RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11110
Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack
I think Cord is more likely older now that I'm playing him. Hows about 1985 instead? Makes him 32.
To the Callhill 5E: Baldur's Gate (DM), Dragon Heist (DM), Giants and Beyond (PC) Out of the Abyss (PC), DotMM (PC), To the Depths of Hel (PC), The Dark Citadel (PC) , SKT (PC); PF2:Age of Ashes (PC). Oath of Sangus.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5727
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
The main recommendations I have for your character are thus:
Change Darkness to limiting Visual senses, instead of Aural+Visual

You spent a lot of points on your Burst Area Affliction but it doesn't do much against powerful characters. I'd sacrifice the entire area and continuous aspect to have a concentrated affliction on one target, probably one that can be maintained with a free action on your part. Perhaps limit the degree to 2.

These two changes should free up some points. I'd spend them on a movement and/or a defensive ability. Right now, you can hide but you can't run. A portal teleportation through a darkness medium would work well conceptually.

No idea how much these would save/cost, but it should help. I'll mock it up in hero lab at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tover View Post
OOC: I was considering a shadow teleport when designing him in the first place so that would make sense to me and fit thematically. I'm thinking I would want to focus more on the Darkness control as well, less on the melee abilities (I was too focused on making it like the character I was modeling him after). Maybe model the powers after a normal elemental controller and just use darkness as my "element". Let me find an example. I will link it. Similar to this sample one from the SRD, swap flight for the shadow portal and force-field for the affliction? See how we can get that to work points-wise. Throw extra points from removing the immunity into fine-tuning control of the darkness?
Do you want to keep the affliction the way it is, or change it as I suggested? Are you picturing a long-range teleport or more of a combat teleport? What do you want to alt off Damage 12?
Do no harm, take no guff.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 04-12-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 565
Tover Tover Tover Tover Tover Tover
I think making the change you suggested for the affliction makes the most sense. I was picturing medium range teleport. I was thinking we might be able to alt off the ability to manipulate darkness/shadows, maybe remote sensing like awareness of whats in the darkness? Is the energy aura going to the concealment? I figured that would be kept, I would say that is central to his powers.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Make a list of which powers you would like and the rough outline of what you want them to do, and we can sort it out from there. I'm having trouble understanding what you want atm.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Darkness Cloud Concealment: Visual Senses conceal cloud around him that he can control shape of with Darkness Control, lasts while he concentrates on it
Darkness Control: Damage 12 short/medium range, more fine control over the the darkness, send it in specific directions, if possible it lasts while he concentrates as well? (I would like to have him be able to fire off smaller clouds that stick around to use as deception, not necessary just a smaller want)
Darkness Regeneration: regenerate a bit in darkness (this is not super necessary either)
Nightmare Illusions: single target affliction
Darkness portal: TP through shadows in sight

Last edited by Tover; 04-13-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Reach of Shadows: Concealment 2: Normal Vision. DC 12, Shapeable area 5: 500 cft, Attack: Dodge DC 12, Increased action 2: Standard. 10pp.

So a shapeable (but contiguous) cloud that gives your enemies a -5 attack penalty to you if they fail a DC 12 perception check, a -2 if they fail a DC 17 perception check. It can be used as an attack (i.e. envelop somebody in darkness and give them a -5 to all attacks, not just ones against you), but has a DC 12 Dodge check to avoid. Cost: 10pp. Takes a standard action to create and a free action to maintain. Darkness counts as 'shadows' for all power purposes.

Darkwork Bolts: Damage 10, Homing 2: 2 extra attempts, Increased Range 1: Ranged, Diminished range 2. Range: 50/100/250 feet, DC 25. 20pp.
Homing is a neat extra. You still only make one attack per round, but if you miss, you get another chance the next round for a free action AND you can make another attack. You can dismiss a Homing attack by not taking the free action to maintain it.

Alt: 1pp. Shadow Step: Teleport 5.

The teleport lets you teleport two others with you against a DC 15 Parry Save. It also lets you teleport up to 3200 pounds 900 feet through shadows as long as you can see your destination

Darkness' Embrace: Regeneration 5, every 2 rounds, Source: Darkness (Any darkness) Limited: Half efficiency (every four rounds) if a Your hand, your face, your foot, etc. Not fingers, toes, ears, etcsmall but significant portion of the body is exposed to Clothing does not prevent this. Your darkness does.bright light. Does not work at all if you have no access to darkness. 2pp

Living Nightmare: Cumulative Affliction 10. DC 20 Will Save. Limited Degree 1. Extra Condition 2. Dazed+Impaired+Vulnerable, Defenseless+Prone+Stunned. Cumulative, Extra Condition 2, Instant Recovery, Limited Degree 1, Feature 2: Allows you to speak inside the target's mind. Cost: 22pp

Total Cost: 55pp.

This brings the cost down to 55pp from 84pp. I'll help you spend the remaining 29 pp however you want. Improve your powers, defenses, advantages, skills, whatever.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 04-13-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Wow. Yes. This is amazing. Thank you so much. I was probably going to swap out some the advantages I took(Uncanny Dodge, Close Attack) for some ranged ones like Accurate attack and precise attack. And then throw some more points into the ranged combat skill, bring it up to like 10-12, and the rest, unsure. Probably more into defenses and skills mainly. Maybe grabbing the Fearless advantage would make sense character-wise? Animal empathy for Shadow?

I tried to throw more RPXP your way for this because honestly, this is incredible, but I need to give it elsewhere first. So... just you wait.

Last edited by Tover; 04-13-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:34 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Ranged combat can only be brought up to 10 for now due to PL limits. Thematic advantages are up to you.

You're welcome.

You may also want to consider the quick change feature the energy controller has. It's cheap, and it's handy.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 04-13-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Right right, I knew that! Err... At some point I knew that. lol.

Quick Change sounds good to me. 1pp

So lets do Ranged combat to 10, intimidation to 10, Stealth to 10, Insight to 10, and investigation to 5: total that will cost 8 pp
Animal Empathy - 1 pp
Fearless - 1 pp
Fortitude to 8 - 4 pp
Uncanny Dodge > Accurate Attack - 0
Close Attack > Precise Attack - 0

That SHOULD leave me with 14 remaining pp. Could we use that to buff the Reach of shadows somehow, increase Perception DC? The powers are what I have a tougher time with.

Last edited by Tover; 04-13-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Skill ranks cost 1/3 pp each.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Fixed it.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
I am unsure how to increase the DC of a visual power by the rules. I mean, I could just fiat it and say that increasing the resistance DC costs 1 point per increase and set some max cap (say, 20) for this power. Would you like me to raise the perception DCs to 20 and 25 for a cost of 8pp?

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 04-13-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:02 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
That would be fantastic. Leaving 6 pp. So lets throw some more advantages in there, Uncanny dodge is back, if critting with the Darkwork Bolts is a thing: Improved Critical +2 on them, and Evasion. Then we can throw the last two points into Will. If I cannot crit, then... another point of stamina should cost 2 pp, right?
Old 04-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Critting is fine. It's a damage power, it has crit.

The names were just off the top of my head. If you have ones you prefer, feel free.

I'll update your sheet shortly.

For precise attack, which option do you want? Close or ranged, cover or concealment?

Edit: Apart from that, I believe your sheet is up to date. Enjoy

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 04-13-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:57 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Over the next few days, I'll be posting potential upgrades for OTHER PEOPLE'S characters so you can get an idea of the scale of what's in store for you from an Arbiter. Don't spoil it for them, okay? And these are possible, even probable, but not set in stone by any means. There'll be a lot of homebrew and custom costs here.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 06-04-2017 at 11:06 PM.