RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Iron DM Stadium > Iron DM 2019 > Archive
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 06:23 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23415
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Round 1; Match 2: Atua vs Umber vs Imveros vs SilentRain (vs Wyrom)

Round 1; Match 2: Atua vs Umber vs Imveros vs SilentRain (vs Wyrom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 'Honorable' Chairman
right-aligned image
"More toys, more toys! At least I won't get bored here in eternity" With a flash of arcane energy, the four of you find yourselves standing in a broad open area covered with sand made of iron grit. Onyx stands surrounding the battlefield are full of spectators that for some reason you just can't quite make out in detail... but you can hear all of them jeering and hooting as each of the first contestants are introduced. An oddly familiar setting, to some of you. And just beyond the edge of your vision you can make out the outline of a fifth challenger, chained up but ready to be released the moment any one of you stumbles.

Here you will battle on the iron sands, under the watchful eyes of of the great and honorable judges:
  • Squeak
  • Raylorne
  • Bhelogan
Gesturing to four heaping tables with his staff, the Chairman proclaims: As has happened many times before, and must happen again, you will now face off against each other! Only by using the following four ingredients,
  • Captain Red
  • Atlantis
  • Lace
  • Pi
and crafting an encounter with your own talents, can you hope to survive! Two of you will be fortunate enough to be eliminated, a reprieve you each will treasure by the time your time here is done. The other two will be forced to advance into Round 2!

Let the Dungeon Mastering....BEGIN!!
Rules
  • You are to write an encounter using the four items / concepts above. All rules found here are to be followed.
  • The guidelines for the Judges' scoring can be found here. An "encounter" is specifically referencing a single battle, confrontation, or other situation for a group of PCs to come up against, and (hopefully) overcome. It should be something that can be a special, unique, focal point of a campaign.
  • The entry is to be no longer than 1,500 words, which includes *everything* you put into the post. Judges are instructed to stop reading at that time, or to deduct points if you go over. The use of a spell check and word counter is highly recommended.
  • Please make a simple post in this thread when you first read it, to let the judges know have seen it, and that you are on board. It doesn't have to be anything more than "read!", or something like that, though roleplaying it is also perfectly acceptable! Do not edit this post after making it; when it comes time to post your entry, do that in a second, separate post.
  • You have 7 days from the time this post is made to complete and submit your entry (in a new post; don't edit your first post!). It is not expected that you use all this time - the extra time has been given to ensure that, no matter what your timezone, your schedule, your sleep habits, your work or student life, or emergencies that could crop up, you should have ample time to complete your entry. Posting when you are done, and not waiting until the end, is also recommended, and rewarded.
  • You should post your entry into this thread within the generous timeframe, and ensure it is secreted (to the above judges) and spoilerbuttoned. Feel free to also PM your judges to let them know you have posted, if you wish. (DO NOT PM them your entry - just let them know your entry is submitted). If your post is not made within the 7 days, you will be automatically disqualified. If you have issues, be sure to PM Inem *before* your round is closed.
  • Once posted, do not edit your entry. The use of the "preview" function is thus also highly recommended.

Last edited by Inem; 10-27-2019 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Minor Title Fix
Old 10-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19753
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Silver liquid bubbled up from the iron grit as the judges looked on with expectation. The pool grew and a humanoid form slowly rose from it. The man looked around, confusion radiating into the stands.

"What the fork is all this?!"

Fork?! Why the frag can't I say frag?!

He looked down at his metallic form and quickly shook his head. This won't do at all! This host's landscape is cramping my style!

<<RunWrapper.exe>>
<<ErRoR>>
<<RunWrapper.exe(1)>>
<<eRrOr>>

"Ok Imveros, this is why you don't do foundation dives." He whispered to himself before addressing the audience. "I'm about up to here with this bullshirt. Just give me the paydata and I'll be on my way."

DREK! I can't say bulldrek either? What is this, some kind of kiddy trid?

"Ok, ok, you want to hear a story I'll tell you one. Does it really have to have Atlantis in it? You mean like the..." His voice trailed off as the other challengers appeared. "I don't think I'll finish that thought. Too many prying ears."

The silvery form squared its shoulders and cleared it's voice. "Once upon a time..."

Mr. Johnson is paying me double for this. Just for dealing with the language filter alone!
Old 10-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2151
Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua
Atua sits patiently in the waiting room worried whether his little story about a silly deck of cards would be shunned or well received. He twiddles his thumbs to overcome a heavy sense of boredom but it is no use.

Then as he gets up to go to the bathroom for the fifth time, he finds he cannot move. An entity that is unknowable, indescribable outside of the moniker, The Honorable Chairman, enters the room.

Aw man, not him/her/it again. Why does it always come in person. Probably to see us squirm…

A voice reverberates around Atua, possibly within his head, he is not sure. “You have been marked as the Nitrogen Challenger. By itself, this element in too great an amount will choke and asphyxiate, don’t let this happen to you. Instead, use the element as it was meant to be, to nurture and grow. Let your ideas flourish and be fertilised by your namesake. Go now and meet your fellow challengers, but more importantly examine the ingredients and make something greater than the sum of its parts…”

With a blinding flash, Atua is whisked away to another room, one he is familiar with, depressingly so. So they couldn’t change the decor from last time, pity…

As he looks around the room, he notices one of his colleagues/competitors/fellow prisoners, it was hard to ascertain the proper description.

Raising his hand, Atua waves to Imveros “Umm, hello. Looks like you are stuck here with me. I wish you good luck I suppose, but not too much, failing is painful, but winning… is so much worse.”

Atua then looks over to the table with the ingredients. “Oh good, they are here. Right, let me see what we have then.” Moments go by where Atua will lift one up to examine it, then put it down and mumble something to himself.

Once Atua is satisfied, he returns to his part of the arena and prepares himself. Before he gets too busy though, he looks over to Imveros and says “Hey, would you happen to know where the bathroom is? I’m busting!”
Old 10-23-2019, 07:47 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 240
Umber Umber Umber
Umber contemplates in his corner of the arena of iron sands as he overhears announcements and excited chatter. It is not the first time he has been whisked to a realm not his own. So I am the Radon Challenger. I give people lung cancer. This ... is why I'm tragically single. He considers again the ingredients that lie out on the tables before everyone. Oh, hm, I could spin it that way. That might be enthralling enough.

When he is wished good luck, he returns the gesture. He tries not to stare at the Chairman, the judges, or the chained challenger. All goes quiet. The one thing that matters at hand is conjuring the fantasy outside his head and conjuring it well.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:58 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3182
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
The boy tugged at the old man's long sleeves.

"Mr. Rain...Mr. Rain", he said over and over, nearly whining.

Like glaciers lumbering over the ground, his eyes slowly opened to massive effort. He blinked for a moment, his mind still attempting to make sense of his surroundings.

"Come on, they're waiting for you", the boy continued before running away from the chair the old man had been sleeping in.

"Waiting for me, you say? Hmph, of course they are". Slowly rising from the chair, he stretched his back and began shuffling his way toward the entrance to the arena, the odd 'thud' sounding as his staff struck the stones beneath his feet as he did.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 423
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
Roused from his sleepWyrom awoke not on the old cot in his small farmhouse, but on a thick and shimmering grit. Or at least his feet were there, the rest of his body was held back by large iron chains running into slits above him in the stadiums walls.

"What's this about!?! Oh my, is it about that silly essay? It meant nothing really just some bar challenge. . . I thought." He remembered the creepy smile as he spun his tales, knowing something wasn't right. Looks like he should have listened to his gut.

The old man found a position close enough to the wall to allow himself to sit. He closed his eyes and did his best to relax. No point fighting whatever this mess is. Best wait for something to happen.
Current Game:Troubles in Tarn & Running Storm King's Thunder
Old 10-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 240
Umber Umber Umber
Round 1 entry

Last edited by Inem; 10-27-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Revealing Entry!
Old 10-24-2019, 11:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19753
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros

Last edited by Inem; 10-27-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Revealing Entry!
Old 10-25-2019, 01:24 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2151
Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua

Last edited by Inem; 10-27-2019 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Revealing Entry!
Old 10-30-2019, 12:38 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19672
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Scores
CategoryUmberImverosAtua
DM Perspective / The Technical*(15 points)101213
a. How easy would it be to run this scenario/adventure?*(5 points)445
b. How well is the scenario/adventure presented?*(5 points)344
c. How well is the scenario/adventure written?*(5 points)344
Player Perspective / The Story*(15 points)121013
a. What would this scenario/adventure be like to play?*(5 points)435
b. Is the story interesting to read?*(5 points)434
c. How creative is the scenario/adventure?*(5 points)444
Audience Perspective / The Ingredients*(15+ points)61820
a. How well was the ingredient used?*(5 points each)151820
Penalties-9  
Total Points284046

Umber
First and foremost, please re-read #5 of The rules. We had several infractions here, which are, unfortunately, going to hurt your score (-5 for the image, -4 for the links as determined by the judges). The good here is that you had a really good scope of what is just an encounter, rather than trying to do a while adventure as some contestants have this round. There are enough phases and mechanics to the encounter to keep it interesting, and I felt that your word count could have been a little better used by having one less phase, and a little more info given on the setup. Ingredient use was pretty straight forward, nothing lacking, but nothing jumping out as a truly clever use.
Imveros
This came in at 1499 words on WordCounter.net, so just right under the limit. Formatting was great. Ingredient use was right on par. The only complaint I have about this entry is that the scope of it was set up like a small adventure, with several smaller encounters, rather than just one encounter as defined by the scope for this round. As such, you try to do a little too much to fully flesh out and make engaging, leaving the GM with a fair amount of work to fill in the gaps.

Atua
Great formatting and the scope of the entry is exactly what it should be for an Encounter. You set up where this could take place in a campaign, without the need to go into too many details. I am not familiar with the Firefly RPG system, so mechanics were a bit lost on me, other than a guess. I really like how the ingredients were key to the story, but didn’t feel like they were hammered in where they didn’t quite fit. Very solid entry..

Last edited by Inem; 11-02-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:01 AM
This space for rent

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9911
Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne
Overall I felt all these entries were quite solid. Well formatted and laid out. Ingredients were used well and everyone wrote an encounter as opposed to a module. That being said, only two people can move forward. Here’s my ranking for first to third. With no “perfect” entries the highest obtainable score was a ten.

First:
Imveros
Well done with this entry. I don’t play shadowrun, but I feel I could run this.
Score 10/10/10

Second:
Atua
Good entry. Could’ve possibly landed in third if not for infractions by the third place position. Well written and formatted. I’m fortunate my decision was easier as this could’ve been a tough choice. Score 9/9/9

Third:
Umber
Rules are rules. In another bracket this might have still placed second, but you had some strong entries in this bracket. Two rules violations killed your entry which is too bad because it was a good entry. Score 4/4/7

In conclusion I apologize for the sparse feedback, but I’m typing this on my phone at work because the station computers won’t let me access this site and it’s the only place I’m kid free. The limited entries made it easier to judge this bracket, and I’m still coming in under the wire. Well done by everyone in this bracket and good luck to the contestants who are moving forward.

Last edited by Inem; 11-02-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Revealing Judgment!
Old 11-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23415
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
A veil of invisibility drops, and the 'Honorable' Chairman stands in the middle of the arena. Has he been here all this time, watching? It seems unlikely, but it is impossible to know. "Now, first things first, I see one of you didn't finish their work. How unfortunate..." The master of rules lifts his staff, and chains spring forth from the iron grit sand, grabbing Silent Rain and drawing him forcefully down below to who knows where. "That could be good news for one of you...but unfortunately, it looks like sometimes things just don't work out that way. Isn't that true?"

The Chairman seems to stare off in the distance, not focusing on anything in particular. And yet, just at the periphery of your vision, the fifth figure's bonds tighten and pull them down below the iron grit sand as well. "Now, that only leaves three of you. Already disappointing. And one of you has cost himself dearly." There is a flash, and some sort of colorless arcane force field seems to form around Umber, who finds himself transformed into a colorless gas, held in place by the force field, as an unusual statue that might be invisible if not for red discharges of energy occurring within the gas just often enough for the silhouette of a former person to be recognizable.

"Now, prepare yourselves you two. For the rounds of most of your competitors withdrawing are at an end, and the next battle is about to begin..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Record
Atua comes in first in Match 2, followed by Imveros taking second place.

Closed Thread