Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 03:41 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23415
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Meet the Judges!

This thread is for each of the main judges for this year's competition to introduce themselves and share a little about what they think the ideal submission would look like. All contestants are recommended to read this thread carefully, and note down what their judges are looking for, and how they will score you. As per the last few years, there is a 'judging guideline' to help make the judgments not too surprising, create more consistency between them, and help lessen the work for those judging!

Think you have what it takes to help with judging the competition? PM me, and we'll talk about it

Last edited by Inem; 09-29-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 PM
This space for rent

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9911
Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne
Oh man how did I get roped into this again? I mean yeah, super glad to be here... Inem is certainly not holding my first born hostage until I'm done rendering judgement on all your hard work.

I'm assuming if you're in this to win it then you've done your research and looked at past years entries. What I'm looking for is simple. Can I run your module with the information you've provided me and is it easy for me to read. There's a scorecard, but the numbers are arbitrary. I've found with judging this over the past few years that to me there is usually a clear and obvious winning entry. Sometimes there are a few solid choices and I have to get nitpicky with the scorecard.

If you're looking for inspiration check out the entries from the individual who's won the last three years running. It's pretty obvious why they keep winning.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19672
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Bhelogan here! Iron DM again, and here we are getting the stage set for another glorious competition. Inem is out, so we need to crown a new champion! What does an Ideal submission look like? I'll give you a few pointers:
  • It has to be clear, and easy to read. If I get confused, I'm likely to skip over parts. That isn't good for you.
  • It has to be engaging. I also don't have a very long attention span. As a DM I need to be excited about potentially running this.
  • It has to be fun for the players. If they wouldn't enjoy playing in it, little else matters.
  • It has to be complete. Don't leave gaping holes for me to fill in.
My general advice would be, focus on quality vs quantity. I would rather see a few ideas fleshed out well, then straws grasping at everything and trying to hastily glue it together.

Ingredients are going to mater. A lot. But, if they feel forced into the plot, rather than part of it, everyone will notice.

Lastly, brace yourself for some rejection. At the end of the day, only one person is going to win. You are going to get some criticism of your work. Nobody likes being told that their baby is ugly, but... you know what? There are actually a lot of ugly babies out there. Some of them yours. Don't take it personally. Emotionally detach yourself from your work, once it is done, and try to view it from a 3rd party perspective. You will get more out of the event if you can do that, and it will help keep the environment friendlier between competitor and judge.

Good Luck Everyone!

Last edited by Bhelogan; 09-24-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:05 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34849
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
And I’m back as the judge of another competition.

OK, here is what I want to see.

* A well written adventure, something that bridges story and adventure.
* It needs to be something I would want to play in
* It needs to be really easy, something that even a simpleton like me can understand.
* And the most important part is how you use the secret ingredients. What I normally do is read through and adventure before I read the secret ingredients — and try to pick them out. If they are relevant and prevalent to your adventure, couldn’t be easily replaced with something else and I can’t figure out what it is, then you have done a good job.

Note - alternate meanings for words are not only allowed, they are encouraged. For example, you could have an angry badger as an ingredient — and you could make a grumpy bureaucrat that makes you a deputy.

Have fun, but more importantly, ENTERTAIN ME!

Last edited by Squeak; 09-28-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:53 AM
Big Piggy Pig Big Pig!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28900
PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG
THE JUDGE

Standing above the legions of the crowd:

"The evidence before the court is
Incontrovertible, there's no need for
The jury to retire
In all my years of judging
I have never heard before
Of someone more deserving
Of the full penalty of law!!!!!!!!!!!"

Don't break the law! Make sure to include the following:

- Structured Game Play
- Correct Grammar and Spelling
- Creativity
- and most important of all... the Ingredients

Hello guys, PIG here.

I've had a few turns in Iron DM some years back, I even nearly made it to the final round. Alas my competition was just too good for me to prevail. But despite that it was always a blast and such a great experience in playing for Iron DM. This competition is good practice for DMing your future games, gaming in general, and creative thinking overall.

Just like the Japanese reality show from what this is based on, the ingredients are the core you should strive for. I think this concept should be introduced to other avenues of exploring creative thinking, to take something you might like/ignore/dislike and make something more of it. To breath life into it that was never conceptually there before you took it's hand. That's creativity to me. To make something from nothing and make it matter to everyone.

I look forward to reading your ventures and encourage you to do your best.

But (most importantly) just have fun with it all. Having fun is essential to true success.

- Game On

Last edited by PIG; 09-29-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:13 PM
Mysterious Teenager

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29318
Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior
Good evening - or whichever particular time of the day it happens to be in your area - everybody. It's been several years since I last stepped foot into this arena and took up the mantle of judge, but it looks like I've somehow let myself be dragged out of a comfortable retirement once again.

The metric by which your entries will be judged has already been made public so I will not waste words rehashing what we both already know. If you have not looked it over, I suggest you do so. I also suggest taking a look at some of the victorious entries from previous competitions to give you an idea of the sort of thing to expect. More than any other advice I might give, I recommend paying close attention to the ingredients. It won't matter if your adventure is the most exciting, original masterpiece anyone has ever seen if you don't use the ingredients you've been given. And I'm not talking token cameos either.

I consider myself a fair man. If your entry is deserving of praise, then you will receive it, but you will find me a hard man to impress. Many years ago, I myself stood where you are all standing now. I know well the challenges that await you. Good luck. I believe you will need it.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:02 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 53450
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
I was told there would be free food?

No?

Dammit, Inem.

I'm Sassafrass, a ne'er-do-well and second-time judge of this here contest, who is here for the express purpose of making sure Inem cannot win.

Inem is running the show this time and automatically barred from winning?

... why did I agree to this?

I like things. Particular things. Some general ones, too. I like a clear theme or goal in the adventure. I like things spelled out clearly, yet with enough room for DMs to adapt, change, and flex their occipital buns if they have them. I like it when someone takes a trope and makes it both recognizable yet refreshing, and original yet relatable. I like it when people press my buttons. I like it when expectations get changed around. I like a game that can be taken and made either zany or serious in the hands of whoever is running it.

Last year I was fairly generous. This year I need more sleep. Who knows?

Someone just help me make sure Inem isn't going to win. I don't trust him.