Game Thread Chapter 5: Shifting Tides - Page 11 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2020, 07:14 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
"I don't use magic, so I have little need for these crystals."
Jo'Seph tries to drag those humans who are sill alive out of the water.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 02:13 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Bearing WitnessThe turtle ship anchored as closely to shore as possible before the rescued warriors of Vinione were transported onto the beach first. There they were received by the main army, the wounded and dead carried away. Those humans that Tay To Wei had ordered to be pulled out of the waters were bound and put below deck in haste, something that seemed a little strange to the Prince's guests.

Then the party was ferried over to dry land, where the Prince was received by an officer that had been notified by the common soldiers of the nobles appearance. Tay to Wei and all of his guests were led to where the generals and dignitaries were standing in front of a hastily erected command tent which was overlooking where the remnants of the human army had been encircled.

The Prince and the Dimi generals had some quiet conversations that left the Getta looking agitated. After this Tay to wei engaged in a more heated discussion with the leaders of the army, but it left him even more frustrated.

"The common soldiers will be branded, imprisoned and then sold," the Prince informed the party when he returned to them. Some cried from the amassed humanity made it seem like this process had already begun. "Their officers and generals will be tried, interrogated and then most likely executed. Though I do not cry a tear for any of them."

He sighed and wiped his brow with a handkerchief his stern bodyguard provided. "I suppose there is little alternative. More than a thousand humans that are hated by all and do not even speak a word of the common tongue - where are they to be put?"

"Some argued for killing them all," the Prince continued with a wince. "I am glad the generals realised the sheer futility of such an act of violence. It would have stained us all without bringing a single soul back to life."

Finally he shrugged. "I have not informed them of the fifteen or so humans that we have pulled out of the water. I am taking them in my service like the ones I bartered for. Let them repay us with deeds, not blood."

He explained how he would facilitate communication with them: "There are communities on Vinione that have once come from this land of Caerphy, hundreds of years past. Some still speak the language. I have bought a scroll with common words translated into the common script, and commissioned a more comprehensive dictionary for the future. We shall see."

"I thought I would want to further partake in the planning of the aftermath of this atrocity," Tay to Wei said. "But I see now that there is little point in that. I would talk with you later tonight, if you will accompany me yet again onto my ship."

OOCAlright so I'm going over a lot of this in summary so we can keep things moving.

Why I did stop here is because there are two things that we need to get done before we move to the next chapter of the story:

1.) I remembered that I still have no decision on the question of weaponry for Jo'Seph: Did he get a broadsword and a spear, or a short staff (smallsword skill) and a spear? Both of these weapons default to the rapier skill. The smallsword is considered to be a fencing weapon, with all the pros and cons associated. If I don't get an answer I'll assume broadsword and spear.

2.) Atale and Jo do not have 225 character points spent on them, so we need to change that. I talked about this a while back, but nothing has been done since then.

As for Jo, if I do not hear back I'll just bump rapier, spear, first aid and stealth up to the 17 points that you are under, because those are the skills he has used most.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 07:53 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
((I thought I had already bumped those skills.))
"I will need a shortsword and a spear, if you don't have a rapier on hand."
Jo'Seph will take some time to train with the sword, trying it out in a fencing pose, and to test the balance of the spear...
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 07:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Atale curtseys at the Prince's request and giggles. "This evening then, Your Highness!"
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 02:20 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
The OfferSome of the mercenaries remained on the beach for a while, talking to common soldiers or sharing a cup of wine around a fire. Eventually they were all ferried back to the armoured ship of the Prince, the name of which they had never learned since it was written upon the bulkhead in Gettan symbols.

Tay to Wei received them in his cabin with a solemn look on his face. Though he did not let his hospitality slip and had prepared flagons of dry beer and ricewine as well as some pickled vegetables and meats. The room felt more cramped that it had the first evening they had talked here with the noble, even though there weren't any more people in it. Just the veteran mercenaries, an attendant or two, the Prince, and his personal bodyguard.

After some meaningless pleasantries Tay to Wei let the room fall silent before saying: "As you may have guessed I have not only gathered you veterans and heroes on my ship to give you a tour of this island. And what a bleak tour that would have been."

The Gettan shook his head lightly. "No, seeing as all of you are currently out of paying work I am about to offer you an opportunity for more. I might mention beforehand that it is for the daring and the forward thinking. I will come to matters of payment at the end."

This caused some low grunts from the more capitalist of the gathered, including Keshtar and Tsehin. Regardless, the Prince continued as nothing had happened: "For reasons that I will not go into I am in the process of taking a more active interest in the ruling of my duchy of Kangomac, which will take me away from the capital to establish a new centre of leadership somewhere else. I am also looking to increase my personal security using men and women that are not associated with Taytomachian nobility. This is partly where you come into it, but hear this first."

Tay to Wei leaned in a little and sighed before confessing further: "I will be taking somewhat of a risk by telling you the details of my plans, but it is one that I need to take. As far as you are able to decide with what I have said until now, will you give me your word that you will not share what I am about to tell you? It would have the potential to greatly inconvenience my plans at least partially if you were to go shouting it from the rooftops, so to speak. Now words can be broken, but at least I will know that you have tainted your personal honour in doing so."

Most everybody was ready to give him this concession, even if they were thinking about betraying his trust later. With most giving their word the Prince was happy to move on, even if some individuals refused: "Very well then, at least you know the stakes. As I said, to facilitate all this I will be moving out of Perchold castle. But I will not be moving into any of the fortresses of the main island of Kangomac either. No, i need something even more secure."

A servant unrolled a roll pergament on the table in front of the Prince. It was a very rough map of Taytomac and Vinione, showing little more than general outlines and relative positions of the land. Tay to Wei pointed to a small little fleck southeast his duchy as he explained: "There is the ruin of an infamous castle that is technically within my domain. I plan to rebuild the ruins and make my own capital there."

"The island holding it is currently abandoned by civilisation, and in fact never had a substantial settlement on it. This has mostly to do with superstition. It is the site where the founder of my kingdom, Taytomac, was betrayed and murdered by his mad cousin, later called King Wan or simply the "Betrayer" or "Kinslayer". The true line of succession was later restored by my namesake, Taytowei "the Restorer", first of his name, but he found Taytomacs castle thoroughly tainted by Wan, who was said to have a fondness of torture and ritual sacrifice in the name of the third - a fringe god in our religion that is the enemy of everything natural and decent. It was Taytowei that had the structure burned and mostly torn down before declaring the whole island off-limits forever."

He shrugged and waved a hand in a manner that suggested an attitude of 'what-can-you-do'. "It is a decree that I feel destined to overturn not only due to my name but because times have simply changed. Beside, nobody would go looking for me there and I can conduct my business in peace, at least for a while. I will turn this grim rock back into a diamond, so to speak, but there are many things that need doing before it can be accomplished."

The Prince lifted his hand off the map and rolled it up again, the pergament having apparently served its purpose. "The island is uncharted, wild, and the stone underneath the castle is said to hold many caves that need exploring. I anticipate that the wildlife will be a problem, but scouts have already reported that there are signs of habitation too. Primitives, most like, but they need to be placated or driven away."

Tay to Wei continued outlining what needed to be done: "And when this is done there is the actual building-work. I am glad to be already bringing thirty able bodied workers with me in the form of the human soldiers, and I will recruit even more workers from the slums of the cities of Ling-Te or Hoy. I suppose a village will need to be built as well to house all these people."

But it did not stop there: "Of course, when my Capital is built I will need people to run it all. So not only do I need soldiers, surveyors, hunters, craftsmen, overseers, traders and diplomats from right this moment to the completion of the construction, but afterwards I will need a mayor, a captain of the guard, a castellan, a master of the hunt and so on and so forth afterwards. It is a small island, but there will be land to give away as well."

The suggestion was clear: The Prince would not only staff a personal army with people not of Gettan noble stock, but would eventually also hand out positions of power to those not commonly the ruling class on Taytomac. None of this sounded like a firm promise, but since he had also offered up land it seemed like he was generally willing to trade bits of whatever his retainers wanted later in exchange for service now. There were limited high ranking positions and it seemed like there was certainly a limited amount of land, but it was clear that if somebody stepped forward and asked for something else as payment the Prince might facilitate it as far as he was able. He didn't necessarily sound it, but might be the Prince was desperate.

Finally Tay to Wei placed his hands on the table in front of him and smiled. "This is the long and the short of it. I need men and women of different talents that have no personal stake in the pity rivalries of Taytomachian nobility or other allegiance."

He dropped his gaze and sighed lightly, moving on to the catch: "I cannot offer large wages until the construction of the castle is done, and mayhaps even some time immediately afterwards, but you will be fed and housed and transported around the Broken Bridge as necessary. But what I can offer is opportunity. Opportunity of eventual great reward and of rewarding work. None of you have to decide anything right now. In fact, I'd suggest you sleep it over. My ship is still yours for the night. But tomorrow I will be sailing away from Vinione. Anybody willing may join me."

OOCSo a very large proposition here, but one that would serve as a springboard to a variety of different 'quests' not limited to but including exploration, diplomacy, warfare etc. You may already be guessing that this castle is also where the other Pcs to join up will be led to. You can refuse of course, but it would leave your character to adventure alone for a while until I can tie you in somewhere else.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 06:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
"Your Majesty....."
Jo'Seph bows deeply, and winds up on one knee....
"You offer honor I may not be worthy of, but I will strive to live up to your expectations!"
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 08:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Atale whispers audibly, "Master of the Hunt!" Suddenly she frowns, and strides right before Tay to Wei, her beady eyes somehow managing to bore into his face, despite their lack of pupils. "Why not Mistress of the Hunt, Your Grace?"
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 10:12 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
The CovenantThe Prince smiled thinly as the To'Ari bowed and immediately accepted the offer presented. The way his eyes wrinkled around the corners betrayed that he was holding back a stronger response for the sake of noble propriety.

"Rise," Tay to Wei ordered softly "I appreciate the enthusiasm. You truly are a loyal subject, and loyalty will be rewarded. We may make a knight out of you yet."

The Gettan turned to Atale next, his eyebrows rising with mild surprise. "Yes, I suppose it could be a mistress of the hunt. The position will be bestowed upon one that has especially distinguished themselves from among those interested. As I said there will be wilderness to explore and the like very soon, but for the time being you will be equals."

He looked around the room, taking in the others present that had yet to say anything. "This means that if anybody else covets the positions too you will simply have to do better. That's how you will be treated, based upon your merits only."

Tay to Wei probably said this to entice people further, but a for long seconds afterwards the room was silent. People shifted from one foot onto the other, all quiet apart from the three mercenaries that had joined up with Zaqrah late, Keshtar, Nkasa and Tsehin, who were consorting with each other in whispers.

Against all expectation it was Sheedi that broke the silence by clearing his throat. He sniffled and wiped his eyes before he started to meekly talk, so quiet as to almost be a whisper: "I want to become an officer. I want to be strong, a general. I want to go."

The room fell quiet again, but this time because of shock rather than indecision. 'Mad' Mali had audibly drawn in a deep breath before blurting forth: "You do? Amumuar eat my last coin..."

She'd trailed off, but a second later added hurriedly towards the Prince: "Fine. I'll keep you alive, just like that shrew over there."

Mali pointed towards the older Gettan bodyguard Tay to wei kept around, who sneered back at the Rak'Ari without much humour in the smile.

"But I'm not a statue," Mali continued. "I don't keep my mouth shut. If I was like that I'd have joined the army in Maghara."

The Prince nodded, seemingly not bothered by the slight outburst. Maybe he had realised that who she wanted to keep alive was most likely the shy and less than brave Uxian crossbowman.

"I know the island you are talking about," interjected Tse-hin, the Getta with the scarred and disfigured face. "Bon. It is said to be cursed by the evil that was done there. If only to see if this is true I will come."

"Yes," the Prince answered, suddenly a little hoarse with the thought of the place. "You have the right place. The rest are rumours of course."

"I would hear the terms of engagement first." Keshtar the Ux was apparently not yet won over. "Are we supposed to be your men for life? I might still have a good hundred years ahead of me, but you are young."

Tay to Wei leaned back and thought on this question for a moment. "As I said you are to become my personal retainers, the core of a private unit of guards, soldiers and solvers of troubles. But I will not ask you to bind yourself to me for life at this point. Right now I only require your word that you will help me to restore this castle. How long this will take I can't say. I do not even know what condition it is in for certain. Reports vary wildly. I anticipate at least a year of work in any case."

He shrugged: "But if you find the position not to your liking you can leave. I do not want disgruntled and angry honour-bound men and women around me, but people that look towards the future like I do. Think about it this way: Rather than being bound for life, if everything goes to plan you have the option to have work for the rest of your life should you desire it. Work with purpose and meaning."

"I'll hopefully hear what purpose and meaning you talk about exactly very soon," the squat Uxian mercenary answered. "But for now I agree."

Nkasa nodded as well, joining up by saying enigmatically: "I will not be separated from these two."

Tay to Wei looked somewhat puzzled at this, but nodded slowly all the same. Looking around the room he realised that he had done it. "This seems to be all - I seem to be rather good at selecting my candidates, or I'm a better speaker than I thought."

"We'll be heading for Ling-te on the morrow," the Prince divulged, Ling-Te being the most eastern city in his own duchy. "I need to see my vassals on Kangomac Island, least of all to requisition two or three ships and provisions to take to my new capital. Now Master Tsehin has already revealed that the island and castle are called Bon. It's location is not commonly marked on broken bridge maps, but I know how to navigate there."

"Our first order of business will be picking a suitable place to set up a camp on the island proper. Before we clear the ruins of any inhabitants or beasts I would have the land mapped and explored, since it is there that we will need to found a town in which the workers for our project will live. Think these tasks over as we sail west and inform me of any equipment that you will require besides food and water."

And this concluded this significant meeting which founded the Prince's comitatus, his band of able men and women. The tasks laid out in front of them seemed simple enough, and even though Jo knew that there had been attempts on Tay to wei's life before this could hardly become a problem again on a remote uninhabited island. Or could it? At least there had to be reasons why the Prince was doing what he was doing, even if it was just personal paranoia. Regardless, so far nobody was worried but it would remain to be seen if it would really all be glory and little hardship.

OOCAlright, so that's a milestone. I will transition this over into a new chapter soon, but you can continue to post in here for the time being. If there is anything you think you might need to bring to the island other than what you currently own (within reason of course) you can already "order" it. Mostly talking equipment of course, nothing that'd make later missions super easy or that costs thousands or millions in coin.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 08:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Atale thinks over the recent turn of events and smiles her small icing-ringed smile. She babbles to Jo'seph and NKasa as they paced the deck. "Adventure and exploration! We shall reclaim this haunted castle, and there shall be a ballroom with endless dancing." She twirls at the thought of it.

When she finds time, she will see about ordering some basic first aid supplies, in case some of her meat companions ever need tending to in the field.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 07:30 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
"I will need a couple of good fencing blades. We should also have a supply of mundane tools-axes, saws, hammers, and similar devices which will help us set up camp."
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 02:49 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Story continued here.

Closing this thread in a few days.

Last edited by Phettberg; Mar 1st, 2020 at 02:49 PM.
Closed Thread