RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Mutants & Masterminds > Arbiters of a New Age M&M 3e
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13574
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Natalia returns the nod before turning her attention to Quentin to wait for him to perform his magic. "So I assume you have places like tis in every major city on Earth ten?"
Old 09-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5727
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Wither
Quentin just grunts in response.

The crackling feeling returns, and you're violently dislodged from your position in space. Soon, you reappear on the lower floor of what appears to be a parking garage, Quentin reaching into his pocket and pulling out a wad of bills. He thumbs through them, counting under his breath before thrusting a thick stack of euros to you. "Welcome to Barcelona," he greets, before turning his back and walking away from you.
Do no harm, take no guff.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Natalia is quick to grab her things from the table as Quentin is going through his ritual, wouldn't do to leave them behind. Once the spinning stops she takes a moment to get her bearings and let her eyes adjust to the dim light of the parking garage, it not quite what she was expecting. Apparently they don't have a hot spot in nice hotels all over the world. Or she just wasn't worthy of one this trip. "Gracias, y adiós por ahora," Natalia answers, taking to the local language. She carefully folds up the Euros and slips them into a pocket as Quentin leaves, not bothering to count them. Once he's gone she takes off the black hoodie and the body armor underneath it, leaving a rather plain gray t-shirt, wadding up the light armor, the sword, mask, and goggles in the hoodie and tucking it under an arm. She could pass for a punk look as is, good enough for now, but it's still something she'll need to fix, there's no telling how long she'll be here. Well, a week at most it seems. Though she's used to being frugal, so probably a bit more. First things first, slip into a clothing store and get something less conspicuous than what she has with her. Next step, find a hotel. Something middle of the road, not a dive but not high-end fancy either. Best to stay unnoticed and out of the way, something she has plenty of practice with at least. Preferably something close to the beach, it's been a while and it's always been like a second home, even if that second home was half a world away.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:53 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
right-aligned image
Wither
The nicer hotels appear to be mostly booked anyway, but you soon find one for a reasonable rate, and within five minutes' walk of the beach
As you're checking in, you find yourself standing next to a slender man of average height, dressed in a loose white shirt with the sleeves rolled up, black shorts that stop halfway up the hairy thigh, and leather thong sandals; he smells vaguely of cigarette smoke, and appears to have an unlit deathstick between his fingers. He speaks Spanish well enough, though with a heavy accent. "But ai airdaired six bot-tells of champagné, et even le fifth névair arrived.Pairo péddy sais bot-ellas dai champané, et incluso le quinta nunca llaigo."

The middle-aged clerk reassures the man in much better Spanish: "//Sir, I am certain it was just a misunderstanding. Let me call and see what has happened.//"

"Tch!" the man shakes his head, but allows the woman to make the call. The clerk checking you in -thankfully, they appear to accept cash in exchange for ID- hands you a receipt but no keycard, setting it in front of the keyboard while he tacks slowly away at it.

The extremely french man turns his attention to you. "//Le price we pai fair beeng cheap, yes?//" he asks with a surprisingly white smile. "//Mon name eez Jéan-Martin. Have you just arrivéd in Barcelona, young lady?//"

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-11-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:57 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image
A nice, hot bath, something to eat, and a nap are the immediate plans for the blonde-haired, well-tanned woman at the desk. It's been a long day even without learning the world is full of magic, gods, and vampire conspiracies and that she was some kind of chosen one meant to take part in all of them. That latter bit still hasn't quite set in yet, it'll be a fun time when it does. She had been so busy wondering what she was going to do with the last of the vampire cult taken care of it's almost like she just set that bit of news aside for later, but it was certain to catch up sooner or later. Probably sooner. The hotel seemed to be just what she was looking for, her street smarts coming in handy. She had a story already cooked up for the lack of an ID involving losing her wallet but fortunately cash seems to make for a much better excuse, Natalia zipping what's left back into the pocket of her black cargo pants along with the receipt. She may technically be a tourist, but having grown up in Rio she knows not to flaunt her money, keep it close to her, and keep an eye out for anyone looking to take it. It's an instinct you develop quickly in that city, one that far too many tourists realize too late. She leans on the counter while waiting on the clerk to finish the check-in, wadded up hoodie held tightly under an arm. There's an inner sigh when the Frenchman addresses her, not in Europe even half an hour and she's already met a stereotype. All that's missing is the beret. "//Si, it was a rough trip. Just looking to settle in and get someting to eat,//" she answers in a tired tone, mostly exaggerated. It's a response that's neither interesting nor rude, just boring and noncommittal. An answer ideally chosen to make herself unremarkable, by intention. Though she has the sinking feeling he's not going to get the message.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:27 AM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Wither
The Frenchman chuckles. "//Ah, do not wairry madémoizélle. Ai weehl 'ave pléntay of company wiv mon bot-télls of champagne.//" He turns back to the clerk, who has just hung up the phone.

Your own clerk clears his throat and hands you your keycard. "//Here you are, senorita. Enjoy your stay.//"

"//We're sorry for the inconvenience, Mr. Jacobin,//" his clerk apologizes in the background. "//Your bottles will be brought up as soon as they are available.//"

The Frenchman gives a nod that's more like a shallow bow. "C'est magnifi-" He bursts into a hacking cough and turns away from the desk, the clerks wincing at the guttural sound.

"//And maybe do not ride on the elevator next to him,//" your clerk murmurs quietly.

Jean-Martin recovers after a moment, clutching his side with one arm as he hurriedly wipes his mouth on the other. "//Thank you, madame,//" he bids to the clerk. He turns to you and extends several very familiarly folded euros with the receipt wrapped around them, your trouser pocket feeling suspiciously light... and newly unzipped. "//Et mademoiselle, ai must caushe-on you against droppeng yur money on ze ground, oui? Why, any passeng street rat could pik eet up.//" His eyes sparkle with mirth as he places the cigarette back in his mouth, money still extended.

You're dead certain that money was good and in your pocket a moment ago.

OoC: I may or may not just be giving you something to do while we putter around waiting for Inka to be free.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-12-2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
Fortunately he did seem to get the message, which is a pleasant surprise. It's nothing personal, she just really is tired and wants nothing more than to find a room and crash. She offers a nod of appreciation to his silent chivalry. The tone changes a bit as he hands her the money back, she's annoyed, though not outright angry. The biggest question is how he was able to get by her, he's obviously a pro. But perhaps her polite though distant decline of his advances is the reason, there's a sneaking suspicion that had she been rude and dismissive, she wouldn't be getting it back. "//Ah, gracias, how careless of me,//" she answers, the tone clearly indicating she's well aware of the Frenchman's actions but isn't going to make a scene over it. "//I know all about street rats, it is good tat tere are more upstanding gentlemen in Barcelona, no?//" she comments as she takes back the Euros and receipt. Still the tone speaks volumes between those who are no strangers to such light-fingered deeds, I don't know how you did it, but well done. Don't expect it to happen again.

Bidding "Mr. Jacobin" adieu she turns to the clerk with one more request. "//Could I have someting to eat sent to my room in... two hours? Noting fancy, just a sandwich or someting simple,//" she asks before heading up to her room and inside. The shopping bag with a change of clothes is tossed on the bed, the bundle wrapped up in the black hoodie hidden in a cabinet in the bathroom, and then it's into the tub. Sure enough, once the brakes have hit, the reality of the past few hours sinks in. This was not the same world Natalia had woken up in. She knew she had superhuman abilities, assumed there were others who did, and knew that vampires existed before, but that all seems so small and insignificant now. Apparently gods were real, and the ranting from the vampire cultists that she assumed to be crazed delusion was based on truth. What did a god named "Famine" want with her, appropriate nature of her abilities aside? And the other gods had avatars of their own, all meeting with Dracula? There's no way that wasn't ominous, especially in light of what she's seem from those vampires so far. It's all too hauntingly familiar. But what could she do about it? Fortunately the worry faded to weariness and she drifted off in short order, the first good sleep she's had in a while even if it was short. She's awakened by the knock on her door from room service, hurriedly getting out of the tub, wrapping up in a towel, and getting her lunch.

Though she could use some more sleep, there's no way she's going to get it with as many things as she has on her mind. And for the moment, at least until this Inka gets in contact with her, she'd rather get rid of them completely. And the best way to do that is to just abandoned it all for the time being and have a much-needed day off. It feels like such a strange concept, no vampires to hunt, nobody to kill because the law and police refuse to. It's a sobering thought for the moment, what she's become, though she tells herself it was necessary. You can't count on the world to fix itself when the world itself is part of the problem. She's seen lives ruined and people killed, some very close to her, and those above in their high towers couldn't care less. That's what bothers her about these vampires - the prevailing attitude that they're better, more privileged, and beyond the concerns of their "lessers". It's all about them and those useful to them, and as much as the idea that vampires have a large organization is new, that particular aspect is all too familiar from what she's seen so far. She hopes she's wrong, but all her experience thus far is hard to argue with - the rich get richer, the poor get stepped on, and the ones in their high towers continue to lord over it all.

A change of clothes into a pair of shorts, tank top, and sandals later and she's out into the city. At least she's seen enough tourists to know how not to act like one, though she admits to herself she wishes she had a proper camera aside from the puny one on the flip phone she's going to throw away anyway. Barcelona is a beautiful city, it would seem her wish to visit wasn't a poor choice. Was there a football game on tonight? Who were they playing? Such questions started to pop into her head, some of the tourist-like thoughts creeping in despite her attempts to shoo them away. It's good though, it distracts her from the heavier thoughts weighing on her mind. La Boqueria is a must, she's heard all about the food. It was a bonus quality of her powers, she really could eat whatever she wanted without consequence. Much of the day is spent shopping, though she's trying to avoid splurging since there's no telling how long it will be until the vampires contact her. Which she still can't believe she's telling herself. There's a healthy sampling of local cuisine, some shopping, and some visiting of the fabled architecture within the city. It was nice to actually be normal for a change. She could get used to it, but in a way she couldn't. Deep down she knew she never could be normal, at least not for long. Once she's had her fill it's back to the hotel to drop off her things, throw a newly-bought bikini on under the tank top and shorts, and head to the beach. The sun on the Mediterranean was beautiful, and she can't help but think to herself what the vampires must be missing.

OOCEither way is good, no need to stress. Even vampire-hunting vigilantes need down time!
Old 09-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Wither (and Sapphire gets to listen in)
The burner phone rings in your pocket as you're walking down the road, from an unknown number.
"Hi!" a cheery voice bursts through the phone as you answer; it might just be the flip-phone, but it sounds like she's on speaker. "This is Inka Shimazaki, an' the vampires told me I could find you here in Barcelona, but we dunno where you're at!"

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-12-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:52 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
Some time on the beach was just the thing, most of the worries that were weighing on Natalia's mind faded while she was lying in the sun or swimming in the Mediterranean. Once the sun starts going down it's time to call it a day, though she resolves to come back tomorrow. At least there's plenty of things to do at night, many of which are right on the beack. Though the buzzing from the ratty phone in her pocket may indicate other plans. Natalia picks up the phone without saying a word, there's only one person, or persons, who would be calling her, scammers and robocalls aside. She was expecting someone a bit more businesslike than the voice on the other end though. "Tat was fast, I was hoping for a longer vacation. I was at te beach, now I am right outside of Shôko. Nightclub on te beach. You have good timing, anoter few minutes and tere's no way I would have heard te phone," she answers, noise from a gathering crowd already forcing her to speak up.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:04 AM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Wither (and Sapph)
"I can call back tomorrow!" Inka offers. "I can find stuff to do tonight if you wanna vay-cay-shun, cause I sorta need a break too, but not too long cause I got important things coming up soon, so we'd hafta get brunch or something in the morning. Plus nightclubs are, like, the worst places to have conversations like what you probably wanna ask me, double plus Spanish brunch is super good if you know where to get it."

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-13-2019 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:29 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
"From what I have been told I would expect it has been a long day for you too. And yes, I expect a loud, public place is not te place for te sort of tings I want to talk about. I am fine with tomorrow since it has been a... long day and I could use a good night's sleep for once. But I have no idea where to get brunch, I have never been to Barcelona up until tis afternoon. I am guessing not one of tose bright, sunny, outdoor patio type places?" Natalia asks, just making an assumption based around the whole bright and sunny thing.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:29 AM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Wither (and Sapphire)
"Let's go to Einxampling!" Inka declares. "It's super good. I'll text you the address and we can meet there at like... ten tomorrow? And a-duh it's got a patio, else we'd be too close and everyone could overhear! Even with like, normal ears. Good? It's my treee-eeeaaat..."
Old 09-13-2019, 11:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10646
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Sapphire can't help but break into a smile at Inka's jovial behavior while talking on the phone. "You know, you're a very 'up' person. Are you aware of that?"
She chuckled slightly, clearly being infected by the upbeat emotions. It is a welcome change of pace given what's been happening.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:34 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
"Einxampling? Never heard of it but I will take your word for it. Ten it is, and it is your treat anyway, all te money I have on me is from your organization," the voice on the other end laughs. It's a bit puzzling how she wants to meet in the sunlight, there must be something else going on there, or a vampire's reaction to sunlight was more of a minor irritant than anything else. She's also curious about the other voice, it would seem Inka didn't come alone. Which isn't that surprising, it would seem the vamps tend to travel in pairs at least, judging by her own observations. She doesn't say anything about it though, aside from being curious. "Te veo mañana," she adds before hanging up, having nothing more to add beyond that with the background noise rapidly starting to drown out the phone anyway.

OOCSecond star on the right, straight on 'til morning?

Last edited by PalladiaMors; 09-13-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:20 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Sapphire
Inka laughs as she returns the phone to her pocket. "'Course!" she pronounces. "It's no fun being immortal if you think everything sucks all the time."

She looks to you. "So girlfriend, whaddya wanna do?" she asks. "There's a buncha great restaurants around here we could go to, then get us a hotel room for the night?"

OoC: Gonna try to wrap up Sapph's end in a post or two and then move on to the morning meeting.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-13-2019 at 06:21 PM.