RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-27-2019, 05:51 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6584
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Alphaeus said re-roll 1 and 2's for HP's, and stats are normally rolled in the game thread.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:14 PM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3799
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
@Battlefries: I seem to remember Alphaeus mentioning a 25 point buy, and I'm positive DMs don't appreciate rolling for stats in the game thread (DMs get the privilege to look at secreted things in posts in the threads they DM, but not the recruitment thread. I didn't look at your rolls, so I'm not accusing you, but it's possible to secret undesireable outcomes and then re-roll them in the recruitment thread and get away with it.)

@Alphaeus: I've been googling sci-fi shields, and most of them involve hard light constructs, not the best grounds to build a hoverboard on. Instead how about I make the arcane focus have the property of completely stopping time (same action as drawing a shieldon command) disc shape nearby, thus creating a hard atmosphere/zero momentum shield?

That would leave me without flavour for a flying carpet (I just don't find it to make sense for Father to have an enchanted carpet). I'm still undecided about how I want to flavour that, thinking about either a magitech hoverbike or another property of the I was going to be using his lodestone, so it'd probably be saying he's moving the world around him rather than actually moving himselfarcane focus

Also, I was thinking about the feat Create spellbook (and reflavouring it into holograms/illusions). The feat references the spellbooks part here. But that doesn't really list how much extra magic talents I'm allowed to list. Any thoughts? I've currently got 6 spells listed in my spellbook beyond the 20 that I'd normally have (18 by the incanter table +2 starting talents). Should I trim it down more, can I add more spells to my spellbook?
Old 10-27-2019, 06:19 PM
The Force in Balance

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2575
BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries
EEP! I'm so sorry! I didn't know where else to roll them! Alphaeus, if you want me to reroll stuff elsewhere, or in secret, then I will. I am so sorry! I've never had to have a complete character sheet with rolls needed for an app before! Again, my sincerest apologies.

EDIT: Made my rolls secret for you, Alphaeus. I did it as quick as I could. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Last edited by BattleFries; 10-27-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:39 PM
Damn the Torpedoes!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9318
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleFries View Post
EEP! I'm so sorry! I didn't know where else to roll them! Alphaeus, if you want me to reroll stuff elsewhere, or in secret, then I will. I am so sorry! I've never had to have a complete character sheet with rolls needed for an app before! Again, my sincerest apologies.

EDIT: Made my rolls secret for you, Alphaeus. I did it as quick as I could. Again, my sincerest apologies.
I saw you rolling stats originally. As was mentioned, it's 25 point buy. Rolled HP.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:43 PM
The Force in Balance

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2575
BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries
Thank you, all. And again, so sorry for being stupid!
Old 10-27-2019, 06:49 PM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
I hardly think anyone will look badly on you for that, I just thought I'd let you know now. I don't assume you'd actually cheat HP, and I don't think anyone really suspects anyone. I'm just letting you know why it's generally not done.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:53 PM
LͫOͤRͫDͤ

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3741
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
@Xen (and others)

I'll do another review once this next batch of apps is done, and older WIPs have been polished off.

@Sirvantis

The shield option is fine. As to the spellbook...I still need more background in Spheres to give a solid ruling. I've begun studying that ruleset during this thread.

@Battle

No worries, you're fine. We can wait until acceptance to roll HP. Or you could roll elsewhere (online roller or IRL dice) and I would trust you on it. Preferably wait, however.

Business as Usual, Posting Normal
Old 10-27-2019, 08:09 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End
On item buying, can we combine magic items and use the 1.5x multiplier to the lower cost item? I've slapped muleback cords on a cloak of resistance because carry weight sucks for low strength characters. Now that it mind I won't abuse the option.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:47 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58946
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
@Sirviantis

Why not try this?

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/gener...s/magic-trick/
Old 10-27-2019, 10:42 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 119
Librarian Librarian
Lennon Haring, the Baytown Bomber

Good, because I was really starting to like this character!
Lennon Haring
Name: Lennon Haring
Class: Alchemist (Bombardier) 12
Race: Vanara
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Description: Haring stands just over five feet tall and is covered head to toe in thick, mahogany colored fur. Most beings wouldn't consider his simian-like features conventionally attractive and his golden stare a tad too sharp for comfort. He possesses a long, narrow tail roughly three feet in length that displays a high degree of dexterity, covered in the same fine fur as the rest of his pelt. He wears a combination of light chain and leather padding for ease and silence of movement. He often speaks softly as years of inhaling caustic chemicals have done awful things to his voice.

Haring has worked on his own for many years but he's no stranger to teamwork. In his youth he deeply appreciated the trust and camaraderie of fellow soldiers. Haring's curiosity is innate but tempered with an aged wisdom. He enjoys being the first to discover things and dole out that knowledge selectively. In combat he is a soldier, trained to take down the most dangerous target as effectively as possible. In the company of others he practices a deceptively docile receptivity in the way he files away bits and pieces of knowledge for further use, rarely raising open conflict.

The sheet is mostly finished but there are some fine details I'm working on. I've gotta spend gold on equipment. Reading above it seems like I need to wait and hope for selection before doing any HP roles. I assumed two traits? I didn't pay much attention to sources I just kind of assumed whatever worked. I'll change whatever I need to if you happen to see something out of place. Anyway, thanks for the opportunity!
Old 10-28-2019, 04:55 AM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
Honestly, I generally don't like magic trick, It's a feat that imo takes some functionality that I might get from a spell with out of the box thinking, and locks it behind a feat and random skill ranks.

Besides, I've never really read any magic tricks that I think I wouldn't come up with if I needed them

Furthermore, Father is a spherecaster, that means among other things that his spell list is limited, and floating disk isn't on it. All my spells fit my theme though, and that's amazing! I actually feel like father's a time machine.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:22 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58946
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Ah well, the lack of disc spell dooms that idea...

well, that and your dislike of it too!
Old 10-28-2019, 11:20 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2993
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
My app is complete. Sheet basically done. Have place holders for HP and Equipment.

Last edited by Kshnik; 10-28-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:00 PM
The red pandas are coming

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17601
LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodDoctor View Post
Does anyone else find backstories to be particularly difficult? Especially with higher levels and custom materials incorporated into the character.

On one end I'm like "What would be realistic?" for a fantasy character. On the other I'm like "But Dude, Prose n' ****!" And it's hard to remember to go with only one kind of narrative perspective when all the personalities in my head are screaming their own spin on things...

Or is it just me?
I do, because for me characters never fully 'come alive' until a few posts into the game, and they're rarely quite how I envisioned them. No plan survives contact with the enemy turns into no concept survives contact with other players for me.

Which is why I usually don't finish my apps until a couple of days before the deadline
Old 10-29-2019, 07:21 PM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
I never quite thought about it like that. Though I must say I've recently been making a lot of more generic characters. Father is a step away from that safety railing (I mean, he's a time machine with a mold infection, pretty out there). As for backstory, nope, the backstory is allways the easiest for me. Especially with a high level character I get more and more free reign about what I want to do with my character, and more freedom to take it away from any safety railings and "sanity". I actually really like doing high level characters because there's soooo many things I can just get away with.

On the other hand, I usually struggle really bad with personality sections. I've usually got a few ideas about how I'd like to play them but I find it difficult to think up a way to word them. Currently I'm struggling to think of a way of saying Father's totally not sensitive about himself being dependant on Cordyceps, and completely cool with being mechanical allthough he'll insist on having a soul (despite that being a mishmash of imprints of souls).

As for character's panning out differently from the original intent. Tell me about it: My summoner turned into a succubus a couple of months into the game. But I recongised that I was being cringey like a pack of 13-year-olds at a nightclub and turned it down a lot. I also asked my DM to allow me to expand the personality section a bit more to have more of a solid lifeline, worked like a charm, she's much more dimensional now and I'm actually proud of the change and evolution. As for father, really I've been hyped on to make a character with that gnomish fascination for a couple of months now, but gnomes don't fit with the classes that I like to play. Same is true for really really smart wizardly guys who can technobabbly everything to death (kinda like I sometimes try to do), so I think I'd just default to Father's personality based purely on it being what I want to play. That and I pretty much programmed in mood-swings, so anything I really do is in character, kinda.