raise their spirits for the march.

She offered a tin mug of the stuff to Pataya. "We push on well today we sleep under the stars tonight. From what I've heard the jungle up here is the thickest anyways - so easy going after that."

OOCPataya regenerates the 2 HP. With your next post give me your hiking rolls for the day please.

Last edited by Phettberg; Oct 30th, 2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pataya struggles on Pataya prepares for the days walk feeliing better than before. His shoulder is almost healed and the hand, though bruised, can now be moved. They set off and he keeps up throughout the day, though when they finally leave the jungle he heaves a sigh of relief."So much green, and so much life. I have never seen the like outside of Cupil's realm. The heat is making this a hard walk, but at least we will sleep in more comfort out of the trees." As they walk he tells them of his homeland - the ice, the way of life and the rigours that form his people's fibre. "You guard us well, Atale. I feel safe with you around me."

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Nov 3rd, 2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 03:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale
The Ufan nods as she stands by the fire, grateful for the heat that chases the moisture out of her clothing. She says gravely, "You are wise to not underestimate people because they are small and appear fragile, great bear. I think I would like to visit your tribe some day. We may have a lot to learn from each other." Once the others have settled down, she will patrol the perimeter of the camp.

OOC
Dice hiking:
3d6 1, 6, 5 Total = 12
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 05:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pataya feels he has found a friend Pataya smiles at Atale's comment." My people take each as they find them. And my mother is smaller than me, and more fragile too, but she is still my mother, Atale. You would like my people, and I believe they would like you. "

Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 05:49 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
OOCIt's the morning of the next day, so not sure why Pataya would go to sleep again. I will just move this along.

The Road to Bura - Deep in the Jungle, Early Morning, Month of PeaceWith their morning fast broken all that was left to do was to tidy up the camp before they could move. With that completed Nkasa offered to boost Eshkis up on the Hog, which the To'Ari reluctantly agreed to. The group marched on.

"Alright my Children - let us walk." The human was sombre this morning, tired. A few hours later the two on the laughing hog switched places for the first time, with Eshkis taking the reins. Even though those that could felt more weary than the days before they made good progress. Before long the thick canopy of green above them started to thin out bit by bit, until they could see the sky above them again. It was a cloudy day.

They were still in the jungle for half of the day, sun on their backs or not, with Eshkis continuing to assure everybody that the end of the wilderness was just around the next bend in the road. Before that actually happened though they came across a dead giant packrat in the road. It was hard to judge how long it had been there, considering in the jungle dead flesh is assaulted the minute it falls to the ground. Enough of the meat was still attached to the skeleton to identifiy this type of hardy steed for the smaller people of the world. After investigating the corpse the group carried on their hike.

Finally the hour came. Not too long before dusk they broke free of the oppressively dense green and found themselves overlooking a lush valley. The road went down into the ford before making a turn to the right, behind which they found rice paddies terracing one side of the hill. Unperturbed by the war days away - or possibly ignorant of it - farmers were toiling in the flooded fields, two Oxen nearby.

OOCI rushed past the dead rat - but feel free to investigate it retroactively in some manner. I also only stopped here in case anybody wanted to interact with the farmers, otherwise we can push on.
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 06:10 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pataya loves the peacefulnessPataya looks down at the farmers toiling innocently." Should we warn them of what may follow us or leave them be?Are they in more danger from fleeing or the foe behind us? "

Have adjusted my previous post. I obviously wrote one assuming we would be going the full day without any GM events.

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Nov 3rd, 2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 10:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
AtaleAtale pipes up, "It may be a good idea indeed for you to muster the countryside, Pataya. However if Eshkis believes the road from here to Bura to be safe, then I volunteer to run the rest of the way alone, to alert the town, while you help the countryside to prepare."

Last edited by Yoshimi; Nov 3rd, 2018 at 10:16 PM.
Closed Thread