RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5677
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Creation

This is where I'll be working with whatever newcomer we end up with to make their character. Keep any peanut gallery commentary halfway constructive.

Available Arbiter list: Loki
Famine
Ferocus
Poseidon (Delayed)
Thor (Delayed)
Vulcan (Delayed)

Do no harm, take no guff.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 06-02-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
This guy is 16-17, and has:
Engineered a cure for a bioweapon
Learned how to mass produce nanotechnology AND program it to cure cancer AND upgraded it three times
Is in biomed?
Recruited by the CDC

Genius is one thing. Mary Sue is another. I'd push the birthdate back at least a couple years. This story is set at the beginning of 2017. I don't think this kid would have time to do all this, regardless of how intelligent he is.

Why did the government send the brightest mind it had to combat an outbreak it had started? Where did he get the nanotech in the safe house?

Blob: Nanoxadone or Nan-13
Shrek: Themarzin or Th-11
Charlie: Platinomine or Plat-15
Steve: Antilutide or Ant-9

Made up some vaguely science-y sounding nonsense words. Feel free to have your character call them Blob, Shrek, Charlie, and Steve.

"Secondary programming" Who programmed this into the nanotech? Did they do it themselves? Did HE do this on the fly from a safe house?
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5475
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Quote:
Originally Posted by First post

Enoch Matthew Edwards
Player: gravenimages
Arbiter: Plague
HP:
Born: 2000
Weight: 150

Personality: (Went by 'Matthew Edwards' and will probably use 'Enoch' as his hero name)
(scraps)
Chip on shoulder about age and capability
Excitable
Constantly fiddling with something
laid back when working - music, (bad) dancing, mock swordfighting, computer games, etc... Believes brain is working even when he isn't focussed.
randomly drops everything and gets to work with gale force when the inspiration hits him.

Backstory:
(scraps)
Genius kid - like newsworthy genius - chess prodigy or something generally use-impaired.
no real direction for study or life...
mom gets cancer
Matt goes into biomed, cures said cancer
in demand due to innovative cure (nanotech that metabolize cancerous cells through a cloned tissue engineered bioprocessor ('biomass')).
ends up at CDC - Dad in military in some capacity and serving the country is the thing to do?
three revisions of biomass that could metabolize broader cross-sections of disease. ( Blob, Shrek, Charlie - We can get cooler names for these)
deployed to Brazil to combat some sort of outbreak
finds out it was actually his own government testing a bioweapon which got out of control.
engineers 'Steve(tm) (name open to change)' to beat the outbreak
however riots overtake the lab before it can be deployed
severely injured, gets to safe house.
secondary programming of nanotech puts him back together but with tissue from Charlie as well... Ends up with that organ where his appendix should be, and much of it's capabilities... Plus a few things from some of his side projects.

Complications:
Motivation: Doing good
Distrust: Feels betrayed by his own government and not sure who to trust. Paranoid.
Assumed dead: Many folks will look for him if they realize he's alive. Can't reach out to old contacts, family, etc.
Protect the tech: If he dies, the research might die with him. Has to get either access to his online stuff, or reverse engineer out of himself, but needs expensive lab and time to do it...
Reply to concerns above:

Ok, lets make him 26 or so, having studied engineering and made some nanotech before his mom got sick. Side projects and ideas that started at this time could have been finished up in free time at the CDC, accounting for those 'secondary functions'

Tighten up the capabilities of the biomass a bit to make him less world-beating growing up. The first one could do one type of cancer, the second several types, the third many types as well as a few other, lesser diseases (influenza and malaria perhaps)
The fourth one gives Enoch his powers and the reverse engineering of it will be like chapter or plot level difficult if it happens at all, so it's actual abilities are largely irrelevant.

if he is kept in the states rather then Brazil, instead of a riot he might fall victim to some sort of government or corporate espionage, making it back to a workspace shared by a civilian contractor for the CDC that he had befriended?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Influenza and malaria have likely caused more human deaths each than all of cancer combined. They were serious issues before the advent of antibiotics, quinine, etc.

Yeah, I'm not letting you start the game with disease-curing miracle tech. Having HAD them in the past is fine, if they were destroyed/stolen/lost and only used on a small scale (for starters, there's no way the FDA approved this in any time nearly fast enough to save your mother. But I digress...) . Remember, the apparent world (meaning as it appears to Joe Schmoe off the street) resembles ours as of 1/1/2017. Your character being smart enough to come up with that is fine, and pursuing that throughout the game is fine, and having a bit (or a lot) of nanotech inside you is fine, but I'm not letting you start out having cured the world.

Starting location is unimportant to me, but you should decide.

And I can't help you with a build until I see SOMETHING at least. I don't even know what you want your character's mechanics to look like, other than presumably intelligent, much less beat them into usable shape. Not really in a hurry for this, but just making you aware.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 03-27-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:01 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
All fair enough. Might be a few days, I'm wrangling with an epic toothache right now.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:02 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
Epic toothache conquered via Miracle Cure.

Alpha build:
Matthew Enoch Edwards

Stats cost Total: 40
Str 0 0
Sta 4 8
Agi 2 4
Dex 2 4
Fig 0 0
Int 8 16
Awe 4 8
Pre 0 0

Defenses base add misc total 24
Dodge 2 6 8
Fort 4 4 8
Parry 0 8 8
Tough 4 6 10
Will 4 6 10

Advantages cost Total: 10
Defensive Roll 6
Improvised Tools 1
Inventor 1
Skill Mastery: Technology 1
Skill Mastery: Treatment 1

Skills Stat add total: 20
Expertise: Technology 8 10 18
Expertise: Treatment 8 10 18
Insight 4 10 14
Perception 4 10 14
Techology 8 10 18
Treatement 8 10 18

BioArray (43)
Powers in array: Miasma, Edemic Blast, Miracle Cure

Miasma (10)
Range: Close: vs Dodge (dc20) for half effectiveness, then vs Will dc 20(full effect) or 15(half effect), failure weakens the toughness trait by 1 per 2 points of failure up to a total of 5 points of toughness.
Secondary effect (at end of attacker's next turn): Close: vs Dodge (dc20) for half effectiveness, then vs Will dc 20(full effect) or 15(half effect), failure weakens the toughness trait by 1 per 2 points of failure up to a total of 5 points of toughness.
Weaken Toughness 1
Area: Cloud 1
Concentration 1
Secondary Effect 1
Incurable Flat 1

Edemic Blast (5)
Ranged: (125', 250', 500') vs Dodge (dc15) for half effectiveness, then vs Toughness (20 or 17) for damage, and vs Will (dc 15 or 12) for affliction which is cumulative. .
Secondary effect at end of attacker's next turn: vs Dodge (dc15) for half effectiveness, then vs Toughness (20 or 17) for damage
Damage 1
Ranged 1
Secondary Effect 1
Linked 0
Affliction (Fatigue, Disable, Incapacitated) 1
Ranged 1
Cumulative 1

Miracle Cure (10)
Healing 2
Energising 1
Persistant 1
Restorative 1
Ressurection 1
Requires Check (treatment) -1
Tiring -1
Uncontrolled -1

Accelerated Treatment (5) (6 cost)
Healing 2
Requires Check (treatment) -1
Fades -1
Persistent 1 flat point
Ranged 1

Accelerated Diagnose (3)
Senses (Detect Health) 1
Senses (Analytical) 2

Immunities (4)
Poison 1
Disease 1
Need for Sleep (half) 0.5
Starvation and thirst (half) 0.5
Infection (parasites, virus, etc) 1

Last edited by gravenimages; 04-02-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
I'll get to this at some point in the next few days. Haven't even given it a once-over yet.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
I don't know how you add Miasma to be 10.

Weaken 1:Toughness resisted by Fortitude
Area (cloud) +1/r
Concentration: +1/r
Incurable: +1
Secondary: +1/r
I get 5pp.

You say Ranged 1 on Edemic blast. Is that Increased Ranged 1 or Reach (ranged) 1?
Is EB a damage effect paired with an affliction?

What kind of check does Healing 2 Require?

I do not understand what you mean by Healing 5 (6) Healing 2
Old 04-02-2017, 01:04 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
Number in parenthesis are ranks. 10 ranks of 4 points plus a 1 point flat = 41

EB is damage and affliction, linking is how to do that, right?
blast is ranged + damage so I'm guessing extended range. Not sure about that. It's meant to be a distance power.

Healing is 5 ranks requires treatment check.
The stuff underneath is a cost breakdown. Should have named it something other than healing to differentiate, sorry.

Miracle Cure is to explain how he cured his mother but can't duplicate the effort at will.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Looks good then. If you can add some of the ranges, DCs, and what defense resists which power, we'll get you rolling.

Also, I'll make you immune to non-magic, non-technological, and non-designed viruses and parasites (aka anything you're likely to encounter that isn't a direct attack against you). I like to leave my options open.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 04-02-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:45 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds swell, I think I have things rolling if you'd like to doublecheck.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Mechanics are imported to character table. If you'll make a proper backstory (what you have now are just scraps), you'll be done.

I added a secondary save to those which only had the option for half effect. This secondary save has a +7 DC to whatever the DC to save at half effect is. (if DC for half effect is 15, DC to resist/dodge completely is 22)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:06 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
Heyya, is that secondary save to avoid full effect a house rule, or something I have missed in the SRD?
Old 04-03-2017, 01:12 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
It MIGHT be in the SRD (but I haven't seen it), but I'm houseruling it in so that you have a chance to miss when you don't roll a one.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:51 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
Backstory: Matthew was born to a white-collar family, a lawyer and a nurse in Arizona. He showed very high aptitude in math and science from a tender age. He learned prettymuch everthing put in front of him, but had no real passion for it outside nanotechnology (which was essentially building his own toys). This all changed when his mother was diagnosed with a currently-untreatable form of cancer. This gave the young man purpose to go along with his capability. After a furious period of study and liquidation of most of the family's assets, he was able to cobble together a marriage of cloned tissue and nanotech, and put her cancer into remission.

Of course, many MANY rules, statutes, and federal laws were transgressed to make this happen. His father's skill at negotiation, plus Matthew's research, materials, and supervised service to the government were enough to buy his parents' freedom and a first-rate government coverup of the whole situation.

Matt's "Miracle Cure" proved somewhat less than a revolutionary breakthrough. In the beginning it wasn't reusable at all, having to be calculated from scratch for each prospective cure. Matt's unorthodox working methods made it difficult for most scientists to collaborate with him, so development was ponderously slow and usually delayed by the need to cure some wealthy and politically-connected person.

Worked for seven years there, and despite setbacks managed two revisions of process, each marginally more broad - spectrum and reusabe than the last. One day a bioweapon being engineered elsewhere in the facility broke containment, killing many and tainting the third biomass revision. Succumbing to thd weapon himself, Matt threw everything he could together, then sealed himself in the treatment chamber and initiated.

He overengineered by a few degrees, being not only cured but awakening with new abilities. Owing to he chaos of the event, and his swapping security badges with a technician, he walked away from the facility a free man, presumed dead. With only his clothes, he is currently travelling though small towns in Arizona and New Mexico, working as an orderly, nurse assistant, or med student at walk-in clinics, trying to figure out what happened to him, and to reason out who in his former life he can trust, in order to contact them for help.