RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: I-M > MoonZar > Empire's Trials
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-03-2018, 12:36 AM
Rise from the Ashes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1658
JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid
Olesia Indeed, it sounds like the start of a bad joke--a bluffing paladin trying to save the day...Olesia's false rage dialed down to a simmer, eyeing her captors with nothing but contempt. "What am I up to? Shouldn't you be asking yourselves that very question? Have you given it a long, hard thought at just who you've accosted? Surely you must have, but I can personally attest that none of you will live long enough to enjoy whatever payment you're anticipating--you'll be tracked down, one by one, and cut into neat little pieces."

The Paladin words, though grim, surprisingly lacked the bite that she had been expecting. Facing these dogs, Olesia suddenly felt naked without her armor, wearing only the thin leather underclothes that knights strapped their armor over. The top was a sleeveless turtleneck, exposing the strong arms of a warrior, the leather leggings gripping the rest of her so tightly that it left very little to the imagination. Olesia's ears tickled crimson, her face only half as stoic as she would have hoped. No! I mustn't falter!

Lifting a fearless smirk, the knight flew them an unimpressed glower. "Why don't you drop these shackles? then we'll see who teaches who!"

Last edited by JReid; 08-03-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22631
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Currently
Date 3th of Azaëlle, 7453 (Winter)
Time Morning
Weather Outside Snowing, -21 C.
Inside Normal Light, 4 C.

Raven's Den Cells
right-aligned image
The female pirate looks at Olesia with a dreaded silence. Treats and intimidation is definitely not the blond strong point, but that's the bread and butter of pirates and scoundrels. She picks up a ring of keys at her belt, attached to her with a thin metal wire to prevent pickpocket. Calm and not in a rush in her movement their host unlock the door, close it behind her and lock it down before attaching the ring of the key at her belt again. She turns back to her accomplice. - " Whip and gags, now. (Darakyan). " Arms crossed she remains silent and stoic. With any screams or threats the party continues throwing at her, draw a smile on her face. One of the men leaves and come back with a whip who has a series of razor-sharp blades and fangs inset along its tip, and two more gags. He hands over the whip to the female leader in Olesia cell.

* CLAP *

The whip slams on the wall between the blonde paladin and Xan'chia. Elegantly she shows off by turning the weapon over her head and clap it again. Whips are Taevar's things, she does have similar skills as him. She approaches Olesia, and remain silent and walk slowly between the two women attached to the wall, her boots echoing on the floor. - " Didn't know Eryka's clergy relies on threats these days. " She walks back behind them. - " Such a great courage to rely on others to resolve your problem. Your parents will indeed try to kill us, perhaps they will cut us in pieces, that won't change much from the day to day for us, brothers and sister of the sea. I'm already shaking in fear." She giggles, having master fear a longtime ago. - " There's many flaws in your logic. " Walking toward Xan'chia, she continues talking. - " I'm here, you are here, and there's nobody to help you. " In one dry move, she rips the clothes open of the exotic beauty back and moves in position fifteen feet behind her. - " I'm sure you can deal with pain, however, let see how you deal with the pain inflicted on others by your own doing. "

* SLAP! *

The barbed whip opens the tender flesh of Xan'chia like
Dice dmg:
1d4+3 (4)+3 Total = 7
butter from her right shoulder to the middle of her back, blood droll gently down the wound. - " You are more valuable alive indeed, however, don't underestimate the satisfaction it will give me to whip one of you to death and cut a bit from our payment. Shall I continue, or you got the message and will shut the f-up?! " She makes the whip turn again over her head, ready to tare apart the shaman's back. - " I'm bored, I can go at it all day! "

Meanwhile, Pacho intervention is met by the two guards near his cell. The bearded one approach with an angry look. - " Close your mouth s*it face or we'll find more sins just for you! " It's not the first time Pacho has to deal with the likes of them. Those pirates are experimented based on their battle scars, after all they did torch many ships to get all of them and their comfort was well planned. The place, the shackles, the defenses of that place were all organized just for them. Someone with resources and a plan is behind all of this, that would be pure insanity to anger many noble families at once, but there are so many crazy people out there.

Last edited by MoonZar; 08-03-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Skulblaka-vodhr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1556
Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387
Korag Bolin
left-aligned image
Korag raged seeing the cruel treatment of the women. "You bastards! We’re all chained to the damned walls, and you’re whipping them for some sick laugh? I’ve fought blood elves with more decency!"

Old 08-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5328
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
Sayyida does the only thing she can. She stands tall and starts to laugh while looking down her nose at the female pirate who whips one of her cell mates. She laughs loudly and with her whole body. The sound is sharp and full of disdain.

"Are you supposed to be Pirates," she yells around her laughter. "I've met dockhands with more sea character then you all."

"Brothers and sisters of the Sea," Sayyida says and spits on the ground is derision.

"If you've any Sea in your thin bones then I challenge you by the rules of Wind and Sail. I, Sayyida al'Hurra, who knows more of pirating then you poor lot, who has more salt under her little nails then you've in your whole body, who has sailed with de'Danser and stolen from him too, challenge you by the customs and code that hold and mark true Pirates."

Sayyida spreads her hands as wide as she can and looks upon her quarry with utter contempt.

"Do you accept Pirate," she adds sneering. "Or do you cower like some landed ass pretending to be seaborn? Do you deny my challenge and make excuses? Do you take the customs only when it suits? Or is there really salt in your bones enough to accept and let sword and skill decide."

Sayyida is earnest. She calls out these pirates for mere brigands. She denounces and defames them not as one they have kidnapped but as one who has sailed and fought and has had sailors fight and die with her in battle upon the deck of a pitching ship. As a woman who refused to yield when caught be de'Danser, who has looked into the eye of storm and screamed in challenge as it bore down upon sail and timber. She challenges the woman to combat.

"Refuse and you name yourselves," she shouts. "Not pirates. Just thieves pretending to know the currents. If that be the case, then come whip a me and test your arm against a real Pirate and show your cowardly souls."

Last edited by GeneT; 08-03-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:38 PM
Rise from the Ashes

Tools
User Statistics
Olesia Knox
left-aligned image
Olesia was not one to hold back in a fight, whether it be with a sword or her words…she was a Falchion, after all. Tenacity burned in her very soul. That’s why, waking to find herself oppressed, Olesia felt completely out of sync. Falchions are trained to fight to the death, to break chains—not wallow in them! Clearly this pirate Vixen had no idea what Eryka’s elite were truly like. Perhaps she had a vague idea, thinking of the generous pilgrims and clerics that took care of the sick and fed the poor. Eryka’s paladins, on the other hand, were not smiling, meek followers of the Light—no, they were devoted to fending off the wicked, culling darkness to the fringes of free society. This was especially true of those hailing from Patrenya, where even Eryka’s clergy of the countryside were fiercely protective of their flock.

The clash of the Vixen’s whip against the wall snatched a flinching wince from the paladin, preparing herself for the impending sting. She felt no regret, speaking Eryka’s honest truth. That was no idle threat. Merely a fact. Judging by her willingness to punish her for it, there was little doubt that there was much angst and fear among their pirate captors over the very subject. However, what Olesia did not account for was the woman’s cunning—easily ferreting out her weakness, albeit it didn’t take a genius, predictable as paladins are.

One stroke was all it took to seal her victory, recognizing straight away the all too familiar origins of the Vixen’s cruelty—that of gleeful sadism. No doubt she certainly would enjoy whipping Aria to death, at her own expense, just to bring a proud paladin to her knees in tears. She was right. It was far more painful watching it done to another, twice so for the one she had just vowed to protect.

“STOP!” Olesia spat, her mask of indifference quite visibly cracked. Paled at least a shade, shaken, a cold sweat chilled her furrowed brow. It was hard to concede anything at all to these Black Dogs of the sea, but as things were, they were helpless before them. Not only that, it was apparent that her diversion was a bust, and had soundly backfired. Escape proved difficult in their weakened state. “I’ll trouble you no longer…”

Olesia bit back her desire to say anything more, dropping her head in quiet surrender.

Rather, it should have ended at that...but then a brazen voice rang out from across the corridor--challenging the Vixen to a duel. A little smile formed on the Paladin's lips. How would the Vixen appear to her men if she were to refuse?

StatBlock

Last edited by JReid; 08-03-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:11 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Currently
Time Morning

Raven's Den Cells
right-aligned image
The woman was about to go for another round, she stops her swing surprised that the paladin broke so easily. - " Good! I'm glad we have an understanding. " She rolls the whip and give it back to her companion through the bars, takes a gag and approaches the paladin. Without particular rudeness, she makes sure Olesia is gagged properly.

The female pirate leaves the paladin's cell and lock the door behind her and approach Sayyida room calmly followed by the wicked guy that holds her whip like a dog. She bends a bit with her face between the bars to look at the Matuzalian woman. - " Thank you for your tempting offer sister, but I must decline. We already broke your face once and all your shipmates are now fish's food. If you are as pirate as you say, stop your taunting, it just makes it painful to see. You had your chance and you lost. " She takes back a straight posture, with her hands in the back. - " To your point, we both know that you are more like us than those rotten nobles. I get it you are not the same as this weakling child I just punished, won't give you the pleasure to kill you. I know the worst for you is to be tied like an animal. Enjoy! "

She turns back to face the majority of the cells. - " LISTEN UP! This is your second day as our guests. I don't care what you think. I don't care what you say. We are not stupid enough to give you a chance to escape. We might be lowlife people in the eyes of you, nobles, however here I'm the QUEEN! Don't try anything funny, keep it down, otherwise I promise you that somebody else will pay for your foolish behavior. Our employers want you all alive so play nice and you will live another day. Play stupid, you will lose some fingers and tongue and live another day anyway. It's your choice in how many pieces you want to leave that place. "

Last edited by MoonZar; 08-03-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:18 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5328
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
Sayyida lets nothing show. It was worth a chance to call this woman out, a gambit unfulfilled. But she does not bend, she simply nods her head and shrugs.

"Mark me then and take what you want," she says, showing a right hand with only four fingers. "The Wind will change. You'll feel it. Then we'll see."

Last edited by GeneT; 08-03-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:37 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16143
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
René And people think I’m odd? These women are touched in the head.

Especially the one calling out about pirates.

René, had lived his whole life on the pearly islands, and has a far gruffer concept of pirates than this would be chivalrous knight sailing the seas like Sinbad.

Who is this noble playing renegade bad girl, clearly dealing with some sort of familial abandonment by adopting a group of strangers into her life?

Playing the romanticized pirate – there are no such things, pirates steal; they maim; they kill.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of Camoryans die every year because of pirates praying on the less guarded merchant vessels, not to mention the damages done in trade. Just last spring twenty-five ships were destroyed due to pirates, crippling the outer island’s commerce while robbing hundreds of children of their parents, parents of their children’s, spouses of their better halves.

Her false bravado proves nothing, save that she has nothing worth going back to and no one waiting for her.

Its fine, we understand, you're the big bad sea witch in charge. René managed talking slowly dealing with the gag. I'm sure whoever is paying, an impressive amount - I'm sure, wouldn't want their goods damaged. You wouldn't buy a barrel of apples with a rotten one sitting on top would you? They'll quiet down and you all can go back to, I dunno, whatever you were doing five minutes ago.

René offers a smile, which comes off like some sort of twisted sneer with a gag in his mouth.

I have fallen under the weather; expect moderate delays in posting. Thank you.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:30 PM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24267
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner

Taevar heard the commotion, the broken spirits of the nobles, the whips and the petition that they didnt care what they said. So Taevar didnt merely speak.. He sang. "We've got three big boats and you got no hope. The prates said to me.

They can't take my hope and they'll hang from the rope when my father comes for me.

We've got cannons and guns and we shoot each other for fun.
The pirates said to me.

You'll drop banners and run when father comes for me.

Better eat this awful swill.
The pirares said to me.

They'll piss and he'll kill when father comes for me.

Our day is coming boys.* The tide is changing boys for they whip and they lash but they'll soon be lookin like a...

LASS!

When my father comes for me..

For we weren't born we weren't bread. We were gifted we were blessed. Galliant won't let them rest. He's my father and he comes for me.

I won't bend I wont break for the sea is his to take. My fathers comin for me."
the song was beautiful and rhythmic. A classic ditty known by any sailor who servered more than a fortnight on a ship. Feel free to join in you lot! he called to the others before singing the sailors anthem of freedom again.

oocPerformance - Sing 25

Last edited by Avner; 08-04-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:00 AM
Rise from the Ashes

Tools
User Statistics
Olesia Knox
left-aligned image
Olesia accepted the sea witch’s gag without resistance, having said enough to hopefully stir the fears of her less intelligent friends.

The paladin resigned herself to a long, awkward day ahead. If she could but reach over, Aria’s pain would be gone. The ghastly wound on her shoulder would fade away….but that small comfort wouldn’t be near enough. More and more, Olesia’s mind circled like a caged lion, thinking only of escape. The only way to atone for this was to free Aria. Free everyone holed up in this gods-forsaken prison! All she needed was an opportunity—surely everyone yearned for that as well.

When night arrives, perhaps they may have a better chance? Perhaps a more manageable scum-soul will have access to the prison keys? Meanwhile, Olesia felt the hungering glare of wolves upon her…especially Aria, her shirt quite literally in tatters, hanging off her like a precariously hung sail. Olesia lifted her head and turned to the fiendishly leering guard, whilst the Vixen was busy monologueing with the brazen one, Sadiyya Al’Hurra. Weakling child? Ha! The knight shyly gazed right back of the ugly pirate, as though she were lonesome…at the very least, wanting to interact. Hopefully a coy glance from a helpless woman is all it will take to make him drool for the dead of night—maybe even dare to steal the keys to their cell! She’d be willing to wager that at least one among them would consider betraying this so-called queen—truly, the Queen of the Damned!

Olesia turned to Aria, still silent from the beating. She probably wishes I never had woken up…for all their misfortune, Taevar began to sing. My Father Comes For Me....Does he even know? He’s probably halfway to Selarya by now…Olesia closed her eyes, never once thinking she’d ever long to see Percival’s face.

For now, all she could do was say a silent prayer…

Eryka, Breaker of Chains, forgive my ill haste. Your servant, Olesia Knox, swears to atone for the harm caused to this innocent woman. By your Just Will, please light our way, and protect our path…so that your Holy Light may sunder those who have slaughtered, without remorse, the innocent and elite of your Right Hand.

Holy Selarya, Holy Fire, I am your Holy PaladinSanctus Selarya. Sanctus Incendia. Semper Sanctus Lux.

StatBlock

Last edited by JReid; 08-04-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2646
gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha
Pacho’s glared up at the man for a second and then slumped down, letting himself hang by his chains watching the theatre play itself out. Another example of how hot blood and conviction get one killed. The foreign woman would survive, a lashing was not the worst thing that could happen to them. What were they expecting by such brazen attempts? The pirate woman was no betrayer of some ancient code of the sea, nor a merciless zealot of Xenobya, she was just doing her job, playing out her role in life like the rest of them and doing it quite well. She had ignored his bluff, stared down one of Eryka’s finest, and brought the pirate princess to heel. If Pacho ever gets out of these chains, obtaining a means to contact this woman was a must, such professional help was hard to find.

Pacho gazed over to his right, all he could see through the bar was the pointy jaw of mage bouncing up and down as he pleaded their case. The lad definitely was in tune with the situation, if not a little on the sarcastic side, but he really needed to stop smiling. It was like poetry being punctuated by stabbing a whole through the paper. “The lad speaks the truth.” Pacho said trying to keep his words as short as possible to avoid the wrath of the pirate staring at him.

To his left the sailor began to break out into defiant song. His voice carrying the rhythm of the sea into the cold dank cells, calming the blood and lifting the soul. Something they all could use at this point. Pacho did not know the words but he could feel the rhythm and began kicking so the rattle of his chains synced with the bastard’s tune.

Last edited by gotha; 08-04-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:34 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13524
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors

At Olesia's outburst Xan'cha's observant eyes slowly slide towards her and narrow. What is this foolish woman hoping to acomplish? If it is a diversion, it would help to have something to divert attention from. This is a time for patience and cunning, not rash actions. At the very least the response of the pirates has yielded information, and any information was of use. For one, she now knew who held the keys. It also seemed undeniable that the pirates were completely unaware of the shaman's abilities, and completely unaware of the presence of Ixtala. Both would come into play the moment an opening presented itself, but this impatient fool was going to ruin any chance that might arise.

The promise of punishment for Olesia's outburst is not unexpected, but when the female pirate rips the dark green sash off of Xan'cha's back her intentions are clear. Such actions are those of the coward, the sort of thing the Xul'amec are known for. But what this woman, like the Xul'amec, have yet to learn is that fear can only rule over the fearful. When the whip tears into her back there is a slight wince, but no scream, no pleas, in fact no reaction at all. For one, she will not give them the satisfaction. For another, they clearly do not know who they have. The jungles of the southern continent are not a place for the weak, even in the relative comfort of the blessed city of Matoyati. The world was still harsh and unforgiving, and precious few are the Tonali who have never known pain. Xan'cha has been bitten by jungle beasts and was once shot with a poisoned arrow fired by a Xul'amec infiltrator within the city. She survived both, and the punishment inflicted upon the would-be assassin makes this woman's attempts at inflicting pain look like a gentle tickle. As part of her own initiation as a priestess of Quetzanali she was required to endure much greater pain than this, and for a much longer period of time, so that she could understand the pain of those she would heal. A single stroke of a whip? All but nothing to her. The power of life was far greater, she could heal the wound with only a bit of concentration. But doing so would give herself away, so for now she will endure it. And so she finds the theatrics more annoying than anything else.

And then one of the men begins to sing. This the Tonali priestess clearly does not understand, both the words and the meaning. Is this another attempt at diversion? Is he trying to irritate their captors? The dark-skinned woman just watches with confusion, having no idea what his intention is. There is one thing she was certain of though - this "queen" was going to die. The only question was how, though it takes Xan'cha little effort to decide on a suitable fate. One that, for now, she will keep to herself, letting Taevar draw all of the attention.

Last edited by PalladiaMors; 08-05-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16413
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Tatsuo & Rene's CellTatsuo eyes the exchange among the other prisoners and their captors. As hard as it is to keep the (nearly pained) wince out of his face at the lady's laughable attempt at lying, it is harder still to keep veiled the flash of concern at the pirate's cruelty upon another. All the more reason to stay patient and await the window of opportunity.

On the bright side, the racket lends plenty of distraction for a certain bit of investigating. He taps a manacle softly against the to #19wall behind him in reply. Turning his head away from the hall, he adds a whisper to the mystery prisoner behind him, "Hello. Who are you?"

Last edited by dbaque; 08-04-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Currently
Time Morning

Raven's Den Cells
right-aligned image
Rita
The crude woman is satisfied that her prisoners are in check. She is about to leave when a song of defiance comes out of Taevar's cell. The song is so enthralling that one of the pirates is humming, trying to follow the words until their fearless leader throws at him arrows with those cold eyes. She points a finger toward Taevar in anger. - " You are asking for it! I told you that stupid actions would have consequences. " With haste, she walks in the corridor past the cells, toward the room in the back. Followed by the same lapdog still carrying the whip with a stupid expression, she unlocks the door and disappears Room #19inside the cell.

They can't see in that cell walled with stones, but they can hear chains and shackles, and a key shacking in a lock followed by a female prisoner voice full of fear. - " Noooo... leave me... I didn't do anything. " Their host drag a woman out of the room by her white hair, she doesn't have the strength left to fight back. She looks like a woman from Valkara, wearing a filthy noble dress, her face is terrified and she is shaking in fear. Losing her temper, the tan pirate bangs the head of the prisoner between the bars of Taevar and Pacho cells, holding her face toward them. - " Look at her, engrave her face in your memory. Her name is Rita, and she is going to die because of your stubbornness. " The tan pirate draws a knife and put it under the young woman throat, waiting for an answer. - " HELP!!! Someone! "

The other mercenaries watch with excitement, only the bearded pirate step back and keep an eye on the prisoners. Suddenly out of the blue, he screams in a confused way at René. - " What the f-up are you looking at little rat!? "

Last edited by MoonZar; 08-05-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:47 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16143
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
René Well that seems like an awful expensive lesson when you could just gag him, what’s a gag cost, a penny? Is she taking the cost of Rita’s life outta her share of the pay or everyone’s?

René knew what these brutes were after, and it was pay. Maybe they’d think twice if their finances were in trouble.

Hoping for logic to work on the inane René suddenly fines himself far closer to one of the pirates than he’d like, the smell of sweat and grog was a sickening combination.

Oh, son of a !@#$%

René freezes for a moment. He’s not a hero, he doesn’t make decisions or save damsels, he’s a bookish lordling who fritters away his time on holiday and studies the old ways, he’s no knight…

Jef would do it if he were here. But he’s not here. So it’s up to you.

Gods I need a drink.

Rolling his eyes so hard it nearly strained a muscle, the Tiny Vicomte clenches the little stick tightly letting his magical blood begin to boil. Pointing the wand towards his cellmate.

Freedom. Is. Mine!

The little vicomte whispers while staring at his cellmate.

Hoping something, anything, happens.

Click

Tatsuo’s right hand is free.
OoCCast Knock on Tatsuo's manacle, DC30 success.
DM: So far no PCs or Enemies noticed that Tatsuo has one hand free or René has a wand (Perception DC 20).

I have fallen under the weather; expect moderate delays in posting. Thank you.

Last edited by MoonZar; 08-04-2018 at 09:52 PM.