Old 08-12-2019, 08:53 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4922
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
Hey there, Tyeal. I’m super interested in applying to this game. I’ve got an idea for a sorcerer focused on a light/color theme. But I wanted to check a few things.

How familiar do we need to be with the forgotten realms? I’ve read some Salvatore and played the Baldur’s Gate games. But I’m far from expert.

You say you’re interested in telling a story with flawed characters. How flawed/ what kind of flaws are you thinking? I’m just wondering how grim-dark you want to go so I can craft my application appropriately.
'Flawed' doesn't necessarily mean 'grim-dark'. If I was going for grim-dark I would've made mention of going for that tone. I mean flawed as in heroes losing sight of their goal because of their selfish desires, striving to obtain power but maybe losing a part of themselves along the way, potentially upsetting a delicate balance to bring back a lost love. Y'know tried and true fantasy goodness ^^

You don't need any deep knowledge of the Forgotten Realms to play! Any lore you'll need will be provided by me. As well as any good History checks.

Last edited by Tyeal; 08-12-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 427
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
you have me marked as WIP; but looking at the application template, I don't see what I am missing. Please advise how I can fine tune it for you
Old 08-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 611
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Marcus Bolrek Complete Application
Name: Marcus Bolrek
Race: Human Variant (Feat: Magic Initiate (Warlock))
Class: Monk
Background: Urchin
Personality trait: I sleep with my back to a wall or tree, with everything I own wrapped in a bundle in my arms.
Bond: My town or city is my home, and I’ll fight to defend it.
Ideal: I help the people who help me—that’s what keeps us alive.
Flaw: Gold seems like a lot of money to me, and I’ll do just about anything for more of it.
Backstory: Marcus was born and raised on the streets of the valley. His parents died in a house fire while he had been playing outside when he was five. Nobody was interested in taking care of him, and he didn’t want to live in an orphanage. He became a capable street rat stealing what he needed to survive.

One day, he was ambushed by some men in hooded cloaks in an alley. He woke up chained on an altar in a basement. A small group of cultists were performing a ritual and he was the lucky sacrifice to embody a demon from the Nine Hells. A rune was carved into his chest with a claw shaped into a knife. A shimmering portal opened up over him, and a shadowy form reached through into his chest. Pain shot through his body, and he was slowly being driven mad as the demon attempted to possess him.

Suddenly, the door to the basement exploded open. The cultists drew their wicked blades and rushed a lone monk. The bald man opened his palm and a ball of light as bright as the sun streaked to the center of the room and blew up. The cultists were burnt to a crisp and the bloody rune carved into Marcus’s chest was instantly cauterized. The demon was sent screaming back through the portal. The monk smashed the chains holding the boy to the altar with one bare handed chop. Marcus was carried out and brought back to the temple.

From then on, Marcus was taught self discipline to control the shard of demon that resided within himself. His master led him in meditation and hand to hand combat to help create a constructive outlet for the anger that festered within him. Marcus tried. He really did, but no matter what that little voice haunted him all day everyday. The only thing that drowned it out was alcohol. He left the temple and turned to backstreet brawling to fund his alcoholism. He is not above using the demonic power within him to get the upper hand. His Hex abilities weaken his enemies to pull out a win.

When things started to get bad in the valley, Marcus wasn’t having any of it. He would go into the dark places of the city and take care of any trouble he came across with his bare hands. This was his city. Nothing was going to disturb the peace he had finally created for himself.

RP Sample: Brek gives a polite bow to Lea as she steps to the side. “Me muther always told me ‘ladies first’, but I was starting to wonder if you were going to speak up.”Brek steps up to the stage and motions with a hand back to the woman who just spoke. “I know she didn’t give her name, but to those of you who don’t know her her name is Lea. Now that that’s out of the way...”He squeezes the water out of his chefs hat and flops it back on his head with a wet slap.

“I would just like to start off by saying that unlike some candidates for other officer positions, I Brek Schmok will not slander any of my fellow Cook candidates. We should be judged based on merit and the power of our character. I expect to be shown the same respect in turn. As for meself, I too grew up in a humble fishing village. I caught me own food and even had a booth in the local fish market where I sold both my catch and cooked it in front of them for a little extra. I agree with Lea that any Ship’s Cook who can’t catch their own meal isn’t worth their salt. A cook is not just someone who can cook but also provide for the crew. I also agree that sometimes a warm meal in lean times can be the only thing between a civil ship and mutiny. Sadly this is where the similarities between meself and the others end.”

He takes a big swig of his own personal rum and passed it off to the nearest crew member to taste. “That my good friend’s is me own brew. Yes I have many years of practice making that good ole liquid courage, RUM! Food can make a crew content and happy, but what about when we have a great victory or it be time to raise the crew’s spirits when a dear friend has been taken by the sea. I have traveled many a pub procuring the best and worst drinking songs that can be found like my favorite, ‘What do you do with a drunken sailor?’.” Some of the crew start laughing with a cheer here and there. He points to the laughing crew members with a knowing wink. “Any who one terrific benefit to learning how to brew is how to make clean drinking water out of the sea. A man will die of thirst long before hunger takes him. More clean drinkin’ water means better survival at sea.”

He pulls his meat cleaver out of his belt and casually starts spinning it on his finger and flipping it around while he leans on the side of the ship. “Now any good cook can prepare a meal and clean up, but that’s not what we are deciding here. No, we are deciding who will be the Ship Cook. An officer who takes command of the kitchen as the captain does his ship. What does every good officer who doesn’t have rocks fer brains got? They have priorities straight.”He emphasizes this by catching the cleaver by the handle and staring down the blade with one eye.”Anyone here want to guess where I was at when we were being called up on deck? Well I’ll tell ye. I was in the kitchen picking up all the food and spices that had been knocked to the ground when der ship was being tossed aboot. Half our pantries would have been waterlogged with sea water by the time all these elections had ended if I hadn’t taken the foresight to head there first.”

He sheathes his blade and steps away from the side to face the captain more head on. He hacks up some phlegm and spits it overboard. “I along with others like Lea have been faithfully following Cookie’s lead and learning from him fer a time. The reason we never replaced him wasn’t because we weren’t capable of doing so, but because we don’t give a damn about politics or pow’r. We just have a passion for food and this crew. Cookie was in his position before us and was doing a damn good job at it. No point in tossing away good dish that hasn’t spoiled I say. With all that been said, I fer one will NOT be looking for the missing crew. Not because I don’t care. Cookie was dear friend of mine, and I want to taste his fried fish again. But me wasting my time looking for him while the crew went hungry would not be what he would have wanted. Priorities damn it! An officer has to make the hard decisions for the best of the ship despite his own personal wants.”His fists shake in anger at the current situation and his missing friend. He lets out his anger by punching the siding with his fist. “No, should he not be found I will cook the best damn meal anyone has ever tasted in his honor.”One could tell that it seemed more of a promise to himself than the rest of the crew.

The chef leveled his eyes at Captain Crow. “I will be honest with you Cap’n. My loyalty is to the ship and her crew. I cooked for them yesterday. Despite what happens here, I will cook for them tonight. I will cook for them under your command, and gods forbid the next cap’n. Hunger doesn’t care who ye are. Be ye slave or cap’n. It’s a killer waiting to gnaw at you from the inside out until ye be nuttin’ but a husk. You can’t run nor hide from it. It’s always there biding it’s time until the pantry runs dry. That is the war I fight everyday on the crew’s behalf. I figured you a good cap’n otherwise I wouldn’t have voted fer ye. I will follow yer lead into oblivion as long as you hold the crew in yer soul as I do. Just let me do what I do best, and you won’t be disappointed. I will be the best Ship’s Cook you ev’r had.”He gives a crisp salute to the captain which made his big belly bounce before stepping away for another candidate to speak.

Last edited by Hiruma Kohaku; 08-12-2019 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Completed app
Old 08-12-2019, 10:00 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemar View Post
you have me marked as WIP; but looking at the application template, I don't see what I am missing. Please advise how I can fine tune it for you
I made an edit to the OP that if you feel your app is complete please write as such somewhere in the post. I don't want to make the assumption that I think it looks complete but the original writer might still be working on it.

Last edited by Tyeal; 08-12-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:25 PM
Daytime Denizen

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 588
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
Did you want us to have character sheets created for the application, or just make them if we are selected?
Old 08-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6141
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeal View Post
1. Yes. Your Background grants you the skills listed ALONG WITH the skills granted by your class.
2. No. You are simply granted access to those skills. It will specify when you are being granted Expertise in a given skill. 5e is pretty clear about what you do and don't get. ...Most of the time.
3. Yes. You can pick another skill entirely. In this case there's some highly unusual overlap but in total you should be Proficient in five skills.
Thanks, I chose Perception and she'll be proficient in six skills thanks to Human Variant.

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: Normal
Old 08-12-2019, 11:26 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab Burrwalky View Post
Did you want us to have character sheets created for the application, or just make them if we are selected?
You are welcome to build out a sheet if you wish. I know I have that habit whenever I make a character and I can't tell you NOT to make a sheet. I just ask you don't roll stats should you wish to go that route in this thread.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:10 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3385
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
App complete on a halfling rogue pickpocket. A bit vague on the town since I don't know where exactly we will be starting but she is a hometown girl.

Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: Safira Proudburrow
Race: Lightfoot Halfling
Class: Progressing to Thief archetype.Rogue 2
Background: Urchin

Traits: When I sleep, I like to squeeze into small places to make it hard for others to get to me. I often hide food and small useful items on my person, sometimes even stealing what I think I need. I'm surprisingly optimistic and am often happy even in the most grim of circumstances.
Bond: I help people who help me - that's what keeps us alive.
Ideal: I secretly sponsor an orphanage to keep others from enduring what I was forced to endure.
Flaw: It's not stealing if I need it more than someone else. I sometimes throw caution to the wind if there's a good chance of getting something I need out of it.

Backstory:

RP Sample: In secret text below.

Last edited by Grouchy; 08-16-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1913
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Ok, I think I'm done with my application. The one thing I'm still debating is which language I should choose as my third... I could see Aramil speaking Primordial (or perhaps Sylvan?) as he studied with druids for a while, and might've picked up how to speak the language of creatures more closely tied to nature...

Of course, if you'd rather we didn't pick exotic languages, I'm more than happy to select something like goblin (or whatever you feel is most useful for the campaign) instead!
Old 08-13-2019, 10:39 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSlayer View Post
Ok, I think I'm done with my application. The one thing I'm still debating is which language I should choose as my third... I could see Aramil speaking Primordial (or perhaps Sylvan?) as he studied with druids for a while, and might've picked up how to speak the language of creatures more closely tied to nature...

Of course, if you'd rather we didn't pick exotic languages, I'm more than happy to select something like goblin (or whatever you feel is most useful for the campaign) instead!
I'm all for people picking more exotic languages. Certainly would add an interesting wrinkle to your character to know such an old and niche language.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:03 PM
Daytime Denizen

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 588
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeal View Post
You are welcome to build out a sheet if you wish. I know I have that habit whenever I make a character and I can't tell you NOT to make a sheet. I just ask you don't roll stats should you wish to go that route in this thread.
Where should we roll them to maintain transparency? Or is it an honor system?
Old 08-13-2019, 01:38 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab Burrwalky View Post
Where should we roll them to maintain transparency? Or is it an honor system?
I'll reach out to an admin and get a thread set up to let anyone who wishes to roll can do so. I'll share a link when the thread is available.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Dragoon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1278
zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak
I'm basically re-using an application from another game - I really have a hankering to play this guy, and this looks like a great opportunity to This application is complete

Simon:
right-aligned image
Name: Str 8 | Dex 14 | Con 14 | Int 16 | Wis 9 | Cha 14Simon
Race: Variant Human - Resilient [Con] chosen as the 1st level feat. Skill: NatureHuman (Silverymoon)
Class: Will remain a Wizard for the rest of his career, unless we get to 19th level somehow - then he'll probably switch to Fighter. Skills: Investigation/ReligionHexblade Warlock 1/Evocation Wizard 1
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Skills: Arcana/HistoryCloistered Scholar
Personality trait:
- I'm willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgement.
Ideal:
- Knowledge. The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge. (Neutral)
Bond:
- Warlock pact with shadowfell entityI sold my soul for knowledge. I hope to do great deeds and win it back.
Flaw:
- Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy.

Physical Description:
Simon is a tall, wiry man with a messy mop of blond hair and thoughtful grey eyes. While not traditionally handsome, he never-the-less has a striking, somewhat arresting presence about him.

Personality:
Simon is generally reserved and studious, with a somewhat scholarly air of elitism about himself. There are times when the exuberant youth of yesteryear emerges, however, and the scholar fades to the background. Those times have become increasingly rare as the years have gone by.

Backstory:
Simon grew up in a small farm in the Silver Marches. A precocious child, he never quite fit in with his family. As he grew he got the idea in his heart to make his way to one of the great cities, where he might find somewhere he would better fit in. His desire would come to fruition, but not in the way he hoped.

One night he had a dream - a vivid, realistic dream. He found himself in a shadowy realm, with a figure. The figure offered power and knowledge - the means for Simon to make his own way in the world. The only price would be a contract, a 'pact', between them. When Simon asked 'why me', the figure explained that Simon had 'potential'. To Simon's later regret, Simon agreed.

Simon was indeed granted knowledge and power, and Simon delighted in this at first. But then the requests came - innocuous things, always. Move a book from one location to another; break a certain dish; build a fence. Simon thought nothing of it at first ... but then he began to wonder. He asked around, made inquiries ... and slowly came to realize that the power he had been granted had come with terms. And while those terms might not be 'bad', the fact of the matter was that he knew nothing of his patron. Good, Evil, something else - Simon had no idea whom he was serving.

Simon made his way to Silverymoon, eventually finding himself in flitting between the various libraries and temples in the city, looking for a way to break the pact - or at least learn more of his shadowy patron. Requests still came, which Simon increasingly ignored ... and then the requests stopped. But Simon's power remained. What did it mean? Simon needed to know.

Simon spent years in Silverymoon, searching for an answer. All he found were more questions, and more worries. He became a well regarded researcher in the city libraries, an expert in several fields - but it was all for naught (as far as Simon was concerned). With the well of knowledge in the city running dry, Simon left to look for answers ... elsewhere. Anywhere.

It has been over a decade since Simon's patron has requested anything of him, yet Simon's powers are still as potent as the day he acquired them. Has his patron forgotten him, or given him up as a lost cause? Or is this an act of manipulation, guiding Simon to some as yet-unseen goal. Would Simon want to support his patron if given more knowledge or not? These and many more questions swirl about Simon's mind on a daily basis, as he wanders the realms looking for answers.

Most recently Simon has found himself passing through the Dessarin Valley, and short on money ...

RP Post sample: Kron the Barbarian's Intro Post

OOCPosting Rate: I can guarantee 1 post/week. Anything more I can't promise.

Last edited by zarzak; 08-13-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:51 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6141
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
  • Question: Are you allowing Variant Background Features?
I found the below here near the bottom.

Variant Noble Background Feature
Variant Feature: RETAINERS
If your character has a noble background, you may select this background feature instead of Position of Privilege.

You have the service of three retainers loyal to your family. These retainers can be attendants or messengers, and one might be a majordomo. Your retainers are commoners who can perform mundane tasks for you, but they do not fight for you, will not follow you into obviously dangerous areas (such as dungeons), and will leave if they are frequently endangered or abused.

I'm not sure if I would choose it for my character, just curious.

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: Normal

Last edited by Silk; 08-13-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:04 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
  • Question: Are you allowing Variant Background Features?
I found the below here near the bottom.

Variant Noble Background Feature
Variant Feature: RETAINERS
If your character has a noble background, you may select this background feature instead of Position of Privilege.

You have the service of three retainers loyal to your family. These retainers can be attendants or messengers, and one might be a majordomo. Your retainers are commoners who can perform mundane tasks for you, but they do not fight for you, will not follow you into obviously dangerous areas (such as dungeons), and will leave if they are frequently endangered or abused.

I have no problem working with anyone who's interested in exploring the variations in a given Background. However, for that one in particular, I'm going to say no. I could see such a thing being useful in a more centralized location like The Waterdeep Heist but for this particular AP I will say there's going to be a LOT of travel involved. And when the book really picks up steam they're going to be left in some city or another or even sent home with the rising danger the party will inevitably face so the feature sadly won't be as effective.