Old 08-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Dragoon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1278
zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeal View Post
I appreciate the link but even in Tactics I didn't like the Geomancer. Calculator's where it's at!

Also the few homebrew classes I linked in the OP are classes I believe have their specific strengths without being broken. Not to mention I've personally played 2 of those 3 so I can speak to their effectiveness while not being overshadowing.
Calculator is too boring, imo - in my latest playthrough I pretended that the class didn't exist.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 882
Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager
WIP, need to adjust to fit this game.

Application Complete
right-aligned image

Name: Ukani
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Sorcerer/Bard
Alignment: Generally Good
Deity: Philosophical Anti-theist (He believes the gods exist and also believes they are universally morally bad, or morally questionable at best.)

Appearance:Tall, dark and imposing are the words that best describe Ukani. Dressed in whatever is most appropriate for his mission and armed, usually, with light weapons Ukani tries to look as little like what he is as possible.

Hometown: Khem was a peaceful place in the past, according to the elders. A place full of joy and laughter, occupied by a simple people who followed Selune, even though she had ceased answering. Not being part of any larger nation or in service to a city-state, the town kept a strong band of hunters to protect against predators and hunt game, though they couldn't be called an army. Ukani never saw that Khem, his Khem was a drab place on the borders of Caspia, he grew up beneath the boot of an extremist Sharite regime. Everyone in any position of power, from the Governor (a drab, pot-bellied Priest of Shar) to the Captain of the Guard (a hard-bitten and cruel man) were outsiders, rulers who lorded it over the locals.

Abuse of women and children by city officials was common, and a culture of bribe-taking flourished. If a Selunite wished to leave town or marry their lover they would first have to bribe an official. Crimes were harshly punished, unless committed by a Sharite, and it was common for a pretext to be made to simply take anything that an official wanted, be that property or people. It was a harsh and unforgiving place and the people of Khem turned hard themselves. Worship of Shar increased amongst the population, but this only raised them above their peers, not to the level of in an invader. They were considered ethnically selunite and therefore, whilst they weren't treated as badly as other natives, were not afforded full rights. Talk of the old ways became something that spread only in hushed whispers. The loudest being of an old Selunite prophecy of a saviour that would come in their darkest hour, heralding the return of their sleeping god.

Khem is now in an even worse state than when Ukani grew up. The locals are kept in chains, beaten down slaves to their overseers as punishment for Ukani's crime. Most of the population is now used as labour in the nearby mines to extract iron ore, fuel for the expansionist dreams of Caspia. Worship of Selune is harshly punished and strict Sharite law is imposed on the inhabitants. Few are there left who remember the time before, almost all the people of Khem having been born under the regime, like Ukani, or worse, born after the reforms brought about by his actions.

Ukani is whispered of among the young folk, a tale of a man who was once their saviour, then their destroyer. He is both a faint hope of something better and a warning of what happens when one of the lesser people disobey. The town, no more than five hundred strong is ruled now like a prison camp by around fifty guards and their extremely zealous captain. Whereas the corrupt officials of Ukani's childhood could be bought or bribed, these men are handpicked Sharite loyalists and it seems, for now, that there is no way for Khem folk to escape their grasp.

Background: Folk Hero
Personality Traits (2): If someone is in trouble, I'm there to lend a hand. Thinking is for other people, I prefer action.
Ideal (1): No one should get preferential treatment before the law and no one is above the law.
Bond (1): A proud noble once gave Ukani a beating, he takes his revenge on every bully he encounters.
Flaw (1): The tyrant who rules my land will stop at nothing to see me killed.

Character background: Ukani's mother had been a hunter and trained him in the craft, whilst the Sharites kept control of the populace and 'taxed' all the kills brought home they did, at least, allow the community to carry on some of its traditions. As he grew, with a wide-eyed idealism Ukani drank in the stories of his grandfather at his mother's knee. She told him of how his father Hager and grandfather Moise had been great hunters and pious worshippers of Selune. She told him how, when the Sharites came, the hunters rose up and fought. He heard of how only thirty hunters held off five hundred Sharites for three days and three nights, bled them as they moved through the mountain passes and when they were eventually brought to bay, carved into the armoured lines a bloody rift, dying with honour to protect their families.

A prophecy whispered of throughout the town told of a saviour, who would come from a line of hunters. It told of a great warrior, mighty with the power of Selune reborn who would rise up and lay low the oppressors if only the people would wait. Ukani heard, but unlike the others, when the tale was told he felt his blood stir, not with hope, but with a call to action. He was quick, smart and the deadliest hunter in the village. His ancestors were virtual demigods in his eyes, how could he be anything but the saviour in the prophecy. Ukani bided his time, honing his skills and learning the behaviours of every official.

When a visiting Sharite nobleman came to town Ukani was too slow to kneel and couldn't bring himself to kiss the woman's boot. All the hopes of his rebellion burned in his chest as she ordered her guards to beat him. Ukani simply covered his head and let them, they beat his body to a pulp, but only stoked the embers of his determination into a roaring fire. His recovery was slow, but all of the townsfolk were astounded by what he had endured in perfect silence at the age of thirteen, they nursed him back to health and the whispers of the saviour grew stronger.

One night, years later, he saw his best friend, Neith dragged into the Governor's house. At only fifteen Ukani nevertheless knew what that meant and his blood ran cold. No longer content to plan he slipped like a shadow into the dark and up the side of a house not far from the Governor's stone manor. In moments he was across the rooves and dangling from the edge of a windowsill, pulling himself up. He might be a great hunter, but he had trained so hard to hunt one prey; men. With a whisper he slid inside and padded along the halls, hearing the screams of dear Neith, then silence. Steeling himself he pushed open the door to the Governor's bedroom and saw something worse than he had ever expected, Neith lay naked on the bed, splayed and with her throat cut in a red smile, the Governor over her, grinning and holding the knife. In two steps Ukani was upon the man and the favour was returned. Even as the Governor gurgled his last breath his killer had left the room through the bedroom window, stalking the night and each of the corrupt officials who let this happen. By the morning all of them were dead and the few remaining guards who had escaped fled from Ukani's wrath, leaving Khem seemingly for good.

Ukani's mother and his friends forced him to leave, not even letting him stay for Neith's funeral, as they knew the Sharites would send men looking for him. So, feted with a hero's send-off Ukani left his hometown, never to return only a day after he cleansed it. It wasn't until years later that he learned Khem now had a new wall, with a sturdy gate and, set atop each gatepost were the skulls of Ukani's mother and Neith. Learning of the fate of his hometown broke something in Ukani, he realised that he was no Saviour and that, if Selune was really a patron of his people, she was a weak and ineffectual one.

Over the next decade he travelled, avoiding the Caspian empire and working as a blade for hire, taking out the corrupt and the cruel at the behest of whoever needed it. He chose his targets more carefully and planned to avoid repercussions. Most of his targets turned out to be Priests, or sometimes mages. Those with power to abuse and Ukani developed a way of fighting that took advantage of their weaknesses.

As he worked he came to realise that everyone of every race thought their gods were looking out for them, and that it simply wasn't true. He also realised that gods, even good ones, as far as that went, were basically immoral. He had done more good for many people than any of their gods, but he knew that if someone were to worship him he would flatly turn it down. Any being worthy of worship would do so (not that he considered himself such a being!) and any being that demanded, or even accepted worship, well, they were detestable. Selune had never helped him, she had never helped his ancestors, even those who thought themselves blessed with divine power. It was people, caring, compassionate people, that had helped, so that is what he would put his trust in.

Why are you in Desserin Valley: Ukani had heard rumours of gathering power put to malevolent intent. He sensed in his gut that this had the misuse of power at its root and within an hour of hearing the rumour had strapped on his weapons and headed out. Arriving in Desserin he decided that he had to get to the bottom of this mystery, before another wrongful wielder of magic wrought ruin on poor folk. The hunt was on.

Last edited by Drager; 08-16-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4945
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
The cut-off date has been moved up to August 23rd.

I sincerely didn't expect the out-pour of quality for this game and felt it was going to be more of a steady trickle. But nope! So I feel another week is enough time for some folks to refine their characters without feeling pressured as well as get into the game a little sooner.

Last edited by Tyeal; 08-16-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:20 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 275
Aoem Aoem Aoem
COMPLETE

V.R.R
Rensau 'The Rainbow Raven'

Race: Kenku
Class: Bard (college of Swords)
Background: Folk Hero
Bond: Ren has every intention of helping everyone express their creative self.
Ideal: There is true virtue in flamboyancy! Even the blackest can be the brightest!
Flaw: Ren is considered extremely rude.. His Kenku voice mimics are illustrative and poetic in his own mind.. But to others, he may come across quite sarcastically.

Backstory: Rensau, is an eccentric sword performer and a breakthrough Kenku Poet. He can usually be found in the dock wards of water-deep. By provoking exotic challenges from outlanders and sailors, he allows for scenes and spectacles to form. Where he has an embellished time, 'demonstrating' his deftness with the blade.. Such acts might include, a feather being held aloft, by the swift flicks of Rensaus rapier. Or Blindfolded fencing! His favorite performances allow for a lot of great spinning gestures, so that his rainbow feathered cloak moves elegantly through the air.
Once, in a duel.. Ren ended a exchange in a way that embarrassed the opponent so greatly, that the Man swore a life long vendetta against Ren..

Rensau was in waterdeep, where he met a group of emerald enclave rangers.. Who almost arrested him for the his exotic cloak. . However, peace was established, and Rensau was invited into their company. The group was at the Zundbridge near Waterdeep, discussing what to do about the dark rumors.. When, they saw a charred and bloody boat floating down the river.. The party decided to travel up the Dessarin river to investigate the source of the problem.. However, In the Stump Bog south of Goldenfields, an unknown creature dragged one of the emerald enclave rangers off of the pole skiff and under the water, never to be seen again.. Ren is now near Goldenfields, and he is adamantly working with the emerald enclave to help quell these dark disturbances.

Rp Sample
Rp Sample:
- You have had a successful night of Three-Dragon Ante, securing yourself a rather nice pot of 200g at the end of the evening. How do you spend it?

Denizens of Waterdeeps Dock wards would have little trouble recalling the night in question.. However, as to speak with any certainty of the facts and how they relate to the case would be a tall task for even the most experienced witness.. A constable stands there in front of the WaterDavian Court House.. Examining the front lawn.. Or rather, trying to shoo some thousands of blackbirds off of the meticulously cut grass with his orante saber.. It would seem that the only evidence as to what sparked this 'midnight migration' is a pallet of torn seed sacks discarded near the front gate. . The constable, embarrassed and disgruntled is trying his best to dodge blackbird 'pellets', disperse the feathered congregation, and at the same time preserve the evidence! Onlookers can only curl in fits of hysteria.. A wise beggar might tell you that it was that very same constable, who arrested one very special Kenku, for 'depositing foul excrement' on the courthouse lawn. It would seem all too fitting that the lawn be the morning buffet for the local ravens. and that the sheriff be on morning rounds.. The beggar shakes his head, as if seeing the connections in it all.. "Well i hope it was worth it.. Those seed bags and the delivery service must have cost that bird nearly 200 Gold!"

Last edited by Aoem; 08-17-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:50 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 661
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Quick question: How many PCs do you plan on picking? I didn’t see it in the ad.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:12 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruma Kohaku View Post
Quick question: How many PCs do you plan on picking? I didn’t see it in the ad.
This many.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:20 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3385
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Safira Proudburrow, halfling thief and pickpocket, is complete.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...75#post8490675
Old 08-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1518
Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur
Apologies if the RP Sample was a bit long, but I had a lot of fun writing it.

App for Grizz the Bugbear Bounty Hunter complete!
Old 08-17-2019, 03:14 PM
ArtistErrant

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9189
Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor
Name: Yian Liechin
Race: Tiefling
Class: Warlock
Background: Gladiator
Bond: I will become the strongest person in the world
Ideal: When you suffer, there is always something you can gain in exchange
Flaw: I'm overly eager for a fight
Backstory:

And I think that should be complete.

Last edited by Morathor; 08-20-2019 at 01:42 AM. Reason: More info on patron dynamic
Old 08-18-2019, 11:31 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 98
EditionsVeteran
Hi Tyel,

I know I am a bit late to the process, but is there still room for one more application? I plan to submit a longbowman, a human mercenary fighter, who is a pessimist but cannot help himself from doing the best he can.

Can I still apply?
Old 08-18-2019, 12:11 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditionsVeteran View Post
Hi Tyel,

I know I am a bit late to the process, but is there still room for one more application? I plan to submit a longbowman, a human mercenary fighter, who is a pessimist but cannot help himself from doing the best he can.

Can I still apply?
Sure! The thread is going to be open another week so you have plenty of time.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:39 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 275
Aoem Aoem Aoem
Rensau The raven Bow,

Complete
Old 08-19-2019, 04:48 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 98
EditionsVeteran
Here is Tefkros, the pessimistic bowman, mechanically a variant human fighter with outdoors skills. He will be fully complete today.

I have linked to the GoogleDocs sheet. I will transfer to another one if required.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 155
Therru Therru
Here's my completed application, hope everything's there!

Irian Ormbryr, Dragonborn Tempest Cleric
left-aligned image

Name: Irian Ormbryr
Race: Dragonborn
Class: Cleric

Background: Entertainer
Bond: I want to be famous, whatever it takes.
Ideal: Beauty. When I perform, I make the world better than it was.
Flaw: I'm a sucker for a pretty face.

Link to dice roller.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:45 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2828
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Should be complete.

Lenna
right-aligned image

Name: 'Lenna' (Adrienna-Lenndastriel-Beredeth)
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Barbarian (dex based at that - I know, but I wanna try)
Background: Outlander
Personality Traits:
- I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won’t save you from a hungry owlbear.
- I’m driven by a wanderlust that led me away from home.
Ideal: Glory. I must earn glory in battle, for myself and my clan.
Bond: An injury to the unspoiled wilderness of my home is an injury to me.
Flaw: Violence is my answer to almost any challenge.
Appearance: Picture
Lenna looks more or less like a human girl in their early twenties, only her slightly pointy ears hinting at her elven heritage. Her otherwise delicate features are offset by her fierce, almost rude behavior. Her shining bright blue eyes make most men turn their head. She keeps her long wavy hazel hair clamped to a ponytail, and she often uses a streak of black war paint over her eyes.
Stats: rolled over here
Player's FR knowledge: lacking

Story:
Lenna tried to shut out the gentle cracking of the campfire as she listened a little further away from her clients' tent. They didn't seem to be aware, chatting, giggling by the fire, slurping their tea, marveling at how lively the forest is - even by night. But that was exactly what made her wary. She felt the unrest in her bones, and so did the animals.

She walked across to her snorting horse and tried to soothe it with whispers and strokes. Even the sky wasn't right. Heavy clouds were marching in the dark. She shuddered as a cold breeze washed over her. She was glad that they were already on the way back to town, but she was worried about Minna. She could only hope that the dwarven girl would overcome her stubbornness and turn back if things get out of hand.

Wrapping a blanket around her shoulders she crouched by the fire.
- "To the successful hunt!" - the young nob raised his mug - "... and our excellent guide." - he gestured towards Lenna. Despite his lady resting her head on his shoulder his eager eyes were grazing Lenna's features. She didn't care much, she got used to townsfolk's indecency long ago, her thoughts were far away.

Lone wolfs. They fell two of them, two days apart. That was highly unusual. And that deer calf... kicked into a ditch by its own mother! She would need to convince Minna to end the season early. They needed to find out what was going on in the Dessarin Valley before launching any more hunting trips. They would need to find another way to sustain themselves.
She smiled as she remembered when Minna took her to an inn and taught her how to play Three-Dragon Ante. She walked home rich that night. Maybe the gods would favor her again...

That doucebag misunderstood her smile and returned it with a wide grin. She rolled her eyes and stood up. - "I'll collect some more firewood. The night's going to be cold." - she dropped as she walked away, keeping the blanket around her. Indeed the air was getting more chill by the hour. "If only Minna would turn back!" - she thought and memories flooded her mind as she leaned against a tree.

She couldn't help but smile as she relived the moment Minna approached her. How lost she felt standing in the middle of the marketplace next to a so very important man, guarding him as he was talking about some so very important trading agreement to other so very important townsfolk. She was beginning to ponder returning to her mother's village. Even among the elves would be better than this. They'd never fully accept her but at least she'd get to live surrounded by nature not a dusty town. Perhaps it was a mistake to leave. Perhaps she should swallow her pride and return, accepting her defeat. And that very moment when she was on the verge of giving up, Minna stepped to her, looked into her eyes with that never ending smile of hers and said: "You don't belong here, honey. I organize hunting trips into the wilderness, and I need an associate. You look to be juuust who I'm looking for. Give it a thought!" - and with that the curly haired dwarven girl made the dark clouds disappear from Lenna's soul. They had been working together for years since then, slowly but steadily building their hunting trip enterprise. Finally gaining some renown. Even her nickname comes from Minna: "Lenndastriel? No one's gonna pronounce that, girl, let alone be able to remember... Hmm, I know: Lenna! How you like it? Minna and Lenna! Peerfect!"

But now the forest is going crazy and Minna is out there somewhere. She tried to calm herself but she only ended up more worried for her friend. If only Minna was here! Perhaps her mere presence would be enough to return nature back into her sane state...

Last edited by Daendil; 08-19-2019 at 07:26 PM.