twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-14-2019, 12:39 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6426
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I've never use Variant's before but your judgment is understandable.

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: Normal
Old 08-14-2019, 04:20 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1913
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeal View Post
I'm all for people picking more exotic languages. Certainly would add an interesting wrinkle to your character to know such an old and niche language.
Great, thank you! I'll go add it to my character sheet .
Old 08-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8981
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
COMPLETE

right-aligned image

Name: Bellamin "Bel" Serpenthelm (Character sheet is WIP, waiting until stats are rolled)
Race: Half-Elf (Waterdeep)
Class: Sorcerer (Shadow Magic, XGtE)
Background: Courtier (SCAG)
  • Personality Trait: Whenever I come to a new place, I collect local rumors and spread gossip.
  • Bond: One day I will repay those who ruined my political career and mother's business.
  • Ideal: Generosity: My talents were given to me so that I could benefit the world.
  • Flaw: I too often think that bad means will justify good ends...
Backstory:

RP Sample: Two previous examples: One of the last posts I made with Mattthias Drin, Gnome Space-Cowboy; First post having taken over Vrezhe, Kobold swamp-alchemist

OtherPosting Rate: I can guarantee a rate of 2-3 posts/week, potentially more depending on life circumstances.

Posting style: I tend to emphasize quality and roleplaying quality in my posts over quantity. I'm not afraid of doing a lot of writing, when the occasion calls for it. But as a DM myself I prefer to not overwhelm DMs and other players with huge posts. I will admit, my backstory did get a bit longer than I intended... let me know if you want bulletpoints.

Plans for the character: I'm trying to go for a shadow-and-light theme here, emphasizing the struggle in us all. This is particularly true of him sometimes thinking the ends justify the means. Though I won't be doing pure illusions or anything, I do plan on theming / re-skinning spells to have colorful or shadowy elements. I'm also trying to leave the identity of the "upstart noble" and arcane assassin vague in my backstory so that, if you want, you could make it some NPC already present in the adventure path.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:35 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 307
Boomy Boomy Boomy Boomy
Calum Finlay | finished
left-aligned image

Race: Hill Dwarf
Class: Monk
Alignment: Lawful Good
Background: Outlander
Bond: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
Ideal: If I dishonor myself, I dishonor my whole clan.
Flaw: Violence is my answer to almost any challenge.

Backstory: One thing many people don’t realize about dwarves is that they’re the most angry race inhabiting the land. It could be possible that first barbarian tribes in existence have been established by dwarves. While attempting to forge iron weapons, they discovered pleasure of striking rock, which became a survival adaptation. A dwarf too tired from mining doesn’t have the strength necessary to brawl with his brethren.

Just think about it. No species could spend their entire existence hitting rocks without a lot of pent up anger inside them. Calum Finlay had an exceptional amount of anger within him. The blisters from wielding a pickaxe never satisfied him. To make matters worse, he was smart.
Not intelligent mind you. Intelligent people just get depressed, Calum was smart enough to ask questions like “why” and “how” towards the universe, and the lack of answers caused him only frustration.

When he matured enough to be free of his parents' scorn, he decided to move out to the city. Back in the decade of drought, when the mountain caves stopped producing gemstones and gold, part of his family moved out of the mountains to earn money and send it back home. He joined them thinking that there’s no honor he could earn in the mountain home. He enjoyed brawling in the taverns, and butting heads with his coworkers on streets. Surface living left you with much more free time and energy to beat others up, and the feel of fist on a fleshy face carried with it tons of satisfaction.

It wasn’t exactly legal though, not in human cities at least. This lead Calum to realize that if he truly wanted to become a good dwarven son, he had to learn to manage his anger. With no clue on how to exactly do that, he decided to seek monks. These people also lived in the mountains, except on top of them, rather than inside them.

The journey through the world to find a monastery took him two years. He then spent the next eight years in it, mastering his body, his fists, and the energy of the universe. He never graduated from the monastery. The monastery graduated from him. Inhabiting monks reached new levels of enlightenment by learning to ignore his swears and provocations, and found incredibly effective teaching methods by figuring out how to translate the most basic principles to a brain bent on insulting existence itself.

His leave of the monastery was sparked by the rumors in the Dessarin Valley. It wasn’t that far from his homeland, for one thing, and he badly needed to punch something that wasn’t a straw doll. If he wasn’t making progress in the monastery, he will have to grow up on his own.

RP Sample
Calum was returning from his regular tavern brawl. It was then when he spotted a cow looking at its calf stuck in a ditch. He came closer out of curiosity, but with each step he felt like the mother-cow was looking at him more and more intensely, which he found irritating.
- "Why are you standing there like a dumb cow?Wa ur ye standin' der loch a dumb coo?" - he asked, his brows angling upwards. Then, his face relaxed. - "Apologies. A turn of phrase.Apologies. A turn ay phrase." - he wasn’t racist against cows, at least he didn’t want to be. The black-and-white spotted animal didn’t seem offended. Instead, she answered by mooing towards the calf in the ditch.

-" And the F- do you want me to do?An' th' buck dae ye want me tae dae? "- asked Calum. - "Just jump in there. There's enough space for the both of you to live together in there!Jist jump in dere. There's enaw space fur th' baith ay ye tae liv together in there!"
The cow mother wasn’t satisfied with that solution, She approached Calum, swung her head to the side, and then back at Calum, pushing him right into the hole. He landed on his ass, almost breaking his tail bone. -" it isn't funnyit ain’t funney "- the dwarf protested. He could try to throw or carry the calf out, but he would likely hurt it along the way.

- "Well, there's one thing I could do.Weel, there is a body hin' Ah coods dae." - He realized looking at the slope. The ditch was a remnant of an attempt to dig a well. It was, however, on a slumped hill. If he dug far enough, they would eventually get out near the road. - "Okay, listen, you black spotted, no-hands-having, four-legged, baby-horned, stupid-looking, hole-jumping, white cowOkay, listen, ye black spotted, no-hands-havin', foor-legged, baby-horned, stupid-lookin', hole-jumpin' white coo. "- he addressed the animal, which began retreating backwards. -" I'm going to start tunneling and you will drag your lazy, scared, grass-eating, udder milk drinking arse behind me. Move those hooves to push the ground behind us or something.Aam gonna start tunnelin' an' ye will drag yer lazy, scared, grass-munchin', udder milk skitin' erse behin' me. move those hooves tae push th' grin behin' us ur somethin'." - he instructed, measuring the wall of earth behind him. When he turned back to look at the cow again, it was already out of the ditch, and going away with its mother. The foul language scared it enough to motivate survival instincts into climbing the reclining wall of the ditch.
- "And where are my thanks you beady-eyed bastards?!An' where's mah cheers ye beady-eyed bastards."

Last edited by Boomy; 08-15-2019 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:09 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 661
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
My application is labeled complete.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4945
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
For those that are waiting to roll stats I've gotten a dice thread set up. Remember you have the option to re-roll two stats by chosing your lowest number and your highest number.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 307
Boomy Boomy Boomy Boomy
Mine's too. The note isn't too obvious.

I have two questions: How many players are you planning the game for? Also, are we going to be mostly taking part in operations against the enemy (FF tactics, Into the Breach) or should we worry about having skills useful in base-building and management? (x-com).
Old 08-15-2019, 04:02 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomy View Post
I have two questions: How many players are you planning the game for? Also, are we going to be mostly taking part in operations against the enemy (FF tactics, Into the Breach) or should we worry about having skills useful in base-building and management? (x-com).
I plan to take a party of six on this adventure. Feels like a solid number without being too crowded. As to your other question while I can't spoil too much I will say things can get pretty nuts pretty fast. So there will be a fair amount of quashing the enemy but if there's a character or two, or the whole party wishes to, that want to build a stronghold or a base I'm open to helping make that happen.

Just know it'll be a long, expensive venture that will carry boons if pursued.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:19 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1518
Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur
Never played a bugbear before, so this might be the opportunity!
Application Format
right-aligned image
Name: Grizz the Lasher
Race: Bugbear
Class: Fighter/Rogue (emphasis on the latter)
Background: Urban Bounty Hunter
Trait: I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy. I work best behind the scenes.
Bond: I will become the greatest thief bounty hunter that ever lived.
Ideal: Reputation. Bloke's gotta work, an' a good name's more'n one can hope for.
Flaw: I'm afraid to be deemed obsolete, or useless.
Backstory: Fighting for a living's all that Grizz has ever known growing up. He was part of a mercenary company called the Dead King's Crown, answerable to only the highest bidder in the Realms. He learned the whip, both being on the receiving end of it when he was too slow or too clumsy, and as the one wielding it against his enemies. There he earned the nickname 'Lasher', as his proficiency with the strange weapon excelled even that of the best battle masters in the troop.

Yet soon Grizz got tired of moving around and settling nowhere. He wanted to strike out on his own and build a name for himself. Some would say that he was simply getting old, but the bugbear was quite concerned about his legacy. How would people remember him if all they saw was just another soldier in just another band of misfits? So when the Crowns were done with some petty lords' squabble in Red Larch, Grizz decided to stay and pursue bounty hunting. He was not well received at first, due to the locals judging his race and his past, but a few well-done jobs were starting to change their minds.

Things, however, were going rather slowly recently. Grizz is going through a bit of a dry spell in terms of employment, and he barely had funds for his monthly expenses. Which was why he was seeking any kind of employment here and in the communities beyond. One particular job got his attention: the call for protection for some noble or other in the Dessarin Valley. Grizz was used to bodyguard duty, but the notion of having to protect some dandy didn't particularly appeal to him. Still beggars can't be choosers, and he was quickly on his way to becoming one. Gathering his meager belongings, the bugbear made his way to the city of Yartar, where the promise of coin and a little bit of a portfolio bump waited.

RP Sample:

Last edited by Hundur; 08-17-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:55 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomy View Post
Mine's too. The note isn't too obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeal View Post
I plan to take a party of six on this adventure. Feels like a solid number without being too crowded. As to your other question while I can't spoil too much I will say things can get pretty nuts pretty fast. So there will be a fair amount of quashing the enemy but if there's a character or two, or the whole party wishes to, that want to build a stronghold or a base I'm open to helping make that happen.

Just know it'll be a long, expensive venture that will carry boons if pursued.
I've been trying to rack my memory about playing Final Fantasy Tactics, and all I can come up with is the knowledge that I quite playing it after a week or so. I don't think I hated it, but then my memory is terrible.

This got me thinking though; I hadn't played many Tactics games other than FFT back when it first came out. What should we expect in the game? I assumed it would be more mechanics driven but after playing in Outplay, I have tried to curtail my assumptions as they tend to get me into trouble...well, they did in Outplay at least

Last edited by Silk; 08-15-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:59 PM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8981
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
I’m with Silk— I kind of thought this just meant it would have a pretty strong emphasis on mechanics. Is there something more to the game than that?
Old 08-15-2019, 09:05 PM

Tools
User Statistics
I called upon that particular title as FFT has a strong emphasis on customizing your characters, mixing and matching abilities, and dealing with varied and challenging enemies. It probably wasn't a perfect comparison but my intent with it was to imply there'd be some tough fights on the road to victory along with, hopefully, more meaningful encounters. As well as a few curveball encounters to add some variety to regular combat.

*hides his template for water gnolls*

Last edited by Tyeal; 08-15-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:11 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the clarification. I'm still game if your wondering. Never actually played a game, pbp or tabletop, where we could build something if we so desired. Should be interesting if it comes up

Last edited by Silk; 08-15-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:17 PM
Dragoon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1278
zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak
If this is going to be reminiscent of FFT maybe I should switch to a Gemoancer. There is actually a 3rd party geomancer class (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...-The-Geomancer) which is pretty similar; just needs to have the starting equipment modified a bit, and maybe some of the spells/features reworked.

*edit* Even if you allowed this I'm not sure I'd actually want to ... as written I think its a bit underpowered, sadly

Last edited by zarzak; 08-15-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:55 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarzak View Post
If this is going to be reminiscent of FFT maybe I should switch to a Gemoancer. There is actually a 3rd party geomancer class (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...-The-Geomancer) which is pretty similar; just needs to have the starting equipment modified a bit, and maybe some of the spells/features reworked.
I appreciate the link but even in Tactics I didn't like the Geomancer. Calculator's where it's at!

Also the few homebrew classes I linked in the OP are classes I believe have their specific strengths without being broken. Not to mention I've personally played 2 of those 3 so I can speak to their effectiveness while not being overshadowing.