User Statistics
RPXP: 486
The Firkraag The Firkraag The Firkraag The Firkraag The Firkraag

Old 06-14-2017, 05:00 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13574
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Sorry about that, I'd completely missed that I'd been moved here and like the above post said, was away for a long weekend.

I'll get the actual numbers up shortly as I'm using my phone right now but the basics of it is that I have one main power - an aura that inflicts a wide-range of weakening effects linked with damage to organic targets. There's some comic book pseudo-science involved but basically anyone who gets too close literally starts to starve to death, and rapidly. This effect isn't actually that hard to make, though it is a bit expensive. It still leaves me with points to play with though, which is where I keep going back and forth. I can't decide whether to go for more of a power-focused build of a skill-focused build, it's essentially a choice between versatility or doing one thing very, very well.

While I don't want to meta-game, it is a group effort, so I thought I'd get some very general opinions. Keep in mind the aura doesn't discriminate, it hits friend or foe. But it can be turned on or off, so walking down the street won't cause people to just collapse and die. I'm leaning towards the versatility route, if only because it's a lot more party-friendly, but if there's an "unholy melee combat terror" role that needs filling, I can do that too.

Regardless of power choice I have some stealth and investigative skills, I'm just looking for a little input as far as which build option I should shoot for. I'll have more details and an actual sheet up tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4839
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Versatility is probably better. If you look at the origin threads, WB likes to throw curve balls at you. That's fair. ~Beast If you take a social skill, I would recommend maxing out deception.
Don't forget that this game gives you 3 skill ranks for 1 PP instead of 2.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 06-14-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5727
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Firk:
Haven't looked it over thoroughly, but I cannot see the rank or how many flaws/extras you have on your mind control, mind reading, and telepathy.
What is an undercover shirt?
And you don't need to specify an attack when your +2 to Ranged Combat comes from Dexterity 2. It just applies to all ranged attacks.

PalladiaMors: Again, can't have much input without seeing the numbers, but skills are always nice.
Do no harm, take no guff.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11110
Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack
Firkraag, at first glance, based on my adventures so far, you may need to have more defense. Maybe an illusion power based on your build so far? Or a teleport with a residual image? Just spit-ballin'.
To the Callhill 5E: Baldur's Gate (DM), Dragon Heist (DM), Giants and Beyond (PC) Out of the Abyss (PC), DotMM (PC), To the Depths of Hel (PC), The Dark Citadel (PC) , SKT (PC); PF2:Age of Ashes (PC). Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 06-14-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:49 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4839
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
@Fir
Definitely ramp up your defences. As it stands, if this is a trickster build, personally I'd also max out Insight, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand and stealth. Maybe slap on a few Skill Masteries.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Undercover shirt is the low level bullet proof vest that can be worn under clothes.

I can post the full card by card tonight so all the details are more visible. I thought the summary had everything. I'm just using the demo builder so I can't use it to make a nifty sheet.

I keep hearing about my low défenses. Lol. Ok. I'll take the hint. One more rework in progress.

Last edited by The Firkraag; 06-14-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
What is an appropriate défense level?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:24 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I'm thinking maybe I'm spread too thin. What if I ditch the shifting right now and concentrate on the mental array. Include some illusion etc. That'll free up some points to up skills défenses and advantages. I feel like he's becoming somewhat over stretched.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:21 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
I agree it's stretched, but the basic concept for this character is a trickster shifter, right? I don't know why you decided to funnel all these points into mental abilities.

Defenses should always be at their PL cap, or very close. Dodge+Tough has to be less or equal to than 2x Power Level, same with Parry+Tough, same with Fort+Will. Getting all 10s, with perhaps a slightly lowered toughness/fort and a complementary raise in dodge, parry, and will for thematic purposes.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 06-14-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
He was to be a trickster and con man. The shifting and mind reading kind of went hand in hand. Without the mind reading etc. he still works but would be significantly less capable. Without the shifting, he would be different but a good illusion power would do the same thing, maybe. Is it a problem if I shift the idea a bit to simplify? Do you prefer the morphing over the telepathy?

Re: defenses. Oh! I really did not have the idea of that! I thought 2-3 would be good.

Last edited by The Firkraag; 06-14-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:55 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
The lowest defenses any current player characters have are Avner/Orrin's Will and Acathala/Wraith's Fortitude at 6 each, because they're playing as a Powerhouse/blockhead and a ten-year-old assassin stealth character, respectively. And I could probably kill them both in ten turns with a PL 10 psychic for Orrin, or a PL 10 afflcition character for Wraith. Were I inclined to be an *******, which I'm not. And they'd get better.

I can understand the desire for mind reading as a shifter. If I can stat up a decent ranged mind-read (or grab-based/close, if you want it to be cheaper and higher rank) and have it cost between 10-15pp (maybe alt it off of comprehension 3 or vice versa to save points), would you be happy with those as your main mental ability?

I do prefer the morphing over the telepathy, both because I feel like it's cooler, it fits 'trickster' better, and it's mechanically simpler (without MetaMorph).
Old 06-15-2017, 08:07 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ok. I think I've got this trimmed down and the survivability boosted.

If the powers are acceptable I will transfer this to a BBCode sheet.

There is a small variable effect in the thought mimicry, but I limited it to skills and mental advantages and linked it to mind reading, with the idea that he can pull off better impersonations if he steals the ability to play chess from the mark, if playing chess is an important trait of the mark. Like Mystique, his precise morphing allows him to imitate a person down to their DNA . If that is banned or requires a further extra let me know. The link to mind reading is meant to represent that he can't mimic anyone he hasn't first mind read. He can take their shape, but not the mental mimicry.

I changed the expertise to hacking as it seemed that break and entering both computer security and security systems was a broader thing. I didn't take your 6/1 deal you offered as this seemed too broad.
Edit: I just noticed that he's not strong offensively. I'm fine with that but if it's a problem, I can add a psychic attack to his array.

Again, I apologize for blowing up this thread. I'm learning as I go, which has made the process somewhat unfocused.

Last edited by The Firkraag; 06-15-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Apart from Thought Thief, everything looks great.

But... Thought Thief is rather confusing. Is it an array? Which effects are linked? Are they all linked?

I'd let Mind Reading do what you want Thought Mimicry to do on two conditions: 1. That you add a general +1/r cost to it. and 2. You must establish 4 degrees of contact with the victim, but can mimic their 'personality' (chess-playing, the way they walk, etc) well enough that it takes a DC 25 (+ the Degrees of Success you achieve on Deception against their first insight roll) Insight roll to see you aren't the real thing. You can keep the mimicked personality until you A. attempt to mimic another, or B. You use the Selective part of Comprehension.

For example, if you mimic Professor Brown, a renowned theorist in quantum physics, and run in to his wife, his wife must make an opposed Insight against your deception check. Say she rolls a 15 against your Skill Mastery of 30. That's 3 DoS for you, making the DC on her second insight roll DC 25+3=28. Both insight rolls are made 'simultaneously' in game time.

So I'd stat it like this:
Thought Thief (23pp Array):
Cumulative Mind Reading 10. DC 20 Will, Cumulative, Insidious, Feedback, Precise, Reduced Range (Ranged) (250/500/1000), You must establish 4 degrees of contact with the victim, but can mimic their 'personality' (chess-playing, the way they walk, etc) well enough that it takes a DC 25 (+ the Degrees of Success you achieve on Deception against their first insight roll) Insight roll to see you aren't the real thing. A. attempt to mimic another, or B. You use the Selective part of Comprehension.Perceptive (+1/r) Cost: 22pp +1pp alt.
1pp Alt: Comprehend 6. Languages: (Read All, Speak All, Understand All, You're Understood), Spirits (Communicate, Medium), Innate, Selective. Cost 19pp.

Selective Comprehension 6 lets you choose who understands you, but you can make it so that everybody who hears you understands you.

If you keep Morph where it is at 17pp, and replace your 'Thought thief' with my 'thought thief', you'll have 4pp left to spend on whatever, and be able to copy thoughts (but only one at a time).

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 06-15-2017 at 11:48 AM.