RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 01:42 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1129
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Are heroes of supernatural origins permitted in this setting?
Old 10-28-2019, 01:52 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9757
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
All origins are allowed. The only restriction is mentioned in the reopening of the thread: If the character has powers that are given by equipment (most commonly associated with the technology origin, though technically this could also be a magic armour, an alien symbiont etc) they need to have an inherent reason to care about the disenfranchised that can't just "put down the mantle". Thinking about it that way - if the character is a robot/cyborg then the restriction on technology does not apply in the same way at all.

But other than that I don't care if the hero is a magically animated bucket, a radioactive sludge or a demon cowboy - go wild.

Last edited by Phettberg; 10-28-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:30 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
right-aligned image
Name: Sigil; the Lady of Garlands, Viridian Mistress, Warden of the Fey Marches and Once and Future Queen of Summer
Nation of Origin: The Marches of Faerie; a region of the Otherworld that lies metaphysically 'near' to the mortal plane, and has not faded entirely into the Twilight of the Far Lands. It does still experience the passage of time, though in an unpredictable way, and the turning of the seasons is subject to the disposition of the ruler. Or is it the other way around?
Age: Difficult to say in mortal terms. Centuries at least.
Appearance & Personality: Passionate and mercurial, given to rapid mood shifts. She is easily angered by discourtesy, but also a sucker for a sob story and is generous to the downtrodden. Has a definite sly and mischievous side as well as a penchant for poetic justice.
Biography:
Sigil came to Unity City only recently, after being banished from her domain by a rival fey queen. The terms of her banishment give her a timeframe before she can be directly targeted for revenge, so she is eager to obtain allies and aid in anticipation of that time expiring. Although Sigil was born a human (though with fey heritage), she hasn't been to the mortal world in centuries, and still struggles with the vast changes that have taken place. She has taken to disguising her nature, both to avoid spies and to make day to day living easier. In her time so far she's managed to wrap her head around technology as 'a kind of magic,' and has been adjusting to the idea of a nation without a monarch. On learning of 'superheroes,' Sigil realized she could accomplish two ends at once: assisting the victims of crime and using this activity as a means of meeting and befriending others who could potentially help her withstand the onslaught of Winter...when it comes.

Because it is.

Powers:
Sigil is no longer imbued with the virtually god-like powers of a Queen within her Domain, but has significant magical powers nevertheless. She can create illusions of objects, even beings, that can seem so real as to be solid. She can tempt the mind and perhaps even the soul with a song, or vanish in a swirl of flower petals to appear in like fashion elsewhere. Like many of her kind, Sigil can change her appearance or even disappear entirely through the use of glamours. Furthermore, her fey nature makes her virtually immortal; ageless, untroubled by desert heat or mountain cold, and with skin that cannot be pierced by weapons of mortal design. Further, she has the Sight which pierces disguise and twilight, and can sense and shatter magical effects.

In addition to all these powers, she has stolen a wand shaped like a tapering spiral made from ivory. With this device she can cast the dreaded 'elfbolts' that can strike a man dead...or leave him slumbering for a hundred years. The wand can also afflict others by altering their forms, moving them about, or withering any unliving thing with the weight of eternity.

And yet, for all this, she is but a shadow of her former self...and of the Queen who will be hunting her.

Complications:
First and foremost, Sigil is a fey being, albeit with a human body. As such, she has many vulnerabilities from folklore. The touch of cold-wrought iron (iron that was never heated but instead shaped without fire) causes her pain and destroys any manifestation of her powers on contact. She is utterly unable to renege on an oath she swears on by her name, or with her blood. She can be trapped within magic diagrams, or prevented entry by a line of salt or wood ash. As a former revolutionary, she is motivated to oppose injustice and uphold the downtrodden. This can mean offering aid directly to the poor or injured...or can mean taking up arms against and overthrowing an evil overlord. And of course, she has a dire enemy in the form of Octavia, whom she deposed many years ago and has now risen to power again.

RP Example:

Last edited by SalmonMax; 10-28-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:55 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Started a new table for applications on the frontpage of this ad. Eventually I will also do a round of short feedback.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:47 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Round of short feedback for Hiruma Kohaku and SalmonMax:

Old 10-29-2019, 12:29 PM
Thinks People Are Tasty

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10372
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Echo - Remote Viewing Psychokinetic - Experiment
right-aligned image
Name: Echo [No Superhero Name, see Note]
Legal Name: Cecilia Farrell
Nation of Origin: U.S.A.

Last edited by Saratek; 11-05-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:11 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Some great points and ideas, Phettberg, thanks!

Old 10-29-2019, 03:47 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Still open for everybody! Channel your inner supercharged vigilante!

@SalmonMax

Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Old 10-29-2019, 05:26 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3958
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Dang, this looks super neat! I wondered if I could port over an old character (from a different game system) but he might be too similar to Saratek's character. I'll have to think on it!

I took the Oath of Sangus
Old 10-29-2019, 05:49 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
I have no issues with players reusing old characters, though a submissions that's similar to another applicants makes things difficult. It might not entirely preclude you from consideration, but with the near unlimited amount of possibilities available (maybe not so much mechanically but at least flavour-wise) it might be considered poor form. Maybe speak with Saratek about it. If they are up for that sort of direct competition for one spot then I would not hold it against you.

That said I'm excited for the interest, and I'm sure we could make something work. If not that particular idea then there might be another to germinate into an app. The world is your superpowered oyster.

Last edited by Phettberg; 10-29-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:35 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3958
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
It's not exact, just the similarities being an 'experiment' angle. Although, not necessarily the same the more I read. The character I had is more 'after the fact of a certain incident' rather than being an experiment for their entire life.

I think I'll rework it to have a completely different angle, too. Perhaps more 'alien' involvement, if that's cool?

I took the Oath of Sangus
Old 10-29-2019, 06:52 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Then that doesn't sound too bad actually. While ideally I would like to mix up origins as much as possible it's not as a big an issue as the main descriptor of a super or the powers used. That being said, two experiments can work together, though it seems that "the artificer" also has that origin. Three might be overkill for me to pick up at the same time. Something to take into account for everybody involved.

Aliens are fine by me. That's the beauty of this game, you can take any idea (for example water manipulator) and flavour it as a magician, a mutant, a god, a scientist, an alien, a demon or anything else you can think of. So switching a concept does not have to be a huge ordeal.

Last edited by Phettberg; 10-29-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:35 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
grdell grdell grdell
I'd been waiting for a good character idea before I applied and then I finally got one I can really get behind and I look to see what you've already got... and mine is too similar. Maybe. What do you think?

I was considering someone with spatial alteration powers (like the Correspondence sphere from Mage: The Ascension) - he can warp space (change distances), alter dimensions (make things larger/smaller), etc, but mostly it was about teleportation.

Is that too much like "The Artificer"? Should I go back to the drawing board again?
Old 10-29-2019, 07:45 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdell View Post
Is that too much like "The Artificer"?
Could be, but I'm not certain. I am in talks about the specifics of artificers powerset and how teleportation comes into it logically. We'll see where that goes.

Though in the discussion above you can also see that it's down to more things than just the powers picked. Depending on the styling of the whole thing it might even be a non-issue. "Bleep-bloop, the spatially flexible goblin from outer space" could be in a group with the artificer and that they both teleport would not be enough to make them alike, if you get what I mean.