RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3972
HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand
One Shot Across The Galaxy

Game NameOne Shot Across The Galaxy
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeSci-Fi Space Exploration and Adventure
FlavourRandomly determined Star-Trek-esque absurdity
Plot Summary

You are the crew of the interstellar scout ship Raptor. Your mission is to explore uncharted regions of space, deal with aliens both friendly and deadly, and defend the Consortium worlds against space dangers.

Captain Darcy has been overcome by the strange psychic entity known as SOMETHING ELSE, leaving you to fend for yourselves while he recovers in a medical pod.

Intro to the SystemSo begins each game of Lasers & Feelings, a rules-light phaser-blasting heart-pumping hyphen-exploding one-shot roleplaying game from onesevendesign (link to rules). This is meant to be a fast, friendly, and relatively absurd dive into a spacetime adventure where we explore the wonders of the galaxy and the depths of human (and non-human) emotion.

The full rules to the game (available as a one page pdf form at the link above) are very simple, everyone who wishes to play is required to read them. Please check them out first to see if this is the kind of game you are into.

About This Game In Particular and ExpectationsFor this game, I am looking for a small group of 4-6 spacefarers who are looking to share a short, complete story together from start to finish. I think many of us can agree that (sadly) it's a relatively rare occasion when a PbP game runs to a solid conclusion rather than dying a slow, cold, non-unlike-the-inevitable-heat-death-of-the-universe demise. I've played this twice in RL. A full game runs about an hour or two. I've never played it in PbP and I have no idea how this will go or how long it will take, but I imagine maybe a month or two depending on posting rate and how fast the story progresses. Furthermore, I'm not certain how the system will translate to PbP, so please bear that in mind as you are considering joining the game.

I am planning on posting at least once every two weekdays, potentially more or less on weekends, and would like approximately the same from the players. No more than once a day though, to give other players have a chance to play a role in whatever scene is going on.

Character Creation and ApplicationsCreating a character is simple.

1) Choose a Style: Alien, Android, Dangerous, Hot-Shot, Intrepid, Savvy, or Sexy.

2) Choose a Role: Doctor, Envoy, Engineer, Explorer, Pilot, Scientist, or Soldier.

Will you be a Hot-Shot Explorer? A Savvy Soldier? An Android Envoy?

But your character isn't just a theme and a role, they are also a complex interplay between Lasers and Feelings.

3) Choose a number between 2 (better at Feelings) and 5 (better at Lasers) representing your character's place along this continuum. Will you be skilled in diplomacy, seduction, and wild, passionate action? Or will you apply your cold rationality and calm precision to save your crew-mates from their own passionate excesses?

4) Choose a cool space adventure name. The rules give "Sparks McGee" as a suggestion. That should also tell you something about the general tone of the game.

5) All players have the same goal: "Get your character involved in crazy space adventures and try to make the best of them." But in addition to this, choose your character's goal (choose one or create your own): Become Captain, Meet Sexy Aliens, Shoot Bad Guys, Find New Worlds, Solve Weird Space Mysteries, Prove Yourself, or Keep Being Awesome (you have nothing to prove).

6) In addition to all this, please provide a short role-play sample of some interaction your character has had on the ship (or a formative experience on their way to becoming part of the crew of the Raptor). The goal is to get a sense of your character's personality. Maximum three paragraphs (less is okay).

I'm not sure how much interest there will be in this game, so for the moment I will not set a deadline for applications. I may revise this if there is a lot of interest.

Engage!

Last edited by HughtheHand; 10-25-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:42 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5224
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Sooooo interested. App coming soon

"He looked to the Kender for wisdom. If there was one thing she was good for, it was pearls of wisdom. Wisdom buried beneath twelve hours of stories about obscure relatives."
-Imveros
Old 10-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
Exfilia Exfilia
Sounds like tremendous fun.
DescriptionSyris Clance is a hot-shot scientist who seriously needs to get tenure at the galaxy class University where she teaches, but this requires an exceptional publication history in the scientific literature. Syris has taken an extended leave of absence and joined Raptor's crew to find things to write about. She has the impression that the University really doesn't care if she ever comes back. On the Emotech continuum, she's probably a 4.

Overlong roleplay sample--sorrySyris checked her outfit in the mirror. Usually she just wore a jumpsuit and a lab coat, but today she was trying to be impressive. Her sister's royal blue court suit--Cyllen was an attorney--the suit fit Syris perfectly, but she still tugged at it and patted her hair in the ladies' room mirror.

"Something important today?" said a woman in stained coveralls with blond hair escaping every which way from a bun.

"Trying to get embedded as science officer on a starship."

"Why?" the woman asked.

"I want to see what's out there, to find strange phenomena and... you know, have a blast with them. There's too many uptight people on Earth."

The woman smiled.

"Syris Clance?" she asked.

"Why, yes," Syris answered. "How did you know?"

"You're the only scientist interviewing today." The woman held out her hand. "I'm Amanda Darcy," she said, "and you've got the job."

Last edited by Exfilia; 11-06-2019 at 07:17 PM. Reason: cuz the horizontal rules didn't work.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:10 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand
I like it. But sadly you must choose an integer between 2 and 5, no decimals in space.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:06 AM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3400
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Pretty much swamped in games already but I wish you the best! Heard good things about this system, though never had the chance to play/run this myself.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:52 AM
Amateur Magizoologist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 787
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Helena Handbasket, Sexy Pilot, reporting for duty! Her number is 5, but don't let that fool you, there's plenty of feelings underneath that form-fitting uniform!

Her goal is to Prove Herself, because as a young pilot at the Academy, she wrecked a shuttle with an Admiral and his Daughter on board. It wasn't her fault, and the investigation proved that, but in the Court of Public Opinion it was way too little and way too late.

Fortunately, the officer in charge of the investigation was none other than Captain Darcy, on dockside rotation while the Raptor underwent a major overhaul.

We now join our roleplaying sample in progress...

Lt. Helena Handbasket was staring at the wall of the quarters she was confined to, when her comms lit up. She had positioned the communicator and her deactivated pistol on the adjustable table in front of her, precisely where the throttle and pitch would be on a shuttle, just to help her visualize flying. It was as close as she could get to the real thing, and when the comm lit up, for just a nanosecond she almost believed the thrusters were responding. And then she saw Captain Darcy's face. The face of the officer who would decide her fate. "Handbasket here."

"Lieutenant," said the Captain. "Our investigation revealed that there was a series of explosions in the lateral thrusters, which would have caused a cascade reaction and destroyed the shuttle but for your heroic efforts. By sideswiping the station, you put a stop to the reaction and saved the Admiral and his daughter. I've persuaded him to assign you to my ship as a reward."

Helena wasn't going to pretend that she had known about the explosions - she just knew something was wrong on the starboard side and felt like the shuttle needed a good smack to remind it who was boss. When you fly by the seat of your pants, the right moves come by instinct. "Looks like I'm your girl, Captain," she said with a wink.

Last edited by auntmousie; 10-29-2019 at 04:57 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:38 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 148
Amarga Amarga
ApplicationNursula Grizzle, an Alien Doctor who looks like a bipedal bear in a nurse’s uniform. She’s a three on the scale, better with comforting and calming patients, but still able to help treat wounds well enough. The kindly, motherly bear thing always had her eyes on the stars, and her passion is being part of the discovery of new worlds.

RP sample“Now you stay riiiight there deary!” Nursula left the man encased in bandages. He was a tricky patient, he had tried to break into the ship’s medical storage, but the poor dear ended up activating the security defences! Well now he had minor burns on almost every inch of his body, so it’d be best if he lay down for a while. She had convinced the captain to let the silly youngster stay while his burns healed, but had insisted that she didn’t make him take his cold medicine in the morning.

I guess that’s a fair trade, but I’ll have to double his dosage tonight then. Nursula let out a gentle huff and reached into the cabinet, pulling out a needle and filling it with a bottle of sedative, “Honestly that silly youngster is going to hurt himself if he keeps thrashing about like that.” She turned and stomped back into the room where he left him, only to see him renew desperate thrashing as she approached, brandishing the needle in her paw as she smiled. “Now now little one,” Nursula placed a heavy, hairy paw on the man’s chest, the weight of it stopping him dead in place, “I’m just going to give you a little something to help you work through your injuries,” the man started thrashing as she brought the needle in, but a bit of pressure from the paw on his chest put an end to that. “Aaaaand, there!” She patted the would be thief on his head as she withdrew the needle, feeling pleased as he almost immediately started to calm down. “I’ll be back when you wake up with something warm and hearty, so just stay put until then.”

Nursula hummed as she left the room, I better prepare some more cold medication, she thought as she roamed through the halls to the fridge, I just know that these silly youngsters are going to come down with the flu something fierce! She let out a sigh as she shook her head, what could you expect from the youngsters, they were still only a few decades old!
Old 11-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Zangul
I would like to try for this. I am new to pbp I have done 3 apps and so far no success in being accepted. If you are still accepting apps I'll have one up soon.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:55 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Zangul

oocWork In Progress (wip)

Spaz Shortcircuit is an Andriod Engineer, he is a fixer and a destroyer, 4 is his number. He was built for fixing the mechanical parts and engine and all gadgets and gizmos. So upon building he was left with a little emotions, and mainly mechanical, and electrical engineering, and use of firearms as a way to defend himself. Only problem is spaz was not quite finished.

Last edited by Zangul; 11-07-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
Exfilia Exfilia
Oops. Editing.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:28 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19772
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Question - how many know about this system due to The Adventure Zone? (raises his own hand)
Old 11-09-2019, 03:07 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Zangul
I stumbled upon this. Thought it to be interesting
Old 11-09-2019, 11:20 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I first heard about this game through the One-Shot Podcast.

Zangul, very welcome to join in, I imagine this would actually be a great intro to using the site.

Glad to see we have at least 3 interested players! I'm going to wait until next Friday to see if there are any more applications, and then let you all know who will be joining the crew.

Last edited by HughtheHand; 11-09-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:04 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
zorbles
Murderbot 64-C is an Android Soldier originally created by a mysterious race called Those Other Guys and left on one of their planets as a deterrent and defense system. The crew of the Raptor encountered Murderbot 64-C in a previous episode. After a tense initial confrontation, they were able to alter its programming to recognize them as allies. Now it serves as a crew member itself, with its primary goal being to Shoot Bad Guys (or good guys, just so long as it gets to shoot something.) Murderbot 64-C has a 5 on the Laser Feeling scale.

RP sample:

Its system was rebooting. Diagnostic errors flooded its memory. As it processed them, its sensory systems came back online. Momentary static gave way to speech and Murderbot 64-C shifted its focus. It was being talked to-- no, it was being talked about.

"sure we can trust it? That thing nearly killed Jensen!" There were three organic lifeforms in the room, and one of them, obviously the leader, was addressing the other two. Murderbot 64-C registered this information with a faint sense of alarm. It was in close proximity to unknown organic lifeforms and didn't feel the slightest compulsion to destroy them. Was something wrong with it? Was it malfunctioning? It frantically resumed the earlier diagnostic and discovered two new lines of code in its primary program. Oh. That was all right then.

One of the other organic lifeforms began to respond, but Murderbot 64-C spoke first. "Greetings, friends!" it bellowed in a threatening roar, its only mode of speech. "This unit is at your disposal! Do you have any lifeforms that need to be destroyed!?"
Old 11-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Half-Orc Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5276
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
I will come up with something.