RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: I-M > MoonZar > Empire's Trials
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-11-2019, 10:05 PM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5626
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
MadaraMadara holds her chin, slightly rubbing it in some thought, responding again, "An hourglass? Why are you confused when I am the one questioning?" She points her fan toward Elizabeth, "If that is the case, then what is the relationship between fire and an hourglass? I have half a mind that I have wandered into a noble's parlor as their guest entertains them with a game of riddles."

Old 08-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22681
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Currently
Date 4th of Elystryëlle, 7453 (Winter)
Time Morning
Weather Outside -8 degres C., Snow Flurry

Sayyida & RanaWith her dry eyes, she wonders what Madela is talking about. - " Confused? Excuse an old woman's nonsense. I'm tired and I think I should rest. " The dwarf almost chokes on his beard. - " That's it? What the heck was that??? We said that we are looking for the elder elementals sanctum. " He begins to lose patience, making Elizabeth intervene. - " I apologize mother, but you were speaking in riddle and mentioned an hourglass and fire. Does it mean anything to you? " The old lady eyes are empty, looking in the void as if her brain just shut down. - " No... I... don't remember. I only know it's under the Ziggurat. " Elizabeth takes a long breath and smiles. - " Thank you for your help, shall we ask somebody else Lady Madela? "

Last edited by MoonZar; 08-18-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:57 AM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
MadaraMadara lets out a brief, derisive snort from beneath her hooded veil at the elder woman's behavior. She taps her fan against her chin a couple of times as her companion spoke, "Thank you priestess. Get yourself some rest." She nods in such a way to guide Sayyida, Korag and Elizabeth away, "No need. The woman was obviously possessed, by divine or arcane means, I care not what. The priest said, 'under the ziggurat' there we shall go." She chuckles to herself softly, "We have time to burn after all. Come, let us take a walk."

Turning on her heel, causing her skirts to pick up and her cloak to take on wind, all this shifting cloth rests. Madara then leads her trio of companions toward any possible way down within the ziggurat, if not, then she guides them around the base of the ziggurat for an alternate route.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:53 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Currently
Time Morning

Pacho and Dante- " I will stay a moment in the war room if you don't mind. " Taevar nods at Pacho as to say that he got this while the vixen blue eyes stare at one book. - " Go ahead guys, I'm sticking around here as well. Those documents are fascinating. " They both know the bard long enough to know that war stuff is not his forte, he's probably looking into keeping an eye on the princess.

There are several key areas on the upper floor. The empress master bedroom is mighty as expected, dominated by an oversized Knowledge history or local DC 20 reveal that the empress slew that monster, it was a black dragon named Moriatrix who lived nearly 1000 years old. dragon’s skull that was recycled as a baldaquin bed large enough to fit an ogre. The two long curved horns on the beast's head extend shadows all over the room. On the right side of the bed, there's a white smilodon pelt where the empress feet step on first each morning. There's an immense walk-in larger than any of the visitor bedrooms at home full of dress, shoes, hats, and so on. All the jewelry are still in the room but locked in several small chests of drawers with Protected by strong abjurationdelicate locks. There's nothing unusual in the bedroom except a lot of luxury.

The library contains hundreds of rare religious and cult books, in particular about the soul and the extraplanar world where they travel. Of course, there are books from Nanyl and Xydanyël religions in particular. There's also an impressive collection of war book from famous generals and philosopher that lived in different ages. Strangely, there's a lot of references about disease, curse and natural plague with a lot of scrolls with notes about it. She was doing research about a rare Matuzalian disease call the Knowledge Arcana DC 30 or Healing DC 20Desert Leprosy. There are two desks in front of each other where she worked tirelessly judging by all the candle wax all over the please that weren't cleaned.

The empress office has a lot of tall windows revealing a breathtaking view of the city. From the point of view of the large desk, one could spend hours to admire the wonderful holy capital. The protected by strong abjurationdrawers are locked in that desk, judging by the scratches on the lock this was opened often. There are several letters properly organized about the affair of states on the furniture. The place is decorated with more weapons and armour that served in real battles, none are magical. Probably that the empress magical gear is somewhere else like the vault. There is a large family painting of the empress with her sister the queen of Patrenia and her family. Princess Aurelia is in there smiling, but she is much younger.

Last edited by MoonZar; 08-20-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:06 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Currently
Time Morning

RanaVery slowly the old lady leave and the party continue their exploration of the holy ziggurat. They find what appears to be the last floor. Two rare young male disciples are cleaning up the beautiful mosaic from the floor. Wearing orange outfits, they are probably students who are learning the ways of Al-Zuna. There's a visitor out of place that is walking around with his hands join in his back, he nods at the group that just entered. Rana recognizes the armour, it's very similar to those goons that were following priestess Mortiana Carr in the north. Either he's from the same squad or he acquired the armor from the same armourer. he has a large sword at his side, he must be some kind of veteran warrior, yet there's no heraldry or crest that give away some hint of who he's. The room is oval, and there's a dozen of alcoves with a bronze brazier burning at low light in each. - " So... last floor, this place is huge! It would take forever if we would be allowed to explore all the cleric quarters. Speaking of which, we only saw a handfull of them. That's odd. "

Old 08-20-2019, 06:26 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16243
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Dante Dante took his time exploring the upper chambers of the former Empress’ Keep. There was much to see, to feel, to smell, to touch, to experience. The others would not doubt do well at collecting information. Information wasn’t what Dante hunted for – he hunted people, and people were predictable.

Flipped through a few pages of the book on the strange Matuzalian disease.

Leprosy, hmm? Could explain this insane witch hunt, though I doubt a cure would be beyond her power or wealth… A friend perhaps? Or something haunting her from her past? Not to self, find out about Empress’ time in Matuzalia, especially before the coronation.

Looking at the candle wax, Dante absent mindedly peels some of it off the desk, rubbing its smooth wax between his finger. She still read at night – her eyesight wasn’t affected. Keep your eyes out for a map with specific details of that wretched desert.

Moving into the office Dante continues his almost, lackadaisical walk through the premises. This time he stops and has a seat in the desk chair, kicking his feet up onto the desk, looking out the windows. Dante whistles as he watches the Empire carry on in the absence of its leader – like a clockwork sputtering along, desperately trying to continue knowing that sooner or later, it would run out of fuel.

Dante doesn’t mess with the locked drawers, not his concern. The Empress was entitled to her privacy, even if she did leave them and the empire in a mess. Odd that she would have this view and use the desk in the library more than this one, the natural light alone made it the obvious choice.

What was it? Guilt? Shame? A knowledge that she would put the future of the empire and the lives of all these people in the hands of a dark and twisted game?

Dante sat in thought for a bit, before his eyes drifted to the painting overlooking the room. This was the first familial object Dante had taken note of – and oddity, and therefore, a curiosity.

Standing to inspect he painting Dante runs a hand along the frame before smelling the deep oily smell of paint on canvas. Lifting the painting Dante spins it around running his hand along the area between frame and canvas.

People hide important things in paintings, if you only knew where to look.

Not valuables, or money, or gems – no. Things of real importance.

Love letters, an adulterous handkerchief, a locket of hair from their first or only love. Once Dante had even found the key to a woman’s childhood diary.

Now THAT had been an enlightening read – the woman’s love of smelling wildflowers had been put to excellent use. It also made Dante vow to never raise a girl.

Dante hoped to find something just as useful to him – something to make him feel the Empress.

Physically well, all caught up.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16413
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
TatsuoThe spy lets out a long suffering sigh. "Alas, no pious deed goes unpunished." Puzzlement dances across his face. "That was no small time ago, Gilbert. I assume that you asked the chancery for a pass to leave at one point? Is there such a backlog of requests to leave the rose district?" He laughs sympathetically, "If I had to weather that, I might have joined the poor sod there in his cups."

Old 08-20-2019, 09:05 PM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
MadaraSpotting the armored man, Rana can only imagine one party involved, 'The legion.' Obviously Sayyida did the spotting. Madara raised her hand slightly, addressing her three companions, "I have something that needs doing for a moment. I shall be close by. Don't wait on me, analyze the alcoves with braziers for an hour glass or a similar symbol. Keep an eye upon this room, for a diamond made of magical red lights. If you see that, come immediately. Until then, be scarce." She covers her lips with a fan, then gives Elizabeth and all a dismissive wave.

Madara then walks in the direction of the armored visitor, but not on a direct course. When she gets close enough to the man, Madara speaks aloud, addressing him without looking his way, "You weren't at the docks. 'They' are losing faith in your kind to carry out your mission appropriately." She only leaves a small pause for him to make a brief response, but she resumes speaking, not letting him control the conversation, "The heirs have slipped past the grasp of you people time and time again. First the pirates couldn't handle some silver spoons being held in custody in the most inhospitable territory in the region, next those assassins...I couldn't have disapproved more of trusting those Imadyr. But at the last leg of their journey, the simplest thing to do was to wait at the docks with our arms wide open, and that could not have been done. And what are you doing now? Guarding a rumor likely on Cotton's word...even she has people to answer to. What is the progress on infiltrating the palace?"

OOCHoping Madara can bluff her way through subverting this guy, if he does work for who we believe he does.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2646
gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha
PachoThe turncoat seemed impervious to the beauty and elegance around him as he moved briskly, the spell not granting him the leisurely pace of the others. His eyes glowed as they glided about the room noting the energies and their origins, mostly locked drawers and chests, things to come back to later.

He stopped for a second, amused by the cute girl in the picture, a far cry from the priestess of war beside him. For most though, those were simpler times.

The desert disease grabbed his attention for a second, seemingly an odd thing to be obsessed over, perhaps connected to her search for immortality, war, death and the macabre the Empress seemed to fret over in her last days. He pondered on the issue for a second. His mind though drew mostly blanks and wild hypotheticals. He did not have time to think now though and put the issue in the back of his mind and moved on.

He nodded and bowed properly to the princess as she waved him on. Pacho wondered if it was the mission of political intrigue and secrets that grabbed her attention. The infiltrator was beginning to regret not fighting more to keep Tatsuo along, the man would be of great use right now. As he left Pacho shot Teaver a look of good luck and continued to the next room.

Last edited by gotha; 08-21-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:03 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Currently
Time Morning

Pacho and DanteSitting on the leather chair of the office feels like being a king on a throne, with all the busy subjects in the streets of the city big like ants through the windows. The place is very clean, this office has not been used for a while. The painting is large, but not a problem for Dante to spin it around, behind it he Take 20 I supposefinds the desk keys hidden in the frame. Doesn't seems like the Empress was very worried that someone could force open the main gate her lair and find those or maybe that was left there on purpose. He will probably never know.

Pacho's investigation lead him to look more in details about the Desert Leprosy. A quick look reveal that the Empress was sick since a decade. It doesn't say where she got this, but she refers to it as a Genie magical curse, not a natural disease. It will take 1d4 days, take-20days to go over her research. That might explain why she died at the relatively young age of 50 years old, and indeed could be linked to her obsession with religions, death and the afterlife.

Last edited by MoonZar; 08-21-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:11 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Currently
Time Morning

Tatsuo- " I was refused a pass to leave. Those are restricted to a few nobles as far as I know. We are stuck in this palace. " He lifts his shoulders. - " Yes, at this point better get drunk hahaha. "

Last edited by MoonZar; 08-21-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16413
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
TatsuoTatsuo whistles softly, "Really? That sounds rough." He leans back against the bars and turns his face away from the guards' view. The spy asks softly, "Speaking purely hypothetically ... if I could get you a pass, what say you? And what would await you outside the Rose District?"

OOCIs the drunkard within arm's reach of Tatsuo's cell? By now, I know better than to overlook sods from you, MZ.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:23 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2646
gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha
PachoThe glow in the cutthroat’s eyes begins to fade as he returns to the office, his gaze catching Dante’s discovery of the key as he enters.

"There is magic radiating from the desk that might be of interest." Pacho says as he makes his way back over to the papers regarding the disease. He scatters them across the table, giving each a quick glance and biting his lower lip. What was the Empress getting at with this, was this what killed her or is there something more to it.

"It will take me days to go through these. Might be best to inquire with the healer and see what they know." he says, his voice frustrated as he contemplated the delay. He prided himself on knowing things, and inability to comprehend the queens research frustrated him.

Last edited by MoonZar; 08-28-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:47 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16243
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Dante Dante was a tad disappointed when he found the keys lodged behind the painting. He had had no doubts that his intuition would pay off, but he had wanted something dirtier... more scandalous.

But these would have to do.

Walking back over to the desk, Dante did his best to check the drawer for traps, though it wasn't his area of expertise, he was fairly certain opening the drawer wouldn't kill him.

Gently sliding the key into the keyhole, he waits for the audible click, and turns the tumblers into place, gently sliding the drawer open.

Physically well, all caught up.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Currently
Time Morning

Pacho and Dante
right-aligned image
Jar
The lock mechanism click several times which indicates that it was probably trapped, and the drawer unlocked. Inside is nothing out of the ordinary, an old Appraise DC 25Matuzalian's jar nicely decorated with a Cursed - Touch and suffer my wrath!note attached to it. There's a pile of letters, many are affairs of state, some personal but irrelevant. Linguistic DC 30 - spells won't workTwo recent pages are coded and standout in the lot.

Last edited by MoonZar; 09-02-2019 at 10:25 PM.