RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-22-2019, 12:54 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8749
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Thanks for the review and Addicus is now, tentatively, complete. Above zero chance of adding a bit about his kids being born.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:23 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End
@sirviantis sphere casting wouldn't count for qualification of that feat right?

And maybe I missed it in here, how is stat generation working? Point buy or rolls?
Old 10-22-2019, 08:36 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58975
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Name: Malifeek the Jackal
Race: Fetchling
Classes: Master Summoner/Shadow caller
Intended Role: debuffer/striker

Old 10-22-2019, 08:52 PM
The Force in Balance

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2575
BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries
Empress Indigo Vayn
right-aligned image
Name: Indigo Vayn
Race: Human
Alignment: Lawful Neutral (leaning towards Lawful Evil)
Level/Class: Level 12 Kineticist

Physical Appearance: Indigo Vayn is a slender, well-toned woman with deep blue skin and glowing red eyes, standing at above average height for a human woman at 5'9". She is bald with black eyebrows. Holding a conversation with Indigo can be a bit disconcerting if only because her glowing red eyes show no pupils, and thus no hint of if she is looking at you directly, or if her attention is on something else entirely. Indigo prefers to dress in royal purples and blacks with gold highlights, usually in clothes that are simultaneously regal and practical. She forgoes skirts and dresses in favor of simple tops, pants, and boots that also leave enough skin exposed in just the right places - mostly her upper chest, shoulders, and upper arms - to appear both inviting and dominant. Her attire is designed so that if anyone ever questions her rule, she is ready to fight at a moment's notice. Apart from her typical attire, Indigo wears a gold headband with a ruby jewel on her forehead as a 'crown' of sorts.

Personality: Indigo's childhood was full of nothing but pain and hatred. She was never afraid, for she was determined to have her revenge on her torturers. Once she escaped, she reveled in her power, but her first use of it caused her appearance to change drastically, so she quickly learned that control was just as important as raw strength, and she adopted this mindset to taking a more deliberate approach to all things in life. Nothing her father did could ever redeem him in her eyes, but she would gladly take his gifts, and she learned to appreciate individuals based on their own merits. Kindness from others would be remembered, as would scorn, and each would reap what they had sown one day. Ironically, the one trait her father did pass on was perhaps his defining trait: a need to be remembered in legacy. Indigo's life became a contest to have her own legacy outshine and outlive her father's, and this became the center of all her actions. She would do whatever it took to be remembered, and remembered positively. Manipulating, conquering, torturing, all of these and more she would do to others to secure her place in history. But once her place was secure, she would make peace and extend olive branches. She yearned to be loved, but also to be feared just enough so as not to be challenged. Maintaining that balance of love and fear in the eyes of others, whether through flattery, diplomacy, manipulation, intimidation, or any other means... That would be Indigo's mission in life.

Backstory:
Born as an illegitimate daughter to Sovereign Polus Trask, leader of an interplanetary empire, Indigo's mother was held prisoner in the royal palace. She was kept safe as a trophy and then kept under guard until she gave birth, and then was executed. Trask wanted a strong heir, and he didn't much care if the heir was born of his wife or one of many concubines, so long as that heir had power and the will to use it. Indigo was told that her mother's surname had been 'Vayn' as the only thing of her mother that she would ever know, and was placed into numerous experiments to test her psychological and physiological durability as soon as she was old enough to endure the most basic of trials.

One day, the constant poking and prodding yielded a result. Indigo 'Trask' began to lash out with electricity flying from her body. Unable to control it, it stormed wildly around her. The resulting therapy to nurse her back to health left lasting side effects. Indigo had become permanently bald, her skin had turned a deep blue shade, and her eyes became pools of glowing red light. Some of the scientists thought that this was indicative of the experiments having failed, but after enduring nine years of torture, Indigo blasted her detractors with electricity until they relented, forced to acknowledge her power.

Polus Trask was impressed, and he brought her up from the laboratories to live with him in the residencies of the palace. She was groomed to be his heir, learning about statecraft, court etiquette, economics, military strategy and tactics, and everything else she would need to be an effective leader. Indigo played the part of the dutiful daughter, but deep down, she hated her father for the life she had been forced to endure up until now. She understood that he didn't see her as a person, but only as a means to an end. All of her lessons included emphasis on the legacy that she would inherit, and how it would be her duty to uphold it.

Indigo came to hate that legacy, and as Polus Trask raved about his grand empire, it became clear that he had no ambition to expand it or to really do anything of meaning outside of maintaining the status quo. While the legacy of the Trask dynasty was not remotely interesting, the power of the throne was very enticing. Indigo knew that she would be able to take the Sovereignty in places her pitiful father could only dream of doing.

Indigo made it a point to tour the various planets of her father's domain, getting to know the local leaders and establish good relationships with them while promising to bring their complaints and petitions to her father's ear. She never did relay such messages, if only so that she could tailor her response when delivering 'his' replies to them. Her father might not care about those under his rule, but Indigo surely did, if only so that they could help her rise to power. She made deals in secret, promises of relief in return for support when the time came. Indigo had also made sure to endear herself to the populace at home, and especially among the social elite and the military leadership. Unlike the colonies, she couldn't keep their suggestions from her father, but she could listen and learn and give actual input to give her clout with the real powers in the empire.

On her twenty-fifth birthday, Indigo proposed to her father that they engage in a series of war-games, with each of them commanding forces against each other as both a display of the Sovereignty's might and as a test to see how worthy she truly was if it came to defending their territory against any hostile neighbors. Polus Trask approved, and a few months later, the games were on. Alas, where her father was convinced that it was all for show, Indigo had used her growing influence to signal forces from every corner of the Trask Sovereignty to converge on her position during the games, where she issued a public denunciation of her father. He had become complacent, he had neglected the needs of his subjects, and he had allowed himself to become vulnerable. Such traits were not fit for a leader of men, and casting off the Trask name, Indigo sentenced her father to death by a storm of laser fire.

Taking her mother's name, Indigo Vayn was crowned Empress three months before her twenty-sixth birthday, and the Trask Sovereignty was renamed as the Azure Empire. Indigo had despised her father, but she had taken her lessons on how to rule to heart. She understood when to listen and when to stop listening and demand that others heed her words. She learned when to approach a situation with velvet gloves and when to don iron gauntlets. Whatever free time she had apart from statecraft was devoted to mastering her elemental powers. Such things had not been allowed under her father's reign, but Indigo wanted to expand her Empire, and she wanted to lead from the front to inspire loyalty in her own armies and fear in her enemies.

Shortly after she turned thirty, Empress Vayn officially began a policy of expansion that had been started in secret years earlier, in some cases before her own coronation. While visiting many of the neighboring systems, Indigo had learned which outlying systems were vulnerable to coercion, which were ripe for taking by force, and had planted the seeds for her takeover during those official visits years ago. Playing off of fears of neighboring powers, Empress Vayn successfully annexed a number of planets for their supposed protection, and in exchange, their resources would fuel her Empire.

And Indigo was most insistent that it be her Empire. The Trask Sovereignty had been a respectable power that had never grown to true heights of glory. The Azure Empire would be a great power, and Empress Indigo Vayn would be remembered for her vision, her charm, her cunning, and her might. This motivation drove all of her actions, and the expansionist policies that grew from it ended up bringing her into conflict with other galactic powers.

While Indigo trusted her fleet admirals and her generals, whenever it came time to storm an enemy capital, Indigo would always take the field. She would summon storms of wind and lightning to buffer her foes and cow them into submission. The first time an enemy leader refused to submit to her authority, Indigo felt her anger begin to burn. How dare these meager worms question her? She who had risen to greatness from nothing! And so she personally tortured those who refused her mercy with electric shock after electric shock until they either submitted or died.

The expansion continued for five years, after which Indigo was content to rest for a time to consolidate her power, and as things stood, the Azure Empire was the uncontested power in the region. Now was the time to mend fences and reassure others that things would be getting back to normal now. And Indigo kept her word about not expanding anymore. Early on, Indigo had learned the value of maintaining a reputation. People needed to take her seriously, and for that to happen, her word had to mean something, and so she made a point to make her words always count, and to back them up when needed.

Unfortunately, shortly after she turned thirty-eight, after three years of peace and contentment, disaster struck the capital of the Azure Empire. Another of Polus Trask's children, a man who went by the name of Erik Trask, revealed himself in a pirate broadcast. Indigo initially dismissed him, believing him to be nothing more than a one-time chosen heir who had been discarded once Indigo's potential had been discovered. Unfortunately, Erik Trask did not take his defeat well, and had spent decades trying to worm his way back into power. His solution was horrifying to Indigo on many levels. In his desperation to spite her, Erik Trask deployed a bioweapon on the capital planet that spread remarkably fast. Indigo was shocked that someone could be so petty as to resort to such indiscriminate means that would not only kill her, but billions of people whose only crime was to live on the same planet as her.

As a last act, Indigo ordered all traffic to and from the capital planet to be halted, with anyone attempting to land on or leave the planet to be shot down, and then for the fleet to burn the planet with all conventional weapons at their disposal, then to permanently quarantine the planet and move the seat of government to one of the commercial hub worlds. She issued orders to officials in the military and the civilian government to take up leadership positions in place of those who would die in the quarantine, and urged them to find and end Erik Trask. Most importantly, she urged them to make sure that the Azure Empire lived and thrived, and to make sure that everything that she had accomplished be remembered. Even if she would die, Indigo's legacy would live on.

Once content that her orders had been carried out as best they could, Indigo addressed the populace to let them know what was happening, to thank them for their loyalty, and to face death with dignity and pride if they could. Law enforcement was told to keep order until the inevitable claimed them all, and finally, not wanting to die painfully at the hands of a horrible disease, Indigo turned her throne to face out her window, out at her Empire, and put a laser pistol to her head and pulled the trigger.

Empress Indigo Vayn had been content that her Empire would outlive her even as she succumbed to the final fate of all things. Only somehow, she wasn't dead. Where she was, she couldn't say, but she wasn't dead. What destiny lay in wait for her, she could not say. But if she had any say in the matter, then she would find a way back to the Azure Empire and reclaim what was hers. So long as there was a chance that her legacy could be undone, and there was anything she could do to prevent it, then she would take whatever action was necessary.

Last edited by BattleFries; 10-27-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:51 PM
The Force in Balance

Tools
User Statistics
BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries
Before I forget, if I want to create a character sheet to help flesh out my application, how are ability scores determined at level one? If it's point buy, how many points do we get? Do we roll? Is it fixed numbers that we apply as we like to our stats? Something else entirely?
Old 10-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Chaos Elf Fun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1154
Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla
Creating a sheet is encouraged. It is 25 Point Buy
Old 10-23-2019, 10:36 AM
The Force in Balance

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you! I must have missed that somewhere. My apologies if I overlooked something obvious. ^_^;;
Old 10-23-2019, 11:08 AM
The Force in Balance

Tools
User Statistics
Sorry for the additional post, but I just want to make sure this gets seen, but are we buying gear for our characters on our character sheets? If so, what kinds of magic items are allowed, and how many? And if we're doing this, how much gold do we get? Is it the standard gold for level 12 characters on the Pathfinder SRD, or is it a different amount?

Again, my apologies for all of these questions that should probably have easy answers. If I missed the answer to this question as well, then I'm terribly sorry. Personally, I'm on the Autism spectrum at a place where things that seem obvious to many people don't quite seem that way for me, so that's me trying to explain my silliness. Not trying to excuse it, just trying to be understood. Thank you all for your patience.]

EDIT: Also, do we roll for HP, or do we take the average of each hit die, like in DnD 5e? (So sorry! It's been a while since I've been in a Pathfinder game)

Last edited by BattleFries; 10-23-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:56 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1566
Panthas Panthas Panthas Panthas Panthas Panthas Panthas Panthas Panthas Panthas Panthas
Alphaeus
I've been pondering this game awhile and I'm thinking of creating a character application. For that, while perusing classes, I have a question.

For the Gunsmoke Mystic I'm trying to figure out the reading of Flowing movements.

"At 1st level, a gunsmoke mystic gains Rapid Reload as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites, and applies that feat to any firearm she wields. At 5th level, a gunsmoke mystic can reload a two-handed firearm as if it were a onehanded firearm, and a one-handed firearm as if it were a hand or light crossbow. "

So with Rapid Reload and then the 5th level bump up, am I reading this correctly in that that would then make a two handed firearm being reloaded in a move action?

Also, I may have missed it, but what firearm cultural level are we looking at here, advanced or just early, very rare, emerging, etc?

Last edited by Panthas; 10-24-2019 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:38 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 84
Monad
RENE DE VERRERENE DE VERRE

Human Rebirth Psychic

Last edited by Monad; 11-13-2019 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:41 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 84
Monad
Alright, it's finally done! Eagerly awaiting review.

As a side note, please report any odd choices of phrasing you come across. I've laboured over this for too long- it's become an unruly beast, and I really must release it to the wild now, tame it later. Because, of course, posting at 10PM never backfires...In any case, I hope to join you all in a fantastic campaign!
Old 10-24-2019, 08:37 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 119
Librarian Librarian
Man, this looks like a really cool campaign. It's like... Demon Souls and Doctor Who mashed together with a sprinkle of Spelljammer. I wish Pathfinder had an equivalent to the Binder from 3.5, I think it would fit in really well. Hopefully you're not about to pick players, I need a minute to think something up.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:42 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Man, this looks like a really cool campaign. It's like... Demon Souls and Doctor Who mashed together with a sprinkle of Spelljammer. I wish Pathfinder had an equivalent to the Binder from 3.5, I think it would fit in really well. Hopefully you're not about to pick players, I need a minute to think something up.
There's been no deadline set yet, and apparently the dm will give us at least a weeks notice. Honestly the quality of submissions is really asking me to up my game. Some people have made multiple applications! I might just do the same actually, and speaking of because the dm is encouraging homebrew I might attempt a recreation of a 3.5 class myself, the legendary Dragonfire Adept!
Old 10-24-2019, 09:44 PM
Bowties are COOL...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3169
TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor TheGoodDoctor
Does anyone else find backstories to be particularly difficult? Especially with higher levels and custom materials incorporated into the character.

On one end I'm like "What would be realistic?" for a fantasy character. On the other I'm like "But Dude, Prose n' ****!" And it's hard to remember to go with only one kind of narrative perspective when all the personalities in my head are screaming their own spin on things...

Or is it just me?

Last edited by TheGoodDoctor; 10-24-2019 at 09:46 PM.