RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-29-2018, 01:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19624
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Aww sorry to see you go Kaylara. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your schedule clears up in the next month before selections are made.

It would have been fun to adventure with a mermaid cleric
Old 03-29-2018, 04:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6585
dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen
@Kaylara: Sorry to see you go, but thanks for sharing your interest Kaylara!

@Everyone Else: I know we got a ways out before the deadline. Thanks for waiting! I just finished posting up the faculty in the game thread. Obviously, none of your characters will have met the faculty yet, but just to stir up your imagination, if you want to take a gander, you can read all about the Academy of Heroes faculty here!
Old 03-29-2018, 05:51 PM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5846
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
This sounds like a really unique concept. Count me in!

Bekkel
left-aligned image

Name: Bekkel
Race: Grippli
Initial Class: Adept

Description: Bekkel is tall and lanky, by grippli standards at least, standing just over two feet tall. He has bright green and yellow skin, topped with a pair of huge golden eyes, constantly darting back and forth so he doesn’t miss anything. His clothing is simple hide, covered in all the bits of bone and charms you’d expect from a shaman in training.

Personality: Think of your typical ‘farmboy with big dreams’ type, except instead of a farm, he’s from a swamp, and instead of a boy, he’s a frog. Bekkel has big dreams, and almost all of them revolve around slaying some sort of ferocious beast and possibly rescuing a beautiful princess. Although books are rare in his village, he reads any he can get his hands on, eager for tales of might, magic, and monsters. Given the lack of reading materials, the young frog has taken to composing his own stories, scratching images out in the mud of his swampy home. Bekkel is cheerful and outgoing, although his more traditional friends often roll their eyes at his dreams of heroism.

Background: Bekkel comes from a grippli village deep in the middle of nowhere. For thousands of years, his people have lived in that swamp, far from the grand struggles of the human kingdoms. That, most of them will tell you, is exactly how they like it. Their existence is a peaceful, if somewhat boring, one. Occasionally, meaning once every few generations, some human hero happens by the village in the course of some noble mission or another, and the gripplis give him some small help getting through the swamp and send him on his way, determined to stay uninvolved. This seclusion has helped the village stay more or less unbothered by the near-constant upheaval of the outside world.

Bekkel was the son of the village shaman, and was expected to take over the role when his father retired. The shaman plays a critical role for the village, communing with the spirits of the swamp and the sky, protecting the people from all sorts of natural hazards. In his early years, Bekkel was fine with this arrangement. He had a bit of a knack for the shaman magic, and he loved the swamp more than anything; between the muck, the everpresent smell of decaying vegetable matter, and the general dampness, it was heaven for a young frog. He often spent his days exploring his marshy homeland along with his friends, eager to see all the swamp had to offer.

On one such excursion, young Bekkel and his friends encountered something quite unexpected. They had made their way near to the edge of the swamp, where the river flowed in from the open fields beyond. Although they knew they weren’t supposed to venture beyond the swamp’s boundaries, the sounds they heard in the distance drew them to the very edge of their domain, peeking out into the world beyond. There in the fields they saw a gigantic demon, locked in combat with a group of human heroes. The others with him quickly ran off in fear, urging Bekkel to come with them, but he couldn’t take his eyes off the battle unfolding before him. He watched in stunned silence as the heroes defeated the mighty beast. The show over, his friends were finally able to pull him away, but the things he had seen occupied Bekkel’s thoughts for some time afterwards. The powers those humans had possessed made his own magic, and even his father’s, pale in comparison. And that demon… that was beyond anything he had ever seen in the swamp. Did the rest of the world really have creatures like that? What could even a shaman do against such a monster if one attacked the swamp? For that matter, what would have happened with that one if those heroes hadn’t been there? The gripplis had always said they had no need of heroes, but was that just because someone else did the fighting for them?

With all these thoughts running around in his head, about demons and heroes and epic fights over the fate of the world, the day-to-day life of the swamp village began to feel decidedly dull and somewhat pointless. Even his shaman studies didn’t feel important; what did it matter how well he could bring rain, or fend off crocodiles, if a demon or a dragon or something even worse could come along and wipe out the whole village? His father and the other elders told him such things were none of their concern, that the gripplis had always had peace by staying away from such things. Bekkel wasn’t buying it, though. He had seen it for himself; the gripplis had peace because heroes like the ones he had seen fought to protect them. How could they be content with sitting by and doing nothing while others fought for them?

As the years passed, Bekkel became obsessed with stories of heros and adventures. He wanted to know more about these people; who they were and why they did what they did. There wasn’t a great deal for him to find, but the village did keep records of the adventurers that had passed through in years past, and he scoured every bit of those records. He was surprised to find that many of the heroes weren’t that different from him, coming from humble beginnings until an adventure fell into their laps. This, of course led to the impressionable young frog fantasizing about being a hero himself. These flights of fancy soon began to drive a wedge between Bekkel and the rest of the village. His father was disappointed that he was wasting time he should have been spending on his studies. His friends, at best, tolerated his fantasies, and at worst, made it clear they no longer wanted anything to do with him. Dreams like his, they said, could only bring trouble. Never one to let go of an idea once it was in his head, though, Bekkel didn’t let it bother him. If his friends and family wanted to live their lives the way they always had, hiding buried in the mud, let them. But he couldn’t just ignore and forget the things he had seen. Maybe they were right, maybe he’d never actually be a hero. Maybe this really was all life could be for a little grippli. If that were true, if stories were the closest he’d get, than he’d at least treasure the stories. And he’d keep an eye out, because the one thing all those stories taught him was that you never knew when an adventure was about to fall in your lap.

Last edited by Exhibit A; 04-13-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:00 PM
Imaginary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2096
Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben
Oh geez, Everett is just going to assume all the teachers want to eat him...

Last edited by Quick Ben; 03-29-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:10 PM
Life
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10963
Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio
Name: Merida NicUrsis
Race: Coldborn Skinwalker
Initial Class: Warrior

Ready for review!

Last edited by Bio; 04-06-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen
@Quick Ben: I wonder who will be the one to convince him otherwise! :P

@Exhibit A and Bio: Welcome good to see applications from you both! I have to finish some reviews from previous applications. If you want a review for your applications, it will probably have to wait until next weekend!
Old 04-01-2018, 05:10 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Next round of Feedback for: Quick Ben, Zazaq, and Vaerdis, is finished! Let me know if you have questions!

Old 04-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1708
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
What about me? :o
Old 04-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow Nest View Post
What about me? :o
Your application is too perfect! Any feedback would be a waste of time!
Old 04-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1708
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
Your application is too perfect! Any feedback would be a waste of time!
I'm told that constantly but I'm never chosen so... Rather Dalan tell me if its fine
Old 04-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6274
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
There have been times that I haven't been chosen either, Krow and I wonder, 'What am I missing?'. When this happens, I often reason that I have all that's required but my character just isn't quite the type of character that the GM is looking for or perhaps a good personality that will work well with the others. Your character's personality is a big part of group dynamics.

I hope this makes you feel better about your application even if you don't get chosen.

Last edited by Arthilian01; 04-01-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow Nest View Post
I'm told that constantly but I'm never chosen so... Rather Dalan tell me if its fine
I was just joking

I'm sure dal is just busy!
Old 04-01-2018, 05:52 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
I was just joking

I'm sure dal is just busy!
True!

@Krow: I'll give you some more feedback next weekend. Wanted to give everyone a first pass at reviews before I did a second pass!
Old 04-01-2018, 10:43 PM
Tug of Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2307
Framm18 Framm18 Framm18 Framm18 Framm18 Framm18 Framm18 Framm18 Framm18 Framm18 Framm18
Imber is making some process (updated some things, though far from finished)... I hate the disconnect from my brain to hand when it comes to writing...
Old 04-01-2018, 11:36 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 506
Demonlord Steve Demonlord Steve Demonlord Steve Demonlord Steve Demonlord Steve Demonlord Steve
I'm definitely interested in playing! Will post application tomorrow night.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus