Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Priestess
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 03:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1100
LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac
Everyone should take a gander at Brekka group. Stuff got real already! (I say, trying not to curse so early with new people.)

P.S. I hope it's fine that I'm spying on the others, Plum.

I have taken the Oath

Last edited by LinguaManiac; 02-05-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8608
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Spy away. Obviously the timelines are staggered a bit at the beginning.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Flying free since 83

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4888
Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider
Random question tom: how'd you create your map?
Old 02-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 484
Duskdog Duskdog Duskdog Duskdog Duskdog
I've been spying all along, so I'm glad it's okay. >_>

What an intro we got! I came home from work hoping for a post, and I got more than what I bargained for! This was beautiful, Tom. Aaric is gonna flip.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
@Anazider - map is from inkarnate.com

@Duskdog - glad you like it!
Old 02-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Gran calavera eléctrica

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 418
mrtowne mrtowne mrtowne mrtowne mrtowne
@Aaric, Landsknechts

Things moved fast and I wanted to chime in on things. Shira entered the temple at 16, already a decade into her first career as criminal, so the list ought to look like

Tahira (25) in at age 12
Kaylid (26) in at age 6
Shira (28) in age age 16

Regarding head coverings, I think you should go for the veil for Aaric. As Landsknechts pointed out, having how your head looked being dictated by your faith was and is very common in many religions, and the Catholics we are liberally stealing from is no exception. Perhaps Evelyn asks that we cover ourselves in some manner, but it is up to us to choose how that is, hence the fact that three different priestesses have their own style. Indeed it might be proper that we intentionally all choose a different style as a mark of our individual faith.

Also Re: the flying nun, the thing on her head is called a Cornette and is essentially just a heavily starched fancy french wimple. If it gives me the ability to fly I will happily wear one
Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
Aaric Aaric Aaric Aaric
I'm flipping. I may have audibly screamed. Softly. To myself.

...Time to google funeral rites for the pope, mirite?
And expend all Kaylid's lv1 slots on Cure Wounds... not because it's sensible, but because holy notswearingyet.

@mrtowne

Huh. I kind of like that-- The order doesn't have an authoritarian SINGLE CHOICE, but a variety of options through which each individual may make their own choice regarding their faith. Fits my mental idea of the religion being a bit more 'feeling' than say, the Old Testament. Also makes sense with how Tahira would be allowed to wear the shayla instead without much fuss.

Thanks for filling in the info-- I may make some charts later. I love charts.

Last edited by Aaric; 02-05-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:28 PM
Flying free since 83

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4888
Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider Anazider
Once all of this information is decided, will it be gathered in the main information thread? After the OOC gets several pages deep it might become a chore to go searching for a specific piece of info.

Here are some things I came up with for the Brotherhood of the Last Banner:
  • The Brotherhood of the Last Banner was an order founded in the direct aftermath of the decisive battle between Orcs and the unified races. Their initial duty was to guard the southern borderlands that the orcs retreated across after their defeat. With no strong warchief for a thousand years, the orcish threat has greatly subsided and the Brotherhood branched out and began guarding and protecting the Sanctaid and other holy sites including the recovery and safeguarding of relics sacred to the Martyr and Bartholomew Wraith. (tom can decide the DCs on knowledge checks related to the order)

• The Brotherhood resides in Rhohrdan's Vigil, a massive fortress that once served as the orc's central stronghold as they spread their conquest of the unified races. The fortress is named after Rhohrdan Greyskin, when of the great heroes of the war and Bartholomew Wraith's chief lieutenant. Rhordan was a half-orc who arose through incredible adversity to become a hero, and in the wake of the orcish retreat Bartholomew Wraith tasked Rhohrdan with safeguarding against their return.

Rhohrdan's Vigil is now a shell of its former glory, with the Brotherhood numbering less than a quarter of the fortress's former host. The Brotherhood maintains the fortress's defenses as best they can but with over a millenia of peace since the last orcish incursion, Rhohrdan's Vigil is now more museum than military outpost.

• There are a multitude of races in the Brotherhood, from halfling to centaur, but humans comprise the bulk of their number. In the middling years just after the end of the orcish incursion, and just before the Human-Elf war began, it was tradition that all races would send some of their number to Rhohrdan's Vigil. The third and fourth children of noble families, knights looking for one last act of bravery before their twilight years, adventuresome youths looking to make a name for themselves, the Brotherhood's numbers swelled with worthy individuals in those days.

Yet over time, the tradition began to wane and fewer worthy individuals came to the Brotherhood. As the war in the east escalated, the eastern kingdoms began to send only the dregs of their societies to the Vigil. The order now consists of miscreants, the unwanted, and a diminishing number of true believers clinging to the old ways.

• There are only three ranks within the Brotherhood: Initiate, Brother (or Sister), and Elder Brother (or Elder Sister). Those three ranks are separated into three divisions: Archivists, Diviners, and Seekers. Initiates are tested when they come of age, or when they first come to the Brotherhood for older candidates, and then sent to a division based on their aptitude.

• Archivists are responsible for the cataloguing of relics and the maintenance of the collected history of the realms. They range far and wide throughout the lands in pursuit of their duties, and there are many that embed themselves throughout the kingdom so as to feed information back to the order. This division consists mostly of Bards and Rogues.
    • Diviners are responsible for scrying out relics for recovery by the order, as well they attend to the Brotherhood's various magical needs. Diviners tend to remain cloistered within the Vigil, and as such this division contains most of the Order's older members.This division consists mostly of Clerics, Druids, and Wizards. Warlocks and sorcerers are mostly shunned by the Order because their magic most closely resembles the magic used by the orcs during their incursion.
    • Seekers are the most martial arm of the Brotherhood and they are most responsible for the protection of Rhohrdan's Vigil, recovered relics, and Archivists while out in the field. Seekers are generally found in the company of Archivists, but can be sent alone into situations deemed too dangerous for Archivists. This division consists mainly of Monks, Fighters, and Rangers. The odd Barbarian is counted among their number so long as they can remain disciplined enough to adhere to the Order's strictures.
    • Order selection need not be a lifetime commitment, and it is common for a Brother/Sister to change divisions. A Seeker slowed by age or injury may become an Archivist, a Diviner tired of always remaining in the fortress may become an Archivist, and so on. Transitioning from one order to another is not automatic though; each order has its requirements and a new applicant, even from within the order, must meet said requirements before they are accepted.
    • All members of the Brotherhood are martially trained and given a general education, but the degree of martial aptitude and erudition generally depends on the Brother's division. The Brotherhood's fighting style is an odd mismash of martial traditions from the various races. A master of the Brotherhood's style can flow with elven grace, stand as implacable as a dwarven shieldsman, and improvise with human ingenuity.

So that's what I've got. Think of the Brotherhood as a mix between the Night's Watch from GoT and the Harpers from Forgotten Realms, with a sprinkling of the Jedi order in for flavor. If anyone is wondering, I'll be playing Brother Wren as a Seeker. It is rather odd that he's being sent out alone without an archivist, but he's just so excited to go on his first mission and hey the mystery is half the fun right?

Thoughts? Yes? No? Pimento?

Last edited by Anazider; 02-05-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anazider View Post
Once all of this information is decided, will it be gathered in the main information thread? After the OOC gets several pages deep it might become a chore to go searching for a specific piece of info.
That's a great idea.

I should also point out that @Arthilian01 came up with a great nickname for The Knights of the Spear. Here it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthilian01 View Post
"Have it your way, Spear, We're just humble soldiers." The seasoned thief knew how to play his appearance, he was just an old soldier fed up with his duty.
I think this is great. From the way I read this (and he can correct me if I'm wrong) but "Spear" would be like "cop", which is not what one generally calls a "Police Officer" but is how most people refer to them when they're not around. In other words, it's not actively rude, but it's not very polite either.

I have taken the Oath
Old 02-06-2018, 12:04 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Aaric Aaric Aaric Aaric
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinguaManiac View Post
I should also point out that @Arthilian01 came up with a great nickname for The Knights of the Spear. Here it is:

I think this is great. From the way I read this (and he can correct me if I'm wrong) but "Spear" would be like "cop", which is not what one generally calls a "Police Officer" but is how most people refer to them when they're not around. In other words, it's not actively rude, but it's not very polite either.
I really like that-- it doesn't even seem 'not very polite' to me though, just-- not very formal. Seems like Spear/Spears would be a natural evolution of how folks would refer to the Knights of the Spear since that's a bit of a mouthful and it's a way to differentiate between the holy knights and the kingdom's knights since I'm not sure we're using terms like Templar or Paladin.

Aaaand clearly the kingdom's knights have their own identity and agenda.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaric View Post
I really like that-- it doesn't even seem 'not very polite' to me though, just-- not very formal.
I guess I'm using the two as synonymous; "not very polite" being different from "rude". Whether they are or not is perhaps is perhaps outside the scope of the conversation. But it's why I compared "spear" with "cop", which is a word I used with a cop just the other day but would never dare use when I'm pulled over on the side of the road by one.

I have taken the Oath
Old 02-06-2018, 06:46 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Aaric Aaric Aaric Aaric
Priestess Stuff

@mrtowne, Landknechts
Since everyone was accepted (yay!) and we've got multiple people of the same order, I thought we might put down little blurbs regarding what they’d know about each other since they’ve all loosely known each other for 12+ years. Who knows when/if we may meet up, but...

Old 02-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 412
mandaanne mandaanne mandaanne mandaanne mandaanne
GM question --

Can you tell us about the environment? The map looks like pretty standard "European-ish medieval fantasy" - farms and forests and the like - yes?

What season is it? What time is dawn/what time does it get dark? What is the weather like?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, Rhyfel is typical european medieval with a mild climate even in winter. You're not going to see much snow unless you go mountain climbing.

It is the beginning of winter in Rhyfel but the temperature is still in the 50's F (10 C). Sun would be rising around 7 am and setting around 5 pm. Currently a calm day on the outskirts of Areth Taesi.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I'm getting my groups confused...you are at the crossroads...not near Areth Taesi...weather still holds.

There's a high pressure zone over Rhyfel...