RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-14-2019, 03:18 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1129
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Yeah...a stun only laser is weird.

I can accept comic book logic, but only up to a point, ya know? There has to be a certain point of physical consistency or it loses that essential piece of disbelief suspension.

The Shapeshift is of course a sort of 'illusion disguise,' and yeah that and the invisibility are fun abilities. Lots of potential for mischief.

And you're sorta correct about being concerned that she's not 'entirely' a hero. I envisioned her as being someone who is on a path to learning to be a hero, but doesn't necessarily start out already there.

So again, this may not be the right venue for her. I have another character I was developing in parallel I can submit in her place. Should be a smoother fit.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:20 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 68
Komaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroFan View Post
Love the background! Hm...that Damage Shield slot costs just 1 Endurance to maintain though. I will tentatively accept it depending on whether it seems abusive in play. Please add Code Against Killing. Also just to make sure we're on the same page, the special sense doesn't seem to be bought to provide much in the way of detail about any physical objects that are detected using it. Is that how you are expecting it to work? "Something is behind the door."?
I thought the damage shield was 2 END per turn. Same issue though - it's a power she can keep up most/all of a battle (though it precludes using her big blast).

For the sense, I just copied the way Spatial Awareness is in 6e, but made it active instead of passive. So, I'd expect it to be able to sense shapes. But, now that you mention it, the sense is about detecting the differences in electrical properties, so should be able to tell the difference between a dummy and a person. It should probably have the Discriminatory adder too.
Also, since it's not intended to be something she's doing all the time, it should have the 'Non-Persistent' limitation. How about we replace the concentration lim with Non-Persistent.
I see using the sense in a couple different ways: In combat, to be able to fight when sight isn't an option (blinded, or in the dark). Out of combat, to sense through walls, such as to sense whether those scary creaking floorboards in the hallway are due to monsters, or just the house settling, as she tries to sleep after watching a horror movie.

Put her down for a moderate Code Vs Killing [She has other Complications that already would stop her from killing people, so it may not be fair to get points for this one]

Other tweaks to the draft:
Damage Negation seems a bit complicated to implement, so I'm fine just converting those points to a straight resistant ED vs Electrical Attacks. Also, I guessed at the limitation value - I don't know whether electrical damage will ever come up or not, so only you can assign a reasonable limitation value for the 'vs electrical damage only' lim.

The Body armor (5/5) OIF for 10 real points.
Famous and Subject to Orders complications
Additional unpublished complications 20-25 pts

Once you put her in Hero Designer, if there are points left over, please bump up her Con to a 15. With only a 10, plus low defenses, she's gonna be stunned by a stiff breeze.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:25 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Hm, actually, now that I think of it, I have an idea for an 'elemental' character too.

Using Multiform to create an elementally themed set of powers. Fire, air, water, earth, etc... Can shift between modes, sorta.

The alternative would be something like this:

With the 'youth' complication swapped for Code vs Killing. This is very old now, so it needs updating, but it shows what I'm thinking powerwise.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:34 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1778
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komaru View Post
I thought the damage shield was 2 END per turn. Same issue though - it's a power she can keep up most/all of a battle (though it precludes using her big blast).

For the sense, I just copied the way Spatial Awareness is in 6e, but made it active instead of passive. So, I'd expect it to be able to sense shapes. But, now that you mention it, the sense is about detecting the differences in electrical properties, so should be able to tell the difference between a dummy and a person. It should probably have the Discriminatory adder too.
Also, since it's not intended to be something she's doing all the time, it should have the 'Non-Persistent' limitation. How about we replace the concentration lim with Non-Persistent.
I see using the sense in a couple different ways: In combat, to be able to fight when sight isn't an option (blinded, or in the dark). Out of combat, to sense through walls, such as to sense whether those scary creaking floorboards in the hallway are due to monsters, or just the house settling, as she tries to sleep after watching a horror movie.

Put her down for a moderate Code Vs Killing [She has other Complications that already would stop her from killing people, so it may not be fair to get points for this one]

Other tweaks to the draft:
Damage Negation seems a bit complicated to implement, so I'm fine just converting those points to a straight resistant ED vs Electrical Attacks. Also, I guessed at the limitation value - I don't know whether electrical damage will ever come up or not, so only you can assign a reasonable limitation value for the 'vs electrical damage only' lim.

The Body armor (5/5) OIF for 10 real points.
Famous and Subject to Orders complications
Additional unpublished complications 20-25 pts

Once you put her in Hero Designer, if there are points left over, please bump up her Con to a 15. With only a 10, plus low defenses, she's gonna be stunned by a stiff breeze.
Sounds good! Thanks for dropping the damage negation for straight forward defense, that is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
Hm, actually, now that I think of it, I have an idea for an 'elemental' character too.

Using Multiform to create an elementally themed set of powers. Fire, air, water, earth, etc... Can shift between modes, sorta.

The alternative would be something like this:

With the 'youth' complication swapped for Code vs Killing. This is very old now, so it needs updating, but it shows what I'm thinking powerwise.
I like the alternative to multiform! Having both attack and defense in the multipower is a little bit of an issue, barrier being the one thing to drop or move out of the mp, and maybe buy later with experience.

The main thing though is the background; that's what I would like to see now, the write up looks good!
Old 08-14-2019, 03:39 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Barrier may not be the problem you think though...because the Duration of Barrier is Instantaneous. Which means that once the Barrier is created, the Multipower can be shifted and not cause it to vanish. It is Dismissable, but that doesn't change its duration, it just gives me the ability voluntarily cause it to vanish (something not normally possible).

Plus, the Barrier isn't envisioned as my principle defense. You'll notice this build has a decent PD/ED, unlike Kitsune. She can take a hit without Barrier. The Barrier is more like...an extra layer of defense, and one that can be projected to help shield innocents as well.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:54 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 486
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Quote:
The general write up seems okay. I will put it into Hero Designer to check it out thoroughly. I would like you to drop the killing attack. And add a Code Against Killing. With a 45 Strength, the killing attack is not necessary and will kill people.
Will do.

Quote:
My only real problem is that the premise of the character's main motive being political is just not something that I want to spend the game energy and time on. I just don't want to run a game that focuses at all on the political scene as anything more than a backdrop. I recognize that it's a valid and even interesting idea to play out, but I don't want to do it in my game.
I get the feeling that we have different definitions of 'political'. For example, Tempo is strongly aligned with the U.S military. His background and goals are extremely political. And yet, you don't seem to have a problem with that. Is there something I'm missing here?

Like it or not, politics will inevitably be part of this game. It's about teenagers gaining superpowers in a post-9/11 world. I completely understand why you don't want them running for office, or inciting a revolution. But politics is in everything. Should the PCs catch a thief who's stealing to feed their family? What do they do when the police shoot yet another unarmed civilian? How will they react when people with conflicting desires petition them for help? Each PC will have their own answers to dilemmas like these. That's what roleplaying is all about.

I've severely toned down Bright's ambitions, so as not to distract from your story. And if you don't want her fanbase to play a major role, then that's fine too. But asking a superhero to avoid politics is like asking a fish to avoid water. They're surrounded by it.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:51 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3822
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
OK I updated the images that were not showing and they now work. Everything is located inside my original Character post. https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...73#post8490673

Last edited by JaredSyn; 08-14-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10646
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Answers to GM questions along with further detail about character.

Quote:
I really like the Complication about being determined to fight crime. I would like to learn a little bit more about why that is her motivation in her background. Did she have an "Uncle Ben" experience ala Spider-Man? Did she have a friend forced to join a gang and get killed or just get killed in a random gang drive-by shooting as an innocent bystander? Maybe some kind of indication of what kind of crime, in particular, is she determined to fight, and why?
I didn't add these details as I didn't want to "over do" her application/history. Now that you've asked...
This springs from her highly competitive nature, and love of "the game." Though some might say she was 'groomed' to be an athlete due to her ability to play baseball very well, it's actually part of who she is, her psyche. With playing baseball on the ultimate stage - pro - no longer being available to her, this want, this need, this... drive is just continuing to manifest itself in who she really is. Or, you could say in who she sees herself as. She wrestled with it for a while, but has fully embraced her powers and is committed to being the best super hero she can be. She'll be somewhat humble when receiving accolades, but truth be told, some of it will be false humility and she'll have no problem being in the limelight.

Quote:
I am wondering about Code Against Killing only being for 5 points. That could indicate that it just very rarely comes up, but for someone whose main power to explode things, it seems to indicate that it just isn't that big a concern for her? Please describe where the Code Against Killing comes from in the background too.
"I took this from the book and examples in the book. The 5 points is only that it's uncommon, not that she isn't concerned with it.

Quote:
Also, where did she get the armor from?
I was going to have his be a product of teaming up with the others, but if the game will start before this happens, I can add how she got it. Maybe she befriended Dynamo and got a set of armor from her?

Quote:
The Multi-Power is good, with just variations on her ability to energy blast and not a bunch of different power types thrown in for "efficiency", thanks for that!
Indeed. I wanted her power to be centralized, and I think I might still tweak it a bit. It'll be slight, for example, I'd like for it to have the appearance of a baseball forming in her hand with green fire around it, the color of her eyes and the Flame in NYC. It won't do anything other than be for effect.

Quote:
That said, I am going to ask you to bite the bullet and replace the explosion mechanic with the full point "Area Effect" instead. Basically, I don't want the extra math of subtracting damage for each hex complicating my combats.
Wow. That's a big area. I tweaked her sheet some more last night, and I'll make the explosion changes today if possible, and if not, tonight then.

Question: I didn't add Secret Identity, as she wouldn't want her identity to be hidden, but is that in contrast, or conflict with having a Dependent NPC? I don't think so, but wanted your take on it.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 08-14-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7378
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
Quote:
Wow, nice background! That's the kind that makes me as GM want to fill in and support the story! Okay, so a few questions in no particular order: 1) Do you picture her working for the government in some kind of secret agency? 2) She has a human form and a kind of monster with wings and scales form that is invisible to electronic detection? And can be in at least large and super Grande size? That's doable, and I would be happy to write up a draft in game terms for you to give feedback as to whether it's in line with your concept...though the points will be interesting and may require that some of it is stuff she develops later with experience points.
Thank you! I've found it's best for me to write the background to get a feeling for the character before building. To answer your questions;

1. Yes, I was thinking she worked for some sort of super-secret agency (no pun intended), perhaps one that was formed when the towers disappeared and is prepareing for an eventual invasion. Of course, what she believes the agency to be and what it is could be two different things.

2. Sounds about right, plus I see her being able to sense the green fire enrgy from the pillar and anything that might contain some, use it, etc. I was thinking she was a low-level super in her human form but when she changes she really powers up. I wasn't sure if this would be a good use for Multiform or not so any help, suggestions, draft, etc. would be appreciated. I have in the background her eating afterwards and I think there is a limitation about END use.

I'm still reading the mechanics but I grabbed the two book set for the full 6th edition. Much better than the Complete Champions that leaves some stuff out.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:54 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 282
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
... but I grabbed the two book set for the full 6th edition. Much better than the Complete Champions that leaves some stuff out.
Yes, I keep telling that to everyone who asks this question. The Full Rules are so much more detailed than Champions Complete. But, alas, everyone has to experience it for themselves. =)

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 08-14-2019, 11:59 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3822
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
I have Champions Complete PDF and Champions 6E PDF that is what I have been using.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7378
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKinister View Post
Yes, I keep telling that to everyone who asks this question. The Full Rules are so much more detailed than Champions Complete. But, alas, everyone has to experience it for themselves. =)
Haha, guilty.

Just a general thought/question for my character's alternate form. One way is she transforms into it but another idea is that she summons/merges with it from somewhere else. If the latter then perhaps it is immense normally but she can only summon so much and it is limited in size. This could also explain the invisibility to cameras if the summoning is creating an invisible aura while it is summoned that messes with the recordings.

Sorry, random musings....
Old 08-14-2019, 12:39 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Just realized we don't have a psychic! This must not stand! This replaces Kitsune, who was unsuitable for the game.

Name: Squidge
Super Name: Also Squidge

Value: 250

Personality
Easygoing, laid back, convivial; with occasional almost manic bursts of inspiration as an idea or realization seizes her. Squidge likes people, despite what one might think about someone who can read minds. She can see the ugliness, the ignorance, but can also see deeper, to the places where we are as much victim of our vices as perpetrators of them. She loves the quirks, the neuroses, the little things that set each person apart from the other...finding an odd kind of beauty in how such variety can spring from so common origins. There's always a distance between her and others as well though; she admires people from afar...meddling when she thinks she can help, but avoiding deeper relationships.

Backstory
Squidge has only vague memories of the time before everything broke. She thinks she was happy a lot. Life seemed pretty good, broadly speaking. Then chaos intruded. The house was broken into, people from the doors, and some of the windows. Parents screaming in fear, scrambling to defend themselves and her. She remembers the intruders as darkly dressed, and she couldn't see their faces...but she was young. Too young to really grasp what she was seeing. Too scared. Too long ago. The only mind she can't read is her own.

That was the moment, she recalls, when her ability exploded. The feeling of pain all around her. The danger. The panic. Too much. A child, with a child's lack of restraint, suddenly equipped with this power. Still not enough to save her parents. Definitely enough to save herself. She left behind a house that had been virtually torn apart, and what was left consumed by flames from torn electrical conduits. Of the attackers...best not to think of that.

Traumatized, she simply ran and hid for a time. Most of her powers she repressed, wanting nothing more to do with them. The power to listen though...that one she had little control over at first. And it helped. It helped in more ways than one. Listening to the murmurs people didn't say warned her of danger. It told her who would help her too. As she learned to listen more, listen deeper, she started seeing past the respectable disguises to the uglier layer beneath...but then also past that to the frightened cores that were just trying to protect themselves. There were resonances, Squidge realized, to people. Even small things could bounce back and forth in their minds, and change things. A kindness or cruelty now could reverberate into the future.

She could help. That one idea was a lodestone. Making even one person's life even a little bit better helped. It all played forward.

And as long as she was helping, she didn't have to hide. As long as she was helping, she didn't have to think about the bad things that had happened. It could be okay again. She could be okay again.

Last edited by SalmonMax; 08-14-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:36 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 375
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
I am going to back out my application for this game.

I was accepted into another game that looks like it might require more of my free-time than I originally had expected. This will also give others a chance to experience you as a GM and the wonderful Hero System.

I look forward to seeing what you throw at me in the MHI game.

Good luck with this game.
1 Peter 1:13-16
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by Kenjitsu; 08-14-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10646
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Is there a "cut-off" date for when applications will no longer be accepted?
Just wondering how far out I need to set my expectations.
Thx.