Game Thread Chapter 2: Peril at Managh Island - Page 9 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 04:59 PM
Fwalin McFundin's Avatar
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 28th, 2019
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Posts: 2,681
Pataya tries a Buran boat for size. Pataya climbs to the top of the tower and looks out to see. He then finds a good spot to rest in and settles down. "I think we should head stay here for tonight then continue on towards the next lighthouse in the morning. We must stay fresh so we are able to react when we meet our foes. Guard us, Atale, while we sleep"

The following day he tries again to enter a Buran boat and this time is successful. "Onwards, my comrades. We shall find the foe soon, I am sure." He lies in the boat with his feet over the side and paddles with powerful strokes of his legs, while his arms and head are raised looking for any ships.
 

__________________
Due to some major issues in RL, I am taking a break from RPGX until December.
Taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Dec 22nd, 2018 at 05:05 PM.
  #122  
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Looking for Trouble - The South of Bura, Month of Peace"Why - fourty miles or thereabouts to the next tower I would wager," answered the aged Ilder in response to Atales question.

He nodded at the rest that was being said and clicked his tongue. "Sure, make yourself at home. I've not much food to spare, but seems you brought your own in any case."

His Wife and kids fetched straw to prepare a makeshift bed for all present. Through the night the family alternated keeping the fire up on the tower well fed and bright.

In the morning the group returned to where they had stored their hide-covered boats, overturned on the beach beneath the hill somewhere. Tsehin and Mkasa seemed to accept the notion of paddling westwards for now, though Tsehin grumbly added: "Gotta be on land to light a fire though. And it's a bright day - meaning once we see them they see us too. By the time we land and scrape together firewood they'd be upon us."

Nkasa scratched the back of her head at that and sighed. "But the ships are not here yet. From atop the tower we saw twenty miles far at least, yes? We can row for a few hours and then decide what to do after that."

Eventually they set out, because further west the needed to go in any case. In the next few hours they rounded a circular bay formed by two peninsulas sticking out into the ocean, its mouth almost covered by a row of smaller islands. Beyond this bay it was miles of sandy beaches and rolling hills covered in thin forest. Up ahead one could see that the area became swampier. Mangrove forests and moist ground would replace the beaches soon.


OOCAlright, we are moving west. You are still a good 15 hours of rowing away from the next tower and you know the type of terrain you are in right now, and the hours to follow. No ships on the horizon as of yet. Remember that your mission is not to get as far west as possible though, just to spot the fleet, signal and leave, hopefully unnoticed.
  #123  
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Fwalin McFundin's Avatar
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 28th, 2019
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Posts: 2,681
Pataya tries a Buran boat for size. Pataya calls across to the others in the boat. "Let us set up camp on this headland. We can see all the way along the coast and they are not likely to land in mangroves. We can prepare the fire as well."
 

__________________
Due to some major issues in RL, I am taking a break from RPGX until December.
Taken the Oath of Sangus
  #124  
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 01:43 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale
Atale nods, glad for any excuse to avoid the wetlands. She scouts the area around the proposed campsite for danger.

  #125  
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 04:38 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Looking for Trouble - Afternoon, The South of Bura, Month of Peace"That headland over there, that'll give us a nice view!" Nkasa had to shout over the slapping waves of the ocean so that the other two paddleboats could hear her. What she was indicating was the last languet sticking out of the ocean that had solid beach running to the water instead of the murky swamp where mangrove trees started to grow.

As the three in the hideboats paddled over to the headland Atale was already running through the shrubbery of the small tropical forest that grew beyond the gravelly beach. Here on the coast it was nowhere near as oppressively dense as it had been up north, and she only stumbled upon small critters that she disturbed with her prowling.

Eventually the boats landed on the beach below the Golem. Immediately Tsehim jumped out onto the gravel and pulled his raft onto the beach.

"Good enough to make us a hidey hole in eh," the Getta smirked, which contorted his scarred face and mutilated snout into something more grotesque - not that Pataya knew the standards of beauty for this species.

Nkasa merely grunted and climbed the incline up to where beach gave way to fertile earth. There she turned around to look westwards and point. "Can see the smoke rising from the next lighthouse from here. Good a place as any." And indeed Atale could see it too, coming out of the forest now.

The sun had passed its highest point already, but it was still a while before dusk. At night they would not have to fear being detected themselves much, unless they were carefree enough to light an uncovered fire. At this time of the day seeing meant possibly being seen as well.


OOCNot a big update, but I just wanted to give some detail on the area and the landing. Map below.

 
  #126  
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 07:50 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale
"I will find a watchpost." She searches for a spot where she can camouflage herself but that has a good vantage point.
  #127  
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 05:19 PM
Fwalin McFundin's Avatar
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 28th, 2019
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Posts: 2,681
Pataya prepares. Pataya finds a flat area some way from the water and begins to bring together fuel for the signal fire. Using his axe, he clears the scrub around the fire site. He gathers some dry grass and puts it into a basket made in the branches of a tree to get fully dry. He breaks up some dry wood as kindling and then builds some smaller boughs around it. When it is ready he covers it with one of the boats. A supply of wood to go on the fire once it is alight is set to one side. When he is finished he rejoins the others. " The fire is ready. The orange colour should be put near it so we are ready. Let us set up camp away from the coast so we are not seen too easily. Atale will let us know when she has found a good viewpoint. I will start the fire whatever the weather - I have a way with fire!"
 

__________________
Due to some major issues in RL, I am taking a break from RPGX until December.
Taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Jan 5th, 2019 at 05:19 PM.
  #128  
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 04:52 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Looking for Trouble - That same Night, The South of Bura, Month of PeaceAfter scouting the immediate area for a few minutes Atale eventually found a dry clearing that was neatly tucked inbetween two ridges of earth and trees, behind which they could even errect a minor campsite to spend as long as it took. Peeking over the ridge and through between the young tropical trees also made detection near unlikely, even if one had their head stuck out at all times.

Pataya found another spot nearby to set up the fire. Few dry wood was to be found, but plenty to start a modest fire, if not to keep it going for a very long time. This was not required though. If the Yatak so desired his magical abilities gave him the tools to dry some green wood fast if he so desired as well, so nobody had to worry about their signal. One of the flasks with the mysterious potion could be buried nearby in a patch of sand.

"Eh, wake me when somethings happening," grunted Tsehin as he settled down with his back against the ridge. It promped Nkasa to give him a small slap on the chest, which drew a gurgling chuckle from the scarred Getta.

"I will wake you when the sun has moved three fingers you lousy rodent," said the ebony woman sternly. After a second a smile broke out on her face, the same thing happening to Tsehin almost at the same time. It reminded Pataya and Atale that supposedly these two had been travelling together for a while.

Not very long after this Tsehin was already snoring noisly, sending small critters scuttling away in the undergrowth.

"Leave him be," said Nkasa as she turned around to look out at the sea. "We have to be invisible, not silent."

Eventually she had this to say to Atale. "I remember that you do not sleep, but the more eyes we use the better."

She cleared her throat somewhat self-consciously and leaned over briefly to look at Atale. "You do have eyes, right? Nevermind, I know you can see. Who cares..."

Nkasa chuckled lighty, and the observation of the bay continued.

Hours later, in the middle of the night they saw something. The red moon was out almost in full, the blood moon, next the tiny crescent that was left of the waning moon that they all knew. It was good as well, because even though this strange apparition that had plagued the world with its evil omen for months now threw a ghastly reddish light, that light was illuminating the waves of the ocean well enough.

A black shape had appeared on the horizont just where the next peninsula they could see was sticking out into the water. A large shape with a few dots of orange hanging somewhere in its gloom, shifting steadily as outlined shape moved westwards slowly. No one would expect anything but a ship, but from where they were crouching the watchers could not say if this black outline was one large ship, two, three or even ten sailing in formation.


OOCAlright, I rolled all your camouflage, perception and so on and so forth. You spotted this ship (or these ships) at the furthest possible distance away, which has one downside: Hard to say if this is just a single scouting ship, while the fleet may be somewhere far away. While it is very unlikely it could also be a ship not of the enemy.

So two options (that I can think of): You can either light the fires right now, hoping it's the right time for it, or you can wait a little longer to get confirmation, but have the ships much closer to you when you do.
  #129  
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Fwalin McFundin's Avatar
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 28th, 2019
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Posts: 2,681
Pataya prepares. Pataya rushes up to the lookout spot and looks across the sea at the ship(s). He tries to discern how many ships there are and his keen eyes make out some more detail. What should we do? We should wait until we are sure and then light the fire. We can escape overland if we are cut off from the sea. he puzzles as he tries to work out what he is looking at. "I think we should wait until daybreak as we will get a better idea of how many there are. We can make out getaway on land or sea depending on the situation then."
 

__________________
Due to some major issues in RL, I am taking a break from RPGX until December.
Taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Jan 9th, 2019 at 04:27 PM.
  #130  
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 04:20 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale
"I will watch through the night. Perhaps in an hour or two I will be able to discern more and we can act quicker."
  #131  
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 05:49 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Looking for Trouble - That same Night, The South of Bura, Month of Peace"Oh I think we'll know soon enough, nobody will sleep throught that." Tsehin had roused Nkasa and the two had crawled over to leer at the outlined shapes from the shared hiding spot. From their elevated spot those ships yonder could only be a little under four miles away. They seemed to be moving parallel to the beach, eastwards in the direction of the lighthouse. That watchtower south of Bura may or may not have seen them already. There were few lights on the decks of these ships.

The gloomy shapes floated closer to the shore on their way eastwards as time went on, until they were maybe two miles away. The outlines broke apart eventually to reveal many masts, crisscrossing each other. Hard to count them this way, only badly illuminated by the blood moon, but it was certain that there were around seventy or thirty depending on the amount of masts the individual ships had. Pataya had been close to the human vessels, and therefore knew that most of theirs were large enough to have three, and barely any had only one.

Either way, the apparent bulk and sturdy construction of the ships as well as the fierce curve upwards on either end did not suggest Uxian Wargalleys to Atale, nor the slender trading ships employed by said people. The golem may have seen Gettan trading Junks before back in Vinja, and indeed they were even more common in Vinione, yet never in such a densely packed fleet. There may have been slight shadows of doubt left, but it seemed like what the four scouts were seeing was part of the human attack fleet quietly sailing eastwards and most likely on to Bura.


OOCIt does not take very long until you can make out the details mentioned above, around an hour. As I said, the consequence is that the ships are closer to the fire you eventually will ignite, should they send somebody out to investigate.

But it seems prudent to leg it northwards as soon as you light your signal anyway. You'd be hard pressed to outpaddle a sailing ship for long if you left by sea.
  #132  
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 04:57 PM
Fwalin McFundin's Avatar
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 28th, 2019
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Posts: 2,681
Pataya light the fire. Pataya rushes down to the camp and gathers all his kit then moves to where the fire is ready. He takes the dry kindling and places it in the prepared parts of the fire then opens the potion. He calls to the others "Come on! We must start to move away from here. Move directly north away from the coast and wait for me for half an hour. Then we can decide how we can get back to Bura." When the others have left the area he goes back to the fire and gets ready to light it up. He concentrates for 2 seconds then releases the gathered mana to ignite the fire. The wood catches with a satisfying 'Woomph' and he then piles on the cut wood until there is a good blaze. He throws the potion into the blaze and waits to see if the smoke changes before setting off after the others as fast as he can go.
 

__________________
Due to some major issues in RL, I am taking a break from RPGX until December.
Taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Jan 14th, 2019 at 02:52 AM.
  #133  
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 02:25 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale
"Good luck!"The golem hurries north in accordance with Pataya's plan.

  #134  
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Looking for Trouble - That same Night, The South of Bura, Month of Peace"Aye, if you wish." Nkasa and Tsehin joined Atale in a jog away from the water, guided by the stars to stick to a northern course.

Meanwhile Pataya was preparing the fire, finally setting it ablaze and piling on the fuel until he it had grown to a very respectable size. The glow in his face made it hard to keep an eye on the ships out there in the night, but he could just about see their outline still.

As he poured the concotion into the fire it was as if a ball of flame rolled upwards to catch up with the rising smoke, colouring it a glowing orange and lighting up the night as it formed a tall pillar of gas. It became incredibly bright as the glowing mist continued to rise from the firepit, but the heat only increased barely. Clearly this would be seen from the human ships as well, so it was the time for Pataya to leave.

Meanwhile the others had gone over a hill and through some dense bits of tropical forest until they hit a thin dirtroad going from west to east - most likely coming from the lighthouse they had visited not too long ago, the fire of which could be seen brightly to the east. It seemed as good a place as any to wait, so they remained there and tracked the time with the moon and the stars as best they could.

About twenty minutes after Pataya had sent his companions away he had covered most of the distance to the small road he himself could not yet see, even from the top of the slope that he had climbed. As he hurried on a howling cut through the noises of the night, coming from the direction of the ocean. Before it stopped entirely a few other voices sounding much like the first one joined in from the same direction, sending the small wildlife around Pataya into a frenzy.

Atale and the two others could also hear the cries in the night, though the direction it was coming from was harder to ascertain from where they were currently standing. Most of the critters around felt it more clearly, and small animals started scuttling away in the undergrowth nearby.


OOCPataya will reconnect with the others in a few minutes, it was more for effect that you heard the howls while not yet together.

A Map in case you need it, with Pataya being further south:
 
  #135  
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 05:36 PM
Fwalin McFundin's Avatar
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 28th, 2019
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Posts: 2,681
Pataya runs. Pataya hears the cries and wonders if the humans have landed behind him. He continues to run North as fast as he can in the hope that he will join up with his comrades before the humans catch up. He crashes into a narrow road to find them waiting for him. "Come on! We are hunted. We must make our way to Bura as fast as we can join case the message does not get through." he looks at the others. "Which way should we go? To the lighthouse or deeper in land? I think we will.make better time on this road so let's start off along it and decide as we go" With that he is off along the road towards the west and the road that will lead to Bura. He accelerated to his full speed wanting to put as much distance between him and the howling animals as possible.
 

__________________
Due to some major issues in RL, I am taking a break from RPGX until December.
Taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Jan 18th, 2019 at 06:18 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB