RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-23-2019, 11:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4007
Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos
(Basic Fantasy RPG) Horror on the Hill

Game Name

Game System"Basic Fantasy RPG"

Theme/FlavorWilderness exploring and dungeon crawling/Old school D&D Module

Horror on the Hill
left-aligned image

Guido’s Fort.

The end of the traders’ road. Perched along the banks of the mighty River Shrill, this isolated frontier settlement is the last stop on the caravan routes. The mile-wide river is all that separates the Fort from the shadowy bulk known only as “The Hill,” a land of nameless terrors and ancient legend.

The fog-shrouded crests and densely wooded slopes of The Hill rise 400 feet, looming ominously over the tiny settlement. On clear days, The Hill’s rocky cliffs can be seen jutting from its bulky mass, but the view is usually obscured by gouts of steam that seem to rise from outlets on The Hill itself. This mysterious mountain has long been rumored to shelter bands of vicious monsters. Only the awesome waters of the Shrill have prevented the monsters from invading the under-garrisoned fort.

Several groups of brave and hardy adventurers have crossed the river to explore The Hill’s summits and face the wicked monsters, but none of these bands was ever heard from again. Now a new group of eager adventurers has met in one of the inns at Guido’s Fort. It is here that the adventurers discuss their own daring plans to explore the dangerous mountain.

Module
left-aligned image

Do you miss the old days of D&D? Do you yearn for simpler times? A time before, feats, and dozens of abilities that turned PCs into superheros by the time they were 3rd level? Do you miss the time when your character could actually die because of a few bad dice rolls? Or do you just wonder how the game was played 30 years ago? If so, this might be the game for you. Come take a trip down memory lane.

Horror on the Hill is an adventure module published by TSR, Inc. in 1983, for the Basic Rules of the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game.

Horror on the Hill is written by Douglas Niles he is one of the original TSR game designers. Niles was one of the creators of the Dragonlance world, writing a few of the original modules alongside Tracy Hickmon and Margret Weis. Niles is also the author of the first three Forgotten Realms novels, The Moonshae Trilogy.

Game System
left-aligned image

What Is Basic Fantasy RPG?

The Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game is a rules-light game system modeled on the classic RPG rules of the early 1980's. Though based loosely on the d20 SRD v3.5, Basic Fantasy RPG has been written largely from scratch to replicate the look, feel, and mechanics of the early RPG game systems. It is suitable for those who are fans of "old-school" game mechanics. Basic Fantasy RPG is simple enough for children in perhaps second or third grade to play, yet still has enough depth for adults as well.

Basic Fantasy can be found here and is completely Yes it is legally free!free to download. I will be allowing a majority of the supplements during this game as noted below.

Outside of using most of the supplements I will keepOnly house rules I intend to use is a modified short rest/long rest similar to 5e and hovering on death's door rule. houserules to a minimum.

About the game
left-aligned image

Party size: starting with 6 players

Level: level 1.

Level advancement: Experience points (xp will be given from killing monsters, good RP, problem solving and of course from gold)

Stats: 4d6 drop lowest, arrange to taste.

Hit points: max 1st level, roll each level afterwords. NO rolling in this thread

Books allowed:
Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game Core Rules
The Basic Fantasy Equipment Emporium

Supplements: I am open to consideration on most supplements if the players want to use expanded classes or rules.

Post Rate: 1-2 DM posts per week.

Application
Character Picture: Like most DMs I would like if the application included a picture of the character. IF possible I would love see an old school or colorB&W picture from the 70s - or 80s. Something from one of the early modules ether cover or interior art would be great!
Name:
Race: Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome
Class: Fighter, Magic-User, Cleric, Thief Open to consideration of other classes, see above*
Alignment: Any Good or Neutral
Physical Description: Short and sweet please
Background: What sort of background is your character? Is he a Knight? A Sailor? Back-ally Thief? Hometown hero? Elven Noble? Dwarven blacksmith? Halfling "Burgler"
Short Backstory: Keep it short and simple. ONE Paragraph at the most.

Campaign worldKeeping in the spirit of "less is more" the greater campaign world will be left ambiguous for now. Feel free to take liberties with locations for backstories etc.

Applicants

Applications are due by 8 NOV

Player Character Race Class Status
Warson Rown the Steady Human Fighter Complete
Tonka Tough Quokka Human Magic-user Complete
Begon Ugo Banger Deng Dwarf Cleric Complete
Lord Haldir Reynan Half-elf Thief Withdrawn
Grimbreath Belltran the Bewilderer Human Illusionist Complete
SCARY WIZARD Oriash Wiseglade Half-elf Thief Complete
BenghisGhan Magnus Deephammer Dwarf Fighter Complete
Igordragonian WIP WIP WIP incomplete

Questions and updates Q: Question, maybe i didn't see it, but if you want to combo class, does it take x2 XP to level up? How does that work?
A: Elves are the only race that can combo class.
Fighter/magic user and magic user/thief.
You combine the xp of both classes. It's on page 6 of the main book.

Q: I wondered it there's a possibility of using the level 0 spells since progression in play by post tends to be very slow.
A: I have no problem with you picking your own spell or using 0 level spells. It's a nice little bump that helps without unbalancing the game or straying to far from the original material (basic D&D).

Q: Why Horror on the Hill?
A: Way back in 1980 something my 10 year oldself was gifted a used copy of the original Basic Rules Red box and in the box was a copy of this adventure. I read those basic rules from cover to cover dozens of times along with the adventure. It was the perfect adventure in my eyes. A little bit of wilderness a little bit of dungeon crawling strange creatures etc. Well by the time I finally was able to play D&D it was a game of AD&D 2e and I was never able to play Horror on the Hill. I figured it was time for me to take the adventure for a spin some 30 years later. So instead of trying to modernize the adventure itself for 5e, i figured why not keep it as close to original as possible? Enter BFRPG a free downloadable system that replicates the feel of those old B/X days.

UPDATE
UPDATE

I will be closing applications on November 8th OR if the post drops to the second page. Whichever comes first. I still want to recruit 2 more players. I feel that starting the game with 7 will be in the best interest in the face of possible attrition in the future. If there are no more applications I will be forced to pull the game due to lack of interest.

Last edited by Dargos; 11-05-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:35 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2875
Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson
Rown the Steady
right-aligned image
Name: Rown the Steady
Race: Human
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Lawful Good

Physical Description: Standing just over six feet tall, Rown the Steady is a solidly built man, especially in his upper body thanks to years of hammering metal over a burning hot fire. Dark hair frames his somewhat long face...his dark eyes are piercing, but hold a sadness and fear that only Rown knows about.

Background: Rown the Steady is the blacksmith in his home village of Brookstone, which is about twenty miles away from the river that protects "The Hill".

Short Backstory: Rown's brother, Urem, felt the call to adventuring and crossed the wide river to climb "The Hill", but was never heard from again. Rown is intent on travelling to "The Hill" to discover Urem's fate. After training with some experienced adventurers in a bugbear clan's cave near Brookstone, Rown the Steady is now ready to undertake his quest of travelling to "The Hill" in order to bring his brother back home safely.

Characters: Bifur Blacksteel: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e) | Hlan Ironstar: Forgotten Realms: The Road Less Traveled (2e) | Lao Chen: The City of Endless Arenas (5e) | Rown the Steady: Horror on the Hill (BFRPG) | Kavis Kaal: Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus

Last edited by Warson; 10-26-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2875
Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson
Character posted above. I feel a calling to post another character...Maybe a Halfling or Gnome? Hmmm....
Characters: Bifur Blacksteel: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e) | Hlan Ironstar: Forgotten Realms: The Road Less Traveled (2e) | Lao Chen: The City of Endless Arenas (5e) | Rown the Steady: Horror on the Hill (BFRPG) | Kavis Kaal: Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus
Old 10-26-2019, 04:28 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 197
Tonka Tough Tonka Tough
Quokka
right-aligned image

Character Name: Quokka

Race: human

Alignment: Neutral good

Background: guild artisan (wheelwright)

Class: Magic user

Description: Small, bald human who is far, far away from home.

Backstory: Quokka is a qualified wheelwright who is skilled at making wheels for carts and wagons. He is a simple man with simple pleasures, who dislikes an honest days work, paying taxes and owning a house. He made a pact with one of the great "I was here first" entities trapped somewhere outside the universe. This entity takes Quokka on as its pupil and teaches him the art of magic. No more working for money, no more cleaning his own house. No more paying taxes. Quokka's magic makes him a free man.
In exchange for the magic it provides for Quokka, the great "I was here first" entity demands Quokka be responsible for inflicting discontent, unrest and civil disobedience, amongst the people as the chaos and confusion is the gateway the entity will use to re-enter the universe.
But Quokka is a nice guy so he will start **** to gain magical powers, but will try to correct the disturbance he created.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:42 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10574
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Banger
right-aligned image

Name Banger Deng
Race: Dwarf
Class: Cleric
Alignment: CG

Appearance: Banger is a stout dwarf of typical height. The Cleric is covered by a head of wild and unruly hair that falls like rushing water down his chest and back. Banger’s piercing gaze is one that belongs to a person who is wholly dedicated to a cause or, conversely, to someone who has lost touch with reality.

Background: Banger is a traveling priest, taking it upon himself to find his fallen brethren, those who have forsaken the dwarven ways and joined fully with the tall folk. Banger reminds these dwarves of their heritage and shares a brew or two...or three... all in service to the faith.

Backstory: Banger finds the mines and caves of his people to be a bit stifling... not enough air flow for his tastes. So he has started a traveling ministry that sets up shop in bar and tavern far and wide, offering blessing for naut but an ale donation. Banger had been ministering to the homesick dwarves of the region for awhile now and he feels as if he has done his gods work in spades. There have been some who have named him a charlatan... but he is not called Banger for nothing. Those people who have spoken ill of Banger have been introduced personally to their god of choice, soon after.

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 10-26-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
My first 3 applications!

Yea! I hope we can get this off the ground.

I did a minor update to the application allowing for Neutral aligned characters (LN/N/CN), it's not a big change but it opens up some more options for people if they want to take it.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:30 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 111
Lord Lord
looks interesting. Question, maybe i didn't see it, but if you want to combo class, does it take x2 XP to level up? How does that work?

Also, pinning myself a spot here.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
looks interesting. Question, maybe i didn't see it, but if you want to combo class, does it take x2 XP to level up? How does that work?

Also, pinning myself a spot here.
Thanks for the interest.

Elves are the only race that can combo class.
Fighter/magic user and magic user/thief.

You combine the xp of both classes. It's on page 6 of the main book.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:04 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Lord Lord
withdrawn

Last edited by Lord; 10-30-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 904
Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath
Belltran the Bewilderer

Name: Beltran the Bewilderer

Race: Human

Class: Illusionist (BFRPG supplement rules)

Alignment: Chaotic good

Physical Description: Beltran is tall and imposing; though older, he conveys a sense of power and mystery though this may be part of the act. He comes across as pompous and self-important, though in reality he's got a kind streak to him.

Background: Itinerant street magician (performer)

Backstory: Beltran "the Bewilderer" spent many a year performing amazing feats of sleight-of-hand as a traveling street magician. His specialty was performing small cantrips and minor illusions for a few coppers. Recently he came upon a real spellbook and determined to buckle down and actually learn magic. With this career change, Beltran decided to begin a new life as an adventurer!

Old 10-29-2019, 09:26 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hello everyone that has made it this far.

Recruiting has gone slow but steady, but it is to be expected with a game system such as this. Hopefully we have a few fence sitters waiting to drop an application in the next week.

I am still waiting for game approval from the "reds" so I can start arranging folders and posts. Hopefully that will come by the end of the week.

@grimbreath I have no problem with you picking your own spell or using 0 level spells. It's a nice little bump that helps without unbalancing the game or straying to far from the original material (basic D&D).

@everyone, supplements are optional for anyone, it is up to the players on what sort game they want, rules and options wise.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Lord Lord
Have to withdraw, unfortunately.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Have to withdraw, unfortunately.
I am sorry to see you go, but thank you for the heads up!

@everyone, I updated the OP with a list of who we have so far and Q&A.

I will not announce a closing date until I have at least a full party, then I will give it a few more days for any fence sitters to jump in at the last minute.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:19 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 904
Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath
If a potential candidate would like to play a magic user I'm happy with writing up a thief instead!
Old 10-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Magic-User 8/Thief 9

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 113
SCARY WIZARD SCARY WIZARD
Heya! Here's a Thief! Ability Scores and Supplemental allowances permitting, I'd like her to be a Bardic-Thief. If not, no big, she'll just be a Thief who likes to pretend she's a Bard.

Application

Name: Oriash Wiseglade
Race: Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game Supplemental Rules: Half-HumansHalf-Elf
Class: Thief
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Physical Description: Oriash is a strapping specimen among half-elves, and possessed of a voice and personality that matches her appearance. She commonly wears her brown hair in a loose braid, and carries a set of panpipes with her wherever she goes.
Background: Apprentice Artisan-turned-Entertaining Expeditionist
Short Backstory: The adventurer known as Oriash spent her early years first living with her free-spirited aunt, and then at the residence of a maker of musical instruments. The former and her many lovers taught Oriash “a great many useful skills”, while the latter tempered her somewhat and imparted upon her a love of music. Following the retirement of her benefactor, this soaring songful soloist has taken to travelling, experiencing many ups and downs, learning many songs and tales, and avoiding a thief-taker or two. Or five. Her travels have recently taken her to Guido's Rest. It is there that she seeks not only tools with which to repair her panpipes, but work more profitable than entertaining crowds, guarding caravans, and ridding cellars of rats...

Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 11-08-2019 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Thievish Thoughts