twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-30-2019, 03:32 PM
<3 M

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 522
xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire
I'll make sure I have mine done over the weekend, I've come down with a cold which is slowing me down.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:49 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6713
dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen
Happy Halloween all!

Let's set a tentative deadline for pitches for next Friday, 11/8th. Let me know when your pitch is done!

Stay safe and enjoy whatever evening festivities are in store for you!

-dg
Old 11-02-2019, 08:07 AM
<3 M

Tools
User Statistics
Name: Gorwin Halsing
Race: Catfolk (Scent alternate racial trait.)

Personality and Description:
Standing 5'9" and slim, Gorwin is quite unremarkable. Silver-grey fur covers his body and long tail, while his shoulder-length ponytail is several shades darker, bordering on black. Green eyes peer out from this dark silver fur, watching quietly.

A good natured young man, he never made much trouble. He knew his family needed every bit of help they could get, so unlike the other Catfolk children, he never had all that much time for playing, or pulling pranks. He does have one unusual quirk that sets him apart - his eyesight isn't as good as his peers, but his nose is top notch.

Background:
The son of a struggling merchant family, Gorwin was never exceptional. So receiving a letter from the Academy of Heroes ought to have come as a shock. If not for the events of a month prior, Gorwin may have thought it a joke in poor taste.

Gorwin wasn't so lucky as all that. No, he knew exactly why this letter was addressed to him. Silviae Lonkat, neighbour and unrivalled acting talent in Dormant, city of slumber, had been robbed and murdered by a drifter. Foolish Gorwin didn't leave well enough alone. He made the dire mistake of following the trail, the scent of the killer, to the location at which the vile man was hiding. The city watch had praised him, his privacy stripped from him, as he was burdened with overnight fame.

The spotlight was blinding. It was oppressive, being incapable of walking down the street unrecognised. He looked down at the paper, quill quivering above the paper. Take the offer, escape the throngs of people begging him to find lost items, even earn a living someday to help his family. It wasn't a difficult choice. With a deep breath, he scrawled his name, wondering where this letter would lead him.

In a sentence: A young Catfolk man that has bitten off more than he can chew (or smell), he isn't sure if he is heading towards refuge, or imminent danger.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...21#post8545421
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...97#post8530497
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...74#post8518274

I hope I have included everything required at this point, please let me know if I have made any errors.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:01 PM
Life
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11006
Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio
On the one hand, the fact that you've been going for a year and a half now is truly impressive. That you've done so with level 0 characters is, frankly, puzzling. The players in your game DG must indeed be pretty dedicated, and be well invested in their characters and the game world.

I have to wonder though about how this is supposed to go down? A year and a half and no one has leveled, not even once? Even if you only plan on going to level 5, some back-of-the-napkin math tells me this game will take eight to ten years to complete! Just as a practical matter, I don't know if that's going to work! At that speed, you could actually look up death rates and calculate the odds of at least one of your players dying IRL before the game gets to where it's going. Or are you just going to throw away leveling at all? That's an idea, I mean, how many times did Frodo and Sam level throughout the trilogy? None maybe, still an excellent story.

Anyway, trying not to get discouraged by this, focusing on what I laid out in the first paragraph, and come up with a good idea.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:42 PM
All the world's a Stage..

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6627
WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio View Post
... I mean, how many times did Frodo and Sam level throughout the trilogy? None maybe, still an excellent story.
I dunno Bio, I mean, um, ... well, They did(!)... well, I mean... ummm, you know what I mean... They grew in... well... They did learn(!)... umm.... .... --oh, never mind.

Last edited by WhiteStag; 11-02-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio View Post
On the one hand, the fact that you've been going for a year and a half now is truly impressive. That you've done so with level 0 characters is, frankly, puzzling. The players in your game DG must indeed be pretty dedicated, and be well invested in their characters and the game world.

I have to wonder though about how this is supposed to go down? A year and a half and no one has leveled, not even once? Even if you only plan on going to level 5, some back-of-the-napkin math tells me this game will take eight to ten years to complete! Just as a practical matter, I don't know if that's going to work! At that speed, you could actually look up death rates and calculate the odds of at least one of your players dying IRL before the game gets to where it's going. Or are you just going to throw away leveling at all? That's an idea, I mean, how many times did Frodo and Sam level throughout the trilogy? None maybe, still an excellent story.

Anyway, trying not to get discouraged by this, focusing on what I laid out in the first paragraph, and come up with a good idea.
Indeed. It has been a little bit of strange experiment with some (+) and (-). It has been a bit tricky finding ways to reward players for their effort, which I think has contributed to the large player turnover (another reason why I came up with this new application process). I do think that the lvl 0 part of the campaign would have been more effective IRL as far as the pacing, but such is the nature of PbP: it is the nature of stories to progress slowly.

It is important to note that being not-so powerful is an important part of this game (theme wise, more like Harry Potter than LoTR). Besides, we've had some great encounters and roleplay though as a result!

In the words of rhaiber (playing Spindletop),
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaiber
"I'm loving this campaign so far. Spindletop is enough of an outside-the-boxer that I can come up with plenty of options anyway. I kinda like how we managed to go through something like 4-5 turns of "combat" without any fighting actually happening. We basically managed to distract and stall our enemies until they just tossed their hands up and left."
You probably won't be fighting lvl 10 demons, in any case, so... ya.

@everyone: for clarity, leveling happens upon completing training at the Academy. Roughly speaking, each year that students spend at the Academy is equivalent to 1 class level (at graduation, all Academy students are at least lvl 5). The timing of when you gain these class levels is dependent on a number of factors, but since you all will be mostly joining the crew as they enter the Academy, you will achieve your first class level about the same time.

Also, there will be (roughly) one "main story" event per year at the Academy. So basically every "Chapter" will take place at a different character level.

As Bio pointed out, the "lvl 0" chapter has taken a year and a half to complete. I don't really know how long the other chapters will take. But I am pretty committed to seeing a group of players through all of them!
Old 11-03-2019, 01:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStag View Post
I dunno Bio, I mean, um, ... well, They did(!)... well, I mean... ummm, you know what I mean... They grew in... well... They did learn(!)... umm.... .... --oh, never mind.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Good Morning!

Just in case you missed it, I requested that initial character pitches be submitted by this Friday, Nov. 8th.

Other than xenavire, no one else has indicated that they are finished with their pitch. Please make sure to have something finished by the 6th (or notify me if this is unrealistic). I'd like to give the applicants who make it to the last round their last task.

Thanks!

-dg

Last edited by dalarangreen; 11-06-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:55 PM
<3 M

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalarangreen View Post
Other than xenavire,
I gotta say, I thought I was in a world of trouble when I saw my name. I was expecting to need to rewrite a whole bunch.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenavire View Post
I gotta say, I thought I was in a world of trouble when I saw my name. I was expecting to need to rewrite a whole bunch.
Haha! You're good!
Old 11-09-2019, 01:42 AM
Life
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11006
Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio
Name: Katheryn Saint
Race: Changeling

In a sentences Katheryn holds high standards for herself, and enjoys when others reach their own goals as well. She is a bit of a nerd, truth be told, and loves seeking knowledge for knowledge's sake.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:20 PM
<3 M

Tools
User Statistics
I'm cool with waiting a few extra days if needed, but unless I'm mistaken, we've hit the deadline.

Anyone still interested, I'd suggest last minute brewing, since I'm under the impression we need a few extras still. Otherwise, bring on the final task! *Ominous music*
Old 11-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Good morning everyone!

As Xenavire noted, we have arrived at the final stage of this app's process!

We are currently in: the NEGOTIATE Phase of Applications

Thank you all for your continued investment in pursuing this adventure together! This phase is where you all will discuss and negotiate / develop your ideas with me in more depth and ultimately decide / get you up to speed about the game!

WhiteStag had to bow out for the moment, so that leaves the four of you remaining.
  • @MrJoeGangles: I'd like to discuss some things with regards to your character. I like the overall concept: a gnome who pretends to be a wise-man martial artist, but is in fact just an ordinary gnome. However, in the game and at the Academy, it will quickly become obvious to everyone that Mergim is not really such a character. My main question is about how you imagine Mergim interacting with the revelations that he is not such a wise monk? Particularly among his peers. Also, see your next task below!
  • @Prometheous: Kin'ta is interesting, but I wasn't able to get a sense for what kind of hero Kin'ta is aspiring to be. It seems like his role models are the Shadow Lords. What kinds of role models are these? Are they evil folk? Good folk? We can discuss this more in your next task (see below!).
  • @xenavire: I'd like to formally invite you to join the game. Click here to continue the conversation in your private thread!
  • @Bio: I'd like to formally invite you to join the game. Click here to continue the conversation in your private thread!