Game Thread Chapter 5: Shifting Tides - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
ContactWith a few quick words it was decided that Mali was to remain behind not only because she was physically imposing, but also because her bludgeoning weapon had not been coated in poison. Though the guards in the eastern alcove had opened their gates to run away, and it seemed like the southern one would soon follow, so it was more of a matter of keeping an eye out for the inevitable reinforcements the humans would be receiving at some point. Wahka also stayed behind, since four eyes saw better than two.

The rest of the squad crept forward, sticking to the right of the trail to remain as inconspicious as possible. Sound was no issue anymore, since the grinding and clattering rose to a near frantic pitch as they walked deeper into the northwestern tunnel.

The one armored human remained in view facing away from them, though as they advanced three more of his kind came into the field of vision of the men up front, as did a fifth human in a more ritualistic outfit. After ten yards or so it was possible to get a better view on the four warriors as well: There were two men and two women wearing cured leather armour, over which was layered a bone cuirass and shoulder plates. The heads similarly were covered in a leather skullcap and a bone helmet, which seemed to have been made of the skulls of large animals. One could be identified by the large antlers as some sort of deer. In terms of weaponry all four of them wielded large glaives they were pointing up ahead, though on their belts hung sheathes for broadswords or hooks for axes. All four of them were sweating profusely due to the heat of the tunnel, and on the floor nearby many a discarded or still full wineskin lay.

The central and fifth figure was dressed in furs that even while they were thick seemed to be more for fashion than protection. The man was turned away as well, so one could not say much more about him beyond that he held no weapons, but had empty hands outstretched above his head. A bone dagger was tucked into a belt.

In front of these five humans was the source of all the heat and the commotion. It was the rear end of the creature that seemed to be part insect and part snake, but all giant. A segmented body of blue chitinous plates, with a multitude of angular legs sticking out of the sides and ending in sharp claws. What little one could see of the underside was not plated, but merely scaly and white, and was apparently the part that exhumed the extreme temperatures. The head of the creature could not be seen up ahead since it seemed to be more than ten feet long, but one could hear it biting away at the stone.


OOCI've not engaged you with the enemy just yet, because I hadn't clarified that the armored human is twenty yards down a corridor and just around a bend - so when moving forward the other humans (and the rear end of your target) came into view. It might change the approach slightly.

Map:
 


Jo and Atale are within movement range of the humans - beyond that the exact scale should not be so important.
  #62  
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 05:04 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale puts her face up to Jo's ear and whispers, "Why don't you signal the charge. I will try to net the magic user. Once the rest of you engage, I will try to weave past the enemy and stab the beast."
  #63  
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph moves forward to engage the humans in melee. His weapon is not poisoned, so he is better off facing the guards.
Dice Roll:
3d6 4, 5, 3 Total = 12
attack roll.
((I forget what TR+1 is for damage))
  #64  
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Cut OffJo'Seph was the first to move forward after he heard the whisper of the Golem in his ear, picking the closest human to attack from behind. The warrior might have been armoured, but he had no chance to defend himself in any way. The blade slid in through a stitch in the leather and into the flesh within before it was withdrawn bloody. The man fell forward and bumped into the woman in front of him before sliding onto the floor in a writhing heap. One warrior was most likely taken out of the fight this way, but the others had been alerted and turned.

The rest of the infantry was advancing while the archers disengaged from the muddy wall of the tunnel and fired a few tentative shots. They had to be very careful not to hit any of their own men in the back, and none of the projectiles did any damage, the best of them gliding off of armour. Some of them hit the chitinous back of the gargantuam creature ahead, which prompted an ear shattering shriek from around the corner - where surely its head must have been.

The unarmoured figure that was closest to the heat-radiating snakelike monster stepped back just as the beast writhed and rammed its tail end into the sides of the cave multiple times. The stone around them shook, and the leader of the group turned on the spot and glanced around with eyes opened wide.

All of this happened in a few seconds, but it was enough time to destabilise the tunnel. Stones started to slide and large chunks to fall from the ceiling. The central human swung his hands up in the air as if to ward off the rocks threatening to bash his head in, but instead shouted forth some incomprehensible words of power. As if an invisible dome had been errected within the tunnel the rock started to bounce and fall in strange patterns away from the humans and the infantry that had engaged with them. Those behind were cut off as the tunnel was closed behind - or worse, possibly crushed.

Jo'Seph and Atale found themselves deprived of their great numerical advantage, and unless those that were left behind cut find a way around of a lot of their poisoned weapons. Only Bucket, the simple but strong human, and Yalar, were at their side.


OOCWe will be moving into a combat scenario from here on out. If you need a refresher of how I have houseruled this see the example here. The abbreviated version is: Two rounds in one post, one action and two defenses each.

You still have the upper hand this first round, so the enemies act only once (between your first and second round).

Updated Map:
 
  #65  
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
As the tunnel collapses, things begin to look bad. Jo'Seph clings to one possible chance-If he can kill all the guards/handlers, he may be able to get the creature to go so out of control that it collapses the human's tunnels and prevents them from getting under the city. If the siege fails here, they may have to pull back...to whererever they come from...
Jo'Seph will engage the closest guard, keeping up a normal series of attacks and parries rather than going all out on offense or defense. His armor is very light, but his master of the blade may help compensate.
Round one attack:
Dice Roll:
3d6 3, 5, 6 Total = 14

Round one parry defense:
Dice Roll:
3d6 1, 4, 2 Total = 7

Round two attack:
Dice Roll:
3d6 4, 6, 5 Total = 15

Round two parry defense:
Dice Roll:
3d6 2, 2, 3 Total = 7


The sword does TR+1 on a hit...hopefully enough damage to get through their armor and injure the guards.
  #66  
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale sees her only chance to try and make a difference here. She runs forward, dives, and rolls between two of the infantry. She comes up and tries to entangle the mage in her net before he can cast any more spells. She whips it at the human, attempting to entangle as much of him as possible. She will then twirl out of retaliation range.

 


Stats
HP=22
  #67  
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 08:51 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Combat Round 1 & 2The battle had been joined in earnest now, and while both sides were mildly stunned by the shaking of the earth they were more or less equally so.

Jo'Seph whipped his sabre at the human male he had chosen, who just about barely deflected the blade since he had to shift his grip on the polearm that he held.

Atale in the meanthime had danced through between either of them to find herself on the other side of that wall of warriors.

Bucket failed to connect with his large axe, while Yalar made his curved shotel dance but inflicted only a mild wound on his opponent.

The human warriors started to return the favour, taking a step back each to use their polearms to full effect. Bucket was hit since his weapon was unready and he failed to dodge out of the way in time, but it seemed not to be a lethal blow. Yalar parried away a glaive that was coming his way, as did Jo'Seph.

The fur-clad human looked at Atale wideeyedly, and instead of pulling out the dagger that was tucked into his belt he half turned and swung a hand in the direction of the awful insect-like beast. As he did so he shouted a few words, and there was a barely perceivable change in the atmosphere that was going towards the monster. In return the brute shrieked again, louder this time than even before, when it had been tickled by projectiles. It started to move further into the tunnel, ramming its backside into the cave as it slithered a few yards. There it twisted somehow as if it was forcefully trying to turn around in a very tight space, and its massive body made even more rocks break out of the tunnel walls and fall down towards those fighting within.

The initiative was with the squad again. Bucket readied his Axe, unable to do much of anything else, while Yalar attacked yet again only to have his enemy weave out of the way of the sabre.

Jo had better luck this time, as his opponent was too slow to whack his metal to the side. His stab not only connected but pushed the better part of the jian into the side of the warrior, who ejected a pained growling sound as the blade was withdrawn.

Atale threw his net, and the human mage was still mildly distracted by having worked a spell that it hit and covered him completely.

Going further it seemed that the two warriors that were facing off with Bucket and Yalar were about to focus both of their attacks on the human squadmember, probably feeling him to be the weaker fighter. The The country these humans come from, in case anybody had forgottenCaerphian opposite Jo'Seph seemed to be content to just swing his Glaive at the To'ari. The mage in turn had nothing much more he could do was to struggle to free himself from the net or to try and damage it enough to slip out.


OOCGive me any kind of dodge check before any of your next action (including the normal defense rolls). If it fails you incur some damage from the falling rocks, so take that into account when planning your actions (i.e. it might mean a penalty to attack for characters that have that).

Updated Map:
 

Last edited by Phettberg; Oct 26th, 2019 at 12:52 PM.
  #68  
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 04:42 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
The cavern shutters and chunks of rock and dirt rain down. Atale does her best to twirl and weave out of the way. As she gets to a stable position, she notices the mage trying to struggle free of her net The golem whispers hoarsely, "No more trouble-making from you!" She steps forward and attempts to thrust her toxic spear into the flesh of her captive enemy. If that succeeds she will pull it free and then turn to their true quarry. She will attempt to jump out of the way of any more falling rock then charge forward hoping to drive her spear into a weak point in the monster's hide. She then will duck and roll away from the thrashing tail.

 


Stats
HP=22
  #69  
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 09:41 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph continunes to attack in melee...
Dice Roll:
3d6 2, 6, 5 Total = 13
to hit
Dice Roll:
3d6 4, 4, 2 Total = 10
to parry
Dice Roll:
3d6 3, 3, 6 Total = 12
to avoid falling rocks.
If he is able to defeat his current foe, he will attempt to move to aid his squad-mates. The important matter is to defeat these guards quickly.
  #70  
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Combat Round 3 & 4Round 3:
The rocks falling down from the ceiling were of little consequence to most of the fighters. Atale could not avoid one of the larger chunks that were dripping down, but the crust of her skull and the leather helmet she wore took most of the damage. The same largely went for the human warriors, who were wearing even sturdier helmets on their heads. the human mage writhing in the net could not dodge anything and had almost no armour on, so he yelped when multiple stones crashed down on him.

None of that mattered much though, since Atale jumped forward to ram her spear into the side of the more or less defenseless captain of this small unit. As she retrieved her spear the man was already going silent, pausing only briefly before howling a cry that turned into a wet rattle as the man expired.

Jo'Seph was meanwhile still duelling the rightmost human warrior, stabbing forward with his fencing sword. He punctured the mans stomach, the blade going right through the hardened leather. The warrior grunted and hunched up somewhat, but remained standind with his glaive levelled in the direction of the To'ari.

Yalar and Bucket both lunged forward to give their individual opponents, each giving them glancing blows before they were parried.

Jo'Sephs opponent chose to go onto the defensive then, still shocked by the pain caused by the wound he had received.

The other two humans decided to stick to their plan of focusing on Bucket, both hitting him when his weapon was unreadied from the wild swing he had taken. The blade of the glaives cut into his upper arm and chest, making the bulky human drop his weapon and fall backwards onto the wet earth.

The monstrous wyrm continued his U-turn in the tunnel, the movement shaking the stone all around. It had succeeded in withdrawing most of its lower body and get its head facing the other way, but was not as of yet entirely mobile. Its head was as terrible as the rest of its body, with segmented huge eyes, a blue chitinous spiked flaring to each side and gaping mouth that ended in sharp triangular teeth exposed to the air like a skulls. Twin antennae were twitching about forked above the head and another set running down around the mouth like a weird moustache.

Round 4:

Atale avoided the falling rocks this time, as did the human warrior in front of Jo'Seph and Yalar.

The two human warriors that were opposite Yalar and Jo'Seph both were struck by a larger stone - a glancing blow that hurt nontheless.

Having successfully dispatched the mage of the human group Atale decided to try and make short work of the beast that was their actual target. The monster had moved down the tunnel a lot, but after a quick jog she jabbed her poisoned spear at the underbelly of the insectoid worm. In its impeded state it could neither writhe away in time or parry the weapon with its teeth, so the metal struck true and was return wet with blue blood. The beast roared at this, but did not seem to react in as quick a fashion as the humans touched by the substance did. Maybe the poison had been diluted by touching the blood of the mage, or maybe the body of the beast was just that much larger, taking time to completely succumb to it.

Jo'Seph had meanwhile decided to focus entirely on the defence. This was just as well, since out of the three warriors left two again chose to focus on a single opponent, which in this case was the To'Ari. The first blade he parried with ease, but the second one he would have been hit by if he hadn't concentrated on defending himself.

Yalar had only to deal with one of the humans, and he also managed to whack the blade away in time.

The beast had been riled up by Atale, but it had not yet died. So it finally completed its turn most of the way and lunged at the Golem. Her teeth came dangerously close to her, but she managed to dance away backwards in time.

Going further:
One human is about to attack Yalar, Two humans are about to attack Jo. (All three are hurt, by the way, with the one opposite Jo being the worst of the bunch)

The Monster is about to go try and rip Atale into pieces any way it can.


OOCSo I didn't get a dodge for the rocks from Jo'Seph, nor did I get a second round action. So I did those rolls and assumed an all out defence.

EDIT: Updated Map
 

Last edited by Phettberg; Oct 26th, 2019 at 04:22 PM.
  #71  
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 07:16 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Dice Roll:
3d6 6, 4, 3 Total = 13
to dodge rocks
Jo'Seph attacks the human who seems most wounded.
Dice Roll:
3d6 1, 6, 4 Total = 11
to hit
Dice Roll:
3d6 1, 5, 4 Total = 10
parry

If he is badly hurt, Jo'Seph will focus on defense. If not, he will continue to attack, but not recklessly.
Dice Roll:
3d6 3, 4, 6 Total = 13
to hit
Dice Roll:
3d6 5, 4, 5 Total = 14
parry
Dice Roll:
3d6 1, 3, 5 Total = 9
to dodge more rocks
  #72  
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 09:29 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale Takes a Stand

Atale grins broadly as her fight against the beast commences. "What nice scales!" She jumps to one side to try and avoid the falling rocks. She then plants her feet and lances upward with her spear toward the nearest surface of the monster, holding her ground a moment longer than might be wise. Then at the last moment she tumbles out of the way of the horrible jaws. If the battle is still joined, she repeats her previous maneuvers, trying to ram her spear home as best she can then ducking and weaving to avoid being struck.

 


Stats
HP=21
  #73  
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
One downThe two humans to the left of Jo'Seph tried to swing another attack at him or Yalar. The target was not entirely clear because the strength left them as they lifted their polearms in the air. They fell down in a heap and started foaming at the mouth as the poison that had entered their bloodstream finally started to work, only contained for a few seconds by adrenaline and some of it having rubbed off as their armour was pierced.

Jo'Seph exchanged a round of jabs and parries with the human opposite him as more stone fell down from the ceiling. One hit the To'Ari in the head with more force than before, making his earholes ring with a clear sound.

Meanwhile Atale was putting it all on one card yet again, jabbing for the underbelly of the beast. It was mostly due to the fact that this enormous creature had little space to maneuvre that it didn't even try to dodge at all but snapped at the weapon with its gruesome insectoid head.

Yet it was already slowing down, biting at the air above the golem as the spear was driven into the soft flesh below. Though Atale had commited fully on the attack, and when the beast coiled up and crunched down on her body once she could not get out of the way in time. The slithering monster had not its full power into the bite as Atale could tell by the fact that she was still in one piece, and she was released immediately covered in a loose film of yellowish slobber that was too thick to seriously threaten the integrity of her crust.

Then the beast howled and stretched, writhed and pounded against the walls of the tunnel of stone. But only few new cracks formed as the monster finally expired and sunk into itself, suddenly seeming like an empty husk. Its last breath filled the cavern with a scalding heat that made it all the more seem like they were in a walk-in oven.

The last human remaining eventuall froze up as Yalar focused his attentions on him, coming to the aid of Jo'Seph. The man dropped his weapon and repeated a few words in his own language. He moved on to remove his helmet and pieces of his armour.


OOCAtale is hit by 6 hp damage and Jo by 2. As you may remember there is at least another of these beasts still in existance - most likely around the bend in the right hand tunnel.
  #74  
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 08:50 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"Do we have any of the poisoned weapons left? WE still need to kill the other beast."
  #75  
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 10:00 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale leaps in exultation. "Yes!!!" Her purple eyes flash. She turns to see her companions and sees Bucket looks in terrible shape and they seem to have subdued one of the enemies. She steps lightly to her fallen comrade. "Can you continue?" She tries to tear some of his clothes to make bandages.

She answers Jo out of the side of her mouth. "I do not know how much poison is left on our blades, but I was able to kill both one of the humans and the monster with the same spear. I would guess our weapons are still potent. Can you tie up our "friend" over there?" She nods toward the enemy prisoner.

Stats
HP = 15

Last edited by Yoshimi; Oct 30th, 2019 at 10:01 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB