Game Thread Chapter 5: Shifting Tides - Page 8 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos > Archive #2 - Book One: Ships from the North
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #106  
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 07:57 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph tries to avoid the claws by dodging out of the way. He will also try to retreat away from his allies if possible so as to make it more difficult for the creature to attack multiple characters at once. He will also put additional effort into the dodge.
Dodge 1: (focused total defense to both dodge and retreat if possible.)
Dice dodge roll +1 point for feverish:
3d6 2, 3, 2 Total = 7

Dodge 2 (still first round)
Dice retreat roll if possible:
3d6 2, 6, 2 Total = 10

Dodge 3 (Second round, still focused on total defense to both dodge and retreat.)
Dice dodge roll +1 point for feverish:
3d6 1, 6, 1 Total = 8

Dodge 4 (second round)
Dice retreat roll if possible:
3d6 3, 6, 3 Total = 12

Additional roll (if needed for balance while dodging wildly around in uneven, cramped conditions)
Dice balance roll:
3d6 5, 1, 5 Total = 11


((I tried to figure out the maneuver chart. I'm, sorry that I have difficulty with a rules set slightly different than the one in my books.))

Last edited by Ericg1s; Dec 3rd, 2019 at 07:58 AM.
  #107  
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 08:33 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale shouts, "Fall back to safety, I believe it's in its death throes!"

She drops the mace and tries to help haul Mali back down the tunnel away from the serpent. If the archers are loaded she encourages them to retreat first, then fire in the second round if needed.

 


Stats
Hp 10

Last edited by Yoshimi; Dec 3rd, 2019 at 08:34 AM.
  #108  
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 08:48 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
BreakdownThe beast swiped its jagged claw in a wide arc in front of it. While Jo'Seph was quick enough to avoid the razorsharp tips of the limb Yalar wasn't so lucky. The nail of the insectoid three pronged foot ripped into his thick neck and chest, almost taking the entire head off. He fell down on one side to rest unmoving on the cold stone floorr, where his blood quickly pooled into a dark puddle.

The monster reared as if in celebration, flexing its limbs against the walls of the tunnel and screaming upwards at the ceiling. Nkasa and Wahka unloaded their respective weapons wordlessly as the beast more or less offered up its underbelly, although it was unsure whether it made a difference at this point. The beast continued to jerk spasmodically back and forth, slamming into the walls and ceiling to send a shake through the earth. Again there were bits of rubble falling down from the ceiling, but nowhere near as many as to threaten to block the passage.

When the back of the insect could not bend backwards anymore against the top of the tunnel it eventually relaxed, falling forward onto its belly and exhaling a last breath of fuming hot and stinking air. When this blast of heat was through the squad felt something very different for a change, a short breeze of colder air coming from further down the tunnel behind where the beast lay.

And then the cave grew silent. Nkasa, the black skinned human, strapped her bow away without a word and ripped produced some cloth to try and stem the flow of blood from the many wounds Mali had sustained. The Rak'Ari seemed stunned and breathed heavily, though from knowing her stamina was more likely to live than not.

"Bucket?" Sheedi had stepped forward, careful not to get too close to the fallen beast or to look at the dead form of Yalar. As he had come to the left turn he saw Bucket where the human was sitting on the floor, his back to the cold wall. The stout man raised a hand very slowly as an indication he had heard, though he seemed beaten and feverish.

"Wahka will check our rear," said the albino Bullywug as she raised her dark hood again. To cover her own clammy white skin was a necessity for stealth in almost all environments. "See if there is way out, or if human at our back."


OOCI used Jo's dodge checks to avoid some of the falling rocks, but I will need on for Atale as well (I'll give you a normal one even though she had plannet to move Mali back - as it is the beast did not advance any further anyway).

Mali is getting first aid applied to herself by Nkasa, but in case Bucket hasn't had any he is still bleeding out. I'll check again in a bit but as far as I can tell nobody really took care of it before.

There is the suggestion that after the beast shook the tunnel ahead connects to the outside world now. Though it could be anything as small as a fist sized hole, so might be good to bring anything that could be used as a tool - like the scattered weapons here or the actual shovels that were used in the circular room further back (though that's assuming there aren't humans right behind you that have been called from outside).

And even though it might be unnecessary here is the final after combat map. The monster can be walked past, though you have to more or less climb over and under it a little bit. I just visualised it this way here.

 
  #109  
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 05:30 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"Can bucket still be saved?"
Jo'Seph takes a spear and glances around...They need to move quickly....
Additional rolls if needed:
Dice Roll:
3d6 3, 5, 6 Total = 14

Dice Roll:
3d6 4, 3, 3 Total = 10
  #110  
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 10:38 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
The little golem pulls her spear free of the serpent and gathers up her net. Then she pads over to Bucket.

"I do not know, he is losing a lot of blood. Have we any healers among us?" She tries to bandage the warrior's wounds as best she can, with whatever rags she can find or cut free of Bucket's clothin.

"I myself will not be able to survive another battle without being patched up. I must get to a safe place."

Stats
HP = 8

Last edited by Yoshimi; Dec 6th, 2019 at 10:39 PM.
  #111  
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 02:13 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
A cave underneath Bura"Just press some cloth against the wounds," shouted Nkasa just as she was doing much the same to Mali, who was already looking much more stable even though she remained sitting on the floor. Atale was pretty much in the process of attempting this anyway, and while Bucket seemed near death he helped her by applying pressure on some of the rolls of cloth himself - he had sustained a good amount of wounds after all. As for rags there was no shortage of them, considering there were many sprawling dead around. Even if there hadn't been, and in fact taking their clothes might be ill advised considering some had died from the poison, nobody needed all of their clothes in the scorching hot tunnel they were in.

After a few minutes Bucket seemed as stable as he would get, breathing slow low breaths. His face was glistening with sweat and his eyes were barely open, so it seemed out of the question for him to walk unaided. Since he was a massive brute it might take more than one person too. Mali had risen to her feet in the meantime, shuffling about slowly and unsteadily.

Wahka returned silently and suddenly. She was visibly agitated and immediately started to relay what she had seen down the tunnel: "Humans back there, come from outside. Armed, dozens. Not sure if they looking for us or taking shelter from fight outside, but they moving our way. We need to be going somewhere."

The albino bullywug turned her head and looked over at the slain monster out of a protruding eye. "Could hide behind that beast. Draft says there might even be a way out now. Take a pike or two, try to shovel a way out if we have to."

She picked up one of the halberds that the humans had dropped and moved in the direction of the dead monster, avoiding Yalars fresh corpse.

"Damn." Nkasa blurted it out and looked down the sidetunnel at Bucket. "Might need help moving the big guy. Too many people dying already today."

This also confirmed what Atale and Jo'Seph might have already feared: That all those that weren't here now had either been buried or died some other way in the tunnel south. Gao, Acorn, Asef, Raaz, Pataya... but there was no time to dwell on it.


OOCWe are out of combat, so I don't need rolls every post. As it is I never need rolls that have not even a remotely defined purpose.

Actually I would have needed a roll for Atale since she was attempting something, but since there wasn't one I just rolled it myself. I'm assuming she took extra time, so a seven made it.
  #112  
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph will take a position at the front with a spear and try to lead the group out. He will head past the dead beast and the way it came from.
"Let me know if you need help moving anyone. If not, I'll try to take point."
  #113  
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 12:22 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
"Someone give me a hand with him!"

Atale can readily carry over 350 pounds on her own but the large warrior is awkwardly shaped so she gratefully accepts assistance toting him toward the source of fresh air.
  #114  
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 08:14 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
A cave underneath BuraNkasa came to Atales aid in supporting the heavy human while Wahka was staying near Mali in case the Rak'Ari fainted at more exertion, making sure the veteran warrior did not feel like she was being nannied at the same time. The first step was pushing past the huge body of the beast that was a mixture between a snake and an insect. Luckily the corpse was in the process of deflating as hot gasses still bubbled out of the open mouth of the thing, sometimes making it almost appear as if it was alive still. Though if there was any doubt a stab to the eye or the soft underbelly confirmed that it was indeed expired for good.

After squeezing past the tunnel opened up again somewhat, though from the death throes of the monster it was still littered with chunks of debris. Knowing that human warriors were somewhere at their back probably making their way in this direction the squad tried to hurry as best they could with almost everybody wounded to some degree.

The cave got smaller the deeper one went into it, curving upwards first lightly and then sloping at almost 45 degrees. A small amount of colder air was still whistling into the tunnel, giving everybody the hope that there would be an exit. But so far there was no light to be seen but from borrowed torches.

After about fifty yards the ceiling was so low that the tallest out of the group had to stoop down a little. Luckily the head of the beast the humans had brought down from the north was larger than Atale was tall, so when the tunnel was at its narrowest point she could still walk normally where others had to pause and get on their hands and knees. The wounded were put on the floor here, since it was decided they could make the journey once it was clear that there was an actual opening.

This narrow bit of the tunnel went on for two yards, about the length of the neck of the beast, and then curved upwards vertically. Already from outside there was a small ray of light visible dropping down from there, and when Atale walked in she could see that there was a hole a little larger than a fist in the ceiling. This was between what she could see where cobblestones, making it very likely that it was a location in Bura, but whether it was a backalley or a market square was unclear. There were some sounds coming in from above, including faint voices that were hard to make out, but it appeared nobody was aware of this small hole leading down into the underground.


OOCSecond reminder: Jo'Seph has 17 character points free. Where do they go? Even if you bump up Rapier even more (say 8 points) you could activate a few new skills or improve on old ones. Say some weapon width might be good: one or two points in knives or shortsword and you could have a sidearm that's inconspicious to carry around. Those two skills default to each other whereas Rapier does not default to either (!).

Or, since you found out not everything should be parried the hard way, you might want to pick up a block skill. Shield or cloak both serve the same function, so depends on style what you might want.

Then you still have points to bump up the stuff you found out you might need to be better at and that you used (stealth, first aid).

My suggestion would therefore be:
Rapier +2 (8)
Knife +2 (2)
Cloak +2 (2)
First Aid +1 (1)
Stealth +1 (1)

And HP +1 (2) for good measure, leaving a single free point for when you want to activate another skill later.

Also a big note - bumping Rapier above 18 is still valuable, but you will need to actually utilise the points above 18 (which is a 99% chance of suceeding). For example targeting different body parts, feinting, all those things that might have a penalty (offset by superior skill) or are a contested roll. And of course it will bump your parry score, and give you a higher skill level in defaulting skills (broadsword for example).

To replace your Jian will not be easy by the way, because of the low technology level of the setting. There are broadsword versions of the weapon, but to make it so finely that it is a fencing weapon requires much more skill. I'll tie the search for a new weapon in with the story, but for the time being it is very likely that you will get a weapon that is wielded with broadsword (which you have at -4 rapier skill, another reason to bump this up higher).
  #115  
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
Atale stares grimly at the opening and turns to the party, calling back, "Our victory is hollow. The city is breached from below, after all. We must alert the defense. If onlly we could collapse the tunnel behind us!"

She tries to determine if she can widen the opening for herself.
  #116  
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
"I'll sound the alarm. The tunnel is narrow enough that they can't send people through in force, so the defenders can probably hold it."
Jo'Seph tries to climb out of thie hole. If he is able to do this, he will then begin crying out as he walks around, looking for the main street...
"ALERT! ALERT!"
  #117  
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 09:01 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
A cave underneath Bura"Use this spear," Wahka said from the back of the group, misnaming the polearm she had brought with them. "You can loosen stones and give them back. We dispose behind us."

As Jo'Seph tried to alarm those up above by shouting the weapon was handed forward to Atale, where she could use it to leverage against the bare earth and flagstones. It was slow work, seemingly taking minutes to even break a single brick out of the earth. One by one stones were handed back through the line to be dumped beyond where the wounded were resting and waiting.

"We might soon get you through," said Nkasa the human mercenary, looking at Atale. "But there needs to be more digging before one can pull someone as large as Bucket up this hole. He can't crawl himself."

In fact after a bit more work there was now a hole of about the size of a cantaloupe in the ceiling, just barely to narrow for Atale to squeeze through. It would take a few more minutes until she could pass through it, or about fifteen to make it wide enough for Jo'Seph to ascend.

There was a strange absence of sound behind them. The humans that Wahka had spotted might have paused, unaware of the situation further down the tunnel. Or they were preparing a more orderly assault. From the hole in the ceiling one could only hear the very faint sounds of the battle in the distance.


OOCThere are a few choices to make here: Whether to continue shouting or not, possibly drawing the humans from behind. Whether to make the hole a little wider quickly so Atale can get through, but Jo'Seph can't, or to take a little longer and make it wide enough for the two of them (and some of the npcs as well) etc.
  #118  
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 09:16 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,853
"Keep quiet, and set up a defense at the tunnel mouth. We don't want to alert the enemy or create a panic in the city. If you help me to squeeze through, I will try to find someone in charge of Bura's defenses. We'll come back and get the rest of you out."

She enlists aid in opening the hole just enough to squeeze through.
  #119  
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 06:41 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,056
Jo'Seph will take a moment to widen the hole slightly, so that his friends can get through. He will then take a defensive position with the spear...
"Just get out. We'll keep working here."

Last edited by Ericg1s; Dec 20th, 2019 at 06:45 PM.
  #120  
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 08:24 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 16th, 2021
RPXP: 18295
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,423
AboveHaving only been in the city once before and only for a little while Atale did not immediately know where she was after she lifted herself out of the ground. It looked like a residential area, with houses to either side blocking the view of the towns walls, but there were no people about on the streets. Since they had been put up in the Bloody shield near the north wall, and later visited the town hall in the east and a warehouse in the southeast it seemed likely that she was somewhere in the western parts, the ones she hadn't seen at all during her earlier stay.

Up above the earth she could definitely hear some shouting from not too far away, not all of which sounded like it was fueled by terror.

The Golem picked a street at random, and soon found herself at what had been the main square of the small town. She could identify this by the tall uxian pillar that was set up in the middle, but apart from this it looked quite differently. Tents were standing where formerly there had been open space, next to which there was Cattle locked in a makeshift enclosures. The air here smelt of death and sickness. In front of the two big temples Atale saw a couple of guards standing abou in dirty and rundown uniforms, and she made for them.

"Ey, what're you," blurted one of the soldiers out as she approached.

"I seen you before the siege," said another. "Going in the town hall. You seen the battle? We're stuck here, can't even watch."

After Atale had informed them of the tunnel they called over some of the soliders from further away or those that had been guarding the other of the two temples. "Tunnel? We'll come and get your mates out of there. The way I reckon, unless the humes got a second army hidden away they won't be storming through there anytime soon."

And truly the Golem had to rush the men and women over, since they themselves seemed more inclined to walk at a leisurely pace. "The Dimi army swarmed out of the woods right," one of the Soldiers explained. "You know if you was there. So battle is met, but we sees that it'll be a close one. What men we have they run out to pinch them inbetween. Battle is still going, but last I heard it wasn't looking good for them, but better for us. Out at sea is a different story, but there's hard fighting."


BelowThose left in the tunnels hunkered down. Nkasa and Wahka remained crouched next to the wounded, padding sweaty brows and handing over water, while Sheedi and Jo'Seph had their weapons pointed into the dark of the tunnel. Sheedi was shaking so much it seemed unlikely he could hit the broad side of a barn right now, but even after a few minutes there was little sound nor light. The torches the squad had brought were close to the exit, so they would not betray themselves through the flame.

Concentrating hard one could hear talk in the distance, the sound of footfalls. But it was hardly the sound of an army moving through the caves, and there would have hardly been enough space to easily march one into here. Without the beasts to lead a charge a tiny tunnel was not much of an entry point into the town, and then again the squad had been there when the human army was about to be engaged from either side. It seemed likely that only a few men had been able to heed the call of the surprised humans in the tunnels, with the rest too busy.

"Any monsters down there," came a shout from above, sounding all the louder for the absolute silence that had preceded it. "We'll widen this hole a bit, get you out."

The five or six soldiers that had come with Atale started knocking on the flagstones around the crack in the ground, pulling them out one by one until they could work the bare earth. Inside the squad still had to get the debris out of the way, but after ten more minutes the guards could drop a rope down which could be tied around the wounded. With the aid of this sling pulling on one side and somebody else pushing on the other Bucket could be brought into the light. At that point Mali was feeling well enough to crawl most of the way herself, though she had to be pulled out at the mouth of the tunnel.

When everybody had exited the tunnel the guards took it upon themselves to plug it provisionally, breaking into nearby houses to dump chairs and other small furniture down into the dark.

"That'll do it in a pinch," the soldiers concluded. "You take your wounded to the square, there's doctors in the tents. Then all ye can do is climb the wall and watch the action until it's all done one way or the other."
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB