RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Mutants & Masterminds > Arbiters of a New Age M&M 3e
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10646
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Sapphire listened, and remained quiet. She kept up the same stoic look and relaxed posture.
Dracula had ignored her, or simply chosen not to address her. Whichever it was, or whatever the reasons, she was glad for it. It meant that either he thought nothing of her at all, or he simply thought her lesser and therefore not worthy of a response. She preferred to be underestimated, but she wasn't sure if Loki would like that his Champion wasn't even mentioned by the new Vampire King.

She caught all of what he said, and one line in particular stood out to her. ... humans of the world will be subject to a strict examination..." That last word sounded a whole lot like extermination to Sapphire, and not just by pronunciation, but by the way Dracula said it. Even the preceding words about human and subject just made her feel wrong all over.
She began to feel she was sitting in the presence of evil, and no one else was seeing it.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 09-09-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4839
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
"Lord Dracula, what form will this asylum take? Is it just a blanket asylum open to all those that meet the criteria? Or will you have checks in place? As in not letting people use your asylum as a means to escape justice?"
Old 09-09-2019, 04:07 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5525
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Enoch

Enoch listened impassively, almost bored by the civics and Azath's clarifying questions. His mind wandered to his place in all this, how the world stage of the internet would react. With a few tweaks to some existing programs he could have Empy pinpointing reactionary groups, suss out the ones with done degree of verity to their conspiracy theories. From there a little personal research could probably pinpoint where the info was coming from. That information would be in high demand very soon. A small smile formed as he thought of anonymously supplying some of that information himself. For amusement? Profit? To level the field? None of that seemed like a really good reason.

Also, Dracula had offered what amounted to a position statement as only the first order of business. Which meant there was at least one more. Enoch guided his wandering mind back to the business at hand.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:59 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5727
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Wraith, Enoch, Kodama, and Sapphire
Dracula turns his attention to Wraith. "It is a blanket asylum," he repeats. "I will not allow other countries to bring false charges against them to prevent their entry. If a country wishes to bring justice against an individual, they may submit a request for extradition, and the pertaining evidence will be reviewed by our justice system before it is granted or denied. I do not intend to shelter evil, but as we alone can truly determine the intent of an individual, and our capacity to determine actions is at least the equal of another's, we will only accept our own judgments on whether or not an individual has done wrong."

Inka looks over to Sapphire, takes a piece of paper and a pen, and scratches a small note in the margin below the table before tearing it off and handing it over.

"So any individual who had previously committed a crime such as, say, murder or rape, would not be allowed to remain in New Arcadia?"

"If the punishment brought against them for that crime by the courts of their nation had not been served, and the act was truly murder and not self-defense or accidental, or truly rape instead of poor consensual decisions followed by one party's regret, then that is correct; they would be rendered back to the justice system of whichever nation they were subject to."

"And how would a human go about obtaining citizenship?"

"I have been informed that the advance of modern technology allows for the easy distribution and collection of forms; a freely available application, to be submitted via maiil or electronically, with submissions reviewed by chosen committees and followed by interviews and examinations for qualified candidates."
Do no harm, take no guff.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-09-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:19 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Enoch

Enoch wondered idly what purpose was served by the Champions being here... The King had things laid out in his mind already, their presence wasn't advisory. He saw things wrong already... Vampire arrogance masked as civic policy. Assumptions. But civics wasn't Enoch's area, nor was it his place to offer correction.

However, at least one point of interest did need scrutiny, so he spoke up.. A question, if I may. Enoch folds his hands on the table in front of him. What is your standard for asylum? I get people who can do magic, that's fairly demonstrable. But. metahuman, parahuman? Those terms are pretty nebulous. I offer myself as an example. Before I became Plague's champion, I was just a generationally smart kid.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Wraith was more concerned about the plans for asylum and the likely consequences. It looked like a power grab. The countries of the world might not respond directly to the threat of a vampire nation, but it's the kind of thing that gets metahuman child assassin programs started. I really hate the idea of a meta and magic arms race.
Another thing catches his attention. "Lord Dracula, when you say you would go after governments, does that mean you would go after civilian targets?"
Old 09-09-2019, 06:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10646
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Sapphire gets the note from Inka, makes a few marks of her own and hands it back in the same manner.

Hearing Enoch's question she is about to speak up.
Then Wraith speaks up, sounding like he usually does as he's asking about targets. She noted that he was needed here as he thought of war and fighting on a level she hadn't seen in their group. Call it tactics, or whatever you wanted, the kid knew his stuff.

She then spoke up. "If I may? Regarding what Plague's Champion, Enoch has said, I also have a question. Will you apply the same standards of Justice to those who can use magic, or fall in these other categories like Metahumans? Say, if a certain Metahuman for example, is guilty of crimes against a nation, would they be handed over if the proper procedures of extradition were followed? Just like... humans are subjected... to?"

She seemed to be intentionally slowing her comments for emphasis, but one might think the intention is to reflect a previous comment by Dracula on putting the words human and subjects in one form or another together.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Dracula holds up one finger to Wraith while he answers Enoch. "Any repeatable talent, ability, or effect that lays outside the conventionally accepted bounds of human biological or physicial means to produce," he quotes. "A 'generational intelligence' may or may not qualify for immediate admittance, depending on the judgment of those admitting the person, and they may be subject to further voluntary testing, but a later application would most likely be accepted."

He then turns to Wraith. "No, we would not target civilians. However, any official figure claiming to act as a military commander, general, tactician, soldier, or strategist would be vulnerable, including the commanders in chief, as would military bases, materiel in transit, and military headquarters centered in civilian locations, such as The Pentagon in the United States and SHAPE in France."

He looks to Sapphire third. "Yes, Sapphire," he says. "Mages and metahumans will be held to the same standards as less extraordinary humans; we would claim priority in the case of crimes committed on our sovereign soil, once the nation is established, and render them back to the nations if desired; however, I anticipate that we will have an advantage in being able to discipline and contain such criminals and will thus be allowed to retain them until such time as other nations are ready."

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-09-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:03 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
Enoch

So, they had no more sophisticated means of determining who was or would be a metahuman than anyone else. Otherwise the King would have said so in the same arrogant fashion that he'd asserted that the vampire system of justice was superior to any other. That would last until some metahuman came along whose powers were useful enough to the new monarch that it was worth the effort to manipulate things and create enough uncertainty that the government could refuse extradition without losing face. It wasn't corruption, perse, just the same 'what's best for vampires' that had colored their interactions so far.

Enoch listened, did not pursue any clarification of the answer. How are you holding up?

Last edited by gravenimages; 09-09-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:03 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
Wraith nods slowly. That would be better than Enyo. He has a think. "What about the rights of citizens in your state? Are vampires, special ability humans, and normal humans going to have equal rights?"
Old 09-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
"My king, if I may correct you on one point," Dzu requests. Dracula pauses, nods, and leans back as Dzu looks to Enoch. "My apprentices and I are capable of observing the energy emitted by an individual; if the term aura had not been stolen and corrupted by a multitude of fraudulent psychics, I would use it here. Primarily, it is used to determine if an individual is in possession of magical or innate metahuman power, if they are accustomed to wielding it, and of what manner it may be manifested. It cannot detect strictly technological enhancements, but it is far superior to any other system I have encountered."

Dracula doesn't look at Dzu as he resumes speaking, instead looking around to the champions as a whole. "We will do our best to determine the genuine articles," he reiterates, before turning to Wraith. "That is a complicated question," he replies. "No, their rights will not be equal; the intention is to give them equitable rights. Certainly their votes and protests will be valued the same, and their trials impartial. However, certain rights must be unequal to be fair; for example, at the moment, we intend to allow humans to carry certain classes of weapon for the purpose of self-defense against criminals of all persuasions, while vampires may not be permitted to carry the full range that humans are, for the simple reason that a vampire is, in general, far deadlier than a human of similar build and requires fewer implements for their own protection."

He pauses for a moment and nods to Ichabod. "A similar adjustment will likely be encountered when sentencing criminals. If it is called for, an execution is an execution, but fifty years imprisoned for a vampire is far different than fifty years for a human. I loathe the idea of allowing prisoners to rot in cells, particularly when I have been informed that many modern prisons are little more than poorly watched pens where prisoners are allowed to commit further crimes in lieu of any productive means of spending their sentence. At the moment, we envision the primary method of institutional correction to be labor in service of the state; manual for those who are able, secretarial or intellectual for those who cannot, carried out under close supervision in exchange for reduced pay, meals, lodging, et cetera for the duration of the sentence. However, if a human and a vampire were assigned to work, for example, at digging ditches for the same crime, it would not be equitable to assign them the same amount, as it is often easier for a vampire to perform physical tasks, and thus the vampire would be required to do proportionately more. Similarly, were we to encounter a human criminal who could move eighty tons of earth with a thought, assigning them the same amount as a vampire would be grossly unfair, while assigning this hypothetical human to do paperwork would be a gross waste."

"I'm hearing slavery, is anybody else hearing slavery?" Orrin asks, frowning and leaning forward.

Dracula turns his gaze to Orrin. "Slavery turns people into property," he corrects sternly. "A prisoner retains their status as a citizen, and the majority of the rights attached to it. Teaching criminals to work at a useful task in return for food, shelter, medical care, and pay while restricting their location is far from slavery, and it prepares them to return to society with a method of earning apart from committing crimes. I believe the modern term is 'work-release', except the employment will be at a supervised task."

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-09-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:55 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
Enoch

Enoch listens to Dzu's correction, nods appreciatively. So they had a couple of people who could do it. Which meant it could be done. Another thing on his list to do. The question of forced labor for the state hits pretty close to home for the young doctor, and he struggles to keep emotion from his face.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:58 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-09-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
"Orrin, I actually agree with Dracula on the subject of prisons. Most of the time criminals are sent to prison, they're not reforming, or worse they're making connections with other criminals and learning how to crime better. I don't know if it'll work but I think it's still a good idea."
Old 09-09-2019, 09:18 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
Enoch

Enoch's eyes flick briefly to Kali.

Last edited by gravenimages; 09-09-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Closed Thread