User Statistics
RPXP: 5123
Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H
Aethernauts and New Horizons

Game NameAethernauts and New Horizons
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeClassic DnD, Swashbuckling, and Spaceships
FlavourExploration, Survival, Spaceship Combat, Monster Hunting
Plot SummaryThe world once seemed so big. An adventurer could spend a lifetime sailing the vast seas, or crossing the great deserts, or trekking through the expansive woods. And many thousands did over many thousand years. The bards sing a million tales, and a million more rest forgotten in ancient tomes. Great foes defeated, evil vanquished, empires toppled to ruins. There were always beasts to slay and treasures to loot. It seemed the horizons of the world would go on forever.

Then everything changed. It has been fifty years since those great heroes climbed their great tower of alchemist fire, and boarded their small craft of adamantine foil. Their flight took them beyond the very reaches of the air of the world, sailing out into the vast blackness of the aether beyond, then out to the very moon. Weeks later they'd returned as heroes, having successfully landed and returned from the moon, having vanquished many stone moon giants, and recovering stones of new moon ores and jewels.

Since then, there have been bigger and better aether ships, braver and bolder aethernauts, delving deeper and further into the darkness, and venturing out into to stranger newer worlds. For adventure, for riches, for new impossible challenges. New horizons.

You left the world behind in search of something. Wealth, adventure, challenge, or something more. Because in these heady new days of exploration and venture, it forever seemed as though anything you could desire could be found out there among the stars.

This wasn't where you expected to wind up though. Only far enough from the old world to still see it clearly, just hanging there in the sky almost taunting your failure to escape it. Sitting hunched over an old table, drinking away your sorrows in the Moonshine Tavern, out the window lay the dead grey dust of the moon. Fifty years ago, it must have been so exciting for those first aethernauts, to be the first to set foot on another world. Now though, it was just Footfall, a city built as a stepping stone out to further ventures, new exciting worlds still unexplored and ripe for plunder.

But this is where your coin ran out, unable to afford a flight out to more adventurous horizons or even afford a ticket on one of the ships back to your home. So instead you wallow with the other dregs in Footfall, drinking in the Moonshine, waiting for a shot at something, anything. Anything to get your adventure in the stars started proper.

But there are others around the tables of the Moonshine. And perhaps, just perhaps, enough with the resources to scrape together and escape.

From up here, the world looked so small you could hold it in your palm. And out there, way way out there, there's a thousand more. New horizons all just waiting for adventurers.

Current State of Aethernautics

Most ships are still propelled by trusty old Spellforce Drive, though it is generally seen as antiquated and outdated. Bundles of magic wands, usually simply Fireball or Burning Hands, installed in drive chambers or engine housings produce fiery forward thrust, driving the ship onward.

This is a time of greater experimentation and development though, and new drive systems are constantly being developed and tweaked.

Tinkerers are always toying with various Alchemical Drives, producing propulsive and sometimes explosive forces with unstable alchemical mixtures, often from fuels generated by spells and magical fonts.

It is said the Yuan-Ti have begun an aggressive expansion and spaceflight program, launching ships from the tops of their pyramid jungle temples, powered by the trapped howling souls of dead slaves, called Specter Drive.

The most luxurious and powerful drive that can be bought with gold is generally seen as the FCCD, Flying Carpet Core Drive, making the great sultans of the south a powerful force in aethernautics.

The Game Path

The world below is like any dungeons and dragons world you know. There are kingdoms and emperors and races and wars. And out beyond, folks from your world are slowly expanding out into the new distant worlds, finding them filled with creatures and monsters and races of their own.

You character is seeking something. Could be as simple as adventure. But either way they're certain they can find what they seek among the stars.

Unfortunately, they've found that venturing out into the aether is harder said than done, and persistence was only enough to get them to the face of the moon.

But they still have something to offer, and with others, a like minded party gathered in the halls of a tavern, maybe they'll have enough to put together their own ship.

The game will start out with the group building and gathering materials to build their very own aethership. And from there, the stars are the limit.

Any DnD materials, magic, and items can be available. Spellcasters, tinkerers, crafters and artificers can definitely provide a lot.

From there, there will be anything the party could like, to help them seek their fortunes and goals.

Ideal posting rate every other day. Starting levelmost likely level 5.

Character Application

Name:
Race:
Class:

Background:
Description:
Personality:

Goal: (Feel free to post one goal publicly but also add one or more to me in secret)

What they can bring: To the party and the fledgling ship. Anything that might not be immediately obvious. Somehow the group of you are going to need to put together a working ship.

Current Apps - Apps Due November 7th

PlayerNameRaceClassApp
LordWarryn “Nicknack” NickelnackerRock GnomeWizardAccepted
Treble83Alto "Sprocket" RockbottomRock GnomeArtificerApp Done
ParzivalFairRorik ThunderoakDwarfArtisanAccepted
WynamoinenOurra TemperthirstHalf-elfForge ClericAccepted
BerithDjaheth M'NarrGithyankiCleric/WizardIn Progress
HippoGinWarforgedArtificerAccepted
ShaedeMiseryFeral TieflingRogueAccepted
DialPforPicklesLaszlo ArdeleanElfRogue/MonkIn Progress
The Rat QueenIara HalloraElfFighterAccepted
UngainlyfoolBlizz'rt the White DwarfDuergarBarbarianWithdrawn
KnightfallFeylin L'IthanielWood ElfRangerAccepted
GwythionZilfin ZagoRock GnomeWizardApp Done
AoemAemonHumanClericApp Done
KshnikJavern OsmapliteDwarfCleric/DruidAccepted

Last edited by Code H; 11-09-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:15 PM
Oblivious Flame Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6285
hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo
I'm just now coming back to the site after a couple-year hiatus. This looks really interesting.

Gin - Warforged Artificer
right-aligned image

Name: Short for Engineering Unit 13Gin
Race: Warforged Envoy
Class: Artificer

Background: Gin is the last of the first generation of Engineering constructs created for the lunar Aethernautic shipyards. For over 40 years he alloyed steel and adamantium to form the skeletons of ships; warped wood and magically bonded it to the ships’ frames; and melted alchemical glass to withstand the rigors of the aether. Various propulsion systems were wedded to the hulls. After completion, Gin watched longingly as the ships departed for parts unknown. Then he returned to the shipwrights and started the process again. Over time the other constructs of his generation were decommissioned or destroyed after construction accidents. They were replaced by subsequent generations of constructs, each generation more capable workers, but with lesser minds - more automatons than sentient beings in fact. Rather than being partners in the great enterprise, the units became mere extensions of the artificers themselves.

At long last, Gin was retired from service: a relic of the past whose independence no longer fit the needs and designs of the shipwrights. He now roams Footfall looking for a ship willing to take on an able engineer.

Description: Forged of living steel, alchemically enhanced wood, and rune-carved stone, Gin towers above many in Footfall. His elongated body mimics the typical humanoid shape, but well outside of normal proportions. A telescopic eye provides a focal point for his otherwise featureless face. His monotonic voice is magically projected toward whomever he addresses, regardless of direction.

Personality Traits: When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way. I am willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgement.
Ideal: Inquiry and curiosity are the pillars of progress.
Bond: I am the last of my generation, and it is up to me to ensure our names enter legend.
Flaw: I am easily distracted by the promise of information.
Goals: Acquire a commission on an aethernautic vessel as engineer
What Gin can bring to the common cause: A deep knowledge of Aethernautic ships and their construction. Arcana and 8 tool proficiencies. Flexible combat configurations depending on party construction. Ability to survive outside an atmosphere. Ability to always stand watch.

Last edited by hippo; 11-07-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:18 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17152
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Looks very interesting! I've got an idea for a Forge Cleric bubbling....

Old 10-26-2019, 08:12 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 111
Lord Lord

Name: Warryn “Nicknack” Nickelnacker

Race: Rock Gnome

Class: Wizard

Personality: Warryn is naturally inquisitive and wants to constantly learn more about as much as he can. Among his colleagues and friends, he loves to poke fun and be a bit on the snarky side. Having said that, he is usually very kind and polite, most of the time, except for when he is is grumpy he can be full of rock salt.

Background: Sage - discredited academic

Personality Traits: I'm used to helping out those who aren't as smart as I am, and I patiently explain anything and everything to others.

Ideal: The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge.

Bond: My life's work is a series of tomes related to a specific field of lore.

Flaw: I speak without really thinking through my words, invariably insulting others

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

Backstory:

Warryn is an older Gnome who has spent the majority of his life researching the Arcane arts at the Grand College of Wizardry. Within the Gnomish community he was born into the wealthy strata. His family has long been pioneering industrialists that started with development and sale of Nickel Silver by their Great Great Great Great Grandfather Orryn Nacker III. After Orryn had spent his life securing his family’s prosperity he legally changed their name to NickelNacker. Granting most of them clever, and sometimes, annoying nicknames. From an early age Warryn was called “Nicknack” for different reasons depending on the person and context.

Most of the men in Warryn’s family have naturally continued Orryn’s legacy, but he had no mind for business, industry, or invention regarding industry. He was fascinated with the Arcane and instead joined the Wizards College. Within the community has earned himself a name for his astute research not only for his work, but that of his colleagues as well.

Although Warryn has earned a decent reputation with the College because of his phenomenal research abilities, he has delved too much into the theoretical aspect and little to no practical application. Instead, relying on the practical experience of his colleagues and apprentices. This has thrown him, his research, and his abilities into question by a growing number. Why has he not gone out and developed his wizard skills first hand? Is he too comfortable? Is he a coward? Inquiries such as these have given him - and his usually playful nickname - a minor, but growing negative connotation. A growing number of fellow Wizards at the college have begun to see him and as a nice addition to the college, but otherwise needless and some even go as far as to say he is unqualified for the position and respect has worked hard to earn with the College.

Goal:Normally this would not bother Warryn, but as he as gotten older, he has felt a gnawing within his own head to venture and break his overly comfortable lifestyle and shut the discreditors up about his life’s work.

Last edited by Lord; 10-26-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:27 PM
Pseudodragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5892
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
Ooh, interesting!! Aside from starships, is technology and culture still medieval-fantasy-esque, or is this game more future-fantasy flavored, or steampunk, or something else entirely?
Old 10-26-2019, 08:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5684
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Hey, Code H!

What sources are you allowing?

A Mystic Nomad sounds like fun for this setting.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Hey.

Any of the main expansion books are good. What book is mystic nomad in again? Should be good as long as it's in a 5th e book.

The tech of the world, including all the spaceships, are all based on stock dnd tech and magic. Everything will be based on spells and items found in the main books. So I guess you could call it spellpunk or fantasy punk. Some of the spaceships might even be wooden.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:15 PM
Oblivious Flame Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
The Mystic is in Unearthed Arcana from a couple of years ago - but not an official book.

For that matter, the Artificer is also from Unearthed Arcana - but will be published in the final Eberron book when it comes out officially next year. Warforged have been officially released in the current version of the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron.

Last edited by hippo; 10-26-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5684
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Didn't know there was a v2. This is what I was looking at.

I'm not wedded to it, just thought I'd ask. I'll come up with a character regardless.

Last edited by UngainlyFool; 10-26-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:46 PM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 861
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Character Application
right-aligned image

Name: Alto "Sprocket" Rockbottom
Race: Rock Gnome
Class: Artificer (Battle Smith)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Sailor

Appearance: Sprocket stands at a height of roughly three feet tall. His frame is thin but muscular. His hair is jet black and usually kept rather stylishly parted to one side and his skin is grayish in color. He's abandoned his traditional gnome attire for an outfit more suiting for an adventurer; complete with fancy boots and a cape.

Personality: In his mind, Sprocket is a world class craftsman and an Adventurer, destined for glory. Often, what others see is a power crazed Gnome with grandiose ambitions. To him, the only thing more exciting than having his own aether ship is finding rare and powerful materials that he can build fantastic new inventions with (or improve upon old designs).

Goal: After spending the past several decades sailing across the vast oceans, Sprocket is looking for his next great exploration. After failing to make any great discoveries on Toril, he has become convinced that his great discovery lies somewhere in space. Aside from his own selfish interest in making a great discovery and unraveling the secrets of space, he takes great pride in just caring for his ship. Granted, he has no experience working on aether ships but how hard can it be? He's built plenty of things through the use of technomancy.

Last edited by Treble83; 10-27-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:54 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 661
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Gonna roll up a Great Old One warlock and go for the Communications Officer/inter-species diplomat route. Being able to communicate with any intelligent species may come in handy. Gonna also pick the invocation that allows me to read all writing. Maybe there will be some ancients ruins that he could investigate.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:40 AM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3651
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
I'm so in! Expect an application here.

A Damned Handsome Dwarf
right-aligned image

Name: Rorik Thunderoak
Race: Dwarf
Background: Guild Artisan

Description: Rorik is a simple dwarf, preferring simple clothing that is tough and practical. He keeps his beard and hair long, does his best to stay clean, and generally smells like sawdust. He is about as tall as the average dwarf, and is possessed of powerful arms and a burly visage.

Personality: Humble and reliable, Rorik is in charge of Rorik, thank you very much, and can only try to help others as best he can. Because of this, Rorik tends to possess a sort of wise calm, a quiet attentiveness that makes for a good listener and friend.

[Backstory:[/B] Rorik doesn't talk much about his life before journeying to the moon. Still, one can surmise a little information; raised in a small family, Rorik's father, also named Rorik, taught him carpentry at a young age. As he got older, Rorik opened a simple furniture shop that nonetheless became well known due to the dwarf's craftsmanship and honest demeanor. Eventually, somebody offered him a contract working to put together aether ships at the shipyard on the moon, and as he had never married and had a number of journeyman craftsman that could run the store on the world below, Rorik took to the stars and has spent the years since toiling away quietly, building aether ships and learning the ins and outs of the trade.

Goal: Rorik has few goals; perhaps someday he'd find a wife, but until then, he was content with his lot in life.

What they can bring: Rorik has spent the last few years helping to build and maintain aether ships, and so would make an excellent addition to any crew.

Last edited by ParzivalFair; 10-31-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:48 AM
The helpful polar bear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8047
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Tossing in some interest for SPAAAAAACE
Old 10-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Ok so anything in official 5th e reference materials is good to use. But it either has to be in one of the main and expansion books or freely available online. And nothing too super broken, not sure if any exist.

Also try to stay away from anything that isn't just a 'standard' class. Meaning it adds a wholly new system like the old psyonics or battle master. Just because I'm not super familiar with anything outside the main books.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:31 AM
Oblivious Flame Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
Warforged are available in the DM’s Guild expansion Wayfarer’s Guide to Eberron. The race itself is available in the Unearthed Arcana Races of Eberron as well. Let me know if that works well enough for you. I can change things up if not acceptable.