twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-22-2018, 04:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3095
Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq
Hey thanks a lot both of you, I'll get my character made after work tonight or sometime tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:49 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5224
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Spindletop Loadlightener, Explorer-At-LargeName: Spindletop Loadlightener
Race: Halfling
Initial Class: Expert
Appearance:
right-aligned image
Spindletop Loadlightener
On first glance, Spindletop could easily be mistaken for a young girl. At least, there certainly seems to be a great deal of evidence to support this hypothesis such as her barely three-foot stature, or the rosy glow of her cherubic cheeks, or the guileless innocence shining in her pale blue eyes. She appears to be practically swimming in a massive, slightly worn overcoat, which was clearly stitched for someone much larger than herself - judging by the fact that sleeves have been rolled up several times and still partially obscure her hands, or the hem which is so long it would drag on the ground in the best of circumstances.

Even when standing on her tippy-toes (as she frequently does when around larger folk or interesting-looking shiny objects that have been placed on high shelves) Spindletop's shoulders come just above the average person's waist. Despite her diminutive stature, she is hard to overlook though, due in part to the brightly colored and horribly mismatched clothing that she wears beneath her baggy duster coat. A pair of belts bristling with pouches criss-cross at her waist. Her long, violet hair is pulled back in a ponytail, but several thick wisps have come loose and hang in front of her face, though never obscuring her pale-blue eyes which gleam with a guileless curiosity. Her apple-cheeks and ever present grin give her an almost naive and childlike appearance which immediately sets you at ease, and you cannot help but smile at her.
PersonalitySpindletop is a ball of boundless energy, bursting at the seams. Her entire being is dominated by insatiable curiosity, actively seeking out new experiences of nearly any kind. This leaves her utterly fearless, the desire for new experiences totally eclipsing any and all concern for her own well-being.

She views the world around her with a childlike innocence and is completely devoid of guile. She has a tendency to take what others say at face value since she sees no reason why anyone would ever lie (other than the odd embellishment of details to make a story more dramatic). Intentional misdirection is something she simply cannot conceive of. Evil as a whole is something she does not comprehend either. Instead of seeing people in terms of good and evil, her perception is limited to nice and mean. She is fiercely loyal to her friends and would do anything in her power to protect them.

Spindletop is a gregarious storyteller and delights in sharing tales of both her own adventures and those from her family history. She seems to have a story at the ready, suited to every possible occasion. Her tales are at times meandering and convoluted, full of grand embellishments. The focus of these stories sometimes centers on details that most would overlook, while glossing over other seemingly crucial points.
Background:Spindletop grew up in a communal society where the idea of personal property was a foreign concept. Every physical item was viewed as belonging to the society as a whole rather than to any one individual, and ownership was fluid, with property being freely transferred to whoever had the most pressing and immediate need. As a result of this upbringing, Spindetop has a tendency to borrow interesting looking-objects without asking, often simply with the intent of inspecting them to satisfy her curiosity. However, she is not a thief. Her total lack of understanding personal property means that she is entirely without greed or avarice as well. She never takes things with the intention of hoarding them. To her, all objects are to be examined or used when it is interesting to do so, and there is no value to simply having them. This means that money holds no real value for her either. She has never attempted to steal the contents of someone’s purse since coins are inherently very boring; if you’ve seen one gold coin, you’ve seen ‘em all. When she has traveled with parties of adventurers dividing up treasure, Spindletop typically foregoes all gold and silver in favor of mundane items like a jar of elderberry jam or a shiny pebble. She does occasionally collect gemstones when they look interesting enough and she recognizes that they can be used as a form of trade, but with no understanding of monetary value, she is likely when visiting a tavern to pour the entire contents of her gem-bag on the bar and ask the innkeeper which ones he would like.

The communal nature of her homeland also manifests in large kinship circles. Family trees are well-known with far-reaching branches and roots stretching many generations deep. Family histories are a matter of pride in a society with a rich oral tradition and Spindletop herself is a gregarious storyteller, always happy to share anecdotes of her forebears, great-great-great uncles, and fourth-cousins thrice-removed. These stories have a tendency to grow more and more elaborate with each telling, but as they are often outlandish and bizarre to begin with, it is sometimes difficult to tell where the truth ends and the embellishment begins.

RP Sample:

Secret secretsNothing to see here
Old 03-22-2018, 08:56 PM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19155
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafratin View Post
HI kaylara, hows the weather out west where you are?
Hiya its hot and rainy here in Indonesia. Im travelling this month, so on and off the internet right now. Plan to be back in USA in a few weeks.

How are you? Feel free to PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6713
dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen
@new interested people!: Welcome Framm18, Quick Ben, Tafratin, Zazaq, Xian. Glad to see the burst of interest!

@Everyone: The game thread has been approved, so I can finally announce the application deadline-- April 27th at Midnight MT. For all of you that are here early, that's a ways out, but that's what its got to be for me to do some of the back-end stuff. Luckily for you, I promise to give all of you early apply-ers a review/feedback (if you're interested in it)!

I'll answer the specific questions in my next post!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:53 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6274
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
I would like a review/feedback please.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28383
Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthilian01 View Post
I would like a review/feedback please.
I second this remark! Onward!

Cheers, Xian
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19852
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Awaiting Feeback
right-aligned image
Soon I'll have the strength to save you all!
Name:Marcus
Race: Human
Initial Class: Commoner

Description and Personality:

Marcus is small, his clothes torn, his pale cheeks hollow, and his hair a mess. His eyes dart wildly around the room, and his hands move nervously from one pocket to another any time he stands still long enough to be observed.

He is fiercely loyal to those who earn his trust. Often sharing portions of his meals with the smaller children of his group. He is equally quick to anger with unfamiliar faces. A stranger is just a person who hasn't stolen from you yet. They say music soothes the savage beast. They aren't far off with Marcus. A tale or a song always calms his nerves. Tales of heroes and magic can keep him occupied all night and cure any mood.

The boy also possesses a keen intellect. You have to be sharp to survive Svartálfaheimr long. Their Fey overlords do not tolerate dullards, the weak, or the lazy for long. His sister's after-hours tutoring served to hone his natural gifts. Combined with a sharp eye, Marcus often spends his nights repurposing discarded items for future use.

Background:

Svartálfaheimr is a cold, dark, and cruel place. The tunnels beneath the ice the only home he's ever known. He'd had a family once, or so the others whispered. The dark fey had stolen the children at a young age, or their parents had bartered them away. The stories varied from child to child. The only thing Marcus knew for sure, was that their taskmaster's hearts were as cold as the frozen walls.

The elves had them toil in their homes, in their shops, and in the mines. The most willful and disobedient children were forced to work the mines. Those children returned hollow and broken in both body and spirit.

The children had more in common with beaten dogs than the happy go lucky younglings of other worlds. Quick to anger, fiercely territorial, and eager to please if it meant even a moment of their master's favor. Hope was a currency more valuable than food and Marcus' sister, Mina, was its chief supplier. She was beholden to the head librarian, an impossibly lieth fey known only as, The Keeper. Mina had a dark secret that could cost her her life. She could read and often stole her master's books.

Mina would tell them stories of heroes and their deeds. The children especially loved tales of The Academy of Heroes. A place where children just like them could become heroes of legend. The stories of those hallowed halls could quiet any grumbling stomach, soothe any aches and pains, and gave the children a reason to rise in the mornings. One day their letters would come.

RP Sample:

Mina rushed into the children's shared room. "Marcus, I've messed up, I've messed up big. The Keeper, it knows, it knows everything! It knows I've been borrowing its books and reading them behind its back. It called me into its chambers as it often does, but that smile." Her whole body shivers as she recalled the event. "I knew something was wrong. It gestured me forward, and my body moved of its own accord. I moved my head from side to side as i tried to break its hold, and that's when I saw this on the desk." She reverently handed Marcus a vellum envelope. "You know what that is dont you?" She whispered to her younger brother.

She paced back and forth and spoke without waiting for an answer. "It has to be an invitation from the Academy, and it has your name on it! I have no idea how The Keeper intercepted it, but its magic freed me and stunned the master. The magic may or may not have also stopped me from taking a peek inside. Open it, open it already!" She hovered over her brother as he produced a shard of metal from one of his pockets and slit the envelope open. His eyes darted from side to side as he read. "yes, Yes, YES!" He chanted as the letter continued to reveal itself. He shoulders slumped as he finished. "no, No, NO!" He fell to his knees and fought the urge to cry. Where would he find flowing water in this frozen wasteland?!

He took several deep breaths and looked his sister in the eyes. "It says I need to find a river or stream and ride it to the end. That's where they are waiting for me." The other children, silent until this moment, began to hit Marcus lightly. "You can't give up now" They all chimed, more or less in unison. "Mr. Satan the Mighty didn't give up when the alien invaders challenged him to single combat, did he?! You have to start somewhere if you want to be a hero like him!" Their rousing speech was cut short by the baying of hounds. A moment later, a beast made of wiry black hair, teeth, and fangs, burst through the thin wooden door. "Du har vært veldig slem" The Keeper's voice boomed through the room as the temperature dropped twenty degrees. "RUN" Marcus screamed over the baying hounds.

The children scattered out the doors, laughter following them no matter which corner they turned. "Go, be a hero, name your holy swords after us Marcus. We'll haunt you if you don't" Two of the smaller boys broke off from the group and ran back toward the laughter. Marcus hesitated before his sister shoved him forward. "It's already too late for them. We have to get you to some water, or their sacrifice is for nothing!" She cried to her brother. Several more turns found them in an unfamiliar area. The color of their lips and knocking of their knees told them they were close to the exit. They had to keep moving, or the cold would take them before The Keeper even caught up. They rounded a corner and stopped with aghast looks on their faces. A massive open gate loomed before them. An endless landscape of razor-thin trees and white as far as the eye could see. They ran into the unknown.

The mote was frozen over but looked to have been a natural river at some point. Even the spectacular waterfall at the cliff's edge appeared frozen over. The siblings scrambled out onto the icy surface. "Opphør og dødsfallene dine vil bli hurtige!" Boomed over the white landscape. A blast of energy surged through the open gate. Marcus yelled and dove into his sister, knocking her out of harm's way. The boy, and the ice below him were bombarded with energy. The ice gave way, and the boy was drawn into the stream and over the falls.

He blinked and shielded his eyes from the light. "Ah you're with us again." An unfamiliar voice called from just out of sight. "I'll have to say, that was a most unorthodox entrance. Still, you've made it in one piece. Welcome to The Academy of Heroes young man." Marcus began to cry. He prayed that it would be worth the terrible cost.

Last edited by Imveros; 04-07-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen
@Quick Ben: Psionics is definitely fair game (the Academy of Heroes actually has a department devoted to psionic arts, namely, the School of Spirits and Mysteries). But remember, you won't have access to a Kineticist's class until after the Trials (i.e., after you have been admitted to the Academy)!

@Zazaq (and Imveros): Imveros has hit the nail on the head when he said, "focus on the story." I am interested in characters more than I am mechanics. I'd be happy to have someone new to pathfinder, that's no problem. Especially in your application, I mostly want to see a character that I am inspired to see grow up!

@Xian (and Krow Nest): Xian! Glad to have tempted you! :P I do have to agree with Krow Nest on the picture. Luffy, well, makes me think of Luffy. It'll be easier for me to read your app without the picture in this case.

@Everyone: Also, character photos and pictures ARE NOT required, just in case anyone was confused about that. Include a picture if it helps your imagination (sometimes I do that when I work on apps), but don't feel like you have especially an "anime" picture. Definitely not needed!to include a picture. I want to see good writing more than I want to see the perfect photograph.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalarangreen View Post
@Quick Ben: Psionics is definitely fair game (the Academy of Heroes actually has a department devoted to psionic arts, namely, the School of Spirits and Mysteries). But remember, you won't have access to a Kineticist's class until after the Trials (i.e., after you have been admitted to the Academy)!
#Gamechanger....

Quote:
@Xian (and Krow Nest): Xian! Glad to have tempted you! :P I do have to agree with Krow Nest on the picture. Luffy, well, makes me think of Luffy. It'll be easier for me to read your app without the picture in this case.
Personally, I don't find it that difficult to separate, but you're the boss... it was hard to find a good country boy anime pic, but if it ain't needed well let the app stand on its own!

Onward!

Cheers, Xian
Old 03-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics

Old 03-22-2018, 11:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1708
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
EDIT: Fixed up

Last edited by Krow Nest; 03-23-2018 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:53 PM
Imaginary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2098
Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben
Application

Character Application
right-aligned image
Name: Everett Fletcher
Race: Human
Initial Class: Commoner

Description and Personality: Everett is a quiet young man with dark hair and even darker eyes. His features are remarkable for their blandness. Average height, average build, he is the sort of person who reminds you of some one because he could almost look like anyone. He can most often be found wearing a dark, slightly threadbare suit made of sturdy material. He tends to stick to dark colors, a marked contrast to his pale complexion.

By nature and nurture, he is focused and subtly intense. A lot goes on behind those dark eyes that most of the world never knows about. It is a skill honed growing up in near constant danger, and Everett has learned that lesson well. Despite this (or perhaps because of it), Everett will go out of his way to help others, often under the guise of serving his own interests. In a world of monsters, compassion stands out. Better to go unnoticed. He won't admit the bone deep need he has to spare others some of the hardship that he has seen in his short life. But that also means he subscribes quite wholeheartedly to the end justifying the means.

Background: Everett Fletcher grew up in a world of almost perpetual twilight. A peculiarity of magic or astronomy, his London home featured brief days and long nights. Dangerous nights. In a city lit by gaslight, terrors are known to stalk the shadows, rarely seen but amply feared. The common people of London only survive by being cautious and being quiet. Who knows if the carriage rumbling down the street contains a nobleman or a vampire (or both)? Why risk being out late when the darkness can hide a myriad of sinister acts? A murder or disappearance occurs all too frequently in a city plagued by subtle, occult horrors of all types, but every one knows the best way to deal with it is to never draw attention. Besides, who would they turn to for help? The local law enforcement is ineffectual against such supernatural threats, the nobility in the pocket of the powerful forces that work unseen in the city. Better by far to pretend the supernatural does not exist. Indeed, most people seem able to ignore it completely. The grumble about vague tragedies, but go on with their lives, building families, working jobs, moving on.

Maybe Everett is just different. Maybe he can't pretend. As far as Everett knows, races beyond human are monsters, pure and simple. While the horrors of his world are rarely glimpsed, lizard folk, half horses and and bird people should all be assumed to be interested in eating some portion of his anatomy, not taking classes and giving lectures.

RP Sample: Everett Fletcher slouched home in the wan light of late afternoon. The classes in the single room school house where he spent his days had been the same soul crushing tedium as the thousands of previous days of his youth. Noticing the shadows stretch around him, Everett picked up the pace, pausing only to retrieve the day's mail from the small box outside his family's small flat on their small street. He sorted through the letters as he mounted the stairs and entered his childhood home, eyebrows rising as an envelope of thick, creamy paper bore his name.

With a half-shouted greeting to his mother, Everett climbed the narrow, rickety staircase to his room, still staring at the strange letter. It looked and felt completely out of place with everything else he'd ever seen in his short life. Sitting at his small writing desk, Everett carefully sliced open the letter and began to read. The contents of the single page note did nothing to dispel the sense of dislocation that the letter created in the young man.

"A...hero?" he mumbled to himself. The very idea seem preposterous. There were no heroes. Not really. Only in stories. But the letter, by virtue of being so different, also seemed so...real.

Without thinking about it, Everett found himself dipping his quill pen in the jar of ink, the tip poised above the signature line. What am I even thinking? But if there's one thing Everett Fletcher had never lacked, it was will, and if that's what the letter said it took, well then, he was willing to give it a try.

Everett scrawled his signature on the line, almost dropping the pen when additional text appeared below his looping letters. Water....the Thames! He stood, suddenly full of a strange, manic energy. He wanted to go now. But one look outside through his small bedroom window threw a wet blanket on that notion. Night had fallen. Not the time to be out alone, especially down by the river. He stood again, restless, pacing his small room, trapped inside by the darkness, just as he'd been his entire life. As everyone he knew had been. But maybe....not forever.

Last edited by Quick Ben; 04-02-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:59 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5224
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
I always welcome reviews/feedback
Old 03-23-2018, 12:28 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Can do, boss... I am on it!

Onward!

Cheers, Xian

Old 03-23-2018, 12:28 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6274
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
I addressed the questions in the secret section, they definitely caused the juices to flow. I have looked over and read my application several times over the last couple days and thought it needed something but wasn't sure where or what to add that seemed important, thank you for the direction.

Last edited by Arthilian01; 03-23-2018 at 12:29 AM.