Game Thread Chapter 5: Shifting Tides - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 07:26 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph takes a few moments to restrain and disarm the enemy who has surrendered. Hopefully, they can release him once this whole war is sorted out....but how long will it last?
  #77  
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 11:10 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
A tunnel underneath Bura"I don't know who last held the poison," said Yalar inbetween heavy breathing before stepping over to the moaning Bucket who was writhing on the floor. "But if they weren't buried under this rubble we may be able to recoat our weapons."

The Ux bent down and inspected the cuts and bruises on the mocha skinned human who was only slowly coming to again. As Yalar ripped some strips off of the clothes of the felled caerphian warriors to bind the wounds of Bucket Jo'Seph did much the same to restrain the last standing enemy.

The man had dropped his knife last and stoically let himself be tied up, occasionally throwing glances over at the destroyed beast that had dug this tunnel. The wyrmlike creature was still discharging an unpleasant heat from it's underbelly and open hideous mouth, though its insectoid eyes were slowly glazing over, confirming that it had indeed passed.

After a few minutes Yalar was able to get Bucket on his feet, though the man had difficulty holding on to his poisoned axe. The ux helped him strap the dangerous thing away and put the leather covering in place before turning to Jo and Atale.

"There is only that way to go from here." He of course meant the sidetunnel that veered off to the right, after the way they had come from had been blocked off by falling debris. "If we are lucky it might bring us to the right tunnel. It seems like it would hold the other of these fell beasts."
  #78  
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 05:22 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
"Let's go then! If our party was not killed by the rockfall, perhaps we can rejoin them if that side tunnel leads back to the pit chamber."

She pads off down the tunnel, on guard for falling debris or enemies.
  #79  
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 07:10 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"I'll take point..."
Jo'Seph keeps his sword out and moves forward slowly...
  #80  
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
"Oop!" Atale signals a halt before the party proceeds, and retrieves her net. Then the march proceeds.
  #81  
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 05:05 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
A tunnel underneath BuraAfter Atale had retrieved her net the greatly dimished group took the tunnel to the right of them since all the other exits were plugged by either rocks or the corpse of a dead beast. Yalar had to prop up Bucket, and the two slouched along only slowly, as the big human was tremendously heavy on the softer frame of the Ux.

The cave they entered curved like most of the ones they had been in so far, and after ten yards or so it opened up into a small circular hall that had lots of ridges running around the stone floor and ceiling, possibly marking a place to turn or maneuvre for the strange monsters that had dug these tunnels. The air was somewhat cooler here than before, merely unpleasantly warm than physically scorching the skin. From there they could already hear some muffled shouting off in the distance, though the bend in the way made it impossible to see anything yet.

Leaving the circular hall and walking a few yards further down the tunnel let them see around the curve enough to see where the cave connected to another tunnel running perpendicular to it. There in T-shaped intersection they could from afar see the half naked reptilian body of 'Mad' Mali, her crimson scales shimmering in the orange torchlight that illuminated the underground. She was swinging her huge mallet in a wide arc in front of her, barely keeping at least three humans and their glaives at bay. Somebody was probably with her, because from behind the Rak'Ari there came a few projectiles flying down the tunnel, most of them missing the humans as they flew too high.

The heat had risen as they came close to the intersection, and a few rumbling sounds and shrieks announced the presence of another beast.


OOCI'll hold the map for the time being, but you are about five feet away from the nearest human and Mali.
  #82  
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph throws a spear at one of the humans in an attempt to force them back or injure one of them.
Dice Roll:
3d6 1, 5, 2 Total = 8
to hit.
((It may take me an additional round to draw the spear))
  #83  
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 09:59 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale urges Yalar and bucket to charge. "I know you're hurting but if you can just scratch the enemies with your poisoned weapons they won't last long. I need to get past them."

She will wait until the enemy human warriors are engaged, and try to use her party as a screen to sneak past the enemy warriors, in case there is another mage to disable. She will move forward to try and determine which enemy is where. She keeps her net ready for now.

 


Stats
HP = 15
  #84  
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 08:12 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
A tunnel underneath Bura"He's not charging anything," said Yalar through closed teeth and lowered the human to the ground with a grunt. The Ux then wiped some sweat off of his clammy brow, most of it not only from the general heat in the tunnels but also from the physical exertion. He unsheated his curved sword carefully, inspecting the blade for the poison on it with a quick glance before jogging off towards the humans engaged with Mali.

Although he was breathing heavily Bucket managed to unholster his Axe and drop it next to himself.

Jo'Seph threw a spear in the general direction of the humans, but at this distance his aim was less than true. The weapon clattered onto the stone floor of the cavern, prompting the closest of the four warriors to look over just in time to see Yalar approach and parry his strike.

"Ha," roared Mali, emboldened by the reinforcements. Up close one could see that she had sustained a lot of small cuts on her already scarred upper body, but she still seemed in good spirits. "Now we drive you to ruin, you damn naked apes!"

Moving quietly forward Atale could eventually see just about around the bend to either side. To the right, only a yard or so behind Mali were Wahka, Nkasa and Sheedi crouched close together reloading their various weapons. On the other side there was another human warrior next to one that was unarmoured and adorned like the other mage had been. The magic user had his back turned towards the scene, unperturbed by the missiles that had been shot his way. He was facing another of the insectoid beasts, which was slowly crawling forwards through the tunnel. It was by no means less ugly than the other one had been, but it appeared to be a good half again as massive.


OOCSo back to combat rules. All enemies not marked "M" have glaives and sidearms as backups.

 
  #85  
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 08:22 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale hisses to Jo'seph, "Will you push through the front line with me and take the battle to the worm?"

She beckons and attempts to push bast the three warriors, who appear to be occupied with her other allies. She will then attempt to net the soldier that is guarding the mage so Jo can attack the magic-user. After casting the net she will spin to try and avoid a counter attack, and get her spear ready for the next attack.

 


Stats
HP 16
  #86  
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 07:58 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph will move forward to engage the mage. He is mainly focused on keeping them from commanding the worm-beast.
Dice Roll:
3d6 3, 3, 5 Total = 11
if I am able to attack
Dice Roll:
3d6 4, 4, 5 Total = 13
parry.
Dice Roll:
3d6 3, 6, 5 Total = 14
additional roll if needed (such as to avoid the worm.))
  #87  
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 07:44 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
A tunnel underneath BuraThe Golem and To'Ari rushed forward, timing their advance with the deadly dance that Mali and Yalar were engaged in to push past the human warriors there. Around the corner they had to stare right down the mouth of the vicious beast which was crouched in the tunnel behind the magic using human, adorned as was his colleague in a variety of trinkets made of bone and steel, but with little else in the way of protection. The warrioress that stood by his side was clothed in layers of fur and leather, sweating as they all were in the hot tunnel. Contrary to the other human fighters that were engaged with the rest of the squad she held a long sword in her hand that was made of a darkened steel and hooked at the tip.

Seeing Atale and Jo the two humans readied themselves for the engagement. The warrioress lifted her weapon and took a step towards the Mage, preparing to strike anybody moving within range of her sword. The spellcaster stared at the strange apparition that was Atale and lifted both hands, palms facing the Golem, while starting to speak words neither squadmembers could understand.

The Golem cast her net at the fighter this time, but the woman hacked at the flying thing and sent it clattering to the ground somewhere next to herself. This happened just before Jo had reached the Mage to stab at him, so the warrioress directed her sword on the To'Ari on the upswing, cutting into his side. While cloth and scales provided some protection from the sharp metal it still bit the flesh.

It was apparent that the warrioress was preparing to attack Jo'Seph again, while the human mage was eager to finish casting his spell.


OOCI haven't specified the exact distances, but it was certainly more than what Jo'Seph can do in one movement (7 or 6 yards depending on equipment). Therefore he had to do a move and attack maneuvre for his attack, capping his skill and making it fail.

Jo'Seph is hit for 3 HP damage (which causes a -3 shock penalty on the following rounds attacks, but not defensive actions).

I didn't bother to redo the map, since we will focus only on these two opponents for the time being. Also we are now in regular combat again.

Last edited by Phettberg; Nov 15th, 2019 at 07:45 AM.
  #88  
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph drops back into a defensive stance, trying to keep in melee and keep his opponents focused on him.
Dice Roll:
3d6 3, 5, 6 Total = 14
basic defensive move
Dice Roll:
3d6 6, 5, 6 Total = 17
extra defensive move
Dice Roll:
3d6 3, 4, 4 Total = 11
attack if we go to another round
Dice Roll:
3d6 5, 1, 5 Total = 11
defense for another round.
  #89  
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale shakes her head, disappointed that her accurate throw was knocked aside. She calls chidingly to the mage, "No magic!" With the warrioress focused on Jo, she charges at the mage with her spear, hoping the poison was still potent, then spins away attempting to dodge any attacks coming her way.

 


Stats
HP 16
Note: Magic Resistance 2
  #90  
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Combat Round 2 & 3Jo'seph started to focus more on his defense and managed to guide the broadsword the human warrior was swinging away from his body where he otherwise probably would have failed.

Atale charged forward to jab at the human mage, and he in turn was too wrapped up in completing his chanting to avoid the attack. The Golem rammed the weapon into his abdomen and withdrew it, causing the wizard to cramp up and spasm as his spell fizzled out into chaos. This was accompanied by the immediate temperature around him dropping, though this only lowered it to an agreeable level, and crystals of frost forming on his hands and around his face. Yet the poison was still potent enough to send him falling down and have him convulse on the stone floor of the cavern.

As the remaining human warrioress was assaulted by both the To'Ari and Golem he only managed to dodge the spear of the latter. He had attempted to parry Jo's swift blade, but had his left arm punctured by the fencing weapon. While it drew blood it did not seem a very nasty wound, and the warrioress only grunted at the injury.

More troubling was that the monster in the tunnel was lurching forward, sending shakes through the stone. With a laboured shriek that blew hot air that singed the hair on the skin through the tunnel it reached out with a clawed hand to swipe at Atale. The Golem had been attempting to tumble away, yet had been less than swift and stumbled right into the insectoid claw of the blue beast to be slapped into the wall of the tunnel.

Going forward the remaining human on this side of the tunnel prepared to get to the other side of Jo'Seph to not be between the To'Ari and the beast, doing that while focusing on his defense.


OOCAtale sustains 6 HP damage (which was crushing). This is due to the fact that she failed her acrobatics roll, which instead of raising her dodge by +2 has lowered it by the same amount. Remember that there is also such a thing as a retreating dodge when you have space behind yourself.

New map:
 

Last edited by Phettberg; Nov 19th, 2019 at 05:37 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB