Game Thread Chapter 5: Shifting Tides - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
A skirmishUnder shouts of war and the sounds of clash of steel on steel a quick battle ensued as every soldier in the infantry jumped ashore from all the boats that had been beached and charged at the jungle to drive the humans away. Arrows and spears were still flying out of the green, mostly targeted at the Mammoths who could do little but stand on the boats enduring the projectiles hitting their armour and sometimes leathery skin.

At the flank of the army things were slightly less dire because the human skirmishers thinned out. The Zahmes breath had carried no Mammoth, though this meant that the archers that had remained to fire into the woods were the sole target of the projectiles coming out of it sent by human hand. As such Raaz, Ase and the archers that had remained back had to face a constant battering from above for at least ten seconds. Some of the arrows stuck.

In comparison things on the beach, especially here on the side of the battle, the opposition was less fierce. As Pataya, Atale, Jo'Seph and the other infantrymen rushed into the jungle the humans were already stepping back in an orderly, planned fashion. As they engaged they were met by melee fighters stepping through the ranks to cover the retreat of the archers. They themselves turned afer a minute of fighting, those that were not slain.

A horn was blown after less than five minutes. It could be easily heard even inside the dense forest, and was followed by a shouted command by Nergui that was repeated by various Squadleaders: "Do not pursue! Rally!"

The horn was blown twice more as the infantry slouched back to the narrow strip of beach, some dragging companions that had been wounded with them. The squads were then ordered to tend to their wounded while those hale cut down the bush enough for the Mammoths to disembark. None of the giant creatures had been slain by the assault of arrows, though some of them were whining and howling with trunks raised. The handlers would have their hands full.

As Raazes squad exited the jungle themselves Nergui was just walking over to their Trireme, looking for Raaz to relay some further orders. While only some of the Infantry had been slightly wounded things looked worse in the boat. Raaz herself had been stuck twice with an arrow, and even Ases hard shell could not protect him from a heavy spear that had glanced him. Worst off was Sheedi, who was bleeding from five or six different cuts, the worst of which was across his spongy forehead. The swelling had shut his eyes somewhat, but at least the heavy brow this had resulted in had the blood running down to either side, not blinding him. The luckiest Archer remained the dark skinned human, Nkasa, who while having fought back fiercely was blessed by luck.

"Goes for you as well," Nergui told Raaz after locating her. "Patch yourself up a little, then you are free to do as you please in accordance with your mission."

She motioned to Wahka, who had further back in the boat. The Bullywug removed a few protective planks and pulled up the small chest in which the jar of the highly deadly poison was sitting nestled within hay.

"Don't forget this," the Platoon commander advised and leaned in closer. "The humans will most likely break off some of the besieging army to engage with us as soon as we push out of the jungle. We'll be slow to get through there, especially with the animals. They'll have to leave enough to encircle the city, of course, but they are only looking at five hundred hungry defenders. So what I would do if I were in your shoes would be to just walk down the beach until you see the city, then break into the jungle on your approach. Happy hunting."

The Tsing Goun warrior nodded at the Squad before she turned to tend to her own army, who was slowly recovering from the challenging landing.


OOCSomething I had forgotten in the last post: Pataya received a one hp hit already. In addition to that there is another hit.

I'll sum up the conditions below:
 


I'm shrouding the exact numbers a bit for Npcs:
 

  #32  
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 06:28 AM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz"Everyone, patch up as much as we can. If we have any healers, that would be a bonus." she cursed as she tried to wrap a bandage around her wound, feeling the blood loss already getting to her.

Part of her wanted to just rest now, but that wasn't an option, "We'll take less than an hour, if we can, patch up and go down the beach. We need to stay out of sight, and away from any fights for as long as possible. If we get into a battle with them we may be out numbered."

Sheedi, looking the worst, she studied his wounds and used a rag to whip the blood off his face, "You're gonna have a nasty scar there, but you'll be fine, stay in between everyone."
  #33  
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 08:09 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"I managed to avoid significant injury myself. Let's try to maintain good order and head to our primary mission area."
Jo'Seph tries to keep is statement vague in case the humans are somehow listening in.
  #34  
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Patching Up and heading outSheedi spat out some blood that had been pooling in his mouth from a cut tongue, but nodded when Raaz assured him that he would make it. Afterwards everybody that knew how was cleaning blood off broken skin and bandaging wounds for almost the next hour while tha main army was still having away into the jungle to unload the Mammoths and their full force. Those that had just taken a few scratches or bruises soon felt almost as good as before the landing, while some of those that had received deeper cuts were patched up as soon as it was going to get. While it was known that Ase was able to bestow magical healing the Raz'Ar thought it better to reserve that for more dire straits - since he knew that a body is only receptive for it ever so often.

In the end Sheedi still remained the most battered, but he was putting on a brave face mostly courtesy of the fact that his eyes were still half swollen shut. Raaz herself was still feeling the wounds she had sustained, but everything was bandaged up as good as it was going to get.

The Squad headed out, down the beach in southwestern direction. On the left was the open ocean, no ships in sight as the battle raged on beyond the horizonline. On the right was the jungle like a green wall, permeable but not inviting. Due to its high elevation they could already see the tips of the rock that Bura sat on under an hour later. The perspective was deceptive though, because they still had a good ten miles to go to get there.

Another half hour and they could see the masts and some of the decks of the ships fighting to the south of Bura. Some smoke was rising there now, creating black and grey spires that reached up into the skies. They were pressed against the forest to the side, so probably hardly visible from afar, but soon they needed to think about pushing into the jungle to reach the open field northeast of Bura, where the hill sloped upwards to the city. Where the Besiegers were most likely still camped, and where beasts burrowed into stone to topple the town.


OOCSo smallish update for you. It's a good time to think about general tactics. Raaz might be the boss, but everybody should feel free to at least give an opinion.

Some things to decide upon, amongst others: What's your marching order? Who is carrying the jug with the poison?
  #35  
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 08:43 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"I should stand between the archers and the enemy force. I can move to intercept anyone trying to close to melee with our archers."
  #36  
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale
"I am generally quite good at not being seen."
  #37  
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 06:55 PM
TheDragonQueen's Avatar
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen is offline
The Hoarder of Stories
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2020
RPXP: 2614
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Posts: 2,939
Raaz"Now that everyone us patched up, we need to discuss tactics. I'm sneaky too, and can try to get in and out if fast enough.", she glanced over the crew that stood before her, smiling even though the cut hurt a little bit more when she grinned, "I'm up for suggestions though."

As she waited for anyone else to step into view, she glanced over the fight ahead of them, "We need to get as close as possible. If we can get close enough and poison the creature, then we can get out quickly...but I'm worried that if we get caught it's a deadly mission instead of just risky."

Last edited by TheDragonQueen; Aug 21st, 2019 at 09:08 AM.
  #38  
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 04:23 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Getting closerThey could not advance along the beach safely anymore. While they were only a small group somebody may still catch sight of them eventually, and while the ships were all engaged in a fierce battle who knew what would follow if they were spotted. The humans had done many things with magic that sending a message to the besieging army on land seemed like an easy thing by comparison. The mission seemed too important for that.

Wordlessly Wahka suggested what some others were already thinking. The frog-like Albino had pushed into the jungle and was following parallel to the rest of squad for some time, but when the group paused briefly to watch the naval battle the Bullywug poked her head out of the wall of green to beckon the rest inside. "Not so bad here, wind bend the trees. We go west now and we hit the base of the hill."

It seemed reasonable, and with Wahka and Atale as vanguard the rest of the squad felt sure they would not bump into a human scouting party. In fact the two jungle-savy soldiers in the vanguard heard talk they could not understand in the distance multiple times. While they didn't actually caught sight of any humans they rerouted the squad every time regardless.

The march through the moist thick forest felt like it would never end especially due to these changes in course. To be absolutely sure of their direction was hard even for the scouts, but they gave it their best. That they exited the green hell at exactly the right place seemed like more of a coincidence regardless.

The jungle thinned and came to an end abruptly. One would not have been able to anticipate a respite to the forest five yards out, but here they were staring at the base of the hill that Bura sat on.

On the one side it was a vertical sheer cliff wall and on the other the steep green fields rolled upwards, though they had been made defensible with spikes stuck outwards - some of which were still standing strong. The army of the humans was encamped much further away than a besieging army would be otherwise, at the foot of the hill. It was most likely the elevation that made them a much easier target for missle fire at a closer range which had caused them to pitch their tents this far out, emboldened by the naval blockade the city had to endure on the other side.

Though the human camp looked like a good chunk of its inhabitant had been pulled away to face the landed army of the free cities that the squad had left behind. When they held their breath they could vaguely hear the fighting in the east, where the humans must have rushed to engage them as they exited the jungle. What remained in the camp was still a threatening amount of warriors, a few hundred, and some slouching beasts could be seen walking about the fringes.

But they had not been ordered to do a direct assault anyway. That the numbers were reduced would be beneficial to them regardless, but they still needed to find the snakelike beasts that they were sent to murder. As they had heard they were intended to burrow into the city from below, and indeed there were two tunnel openings going into the mountain - one closer to the squad and one on the far side. There was a modest amount of guards on duty there, probably around four for one entrance. A sort of trench was leading into them that had been carved into the ground by many feet or creatures passing - but at this size it seemed like this could only have been made by their quarry.


OOCI made a little mockup of the geography in front of you:
 


Last edited by Phettberg; Sep 15th, 2019 at 04:45 PM.
  #39  
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 08:35 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"Do we try to enter the trench?"
  #40  
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 12:12 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale
"It seems we must enter those holes. I suppose the stealthy among us can try to get past the guards and into the holes, to deliver the poison. The question is whether the rest of you want to create a diversion, and if so then we must decide on a plan for disengagement after we complete our mission. We do not wish this to be a suicide mission!"

  #41  
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 09:13 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"Where do you need me? I'm not much good with ranged weapons."
  #42  
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 10:41 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
ConsiderationsThe Squad had crouched down at the edge of the jungle, staring out at the open field of grass and the mountain beyond. Raaz seemed to be considering the situation, worlessly taking it all in while her Soldiers waited for a plan.

It was Atale that first brought up anything close to a concrete idea. But at the the suggestion of half or more of the squad creating a diversion the Rak'Ari Mali, called the Mad, made a scoffing sound. "Not a suicide mission, eh? You leave everybody that can take a human in a head on fight behind it's what it'll be for you. There'll be more humans in those tunnels."

After sucking his teeth thoughtfully Yalar, the Ux that had been a Priest and Bladedancer in a much earlier life, weighed in: "Perhaps. But I wonder that even if we decided to split our squad in... more than half I would wager, how are those that are to distract these guards to get into a position to draw them away from the door and into the open without exposing ourselves to the ire of the entire army? I would guess a covert approach would come from the left, so any effective diversion should happen from the other side."

"Hold it my friend," the Crossbowman Asef interjected. His voice had risen only slightly, returning to his usual flowery pattern again instantly. "It may be that this plan needs more work still. But it might be worth to take stock of who would be most suited to advance while keeping a low profile. There is Raaz herself of course, as a leader should always be in the vanguard, don't you think? Then valiant Atale, the new friend who sprung this idea. I think myself not so poorly suited either, and the same goes for Acorn, Nkasa and of course our resident scout Wahka. Where is Wahka anyway?"

Asef looked around, but indeed Wahka was not crouched near the others at this moment.

"I'm not leaving Buckets side," grumbled Acorn, the human brother of the simple minded warrior.

"Shut yer traps for a second and look," blurted out Gao, gruff Gettan warrior, and pointed up towards the fortified city. "Some big things moving about on the battlements."

And indeed there were shapes moving up on the wall that were large enough of plentyful enough to be seen at even this distance. It might be that the ballistae were being moved, or a shift of guards changed.

"I tell ya what I would do if I were those poor suckers," Gao continued. "Last we heard they had well over six hundred soldiers in that there fortress. Remember the city sent them over right after Meshkou, when people could already guess this sorry place would be next?"

Waving a calloused hand over at the Camp of the Besiegers, now not as bustling as it may have been a few hours before, he added: "So our army landing has drawn as many soldiers as they can spare away - and if they knew what's good for them a little more even. Now I bet Bura is gearing up to engage the rest of them here. Those human scum think the defenders will be too cowed to do it."

That Nkasa, Bucket and Acorn were also a human did not seem to tame Gaos language, and with some finality he said: "I can feel it in my bones. The diversion is coming anyway. We all just rush the tunnel. Stealth or no stealth, once we're in we can hold it for as long as will be necessary for these interlopers to be kicked out."

"Hiding Tools," came a voice from the back of the Squad. It was Wahka, bulging eyes poking out of her low drawn hood. She had cut a whole bundle of twigs holding large leaves, a few lianas and another large leaf that was filled with some mud and clay. She began at Jo'Seph, tying twigs to the back of his legs so the leaves sticking upwards covered his back. When this was done she grabbed some mud to slap a handful into his palm.

"Rub mud on face, lie low on ground, move slow. Leaf cover back. Green. Look like grass from far away. Not so good when close up, but we just need to go a hundred feet to this there cliff wall there." The Bullywug pointed to some spot a few yards to the left of the humans guarding the tunnel, where the vertical cliff wall blocked the view to the front of the slope leading upwards.

As Wahka moved on to the next person, Gao of all people, the Warrior protested. "This is nonsense you damn Frog! I'm wearing heavy armour!"

"Mud dull the shine, and sound don't matter far away. You think somebody hear you just stop, green spot on the ground no enemy." Wahka would not be deterred, and she bound the same long sticks to the mans leg. While Gao still seemed to find this highly questionable he did not stop her.

"I come from far north, with jungles like this." Nkasa, the black skinned human said after a brief pause. She herself picked up some of the shrubbery and helped Wahka to prepare the squad. "Wooden armour is popular there. Heavy, but you blend into the vegetation. People turned themselves into bushes just like this."

"My armour is cane," piped up Bucket, happy to have something to contribute, even if it was not exactly relevant.

After careful preparation, which took maybe half an hour of binding twigs on people and rubbing mud all over armour and exposed skin, the squad was as ready as it was ever going to get. Up over Bura the movement had not stopped, making Gaos theory seem ever more likely.

"We go now," asked Wahka eventually. "Yes? Low to the ground, very slow. Large gap between one and two and three. Take us long time to get over, but safe."


OOCEven if you still want to split up the squad everybody is now camouflaged. This does not replace a stealth roll, but an observer needs to beat both rolls to spot people with some certainty.

And if you really take it slow you get a bonus to the stealth roll. 1/8th your speed would be +3, for example. Even for people in heavy armour that would mean one individual needs a few minutes to cross those 30-50 yards, and with a gap between people of fifteen seconds or so you could be all there in half an hour of careful movement.
  #43  
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 05:12 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph carefully moves slowly across the area, freezing if the humans appear.
He will keep his weapon sheathed, as it is too far away to worry about...
Dice Roll:
3d6 5, 5, 5 Total = 15
a roll to see how well I can move...
  #44  
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 02:57 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale

Atale smirks at the statement about not being able to take on a human but says nothing until the bullywog gives her the camo material.

"Thanks for the camouflage." She begins the painstaking creep toward the cave mouths.

 

  #45  
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
The ApproachOne by one people in the squad started to move across the open plain. Raaz had ordered that they were to start with the largest and most well armoured, who were supposed to move at a crawling pace, since with them the operation would succeed or fall. The ones waiting in a silent queue saw that indeed the slow moving green shapes, obscured by leaf and twig, blended well with the low grass. They did seem obvious to those knowing they were in fact warriors stealing their way across the space, but it was as good as it was going to get. The sound of the ocean obscured the occasional clattering of armour. The wait was excruciatingly long seeing as everybody was moving so slowly. Still it was with a somewhat queasy feeling that Jo'Seph himself started to slowly crawl.

Atale followed soon after, and the both of them had little problem to remain quiet while they made their way over. Yet when they were halfway through - the first three squadmembers had already reached the edge of the hill that was secluded from view - it seemed like the human guards turned and walked a few paces towards them to look out over the field. At the distance it was not entirely sure where exactly they were looking, the sea or at the grassy plain itself, but the whole train of sneaking warriors stopped for many minutes, faces pressed into the earth and listening intently if there was any calls of alarm. None came, and eventually the caravan progressed further. After what seemed like a lifetime, but probably was little over an hour, everybody was on the other side.

There quiet signals were exchanged. Atale and Jo'Seph, who had ended up to the right and therefore closest to the entrance of the cave with its human guards were ordered to take a few quiet steps that way and look around the corner. Doing so very carefully they found the four human guards arguing with each other in their own peculiar tongue. They wore little but a few strips of fur, also having only brought this inconvenient material for the climate like a lot of their brethren. In weaponry they had a random assembly on them - spears being abundant, which were accompanied by bone axes, small bucklers and short swords.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB