Game Thread Chapter 5: Shifting Tides - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 07:35 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph remains locked in melee, trying to defeat the warriors guarding the beast...
Dice Roll:
3d6 1, 5, 6 Total = 12
attack
Dice Roll:
3d6 6, 2, 3 Total = 11
parry
Dice Roll:
3d6 5, 1, 5 Total = 11
additional roll if needed (possibly for a second round of combat.)
  #92  
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 09:27 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Realizing she is in trouble if she takes much more damage, Atale decides to try and help her party break through the ranks of the guards so they can join the fight against the monster. She charges the enemy warrior directly opposite Mali (the second over from the wall). She will do her best to spin and weave away from any counter attacks. If the enemy is still standing she will press her attack, otherwise she will whirl to stab at the warrior who is next to the wall, continuing to try and dodge counter attacks.

 


Stats
HP: 10
  #93  
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 06:55 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Combat Round 4 & 5The human warrioress circled Jo'Seph while focusing on deflecting his attacks. The To'Ari was a little slow on the uptake as he was still rattled by the blow he had received not a second earlier, but he would have hit the woman if she'd not been prepared. But as it was she whacked his slender blade away.

Though the moment after the fencer seemed unsure as to what to do. When the human warrior jabed at him with her broadsword he parried it away, but he was woefully unprepared when the blue insectoid beast slammed its armoured head into him at full force. The blow knocked him backwards a few yards and onto his back, though he did not bounce against the caves wall due to his bigger size and larger weight.

Atale came as a surprise to the hapless human that was just about managing to keep Mali from smashing him to pieces. When the Golems spear pierced his lower back he wailed before the oversized mallet of the Rak'Ari descended on his head. Off to Atales right Yalar had finally managed to nick the outermost warrior there, who was poisoned and fell to the floor convulsing like all the other victims of the noxious substance.

Yalar closed in on the next human in line, but the fighter realised where his priorities had to lie and parried the curved blade as it was swung at him. Mali was readying her weapon again and barely dodge the attacks of the human closest to the wall. Atale had focused her attentions on that man too, but her spear was dodged.

"We've got a clear shot," shouted Nkasa amidst the fighting. "Keep them off of us while we reload."

Going further the human closest to the monster was about to walk over to Jo'Seph, though he was just about too far to strike at the same time. Out of the other two humans the westernmost was focusing on parrying Yalar lest he be slain by poison, while the one on the east was preparing an aggressive attack that was supposed to fell Mali, who had already sustained some injuries.

The monster was about to crawl forward, slowly since the tunnel impeded it.


OOCAs you may be able to tell I did both rounds for jo first and then for atale.

As for Jo'Seph - by now everybody should be aware of how many rolls a combat post should have. It covers two turns, each turn requiring at least 2 defense rolls (clearly labeled) plus an attack as appropriate. That's 4 rolls minimum, but since we had an attack I am missing 2 rolls. As such I decided that Jo just did not defend the second time around. He receives 4 crushing damage and is knocked back, but not knocked out. -4 shock penalty the following round.

Remembering that he has already sustained 5 damage recently he has 5 HP left. He is just about not yet reeling, but close to fainting in any case.

Updated Map:
 

Last edited by Phettberg; Nov 24th, 2019 at 10:49 AM.
  #94  
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 07:40 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph forces himself up and focuses on defense...
Dice Roll:
3d6 4, 6, 6 Total = 16
parry check
Dice Roll:
3d6 6, 4, 5 Total = 15
additional parry check
Dice Roll:
3d6 2, 6, 3 Total = 11
additional check if needed.
  #95  
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 08:40 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
OOC
Jo...Phettberg wants us to post 2 rounds at a time. Each consists of 1 attack plus 2 defense rolls.

Oh maybe you are doing 2 rounds of defense? Sorry if I was confused.

Last edited by Yoshimi; Nov 22nd, 2019 at 12:08 PM.
  #96  
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 12:16 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale focuses on bringing down the warrior threatening Mali. She stands her ground and thrusts at him with her spear, putting her full effort into the assault which costs her balance in defending. If her foe is still standing she attacks again, this time reserving part of her energy to weave aside after her stroke, or else if the warrior is down she charges Yalar's opponent.

 
  #97  
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 11:17 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Combat Round 6 & 7The insectoid monster slouched forward through the tunnel, screeching at the fighting people that were occupying it. It's segmented and armoured head was weaving from side to side while its bug-eyes were scanning the field for something to snap its massive jaws at.

The female human found herself between hammer and anvil and took one step away from the best before slashing at Jo'Seph after the To'Ari had scrambled upright again. The fencer had not yet regained his equilibrium and was sliced across the shoulder by the descending blade. Though this cut was not very deep as such things went he was slowly loosing the fight in him.

A few yards back Atale stabbed at the righternmost human, though the man moved to the side at the very last moment (OOC: This is before his all-out-attack). Similarly he dodged the descending mallet of the slowing Rak'Ari, who shouted her frustration in a hoarse bellow.

Then it was the humans turn to go onto the offense, and he put all his weight into a slow swung at Malis chest. The dragonwoman had her weapon unbalanced from having attacked just then, and she was slowed by her multiple wounds, so the heavy blade of the polearm sliced into her torso. She fell backwards and settled on the floor clutching her most recent wound.

This left the attacker open to Atales spear, however, and she jabbed the blade into the humans side. This alone seemed not enough to fell him, but in a blink of an eye later he had a crossbow bolt protruding from his chest. It had been fired by Sheedi, the timid Ux with his repeating crossbow, who seemingly had not wanted to leave Mali open to be slain outright. It may have been one of the poisoned bolts as well, since the human fell down immediately and died.

Yalar was fencing with his own warrior, and it took multiple exchanges before the Uxian bladedancer could give his opponent a glancing blow that nontheless proved fatal.

The beast meanwhile slouched forward some more. Picking a victim at random she bit at the last remaining human who had recently struck at Jo. It grabbed the woman about the waist with her strong jaw, and the razorsharp teeth dug through the innards and broke the spine to cut the screaming woman in two before both pieces fell to the floor.

"Arrow ready," shouted Nkasa.

"Dart ready," croaked Wahka the Bullywug.

Silently Sheedi had started to fiddle with another poisoned dart to add it to the magazine that sat atop his repeating crossbow, evidently far from ready again since he had opted to save Mali.

Going further the beast had set its eyes on Jo'Seph, looking to bite at the Fencer.


OOCAll humans are dead, so it's all about the monster now. Jo is in melee range while Atale and beyond would require a move on the monsters part.

Jo'Seph receives 2 HP damage. I was giving Jo a bit of a pass here as well. With the failed defensive rolls and incomplete post he could have been toast completely.

Absolute final warning though (so read the following very carefully): A combat post spans two rounds. Both rounds require two defensive rolls of a mode of your choice, just in case. Even if there is only one enemy, there are things like double attacks or hidden foes or environmental dangers. This is in addition to your attacks or whatever other roll needed. Therefore the bare minimum of rolls is four. There is no three roll combat post. I made this clearer in the combat demo where I had written it down sloppily - but we've had enough hands on examples of this during gameplay.

Additionally all dice needs to have some sort of label in the tag. Yoshimi is doing this adequatly, marking them as attack or defense and then clarifying further below. Some Gms might not like this either because then the mode of defense might be sneakily changed after the result is known (say you saw it was not enough and added the "retreating" to it), but since I can see all versions of a post this is not a concern of mine. I will count every roll that just says "roll just in case" without any sort of purpose as no roll at all. It takes as much time to write "additional parry/dodge etc".

This is labelled in its tag:
Dice PCs attack:
3d6 2, 4, 6 Total = 12


This is not:
Dice Roll:
3d6 6, 5, 2 Total = 13

some attack

Just in case it's not clear what I mean with in label tagging. It's just sloppy and does not look that great. Also putting rolls into spoilertags is another aesthetic courtesy on that front, something Yoshimi is doing anyway.

The important takeaway is that if you do not give me actions for both rounds, your character will do absolutely nothing the second round. No full defense, no defense at all. Just nothing. And enemies will be aware of this complete zoning out and will target you.

Last edited by Phettberg; Nov 24th, 2019 at 11:20 AM.
  #98  
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Not being able to take many more hits, Atale decides to let the archers have the clearest shot possible. She runs to behind Yalar's position in the side tunnel and turns with her spear ready. If the monster isn't killed by the arrow volley and moves within range, in the second round she will throw her spear at the monster, then attempt to dodge away from any counterattack.

 


Stats
HP 10
  #99  
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 08:36 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'seph continues to focus on defense...
Dice Roll:
3d6 6, 1, 3 Total = 10
parry check round 1
Dice Roll:
3d6 2, 3, 6 Total = 11
additional check if attacked again
For the second round, he will probably remain defensive unless the creature suddenly leaves itself open
Dice Roll:
3d6 6, 6, 5 Total = 17
parry check round 2
Dice Roll:
3d6 1, 5, 6 Total = 12
additional check for environmental obstacles if needed
((I'm sorry if I have not been giving you enough parry checks. Part of the issue for my last post was that I thought I would have to spend 1 of the 2 rounds standing up, so I didn't think I would get a second roll for that round.))

Last edited by Ericg1s; Nov 24th, 2019 at 08:36 PM.
  #100  
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
OOC: Jo, DM wants us to tag our dice rolls. Use the dice symbol with the plus sign, it lets you label the dice roll.
  #101  
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 06:15 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
((I'm sorry-I have a lot of trouble with some of these tools.))

Dice possible attack:
3d6 6, 5, 5 Total = 16


Here is a roll in case an opening occurs to attack.

I think I omitted the roll the first time by mistake.

Last edited by Ericg1s; Nov 25th, 2019 at 06:17 PM.
  #102  
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 09:59 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Combat Round 8 & 9Atale quickly moved out of the way of the hulking beast that was pushing itself forward through the tunnel to lunge at Jo'Seph at the highest speed it could muster. When the gigantic skull of the insectoid beast swung at him the To'Ari in turn tried to deflect the cow-sized mass of mandibles and razorsharp-teeth with his fine fencing blade. On contact with the chitinous plates on the face of the monster the weapon shattered into pieces, though the beast was deflected off to one side and roared with annoyance at seeing its food fight back.

Nkasa and Wahka sent arrow and dart flying from where they kneeled behind the stunned Mali. The arrow bounced off an armoured leg to disappear in the darkness of the tunnel beyond, while the dart stuck somewhere above where other creatures might have had a collarbone. The monster flinched lightly, though did not make any sound of pain, putting into question whether the projectile had truly punctured into the flesh.

Jo'Seph, now finding himself unarmed, had nothing to attack the beast with anymore. Atale let loose a spear that even though it was aimed at the centre mass of the oversized insect the spear broke through the chitinous plates to puncture the back of the monster, which bellowed a high pitched shriek - apparently feeling this wound quite well.

It had unbalanced it too, since when it snapped a second time at the To'Ari fencer its aim was shaky, missing him by half a foot or so.

For the first second Yalar had remained where he was standing, gazing at the whole scene in shock. Though seeing that Jo'Seph was unable or refused to move he winced and jumped forward to swing his long curved blade at the underside of the gargantuam insect that was blocking the tunnel. The beast batted his weapon aside.

"Reloading," shouted both the dark-skinned human and their resident bullywug at the same time.

"I... I'm almost there," stuttered Sheedi as he turned the mechanism on his repeating crossbow to push another bolt into the chamber. He was sweating profusely, but it seemed like he would be able to fire soon enough regardless.

The beast had only few targets in the immediate vicinity, so was preparing to claw or bite at Jo'Seph again.


OOCSo this might come as a shock, but we're more or less using all the rules, including heavy weapon parrying (page 376 gurps campaign). I feel like I have mentioned this before, but I can't say for certain. In this instance it seems like not so much of a stretch that a light blade would not have an easy time at trying to redirect the head of an enormous monster, so there's that.

In any case, the quick rundown is that trying to deflect a weapon (or in this case the head of a monster) that is three times as heavy or heavier as the weapon you are wielding might result in breakage, for which I rolled over here. So sorry to say, but Jo'Sephs weapon is no more. In certain situations one has to dodge instead of parry or block.

But on the other hand there is a broadsword and a dagger lying on the floor nearby, an axe around the corner with Bucket, and polearms spread around the tunnels galore.

Also just as a reminder: You can combine every action with at least a step. Jo'Seph was just defending (there was no specific all-out-defense option mentioned), so he could have moved away at full speed. I have given you a lot of resources to see which combat maneuvres exist and how much one can move when using them, so this is not a secret.

To make it a little clearer as well what the archers will or can do - Nkasa and Wahka will spend the entire next post reloading, but Sheedi will get a shot out.

Updated Map:
 
  #103  
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 09:05 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'seph dodged backwards, yielding ground slowly to avoid the beast's attack. He makes no attempt to attack, focused only on dodging and keeping the beast occupied while his allies work into position.
Dice retreating dodge round 1:
3d6 4, 5, 3 Total = 12

Dice additional dodge round 1:
3d6 1, 5, 2 Total = 8

Dice retreating dodge round 2:
3d6 6, 4, 3 Total = 13

Dice additional dodge round 2:
3d6 6, 2, 4 Total = 12

Dice additional roll if needed:
3d6 5, 4, 5 Total = 14
  #104  
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 09:15 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale cries out, "Do not risk yourself, let the poison work! Fall back and defend the archers!"

She runs to the side of Mali and kneels over her, prying the stricken warrior's mace from her hands. She holds the unfamiliar weapon as best she can and stands defensively, awaiting the approach of the beast.

 


Stats
HP 10

Last edited by Yoshimi; Dec 1st, 2019 at 08:16 PM.
  #105  
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 12:24 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
Combat Round 10 & 11The beast continued its onslaught on spindly and spiked legs. Even though the tunnel widened going south it was moving slower than before, showing signs of fatigue or the poison working. Both Yalar and Jo'Seph had no choice but to retreat as they tried to dodge away from the claws and the vicious bite of the insectoid brute.

Jo almost did not make it, avoiding being shredded to nothing by a hairs width. Yalar was not targeted specifically, but stepped backwards all the same as he tried to get a strike in. He was unable to hit the softer underbelly though, and the sword did not seem to penetrate the blue shiny scales of the monster.

Atale covered the space to Mali in the same time it took the beast to step forward two or three yards.

The monster shuffled on. A second strike by Yalar was aimed better, but the beast redirected the metal with a claw without any harm to itself. Thought it got its attention, and as it struck back the Uxian fighter could not avoid the wide sweep of the spiked limb, which cut through his armor and across his chest.

Atale meanwhile had picked up the immensely large mace that Mali had been wielding. It might have looked comical, but the golem was much stronger than most warriors. The Rak'ari herself had shuffled back a few paces on the floor, giving Sheedi her shoulder to brace his crossbow on.

The Uxian crossbowman wiped some sweat out of his eyes with a forearm and seemed to wince before letting the bolt loose. There was no real chance of actually missing the monster completely with it being gargantuam and about only five paces away, but where the projectile would land would make all the difference. It struck it square in the jaw, puncturing what passed for a cheek and breaking off a few of the deadly teeth in the process.

It enraged the beast like nothing before, a hot scream flattering purplish blood over the tunnel walls and heating up the air to near unbearable levels, though it might not have been the best way to administer the poison. While it reeled on the spot it seemed like there was still some fight in it, at least enough to try and take somebody with it. It prepared to spasmodically swing its claws in a wide arc in front of it, endagering both Yalar and Jo'Seph, though it seemed to forget about keeping itself safe while doing so.


OOC@Ericg1s I've been alluding to this a few times, but now I wanted to make it clearer: Saying a character focuses on defense is not specific enough, since there are at least two ways of going on an all-out-defense (see the maneuvres chart). If it's not specified I could also take it like a "do nothing" maneuvre where you also defend (contrary to doing nothing from a stun, for example). For your sake I didn't assume this that time, instead going forward as if Jo'seph was going on an increased dodge all out defense. Since he is reeling (and his dodge is therefore reduced) he would have otherwise been hit and possibly fallen unconscious (or worse, depending). I'm not in the habit of actively trying to kill player characters, far from it actually, but if they do not take all the steps to assure they don't get offed it makes it seem like staying alive is not a big priority on your part. Eventually I'll stop interpreting everything that's vague or unspoken favourably, because you have all the tools to succeed even if you don't have a single gurps book. I also believe your character has 25 unspent points - so there's that too.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB