RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Mutants & Masterminds > Arbiters of a New Age M&M 3e
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 09-23-2019, 06:38 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5475
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Enoch

I doubt it. I hope not, for the sake of anyone who would go to war with them. Politicians don't get where they are by being first through the fence. Some headstrong dictator might. One that they aren't propping up already. Seven million strong, and not a Ruth among them. Enoch shrugs. If it happens it'll be brief, surgical and thoroughly decisive. Object lesson type stuff.

Enoch looks around, back to the TV. Personally worried more right now about the social ramifications. Hate groups. Extremists. Fanatics. Remnants of the Tradesmen or anyone with more knowledge about vampires makeup and weaknesses than they've learned from Bram Stoker or Stephanie Meyer. How much of my own knowledge of same that it's correct to start acting on as a failsafe.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:28 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13574
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
"No," Natalia agrees. That was never a concern, but she was afraid Inka had missed the bigger picture, something her immortality may have clouded her judgment on. "It's going to be like what happens on te nice yachts in Rio's harbor. It will be like what happens in te mansions. It will be no different tan what happens whenever anyone with privilege meets tose who don't. I fear all tis is going to do is create a permanent underclass for te world. In te world of te haves and te have nots, immortality is te new wealth. And tose with it, are te new 'haves'," she says to the vampiress, explaining the core of what's been bothering her about this whole situation the entire time. This may be a time where a mortal perspective is called for, maybe she should have said something earlier after all.

"But it's worse tan that. The poor have always had te dream tat if tey worked hard, saved their money, and did te right thing, someday tey could escape tat cycle. It rarely happened," she continues with a sigh, knowing the truth of that all too well. "But te dream was always tere. But where's tat dream now?" she asks rather pointedly. If there was a new standard of wealth, as she expected there would be, it was going to be even more lopsided than it already was. "People who aren't immortal, tey never can be. Tey can never work hard enough, save enough, or be good enough. Unless someone who has it decides to share. And I'm willing to bet te ones tey share with will be te ones who are already rich and powerful as mortals. Can you imagine a world where te rich and powerful have complete and total control over who is allowed to be rich and powerful? Because tat's te world now. From now on, we will always be second class," she says somberly, going to take another bite of popcorn but quickly deciding she isn't hungry and setting the bowl aside.

Last edited by PalladiaMors; 09-23-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:02 PM
Lies and Trickery

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5939
Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke
Kodama presents the face of her phone to Gunther so he can read. A silent explanation of future plans and invitation to come along. "Be technical if you want, I know who I'd bet on. If you need a hint they happen to have the body of a Norse God."

She stands up from her well worn seat in Ops and stretches out. "Empyrean, can I get s hot cider the way I like it delivered to my room please?" She asks then regards Gunther expectantly. There's no where else she'd risk taking that call.

"Now we just wait and see what fires crop up and put em out I guess. I can't imagine we'll be bored."
Old 09-23-2019, 10:46 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5727
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Wither and Sapphire
"Cause it's better to let people get used to the idea you exist before you go reinforcing stereotypes," Inka replies immediately, before looking to Natalia in shock.

"Bu-" she stops herself and tries again. "No!" she replies at last. "That's not the point. Being a vampire is a gift, one any vampire COULD give to anyone. I could turn you into a vampire right now if you wanted. The POINT is that you can't just turn everyone who wants to into an immortal supersoldier, cause DUH you can't! Being a vampire isn't something you can buy -well, it's probably going to be like on the way-down-low black market-, but it IS something you can earn, by not being a bad person!"

Wraith
"Fortunately for us, Lady Athena has no such tunnel vision," Azath assures. "I will let everyone know the moment she informs me of anything of import. There are already clergymen railing against the vampires and it has not yet been thirty minutes."

Kodama
Gunther reads the screen and nods. "I'm in," he says. "How much are we telling them?"

Enoch
"That makes sense," Lee agrees. "I can't say I'm sad that's not my decision to make." He frowns. "Is Dracula really their king? That seems like either an awfully strange coincidence, or Mr. Stoker has some explaining to do."
Do no harm, take no guff.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:57 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4839
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
"Azath are you really surprised at that? It's their job to rail against what they perceive as unholy and wicked, even if the reality. I'm pretty sure that somebody will get murdered because people think he is a vampire, but it'll turn out he was just strange, an odd duck. People do stupid things when they're scared." Wraith said calmly. "Empyrean, which champion of Death is corporeal right now?"
Old 09-23-2019, 10:58 PM
Lies and Trickery

Tools
User Statistics
Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke
"I dunno... I mean, I don't really want to throw everything on them right away... but..." Kodama sighs, chatting quietly away as they head for her room but being aware enough to clam up if other people crowd the hallway. "I mean if they're scared I'd-... I don't know. I don't know. I don't know what's smart here, you know, if that's the case. Or if they like, demand I come home, or... well in that case I'd probably say we've got some wicked good security." She prods Gunther's bicep. "We'll see how it goes. Maybe we can say our 'company' has a little experience with the stuff they're talking about, and that it's not really anything to worry about. It's still people at the end of the day."
Old 09-23-2019, 11:13 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Wraith
"Nimrod," the Empyrean replies cheerfully. "But he isn't here."

Kodama
"They're gonna ask us if we work for the vamps," Gunther guesses. "With how vague we've been, your folks seem smart enough to connect those dots, even if they're wrong."
Old 09-23-2019, 11:53 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
"Tat's te whole problem though," Natalia answers with a shake of her head. "Immortality, free from sickness, super-strength, better tan human in every way, an' te only tradeoff is having to avoid tanning beds? And tey have a monopoly on it. Nobody can enjoy tat 'gift' without teir permission. Tey have a complete position of superiority and nobody can ever hope to have what tey have on teir own. If immortality is te new wealth, te 'haves' absolutely dictate what te 'have nots' are allowed to have. Tat's... kind of te whole definition of a second class citizen," she counters. She's not really trying to start an argument for the sake of it, but there's no way she's the only one in the world who has thought of this, which means it will come up. And from Natalia's perspective, it's hard to argue against. The vampires did have absolute control over who would and wouldn't be give the "gift" of immortality, something nobody else could offer barring an occasional intervention from the gods, Heaven, or Hell. "What if teir was a company tat had a cure for cancer, and only let people tey thought deserved to live have access to it? And it was a cure tat nobody else could ever research? You can't let everyone who wants it have it, so who decides who gets to live and who gets to die? And why should any group have tat kind of power?"
Old 09-23-2019, 11:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10646
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Sapphire had never heard Inka speak about being a Vampire before in quite this manner. After 600 years she had to not only have learned to live with it, but to live with herself, who she was, and accept it. The young girl tagged with the nickname of C.C. had gone through the same thing, but she hadn't the luxury of time on her side.
Blue was a way out, a way at a life that didn't kill people or watch people die from what you allowed around yourself, so much so that you began to accept it. No, she wasn't going to be a statistic, so she grabbed on to Blue with every fiber of her being and didn't look back.

She wasn't sure she fully agreed with Inka about earning the right to be a Vampire, but she knew where she was coming from.

Calmly, while still eating her popcorn slowly and watching the tube, she said, "In case you haven't been listening all the way Natalia, let me
cut right to it.
We didn't ask to be who we are, any more than you did. The Vampires are here, just like people like me and you are here, and the world is just dealing with it all at once instead of like a slow leak. Inka is comfortable in her own skin, proud of who she is, who she's become.
Same with me.
We may not like exactly how this is all unfoldin', but it's better than ripped out throats in the streets that're flowin' with blood.
We're not here to sit on our asses. We're here to try and keep the balance, the peace. That's all."
Old 09-23-2019, 11:58 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Enoch

Yep. Freshly, ah, returned from the dead... Undead? As it were. Enoch confirms. Maybe he talked to someone who knew the truth. I dunno. He shrugs. Apparently the Van Helsings are a thing too if it's any consolation.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:11 AM
Lies and Trickery

Tools
User Statistics
"Be fun to finesse that one." Kodama grumbles, "But I think I can manage it. Say we worked with a few, couldn't really say anything until now. They're a little kooky but fine. I don't know how to bridge the whole... super power thing though. I mean, do you think regular people believe that because someone claiming to be a vampire proclaimed it over the TV?"
Old 09-24-2019, 01:17 AM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Kodama
"Well, I mean, there's the direct approach," Gunther offers. "Tell them to wait out on the lawn, I grab you in one hand and the hammer in the other, arrive on the front edge of a thunderstorm." His smile tells you that he's mostly joking. "Or we could have Epirus happen to swing by a city when your dad's on a trip there, or go on that cruise and arrange for Fathom to... I dunno, do mermaid things. Or even Orrin. He knows what it's like to have a family on the line and he's probably less weird than Enoch."

Wither and Sapphire
"And the gods' say that people're supposed to die, mostly," Inka declares with a grateful nod toward C.C.. "So... so there." She slumps back in her seat, apparently having exhausted her eloquence. "And anyway, anyone who gets to be a vampire hasta obey Dracula from then on; like, you WANT to," she adds. "No way to change it. So it's trading death for service. 'Less Kami-Sama breaks more of 'em out, but I don't think that's gonna happen."

Enoch
"Ten minutes ago, I wouldn't have thought that Hugh Jackman could have started World War 3," Lee jokes with a forced smile. "I guess the question is... do we just keep living life as usual? This house is wonderful, but I'm starting to wonder how long we can live here in secret."

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-24-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:34 AM
Lies and Trickery

Tools
User Statistics
Kodama smirks at Gunther's mostly-joke. Being carried by him on the front edge of a thunderstorm sounded close to a person fantasy. It'd probably be less terrifying than her arriving on the back of Rakag or one of the other Dragons though. "Probably only want to include your family on being in the know. So Fathom, maybe, down the line. Water's a good deal less scary than fire." Kodama says, thinking it through. "But we're not there yet, anyway."

Last edited by Shylocke; 09-24-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:51 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
And that's what it comes down to - "the gods said so". No denial of mortals being second-class people, not even any mention of it. True Natalia had powers, and that put her ahead of the ordinary person, but the step up was fairly insignificant compared to what the vampires were offering. And the news that they all had to obey Dracula like some sort of eternal slave didn't help matters, much the opposite. So far everything had just driven all her thoughts home. "I can't be te only one who's thought of tis. Maybe you haven't noticed, but tere's been a growing divide in te world between te wealthy and powerful and tose who have neither. Tere have been protests, riots in some cases. And now you throw a divide of power like tis out there, a gap between te elite few in power and those who struggle just to live te likes of which te world has never seen, and don't expect problems? But what do I know, I'm not even immortal," she says in a distant tone, leaning back in the chair and blankly staring at the TV. Inka's attitude didn't escape her - "it's OK if gods and immortals make those life and death decisions". That was how she read it anyway, and just reinforced the idea that she, like every other mortal, was insignificant and had no input in all the decisions being made for them. It wasn't an idea that she liked.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:00 AM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
Enoch

Cabin fever? Enoch smiles in empathy. I get that at the base a bit. I... Ugh. I mean, there's not a nonzero chance something happens, but I doubt it'd much higher than anyone elses'. So... You want to what... Move out? Back to Arizona?