Game Thread Chapter 2: Peril at Managh Island - Page 8 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2018, 09:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Atale
The golem girl cocks a frosted eyebrow at Pataya's words. But for now she just says gravely, "I will keep that in mind."

She will wait in her quarters about an hour to see if anyone sends for her. After that she will go out for a little exploring.

Old Nov 25th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Bura Inner City, late morning, Month of Peace"There may not be time to satisfy my curiostiy," said Arbiter Hirbad to the departing Atale. The Rest of the Cities Council had already turned away and started to mumble amongst itself.

It seemed Eshebis would not be joining the others wherever they were to be led. "I have affairs to take care of. Fare thee well," the To'Ari said soberly in passing, mostly to Nkasa, before she left the great hall of the Temple without looking back at the group. The human snorted something in her native tongue in response and slapped Atale on the doughy back to urge her on. "Come, let us see to our friend first, before they shove us away into some dingy tavern."

Pataya was led into a chamber behind the great stone altar to have hid bandages replaced, with the others trailing slightly behind. Diligent Uxian Priests also applied a soothing paste that smelt of roots and herbs. It felt cool on the sprained limb, mitigating some of the discomfort immediately.

One of the Clerics was chosen to bring the group to their arranged lodgings. The small Ux waddled ahead and out onto the square in the middle of the inner city, which held a thin but very tall tower in its centre.

"Funeral Rites," babbled the Priests in explanation as he waved a hand towards the spire, as if that was enough, and crossed the open space briskly in the direction of the north gate where the group had originally entered the town. There were more people out on the street than the half hour before, much to the delight of the various traders about. The air of authority the Priest supplied kept anybody too nosy away from Pataya for the time being, but there was still some pointing and staring going on.

"The way the General was talking they don't want to pay any of us a Guards-Wage, right?" Nkasa kept her voice down slightly, even though the Priest ahead of them seemed uninterested anyway.

"It's the way things are in a place like this. A pain to find somebody to pay for your metal. Keshtar will know what to do." The human seemed also resolved to stay, maybe unsurprisingly since she had already divulged that she was a mercenary by trade. The Group continued on.

They passed an L-Shaped Trading house before entering a two story building adjacent to the towers of the gate. Above its double doors hung a large brass shield upon which somebody had splattered red colour in abundance. "Bloody Shield," muttered their guide with a nod to the Sign of the Free House.

Behind the counter was a To'Ari with scales of a muddied grey. He seemed to almost disappear against the cracked wall behind him. While the Priest exchanged some words with the Barman the patrons of the establishment turned around to look at who had entered. It was a diverse array of people that patronised the gloomy taproom with its low ceiling and wobbly furniture of dark tropical wood, though as was common here almost half of them were Ux or Gettan. The crowd seemed to be more used to strange sights though. While some gazed at Pataya for a long time, eventually they all turned back to whatever they had to attend to at their tables - drink or food.

"Room at the back, one for all." The Priest had returned to them, but had not become more communicative in the meantime. He waved the group along to the back door of the bar. It exited out onto an inner courtyard, complete with stables full of Hogs and Rodents. Having crossed it they entered the half of the Bloody Shield that contained rooms for rent. They had received a windowless chamber that was probably ample for one person, but would be crowded for the three of them. It held two small beds, neither of which would fit Pataya, and a chest without a lock on it.

The Priest sucked on his teeth and paced the small room briefly, having a look of his own at what little furniture was within. "Paid for five days. Two meals a day a person in the inn."

Finally he seemed satisfied and bowed curtly to each of them in turn before handing over a brass key and waddling away, leaving them alone in their chamber.

"Right, need to get us a lock," said Nkasa, a slight frown on her face. "I'll be holding on to my things for now. I need some food first."

OOCAlright, quite a long post again - but I needed to set up the lodgings and all that.

You may need to settle on similar things to do (in terms of timeframe) - one player wanting to skip the whole day and another wanting to explore kind of means one player is sitting out for an indefinite time.
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Pataya joins Atale to explore BuraPataya stays outside and lays himself down. He eats and drinks happily then settles down to sleep. When Atale runs past to go into the town he joins her, making sure that they explore the defences. He looks for areas of weakness and likely avenues of attack while he builds his friendship with Atale.

Old Dec 4th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Atale
As Pataya slips into sleep, the flour golem slips into action. She stalks unseen through the side streets of Bura, and reduces the town's population of feral street dogs by two. She collects the pelts, feeling at ease for the first time in days. At last she pads back to the inn and rejoins a waking Pataya. She tags along as they examine the town's defenses and meeting its denizens.
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Bura, the next few days, Month of PeaceNo one could say that the leaders of this town were not working fast. While Atale was hunting in the backstreets of the inner city she already heard the town crier declare various things. By and by she got the whole message as the day went on, as the heralds repeated the instructions over and over again.

The warehouses north of the city were ordered to be emptied, possibly having to be demolished in case of an impending siege. Houses beyond the bridge were to be evacuated in the same way, as were most buildings clinging too closely to the southern wall.

Food, Weapons and many other supplies would be bought by the town at the last stable market price, with a premium being paid out after the war had ended. The sale of food and freshwater was non negotiable - the message being that racketeering with weapons would most likely be tolerated by the city council. It was what you got when traders were on it.

In the undercity citizens and traders alike could do what they wanted, unless it was hoarding food of course. Yet it was clear - in the case of an attack from the sea the undercity would be sacrificed immediately, not being defensible in the least, and everybody was staying there at their own risk. Whoever took it would have a hard time climbing the hundred feet of vertical cliff in any case.

When Atale had already collected and skinned her prey the Traders were already reacting to the news. Runners were going to and fro offering passage to Dimi in exchange for labour - those warehouses would not empty themselves. That evening the first Ships were seen floating southwards, overloaded with refugees and goods in such a way that one could not be sure they could make the relatively short journey to the Free City.

The next day brought the same. One could already hear talk about dismantling the buildings that had been evacuated, but the city leaders were apparently not as of yet sure the small trading port would be hit.

The morning of the next day the vanguard of the refugees from Meshkou arrived in town. In a role reversal it was now the weakest of the train of fleeing citizens, brought back by the wagons sent by Bura.

The main body of Meshkouians arrived the following morning day, accompanied by Nkasas mercenary friends, Keshtar the Ux and Tse-Hin the Getta. They were also accomodated in the bloody shield for the time being, even though the Proprietor was already moaning about the dirty soldiers he had to put up with.

During the same day a runner made it to town sent from the lighthouse at the western tip of Managh island. Apparently two or three ships had been passed scouting out the area. In the evening a boat came from the lighthouse in the far east, with much the same news. Yet no word about what the main body of ships was doing.

The day after Keshtar began moaning about the wait, setting out to talk to the people of the town. Due to what he called his "less than favourable standing with the free cities", he seemed to be eager to join a free outfit of solders as well - not being able to stand by the city guard nor being willing to just try his luck more or less alone. The city was already starting the process of tearing down buildings outside the walls to reinforce the inside of the walls of town.

Keshtar returned later tonight dragging a slightly inebriated looking Raz'ar of a purplish complexion along. First he had news some news to share: "Habmood bugger me, Dimi is not wasting time. If you looked out over the ocean right now you could see them unloading four galleys with at least fourty soldiers on each of them. I've not been counting the guards, but with us free agents the town is bursting with muscle now. They also brought artillery to set up on the market square, or at least that's what a shipsmate told me down at the dock."

"This is Chipa. He's a trader by birthright, but he's deemed it worthwhile to arm the non-citizens and other undesireables that remain in Bura and bring them under a single banner. We'll have food and shelter with him and a few coins a day after the war is won. Ain't that right, Chips? "

Before the Turtle could answer Keshtar hooked an arm around its blue shell and talked over him. "Patriotism at its best, and all out of his own pockets. I believe he has immovables in this town he would rather not see burn. In either case donating weapons and his good name seemed like a better deal. The other good merchants of this town would rather have us serve as cannonfodder than unite us, no gratitude. All their gold is going to the Vinionean defenders as if they were any better at wielding a sword."

The Ux shrugged then as if it could not be helped. "Of course, they'll still hand us shite jobs even with sponsoring."

Keshtar chuckled lightly then and slapped Tsehin on the back. Nkasa joined in with some laughter of her own. When they were done Keshtar smiled broadly and queried the others: "I take it you're in, right? Could've been gone by now otherwise."

OOCSo four days have passed - I believe that would mean Pataya is healed up. I thought that was as good a time as any to give you something to respond.

You don't have to join in with Chipa and his little band, but he is offering some small pay. Of course you could defend the town and get food and lodging without joining them, but you will not be properly integrated into either the guards nor the dimi army - because Vinione Free cities have a thing about the difference between citizen and non-citizen.

Last edited by Phettberg; Dec 11th, 2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale

Atale bows in greeting."Might as well take a stand here as anywhere. Who knows where these bullies will stop if they are not thwarted? But I will expect time and a half pay, as I do not eat or fatigue, and will therefore work around the clock."

Old Dec 8th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Pataya swear to defend BuraPataya has spent the time in Bura looking around and finding ambush sites and positions where one warrior can hold off the foe as long as possible. He has healed up nicely and is feeling ready for whatever is coming. When he is introduced to Chipa he stands and says "I will join your band and fight alongside you. But I am no soldier to be told how to fight. I am a Puki and will fight in my way, but under your direction." He licks his left paw and holds it out, palm upwards. "Slap my hand to seal our agreement and you have yourself a Yatk of the Puki clan as an ally. "

Old Dec 11th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Bura, the same, Month of PeaceChipa, the Raz'Ar trader swayed slightly where he stood and frowned at Pataya and Atale as they relayed their conditions. Only Keshtars Arm around him kept him somewhat steady on his feet, and it was the Ux that answered as well: "More pay and no orders - you two been mercenaries before? Nevermind answering that."

Keshtar pushed Chipa towards Pataya a step. "Go on then, slap the hand and we'll go sober you up man."

The Raz'Ar looked at the hand offered to him for a second, evidently unsure what to make of it. He had to examine his own hand a few moments before he put two and two together, slapping the outstreched hand meekly.

One slap followed another as Kesthar brought his own two hands together in jubilation. "That's business my friends! Kas, Tsehin, People - grab your gear and we'll relocate. I belive they want you out of here anyway. Chipa owns a few buildings as I said, including one now empty warehouse. Follow me."

The Group departed and was lead back across the main square where already a troop of Dimi Soldiers in shining armour of chainmail or interlaced scales had set up a makeshift camp city, at the edge of which two Trebuchets were already constructed. There were few onlookers to gawk at the proceedings, as a vast majority of civilians had evacuated. The last batch had left the morning scouting ships were sighted first.

Behind the Great Temple of the City, practically in its shadow all day, there was a string of two story buildings that looked like they had seen better days. One of them had a sign identifying it as a shop of sorts. On said sign there was an Apple and a Plum painted in merry brushstrokes, with some script in Broken Bridge Common and another in what was identified to Pataya as Vinja Uxian underneath. Both read "Chipas Ciders and Spirits".

Adjacent to the shop there was a warehouse that was now emptied of its stock, though one could still faintly smell the alcohols that had been stored there at some point. It was to be the headquarters of the free mercenaries Keshtar had made the Raz'Ar trader hire.

There were already a dozen and a half people there, all with their weapons strewn about next to the leathers they would be sleeping on. Somebody had even set up a small fire in a rough iron bowl, heating up a cauldron of some strange brew above.

Keshtar clicked his tongue and waved a hand at the warehouse interior. "Make yourself at home I guess. You're free to do whatever until there is a need, but don't wander too far. I will get our benefactor into bed for the time being."

With that the Ux and the Turtle Trader wandered off to leave Pataya and Atale to their own devices.

Calm before the StormThe Spirit Warehouse was right next to a stairway leading up onto the City Wall. The Soldiers of Dimi did not like to see franctireurs up on the defenses, but a lot of the regular watchpeople happily exchanged some banter with anybody that had stayed in the city. Some were still wary of Atale and Pataya, even frightened of their strange appearance and ways, but few were outright hostile. That is unless they were under the Command of the Guardswoman Mung, who still displayed a strong aversion against the two whenever she was commanding this side of the tower.

Due to the proximity to the defenses news filtered down to the Warehouse quickly. When there were any news, that was. The scouting ships were still somewhere out there, and the City was coiled up in expectation of seeing them at the horizon any moment now. The first sails that appeared were those of a group of Dimi Galleys though, rowing northwards in a tight formation of twelve.

They brought word that one of the groups of scouts the humans had sent had turned south to approach the Free City of Dimi. As soon as ships were dispatched to intercept them they turned away, but the slowest of their group could be sunk. No living human could be fetched out of the water to take prisoner apparently.

Luckily the Dimi ships had also brought fifty more soldiers, and three scorpions to be constructed atop the big towers around the citadel. Everybody was sure they would soon need as many weapons as possible.

The following day the human ships finally appeared on the far horizon. They slid quietly across the waters out of reach of even the strongest bow, surely keeping an eye on the Bura and its cliffs. Those with keen eyes could count five individual ships, suggesting that the two scouting troops had met up. Eventually the Sails disappeared as the ships moved southwestwards.

The western Lighthouse was taken shortly after. Or rather, it had probably been taken at approximately the same time as the scouts were sighted, considering a messager had to ride as hard as he could for near two day to get the message to Bura. A large group of the Humans ships was sailing around the western side of the island now. Judging from the witnesses accounts it was not their full armada, but a large part anyway.

That day Kesthar rushed into the warehouse with Chipa in tow. The Raz'Ar trader had recovered from his drinking bout, which had apparently been a reaction to having all the stock he hadn't hidden away forcibly taken from him for a ludicrous amount of coin in exchange. His voice was raspy but high pitched, like a loosely stringed fiddle.

Though Keshtar had a strange grin of expectation on his face, this time it was Chipa that spoke first: "Eh, the city would make use of us at last. Dimi wants to strike the Fleet, but they want the right time to do it. It seems the humans have not landed any men yet, so we will send somebody south to keep an eye on them from the land to find out when they do. They would also have us help build a pallisade around the entry to the stairs cut into the mountain. The city wants to lay a trap there, in case they want to take the undercity and think they just can just walk up to us. Of course - the guards also want us to spring the trap."

Since the day Pataya and Atale had arrived in the Warehouse the little band of soldiers had increased to about fourty men and women. Most of them looked on sullenly, not eager to volunteer for either of the two proposed missions. When nobody said even a word Keshtar stepped forward and banged on a crate with his sabre. "Right - we only need a few hands to scout the Fleet. I will need volunteers. Just to be clear - those that don't go south will be on duty to build the trap on the stairs and spring it after a little scuffle down on the docks. It's the one thing or the other, yes?"

OOCYou can go for either mission, whichever you prefer. You probably won't be able to do one and then the other timewise, in case you were hoping to do so.

I've updated the map as well so you know where more things are in the town (The below is also in the info thread for future reference):

Last edited by Phettberg; Dec 11th, 2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 07:25 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale
Relieved for something to do at last, Atale steps forward with a casual salute.

"Scouting is my specialty. Sir."

Old Dec 13th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pataya stands by Atale Pataya moves to stand by Atale. "I too prefer to scout than build. We promised to hunt together before, Atale my friend, and now we shall do so."

Old Dec 17th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Looking for Trouble - Bura and the South of Bura, Month of Peace"Splendid," Keshtar cheered and put his sabre back into its sheath. "I thought as much. You two don't strike me as city folk much."

The Ux clicked his tongue and continued: "Can't have you going alone though, as good as you might be at scouting. Nkasa you already worked with, and she is wasted standing in formation anyway."

The Human woman stepped forward from where she had been sitting, ebony skin glistening in the light falling into the warehouse through the partially open gate. She leaned forward for a small bow while smiling a toothy grin that revealed her large white teeth.

Keshtar waved his other companion to him. "Tsehin you have seen before, but I was stuck with him on the way back..."

He giggled gleefully as he slapped the disfigured Getta on the side of the back, careful to avoid the long spikes that the Species had growing out of their backs. Tsehins scarred face distored into something that may have been a grin, but it looked dreadful.

"Four people will be more than plenty," Keshtar decreed before he turned away towards the exit. "Follow me, we will take the lift down to the docks before they stop hoisting the platform up and down."

As the bird flies the Hoisted Elevator was not far from the buildings that Chipa owned, but the group had to exit the town at the south gate and walk around the outside of the wall until they went there. A few weeks before there would have been a steady stream of workers transporting goods for the merchants of the village as they were being pulled up from the docks below, but now all they passed were Soldiers.

They rode down on a mostly empty platform to get to the waterfront. Where the river met the ocean Keshtar presented them with two oval boats made out of hide covering a bamboo frame. "You'll use this to go south. Doesn't look like much but with some heavy paddling you'll make good time. We Ux call this a Quffa, the Poyne Gettans call it thung-chai. I would gladly have given you a larger boat, but this you can pull onto land in no time and hide. When you're not in it they don't weigh much. See?"

To illustrate his point the Ux lifted up the sacks of rations out of one of the hide-boats. It bounced upwards to sit lightly atop the water.

"You'll figure it out. What is more important is this." Out of a pocket he produced two small brass flasks and held them up to the light. "The City does not want you to do anything when you just see the enemy fleet. They want you to wait nice and long until they anchor somewhere to unload all their soldiers. That is when they want to strike at them. So how do you communicate with a city and fleet that may be twenty miles away? This stuff."

He shook the flasks, but did not open them. "You make a fire and then toss some damp wood or leaves on to of it before this concoction goes in. If the Mages from Dimi did their job right the smoke should turn a bright orange, glowing even in the night."

Keshtar casually dropped one flask into each of the boats. "That's it. Light the fire and get out of there, get back to the town before it's locked up."

The Ux smiled and hooked his grey thumbs into his belt, happy he was done with the brief. "At your own pace then. Mission starts now. If I were you I'd get around the lighthouse south of here quickly, or there's little point to all this."

OOCI understand Atale might not be happy to be in a Hide boat - which is fine. She could just run on land and meet up with the boats at certain places. As it is Pataya will be a lot to bear even if he is alone in one of the boats, but he would just about fit.

In any case, for the boats it would be a good few hours to get to and around the lighthouse if they go in a straight line and not around the coast. Everybody that pilots a boat will need to roll for boating (Or dx/iq-5, whichever is higher). Perception I will roll for in secret, taking into account what you tell me you are looking at/for. But your route and methods are up to you. You could just sail south and then westwards until you hit the enemy fleet, then trail them somehow. Or you could set up a sort of listening post as soon as you rounded the lighthouse and got far enough away from it. Or something completely different that I have not yet thought of. A look at the map might help, which is still available in the geography thread.

Last edited by Phettberg; Dec 17th, 2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pataya tries a Buran boat for size. Pataya moves to enter one of the boats and overturns it as he enters. As he rises from the water he grins at the others. "I shall either have to swim or find a different type of boat. I can probably swim as fast as you can paddle if my armour is in one of the boats. I think that might be the best plan." He thinkks a bit about the maps he has been shown. "I think we should head for the lighthouse and see what they are up to from there. Lighthouses are always built on good viewpoints."

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Dec 18th, 2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 10:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale
Atale shudders.

"Thank you but my skills are best used on land. I will skirt the shore on foot and meet up with you as needed."
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 03:19 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Looking for Trouble - Bura and the South of Bura, Month of Peace"Suit yourself then," grumbled Tse-Hin as he stowed his Bow and harness in the other boat.

Nkasa had tied her hair into a loose bun to keep her thick and curly dark locks out of her face. She now turned towards Atale. "Take one of the vials then. You heard what our mission was."

The human clicked her tongue and nodded at what Pataya had suggested. "Sure, we meet at the Lighthouse south of here. If they have yet to see any ships then we can move towards the next of the towers. It's quite a hike to get there, but somehow I feel like you won't have a problem."

Dropping into the leather bound frame of the boat Nkasa gripped a paddle and pushed away from the port. An hour later they were out on the open sea, the town distantly visible, while Atale was jogging down the road to the west of them.

A little under four hours later those on the ocean coul already see the top of the watchtower off in the distance, while Atale was running through light forest with the foliage blocking her view. Occasional weathered milestones told the Golem that she was on the right track as well.

It was a crude stone tower of Uxian make that the group eventually reached, with Pataya noticeably worse for wear after having swum for almost eight hours. As was to be expected it stood on a cliff atop the ocean, not that the hundred foot tall structure needed the vantage point. No Soldiers guarded the entry at the base, most likely because none could be spared, and inside there was only an old Ilder and his family to take care of the fire at the top of the tower at night. The elder was not as perturbed by the sight of Pataya than one would have expected. He had the stoic air of those that spend all their time looking out to sea.

"No, no strange ships as of yet," Was the first piece of news that he gave. "I saw some of the scouts days ago, but not recently. Just a lot of Galleys from Dimi sailing north. Got close enough so I could see em, so I reckon they were sure I'd still be here. For what purpose they got that close I wondered, but I guess it was so I could tell you. Anyway, I wouldn't bet the tower west is still manned. Manned by us that is."

OOCAs I said, the boat would carry Pataya if he was on it alone. But swimming is also possible, but it costs fatigue just as hiking for a long time. It's not relevant unless you go and do adventury things in the middle of a days hike/swim.
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 08:02 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale
"Thank you for the report. How far is the Western tower?"

Closed Thread