Game Thread Chapter 5: Shifting Tides - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 07:20 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'seph takes up a position at the front of the force, trying to be as quiet as possible. He took out his blade as he grew close to the humans, and waited for a good opportunity, either to sneak past the guards or to ambush one of them...
This is somewhat outside his training, but not completely beyond the power of a nimble swordsman, especially one wearing only silk...
The real problem is that it will be all but impossible to silence all the guards before anyone in the tunnels becomes aware of what is going on.
  #47  
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
As soon as the guards are not looking this way, Jo'Seph will signal for the squad to charge out, as silently as possible.
Hopefully, they can kill the guards and get into the tunnel before any more guards show up...
Dice Roll:
3d6 6, 6, 2 Total = 14
Basic roll in case one is needed (for an attack or stealth check)
  #48  
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
The little golem surveyed the small band of humans. They made such big targets! It looked possible, if her party struck quickly, to make short work of the guards. She decides that hitting the enemy from multiple directions would be to her allies' advantage. Taking advantage of the undergrowth, she attempts to work her way around the guards. Once off to their flank she will charge with her spear at the nearest guards' vitals then tumble off to one side, in hopes that the rest of her party will take it as a cue to enter the fray. She nods knowingly at Jo'seph and tries to indicate with and signals that she intends to circle around then being the attack.

 


Stats
HP = 22

Last edited by Yoshimi; Sep 27th, 2019 at 07:50 AM.
  #49  
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 04:57 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
ChargeAs those on the frontline steeled their resolve to advance the archers in the group loaded their bolts or darts into crossbow and sling or readied their arrows. Atale left the safety of the cliff face first, trying to get around. Though she was still camouflaged with leaf and mud she moved right into the field of vision of the guards - and since she had to move quickly now they started pointing her way only a few seconds in.

This proved to be somewhat of an advantage though, as Jo'Seph had also left the hiding spot and was running directly at the humans. This had prompted the archers to take a step to the side, aim, and fire a volley of missiles. The arrows and bolts flew over the back of the rest of the melee fighters, which had joined the To'Ari in quiet determination.

A few projectiles just missed the lucky guards but Asefs bolt hit one of them in the uncovered abdomen. Sheedi of all people struck another right in the jugular. The man made a terrifying sound as he gurgled up a small fountain of blood and fell over.

Then the infantry connected. While the humans had rallied enough after the first few seconds of confusion to ready their weapons they were quickly overwhelmed. Atale burried her spear in the side of the human that had already been shot only to retrieve the spear again and jab it in the mans chest. Jo'Seph engaged with another and sliced across his shoulder and sternum. Bucket, the mocha skinned ox of a human, joined him and burried an axe in the unlucky womans skull.

Gao was jabbing at one of the two that were left standing, keeping the man busy. Yalar was engaged with the other, and he likewise kept the man busy until 'Mad' Mali trotted up to lift her massive studded stick to swing it slowly at the humans hip. The guard tried to jump backwards, but the weapon still connected with him at the thigh and knocked him sideways and down. Yalar did a turn, his technique always being heavy on flourish, and sliced the man down where he lay.

With only one man left standing the squad could drive the guard towards the entrance of the cave and finished him off with little hesitation. The archers had already joined up from the back and were pulling bodies into the mouth of the tunnel.

The hole was lit by three or four torches that were fixed to the wall. It went first straight into the mountain before making a slight right turn. The walls were at first smooth earth, but one could see that this was replaced by rough stone a little further in even though the light was failing.

"Grab the torches," Raaz ordered as she ripped out the twigs and wiped at the mud on the fur of her face. "We advance quickly but quietly. You you and you in the front. Gao, Bucket and Yalar bring up the back. Mali, pick up the poison jug and with me." She had been pointing at Jo, Atale and Wahka to form a vanguard. When those three advanced the rest followed, with the rearguard coming last and looking over their shoulder ever vigilantly.


OOCFor the next post(s) give me stealth and perception rolls with the text.

Last edited by Phettberg; Sep 30th, 2019 at 04:57 AM.
  #50  
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 07:38 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph heads down the tunnel, trying to stay in front of the archers but give them a clear shot.
If the tunnel proves too narrow for that, he will fall back a bit to allow the archers a shot.
Stealth check:
Dice Roll:
3d6 2, 1, 5 Total = 8

Perception check:
Dice Roll:
3d6 6, 2, 6 Total = 14
  #51  
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 06:49 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
"Let us hunt down the beast!" Atale smiles to herself in the gloom. Spear at the ready, she pads down the tunnel, confident that the archers can fire over her head. She peers into the darkness attempting to make out the forms of her foes.

 
  #52  
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 03:45 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Into the MawThe band of intruders snuck down the tunnel. That it was almost seven feet tall and wide did not bode well for the size of the creature they were to slay, that was if it was really true that it had eaten into earth and stone. The tunnel was deep, and every seventy feet or so there was a circular hall that was lined with sludge on either side. Atales sharp eyes saw that out of some of it stuck the bones of animals at least the size of a dog.

Torches were stuck in the walls at large intervals, meaning that there were spaces in the middle that were almost entirely pitch black. But they could see or hear no human guards for the first ten minutes of slowly walking down the winding tunnel.

Since this was underground it came to no surprise that at first it got colder than the humid tropical outside air. Yet what was strange that at a certain point it began to warm up again, wafts of rotten hot air flying down the tunnel. And then there was a sound. A clicking, grinding, far away in the distance, like a hundred millstones rolling over grain. Like hail on ice.

Atale heard that there was something else there first. Voices. They were coming from up the corridor, just where it expanded into another circular hall - this one much larger than the regular ones cut (or eaten) into the stone. There seemed to be some humans there quietly having a conversation, barely audible over the clacking in the distance that had by now grown as loud as a waterfall.


OOCDon't forget that you also need to carefully coat weapons and missiles in the poison, which does take a little while unless you want to increase the risk of getting it on yourself as well.
  #53  
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 10:38 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale signals a halt. She gathers the party into a huddle and indicates that it was time to poison their weapons. She cautions everyone not to get it on themselves, although not overly worried about herself. Since she is immune to poison, she will provide help with everyone's weapons however she can.
  #54  
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph will stand in front of the others once the weapons are poisoned, but be ready to drop and allow the missiles to fly over him. Hopefully, he can keep the guards back long enough for the archers to hit the beasts. He will not waste poison on his own weapons, because he will be much more effective at keeping the guards back.
  #55  
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
A stinger poisonedThe group huddled up in a corner of the tunnel before a part in the bend that had some light falling on it from the far side. Mindful of the voices and strange clacking in the distance they started to poison those weapons most likely to be able to break the skin of the beasts they were to hunt: Atales spear, Gaos Jian, Yalars Shotel, Buckets Axe. They could not take the time to poison every last arrow, bolt and dart the group had with them either - and in any case with ammunition there was a higher chance of self contamination - so Raaz ordered that three bolts or arrows should be treated each for the longbow of acorn and the crossbows of Asef and Sheedi, but no more. The other ranged weapons did not pack quite as much of a punch, but she treated one arrow for herself and Nkasa and a dart for Wahka just in case.

With that out of the way the next thing to do was to creep forward to get a sense of what was ahead of them. Around the next bend the tunnel opened into an oval cave, in the middle of which there seemed to be a hole in the ground around which a few unarmed humans stood and laboured. Only two of them were facing in the general direction of the squad, but they were all very busy shoveling an orange foul smelling muck into the hole.

On the opposite side of the cave two tunnels exited, and therefore it was quite safe to assume that to the right of where the Squad currently was the other entrance into the cave system connected with this oval chamber.

The far, right and left wall held man-high alcoves separated from the hall with metal bars and grated metal doors. Behind these there were more humans, two each in the ones that the group could see around the corner. They were not carrying any weapons in their hands as they sat about on upturned buckets and other makeshift stools, but jutting out of the alcoves were rather long spears - twelve feet easily and ending in three pronged metal - that were set on hinges fixed to the metal bars of the alcoves.

"Skeleton crew," whispered Gao. "Don't think this is a guard setup. Weren't expecting anybody getting in here anyway."

Yalar the Uxian Bladedancer nodded at that, a rare moment of accord with the brusque Gettan veteran. "It would have something to do with the beasts," he added.

"So they're handlers," Mali blurted out a little too loudly, making everybody around cringe. Yet no human turned his head over the crunching sounds off in the distance. The half naked Rak'Ari continued at a more tolerable volume: "In their little cages with these pig stickers - we just rush em. Shoot an arrow or two and kick a monkey down the hole there."

Nkasa the dark skinned human wrinkled her nose in disgust at the careless words, but she said nothing as Mali finished: "Then we just run through. Take them a while to get after us, and there's not so many of them."


OOCMockup of the cave, with workers in orange and warriors in red - though none of them have short range personal weapons:
 


Obviously some of it you can't actually see, hence the question marks - but if you extrapolate it seems safe to assume that there are fewer humans than you.

Don't forget that you are 100% in charge meta-game wise (or each 50% in charge), so go and do what you think should be done.

Last edited by Phettberg; Oct 11th, 2019 at 12:42 PM.
  #56  
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 09:45 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"On my signal, we move in-I'll try to keep the handlers buy..."
Jo'Seph will wait for a moment to be certain the beast handlers are looking the other way, then signal for the advance and move out. He will probably be spotted before he can get close to them, but his presence will distract the handlers long enough for his allies to poison the beasts.
He will have his sword drawn, because this gives him the best chance to parry if one of the handlers attacks with a spear...
Defense roll to dodge or block attacks while I move up:
Dice Roll:
3d6 4, 3, 1 Total = 8

Last edited by Ericg1s; Oct 7th, 2019 at 09:45 PM.
  #57  
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 07:19 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale suspects there are guards in each alcove. She will lead some party members into the room, in a rush toward the obscured alcove on the west side. She will signal Jo'Seph to take a party to engage the guards on the east side of the room. Once the battle is joined she will cry to the laborers to rise up for their freedom and join our side.

Dice Roll:
3d6 5, 2, 3 Total = 10
  #58  
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
ChargeRaaz nodded quietly as Jo'Seph resolved to follow through with what was more or less Malis plan. In the time between then and when some of the workers and handlers were evidently looking the other way the squad did not fully settle on what to do after their initial charge.

The To'Ari fencer gave the singal and all of those carrying melee weapons ran forward. The five squadmembers carrying ranged weapons stepped up as well, but to ready their weapons and fire them at the northern alcove. The arrows flew through the air above the workers heads to make short work of those two hapless soldiers in the northern alcove.

The infantry had engaged with their various targets in the meantime, one half joining Atale at savaging the western alcove and a few of them trying to drive away the workers.

Now getting rid of those guards wasn't actually as easy as initially thought, mostly because they were standing behind steel bars, and while one of them was struck by Gaos broadsword the second one stepped back a few paces and found himself mostly out of the reach of their weaponry. The human soldier could only stare, bewildered by the sudden appearance of enemies in this cave.

Eventually Atale was calling for the workers to put down shovel and join them. It fell on deaf ears due to the language barrier, the labourers probably assuming it was a warcry of sorts. Only a few of them did anything at all though, two swinging their shovels at the approaching Squad while the others merely turned and ran out the southeastern tunnel. Bucket, the human warrior, parried one of the shovels and then caused the attacker a glancing blow across shoulder and chest. To his horror the man stared at him for a second before dropping to the floor, where he convulsed and foamed at the mouth as the wound started to turn black and purple within seconds.

With three guards and one worker dead the morale of the humans was shook immediately. The soldiers in the eastern and southern alcove were shouting something at each other, readying their impractically long spears and pointing them towards the squad. Though their weapons were cumbersome and fixed to the metal bars - nothing with which to actually fight a man of any species.

"My advice would be for us to move on," said Asef the To'Ari crossbowman as he stepped into the cave. He waved a free hand towards the soldiers crouching behind their metal bars. "These are not much threat to us right now."

Raaz had advanced in a crouch and was now at the northwestern exit. She listened into the tunnel for a second and then took a few steps forward to see what was around the next bend. When she returned the Ilder looked resolved: "I saw the back of at least one human up ahead. Armour and weapons this time - maybe officer. The heat and noise is getting way worse there too, and I may have seen something blue. I think we found our first mark."
  #59  
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 07:56 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph will have one person watching the guards to give a warning if they try to attack, and take the rest of the melee fighters in front with him to attack the armored figure. The archers with poisoned weapons can take position behind him.
  #60  
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale will lead the foray alongside Jo'Seph. She readies her net, hoping to negate the enemy's armor quickly by entangling them. "It does not seem that they expect out approach even now. The noise ahead is too great. Let us see if we can catch them unawares"

 


Stats
Hp 22
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB