RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: I-M > MoonZar > Empire's Trials
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-29-2019, 09:13 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22681
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Currently
Date 1st of ElystryŽlle, 7453 (Winter)
Time Morning
Weather Outside -5 degres C., clear

Selarya - Den of Knowledge - Government officesIt's a pleasant morning in Selarya, a bit cold but nothing like the northern infernal winter they went through weeks ago already. This is a very large city and it takes a couple of hours on foot to reach their destination. The Den of knowledge is overrun by scholars, civil servants, students, foreign diplomats and so on. The place is dominated by the huge library of Ludya, the largest known in the world. Actually, this is divided in more than one building, this is a small town of libraries, universities, arcane schools, naval and military academies. There are about a million documents and books secured in that district. Around it, there's the embassies and government buildings. A lot of lawyers, judges, tax collectors, administrators, politicians and others work there days in nights to run the empire.

The place is overwhelming for two foreign ladies who really never navigated this city. It takes them a while to find the right building where the chancellor's office is located. The chancellor himself live in the palace with his closest collaborators, but here they will find many people working for him and some empire magistrates that are the voice of the Empire and are in charge of enforcing her will and laws. Such a person should be able to write a permit to enter the palace on behalf of the chancellor. Commoners have business in this building since there are many senior courthouses in that place that deal with the worst crimes. Shouldn't be too hard to find one of those magistrates, however security is maximum and imperial guards with clerical support are all over the place to protect them.

OOCMonk order (Gods District) - Dante, Pacho, Owen, Taevar
Erykans (Gods District) - Olesia, Tatsuo. Korag
Government buildings (Den of knowledge) - Rana, Sayyida

Last edited by MoonZar; 06-29-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:30 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16243
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Dante Dane was glad to be home. Well, home away from home. The Monastery on Mt. Jaer would always be his real home, but this was the closest heíd been in months now, and most importantly Ė it wasnít a boat.

yes Brother Liam, it is good to see you again. It has been too long.

Dante clasps the manís wrist with his hand and shakes it thoroughly.

Yes, Iíve had enough of the North, if I ever go back it will be too soon.

Dante smiles, Yes, Sir Owen, in tow, as ordered. That is why I am here; I require new orders and aid. Iíve returned with all the cargo which was requested Dante indicates to those with him, Sir Owen, Taevar, and the Code for ArmandPuppet Masterís own. There are others as well.

Dante instinctively looks around, knowing full well there could not be any unfriendlies within the walls.

We need access to the palace and have found that the original target of my journey is far reaching and more powerful than anyone estimated. Can you get a message to Jaque? And to Zarry?

Dante had much he wanted to discuss with Jaque, but he knew traveling to Mt. Jaer now was not an option, but Dante needed to communicate the danger the Legion to posed, and then find a way into the palace for the heirs.

Physically well, all caught up.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:51 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5428
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
Sayyida prepares herself for what may come. She has two rapiers, one hidden in her cloak of shifting colors, three daggers in her belt, and a crossbow across her back. She only needed the rapier, but there was no sense advertising the idea. Anyone foolish would learn soon enough the other weapons were just part of a costume. She is clean, but has discarded her fancier clothes for the utilitarian of a common mercenary. Something fitting a guard to Rana's primary disguise. Pulling the little girl aside, she tucks a smaller dagger into the girl's rope belt.

"Watch the ship" she says. "But if some should come, hide and stay hidden. Keep a bright eye an mark what they look like, but no wasting you skin for it, aye." The girl nods.

Waiting for Rana, Sayyida sits on the rail near the gang-plank cleaning residue from her new used pipe.

Last edited by GeneT; 06-30-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:34 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Currently
Time Morning

Selarya - Order of the Iron Bell- " Well done, I can't wait to hear your story and everything you learned. Did you get shy in the north? Come here! " He hugs the man and taps in his brother back. - " Certainly we can send a message through the A magical item in the shape of a giant signal horn that the monastery possesses in Selarya, Mt-Jaer also has one. This is the same as the whispering wind spell but with a longer range. It's powerful enough to send a message about 500 miles away and exchange easily short message between the two important locations.sacred wind. "

- " It will take a few days to arrange your passage in the palace and make our case. Security is tight even for friends of the empire, shouldn't be a problem to get you in with your guests who were summoned. Are you back into service my lord? " The middle-aged knight shakes his head at the negative. - " As you know the crusaders are disbanded and I'm retired. I intended to involve myself temporary and things got out of hands. As soon they are safe in the palace I will leave to younger men the fate of the empire. "

Last edited by MoonZar; 06-30-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:51 AM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5626
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
RanaWhen their outing was decided upon, Rana had chosen for herself rather muted clothing. Nothing so extraordinary as a false beard or the, by design, eye-catching robes of Madara. This time she chose to tweak her many garments into the form of noble lady's robes and her cloak taking the form of a purple hooded shawl to conceal her face. A flimsy disguise, but one necessary to ward away instant recognition. If in the government offices there was someone to trust, she would reveal herself there, after all, Sayyida put quite the amount of work into her outfit.

Rana approached her possible sister in such a guise, with a smile on her face, "I was imagining myself as the guard and you as the lead. But this works as well cousin, let us go." Her garb, all of her panoply of magical items and auras was disguised by a spell of her own to dc 22 CL, Nondetectionvoid weaker divinations.

Leading the way to the district, with her mercenary cousin by her side, Rana regretted not scheduling a visit to Al-Zuna's ziggurat, but that might come in time. Once they had arrived, the amount of guards and officials was dizzying, though, compared to the mythical-warded courts of her own Sultana, everything appeared weak and chaotic. Rana herself knows how poor of a searcher she is, she could gaze at the interior of a cupboard and find no jar of honey when it is stacked at eye level. She would leave that work to another.

Rana approaches one of the obvious guards about to place, and asks, in her changed voice, in the millionth of an off-chance the Legion has people familiar with her here of all places, "Evening, I need to schedule an appointment with the chancellor or a magistrate, is there any possibility I can get a word in today?" At her belt was a pouch of coins, if her charms did not work on someone working long hours in a stuffy bureaucrat's dream, then perhaps spreading wealth might be of greater help.

OOC

Old 07-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2646
gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha
PachoThe temple impressed him. The monks knew how to keep things inconspicuous, to any undiscerning gaze they were just another small temple like so many others littered across the God’s district, hidden under the shadows of great cathedrals.

The cutthroat entered with an inquisitive eye, it likely being the fortune of circumstances someone like him would be invited into these walls. Though even with a sharp prying stare there was little to tell it apart from any other monastery.

Pacho bowed his head respectively at the introduction then faded back into the others. They were well equipped. Pacho had to hand it to the Empress, what better way to keep fawning men in line like his father than a secret order of zealots assassin monks. His father was right, loyalty was exploitable, but he even doubted the old man would be smart enough for something like this. Pacho would have to consider starting a cult.

Pacho listened as the monks and Sir Owen spoke. Dante and the knight had earned his trust, but this man was new. If Pacho was going to entrust his life to this man he wanted to be sure he could trust him. He Sense motive nature 20+10+2(inspiration) 32listened to the monk carefully, body movement, eyes twitches, whatever the pious fellow present. None was a solid science, but it was enough to give him a feel. Pacho can find nothing suspicious about the man's behavior. He is legit, almost too legit to quit.

Last edited by gotha; 07-01-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:10 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5428
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
Sayyida's laugh rolls off her lips, round and light, and she shook her head.

"You the guard an I the wordsmith," she said looking from Rana's hips to the thin of her neck. "We'd be sure to end up bloodied, in prison, or running for our lives. An maybe all three. No, we're better off with your tongue than mine. Mine too sharp and barbed to do well in the company of those that wear their station upon their sleeves and expect others to kiss their rings. Leave the swordplay to me an I'll leave the wordplay to you.

She lets Rana down the gangplank first and follows her close, jumping the last few steps to the pier. She stood a head an a half taller than Rana, although the rest of their lines were similar, which would likely either cause them trouble or be a favor where they were headed.

"Plus, your smile is far more dazzling than mine. And you wear it more often. Mine only blossoms now and then. And usually when someone's dying at the end of my sword," she added, her eyes still laughing as it was more joking than honesty. Rana had seen her smile enough times, especially when Sayyida slept, warm with bright skin touching her own.

The pair of them walked down the pier away from the Serenity. Sayyida caught the eyes of other sailors, some she nodded to and others she held their eyes until they looked away. She could tell what was in a common sailor's heart by they way their eyes opened up to them as Rana and she walked. And she knew trouble would only come if she didn't acknowledge the fledgling thought of it in the rabble that was here and there amid the dock-men along the pier. It was best to make trouble look away and find other places to spy then let it linger without challenge. Weakness was a flower of its own kind and it attracted all sorts of insects and opportunists.

Once within sight of the Government Offices, Sayyida let Rana ahead by two steps and followed just to her left. She lifted her chin, narrowed her eyes, and made her face calm as one would expect a diligent guard of one's person. She paid little attention to clerks and attendants and more to those there to conduct business. To a few guards, she raised her eyebrows or smiled slightly in a shared vocation or comradery of the sword.

Last edited by GeneT; 07-01-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Currently
Time Morning

Selarya - Den of Knowledge - Government officesThere are many guards and official in the building, it's not too hard to find a victim for her charm. A man in the thirties with a long scar over the left cheek. She is not sure of his rank, little knowledgeable in Selaryan military, but he's not a common soldier for sure. He greets her with a smile. - " Good morning, the chancelor lives in the palace and rarely leave his office there. There are three Chancelors working here, you can take an appointment with their chief secretary. The nearest one is on the next floor. " That place is very organized, however for someone who is not a bureaucrat it sounds like a madhouse. - " May I ask the reason you need to meet such a high ranking official? There's many people here of more humble position that may help. " Sayyida looks around, ready for anything.

Last edited by MoonZar; 07-01-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:49 PM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
RanaWith Sayyida's jokes and flirtations fresh in her mind, it was difficult for Rana not to smile. She rests one hand on her hip, "The piint of a disguise is to be unassuming. I do not believe the muscular behind of a goddess, norgreat heights is the prequisite to be a guard. But an effective, if bot attractive one you make, cousin." She bows her head an differs to Sayyida's judgement on the distance between them.

Though this is her fourth time this journey, moving about cities and the lower class is a foreign feeling to her, even in Birone, the city of her birth. The feeling of having to protect your pockets and watch out for killers about every corner, once more, even in Birone, is something she likely could not manage without Sayyida by her side. The court was a dance with words and flattery, while the military that her supposedly adoptive father was apart of dealt in a dance of blades. But out here, in a city of strangers at best, and aspiring assassins at worst, it was naught more than chaos and noise Rana could only shut herself away from to feel comfortable in her journey.

Greeting scarred man with the very same smile earned from leaving the ship upon her lips, gathering info wasn't quite an issue. Rana had clutched her robes tighter about her person as she conversed, "While I am not permitted to breach specifics. I represent a person foreign to Selaryia proper. They are to announce themselves due to an invitation for the reading of the Empress' will."

Rana pauses to glance aside, then back at the guard, "Between you and I, there was rumor of pirates and other unsavory sort seeking the heads of those addressed. The one I work for is of the paranoid sort and wishes to know any arrangements to make before going public." She wasn't outright lying, there were pirates and unsavory sorts seeking her head, she has been feeling paranoid, and this guise, among many, represent her, specifically Rana's own aspirations. She is glad though, that she is wearing a hood, recently she has subtle suspicions that she shouldn't be behaving so comfortably with other people right before her cousin. At the very least, it seems impolite, but she dares not ask specifics on how Sayyida feels about exclusivity on her smile of all things.

Last edited by Vaerdis; 07-02-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16413
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Tatsuo - Cathedral of Saint-AdeleryannaHis father's piety previously took the mystic spy on pilgrimage once to Selarya when he was young. The splendor of the cathedral exceeds his memory from so long ago. Moving in rather elite noble circles, he has been privy to plenty of elaborate rites in honor of the Selaryan patroness. However, in the heart of the city, the morning service brooked no equal.

Tatsuo leaves the initial efforts to the more versed Olesia, as well as the first exchanges. While Olesia vouched pretty glowingly for the high priest, Tatsuo regards the man Take 10 on Perception/Sense Motive: 21.
If something suspicious, he stops obviously.
warily all the same. It is too reflexive for the mystic spy.

Bowing reverently to the venerable cleric, Tatsuo's guise melts away. His usual smile wanes into a professional mien. Olesia lays out the bulk of their conundrum, but noticeably, it does not supply why help and secrecy now. Tatsuo adds Take 10 on Diplomacy: 29.smoothly, "Thank you for your indulgence, ghostly father. Lady Olesia speaks aptly. What further brings us to you and in these cloaks of secrecy rather than presenting to the chancellery ... it was not ill fortune that had us waylaid. We confronted those who hunt us before we fled. We were unsuccessfully ambushed again on our way hither, of which, we bear some written corroboration. We have reason that those behind the pirates lie in wait for us still here, and we know not whom or how much to trust to escape their eyes. Hence, we come to the succor of Holy Eryka's faithful to slip beneath our pursuers' gaze."

Old 07-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Currently
Time Morning

Selarya - Den of Knowledge - Government officesThe Empress' will matter definitely catches his attention. - " This definitely over my pay grade. If your employer is in danger, reaching out to the bureaucrats might only expose him even with our best of intentions, there are too many people involved here to keep a secret. " He seems to go beyond what he's supposed to do as a guard. - " If I were in that situation, I would ask asylum to the clergy of Eryka. A knight told me that they are the one who are guarding the Empress' will until the people summoned by the Chancellor show up. There's no way a bunch of pirates will take on the clergy, if they do they will just make a too much powerful enemy. "

Last edited by MoonZar; 07-02-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:53 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16243
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Dante I spent months on a pirate ship Liam, shy doesnít begin to describe it. You wouldnít believe the smells Iíve smelled.

Dante smiles, as he considers his options.

I would like to commune with the mount as soon as possible, I need to speak with Jaque.

Dante fishes around in his pocket, looking for the small golden scarab.

And can you do me a personal favor? I doubt Iíll be able to make a pilgramige anytime soon, can you see that Balthasar gets this?

Dante places the expensive golden trinket into the other monkís hand.

A trinket from one of our would be hunters Ė from Imadyr no less. Put it down like the dog it was.

Physically well, all caught up.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:09 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Currently
Time Morning

Selarya - Cathedral of Saint-AdeleryannaClosing his old eyes he listens carefully to what else they have to say, sitting at the edge of one of the chapel bench. He whispers a Spellcraft DC 19 = Sendingfew prayers before answering. - " You are safe now and under my protection, no one will dare attack a guest within those walls. Never happened on my watch. " He stands slowly, with the weight of the years on his back. - " There's a gate here that leads to the That's the cathedral in the palace districthall of roses, that should go smoothly. Follow me. " The dwarf is surprised that the old man is ready to take them there. - " We have friends that are in the city, can't we fetch them first? " The old cleric stop his pace. - " That would be ill-advised to leave if you think assassins are looking for you, I can send people to find them if you provide their location and description, the priority should be your safety for now. "

Last edited by MoonZar; 07-02-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:48 AM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
Rana"Most troubling." Rana quietly muses, lightly touching her lower lip to express shallow thought. She upturns her eyes at the man that volunteered this information, "And most appreciated. I do know this might be troublesome to ask. However..." She pauses, her lips form a thin line as she pretends to look grim or otherwise distressed. She murmurs softly to the man, "I would be remiss in my duties if I did not ask, but is there a way for the one I labor for, is there a way to pass a message onto the Chancellor?"

After whatever news, for weal or woe, Rana bows her head in gratitude and turns away, as if dismissed from providing her entreaty to the civil laborers. She crosses her hands behind her back once she returned to Sayyida's side. She whispers to her cousin, "How think you of our chances with the Erkyans? I am sorry that I have wasted our time alone on an attempt in vain." She gives her an apologetic smile before briefly discussing their next move.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2646
gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha
PachoPacho listened quietly for the monk to catch up with his old friend, even the vague mention of home seemed to fill Dante’s face with a joy absent for most of the journey. Pacho felt it best to give the man his due.

Hewas happy they found access but did not like the time frame. A few days was a long wait, and as scenic as the view was the cutthroat was not a man of quiet contemplation. Hopefully the others fared better, something they could discuss later. Now though Pacho had some burning questioned he hoped the monks could answer. When a long enough pause in the conversation came the turncoat politely interjected.

"I cannot thank you enough for your kindness. I am sorry but I must burden you with some questions of our own." Pacho gaze turned quickly to his party members and back to the monk.

"What is the situation in the capitol with the will and heirs? Who can we trust and who has been compromised the Erykans, the spymaster the chancellor?" Pacho doubted they would trust him with what they had on his father, but given the situation it couldn’t hurt to ask. He waited for the monk to answer and followed up with specifics.

"Also do the names Mortiana Carr or Agata Cotton mean anything to you? As of now they are the only faces we have of the legion" Pacho asked hoping the names might spark a new lead.

Last edited by gotha; 07-03-2019 at 09:10 AM.