RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-30-2019, 03:26 PM
Bowties are COOL...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3076
TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor
Yeah, I feel yuz. Sometimes you put so much care into detailing a profile, and then suddenly you let them loose on the world and you're like "Dear God. What have I done?" when they start acting like a sociopath or something. The reverse is true with evil characters. You wanted Hannibal Lecter but you end up with Dr. Doom or something. Even a serial killer character I created ended up having to steer the group in a more moral direction.

I've yet to get what is written on the tin.

But again, backgrounds and justifying all of those niche feats and features takes the most time for me. Personality is organic based in this foundation, and dynamic based on the story as it plays out. It's fun to evolve.

Last edited by TheGoodDoctor; 10-30-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:04 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58946
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I tend to have the loose background and idea of my PC, but like many, it's the events in the presence of others that really shape them...often in a different direction than intended.

I thought it would be fun to have a young witch, kind of cocky and bold, fearless the way young ones are before the world grinds them down. After the first encounter, things began to move, and she became a bit younger, and less fearless because she knew everything, and more fearless because she was naive, and still thought of the world as good and wholesome. Eventually, she wasn't a cocky and bold young adult witch, she became the fearless via naivety young sister of the party, the kind of kid sibling you find on the edge of the barn roof, with a blanket and pile of hay below, knowing that if she tried hard enough, she could fly. Or, land softly.

Built a grizzled woodsman that I thought would be a wise scout and leader, and he became a cynical, grumpy grandfather to everyone. More of a shepherd, less of a scout. Like thinking you were building a Liam Neisen, and ending up with a Walter Mathau. And a young quiet sorcerer, who I thought was going to be a wild experimenter and bold explorer of magic and the realms, who was greatly scarred by his first real encounter with terror, and is now a shy, reclusive coward.

The best PC's never end up like you intended.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:25 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6584
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
I'd like to do bullet point backgrounds. I can come up with decent ideas most of the time but I get tripped up in fleshing out the backstory. I do much better working off of others in the actual game. I'm no writer that is for sure. I think my writing has improved tremendously since I first came to these boards Back when it was dndonline before mythweavers was even thought about. Still not taking sides on that one. Yet here I am....way back when. I'm still working on a character for this game. Not sure if Shabti is an allowed race but if it were I have an idea for a two pistol fighter. His original body lived in the old west. He was a gun-slinger from the old Texas territory. Now he is about 1500 years or a bit older. He uses two blaster pistols or even a blaster rifle if it is called for. Francis "Two Pistol Pete" Maguson.

Mechanical wise he's a Soulknife Soulbolt. I think I could go with Elan race as well and make it work but the description of the Shabti just fit perfectly for this concept.

Last edited by ricktur63; 10-30-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:07 PM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5533
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
See, I'm one of the people that gets married to the concept. In this case it happened I looked for a class combo that fit my desired background for a game of such nature. Most other times however I have a character concept appearance I want to fill in and have to adapt a background to be suitable for the campaign. Rarely do I ever have wide choice in background.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:49 AM
Damn the Torpedoes!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9318
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Writeup for Kaldra, the primitive human stalker of men (Slayer) is complete. I have most of her mechanics figured out, but I don't have items done or a sheet drawn up yet, though most of it is sitting in Pathbuilder. I will get those finished as soon as possible (Friday?), but the writing itself is done.

Thank you!
Old 10-31-2019, 03:01 AM
Bowties are COOL...

Tools
User Statistics
TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor
Finito. My god, my brain.

I don't know why I am unable to condense my writing sometimes.

I need a beer. G'night.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:47 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End
I find my best characters are developed when I have an ongoing dynamic in mind for how they will react and behave. Something as simple as motivations that are continuous, a mental/reactionary complex, the push and pull of another personality. Those are the ones where I can expand the personality to general circumstances, then plot out a few background points and see where the characters will logically lead me. Often times they'll grow from there before the story is written fully and I have to run through a few iterations.

Appearances are my struggle point. Actions and visuals are much more conceptual in my mind. I would be content saying a character had discerning eyes and a sly grin and leave it there. The rest of them exists in some form but that's irrelevant until it's not.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:51 AM
Bowties are COOL...

Tools
User Statistics
It's actually fascinating to see how different people approach writing, each with their own strengths and weaknesses
Old 10-31-2019, 03:49 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58946
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I just want the selecting to be over!

I am currently in the fewest games ever, they are running slow, and this would give me something to do this weekend.

But, I

must

be

patient.

Ugghhhhhhhhhh.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:28 PM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3799
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
I'm pretty much in the same boat, of my four games one has grinded to a standstill and I'm unsure if it's gonna start back up again, another I know will pick up the pace again, then one I'm waiting for more people to post in and another where I really should make a post but there's nothing meaningful I can do...

This thread is pretty much the most action I'm getting here.

Is this what it feels like to be a married man hoping to get some action?

Well, I'm still owed a post, guess I'll go do that. And then Cordyceps' stat sheet.

Last edited by Sirviantis; 10-31-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:45 PM
Damn the Torpedoes!

Tools
User Statistics
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Kaldra stepped on too many toes. Out of respect for my fellow applicants, I have withdrawn my application. If time permits I will consider something more original, but may not manage to figure anything out at this point.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:33 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodDoctor View Post
It's actually fascinating to see how different people approach writing, each with their own strengths and weaknesses
One of my favorite ways to write is in second person. I once created a character named Yew so that I could write in third and second at once. Got too confusing for the non English readers tho lol.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:04 PM
Chaos Elf Fun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1154
Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla
Added some extra juicy stuff to the RP side of things. I'll highlight them.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:48 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 119
Librarian Librarian
You folks all look like a well established gaming group already. It's super daunting.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:24 PM
Damn the Torpedoes!

Tools
User Statistics
Name: First Mate Gorbzz
Race: Goblin
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Class: Gunslinger 12 (Black Powder Vaulter)

Background:

Physical Description:

Personality:

Last edited by Ziether; 11-03-2019 at 02:19 AM.