RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-27-2019, 11:31 AM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3606
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
So on that note, are you okay with Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica/Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron? If not, I'll have to make some changes.

Edit: Hippo ninja'd me!

Last edited by ParzivalFair; 10-27-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:10 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17152
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Basics
right-aligned image
Ourra, Unimpressed
Name: Ourra Temperthirst

Race: Half-elf

Class: I expect to have 3 or 4 tools proficiencies, in addition to the Channel Divinity creation power of the Forge Cleric. Ourra is a mechanic, in addition to a warrior and a cleric. Forge Cleric (of Sekhmet is Egyptian goddess of War and the Sun (and sometimes disease). I really like this flavor, but I am willing to adjust as any pre-defined pantheon dictates. Pelor would be the standard D&D pre-fab world god of the Sun.Sekhmet)

Description and PersonalityFirst impressions: Ourra is tall and stern. She is relatively pale-skinned, with straight auburn hair tinting towards black. She usually keeps it pulled back to prevent it being caught by armor, flame, ne'er-do-wells, or other hazards of her chosen path in life. She generally wears an outfit that is something like a uniform, with crisp lines, stiff collar, and insignia of her order (a radiant sun over crossed swords, reminiscent of a militant skull-and-crossbones).

Ourra wears an eyepatch. If someone asks why, her usual reply is "An accident at the forge when I was an apprentice." She then gives an unconvincing grin and changes the subject of conversation. She is an unconvincing liar, in part because she is quite earnest. She will tell you her honest opinion, regardless of the appropriateness of this opinion. She is almost never intentionally funny, but her driven seriousness can put her in ridiculous situations much more often than she'd like.
DetailsBackgroundChidlhood

What can Ourra Bring?Who is the Sun?

GoalsTo the Moon

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 10-29-2019 at 11:52 PM. Reason: modified flavor of 'what I bring'
Old 10-27-2019, 12:35 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5073
Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H
Warforged and Wayfarer’s Guide to Eberron will be fine. I don't have it an haven't been through it though, so just don't do anything... egregious... I'll trust your guy's judgement.

Wynamoinen yep that is the kind of thing I'm looking for as per building the ship. Although it is possible your characters may find their ideas ultimately aren't as practical or cheap as others. So not saying that exact item may be what makes it into the final design, but bringing that kind of inventiveness is critical.

So a bit of world building.

Most ships are propelled by trusty old Spellforce Drive, though it is generally seen as antiquated and outdated. Ships are propelled by bundles of magic wands, usually Fireball or Burning Hands.

This is a time of greater experimentation and development though, and new drive systems are constantly being developed and tweaked.

It is said the Yuan-Ti have begun an aggressive expansion and spaceflight program, powered by the trapped howling souls of dead slaves, called Specter Drive.

The most luxurious and powerful drive that can be bought with gold is generally seen as the FCCD, Flying Carpet Core Drive, making the great sultans of the south a powerful force in aethernautics.

Anything that can fly by magical means, lift or move weight, or produce force and cause damage can be used for space propulsion.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:58 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Great, thanks for the extra info. I’ll re-name my item since it is admittedly already very generic and drives are already A Thing. Think I’ll put more “those wizards think they’re so smart, but behold the power of The Lord to bake your biscuits and bevel your saws” sauce on it.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:18 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3606
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
@Code H, I'm just using the Changeling race from WGtE, so nothing too crazy. I can provide the information on it as needed.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7628
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Djaheth M'Narr
Race: Githyanki
Class: Nature Cleric 1 / Transmutation Wizard 4

Background: Zoologist

Description: TBD

Personality: TBD

Goal: TBD

Contribution to the group: TBD
Old 10-28-2019, 03:52 AM
Oblivious Flame Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6285
hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo
First partial pass at Gin above. I'll work to complete the application tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:08 PM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6021
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Application Status - Submitted for Consideration

Misery's application
left-aligned image

Character name: Misery
Race: Feral Tiefling
Class: Rogue (Arcane Trickster)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Appearance: Misery is your standard tiefling with protruding horn-like structures atop his head. His black hair and red eyes give many people the shivers as it quickly reminds them that devils walk among them. He has an average height - about 5 feet, 8 inches and a small build. His stature allows him to hide among places that people would generally overlook. His darkened, ash grey skin is also a functional asset of his birth furthering his skills in stealth and subterfuge.
Background: Urchin
What Can He Bring: He's quite adept at collecting things that originally belong to others and not getting caught. He has contacts with a like minded nature in Footfall to further aid this pursuit
Goals:
  • To get as far away from his pursuers as possible.
  • To see the universe as very few have ever done (queue Star Trek music)
History: Misery is his name, and he comes by it naturally. Nobody, not even he, knows what his real name may be. Misery was orphaned when he was just a babe suckling at his mother's breast. Born in Baldur's Gate to a simple merchant who dealt in leather goods, Misery lived a hard life. His parents loved him unconditionally even though their heritage was often met with disdain. One night when Misery was about two years old, some of the local ruffians from the the thieves guild tried to extort money from his father for 'protection.' Misery's father refused. In the early hours of predawn they returned and killed Misery's mother and father. Perhaps they did not have the heart to kill a baby or Asmodeus stepped in and saved the young tiefling, who knows.

Found by the city watch a few days later, Misery was alone and scared. He was turned over to a local orphanage where he would spend his childhood. There, he learned the harsh reality of the streets. Misery was a survivor and became adept at hiding and stealing whatever he needed, whether it be food, clothing, or trinkets. The orphanage kept him clothed and somewhat educated, but he knew that eventually he would be turned out. So, he prepared himself for the life ahead. He was recruited by the Twin Daggers, unknowingly the ones responsible for Misery's parents death. He quickly climbed the ladder within the nefarious organization and became one of the more profitable recruits for the guild. He was looked upon favorably as being a reliable contribution to their underhanded causes.

Then, he had learned the truth about his mother and father when one of the guildmasters spoke of local townsfolk refusing to make their 'protection payments.' He joked about the killing of the tiefling that ran an old leather shop so many years ago. Misery connected the dots and knew right away that it was this man who was responsible for the years of torment, punishment, and chiding that he had received as an outcast.

Misery snuck into the man's stateroom one dark night and executed him. He stood over the guildmaster's lifeless body and and just spat in his cold, dead face. Knowing that he would be tied to the murder, he fled Baldur's Gate to the South. He had to find his freedom from the menace that would be stalking his every turn.

After a fortunate run in with a Yuan-Ti, he wound up in Chult among the slums of Mezro. Here, he honed his talent of thievery and magic. After years of milking the city to his delight, Misery became interested in the growing buzz around the Aethernauts. The snakelike people had learned to hone their evil scarifices into a way to enter space and leave Toril. This intrigued Misery, and at his first available opportunity, he joined the next flight out.

After what would be described as a harrowing journey, he found himself in a new city with eager young faces around him. Footfall was only a stepping point in his journey, though Misery had spent every last coin to procure a flight aboard the ship to the moon. The city was ripe for fleecing, and so he went to work on utilizing his specific skillset to earn more coin from the fool hearty dreamers in Footfall.
In character sample writing:

Posting Rate: Multiple times during workday(M-F); once to none on weekends
Old 10-29-2019, 11:46 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 905
DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles
WIP
Name: Laszlo Ardelean
Race: Elf (Eladrin)
Class: Rogue/Monk (4 Elements)
Alignment: CG
Appearance: Tall and slim when he's standing up straight, which nowadays is not super often, to be honest. Handsome in the right light, which is to say, when it's mostly dark. His black, wavy hair is perpetually messy and straying into his mouth (a hag tried to curse him with her dying breath, but fumbled her grammarye when she choked on her blood), and his face is usually in a grimace due to being perpetually harried by the ghosts of 40 years of hangovers.

Background: Folk Hero
What He Brings: a wealth of experience in combat, an unshakeable sense of pragmatism, and probably several flasks

Back Story: Names are a funny thing--their meanings depend entirely upon context. On Laszlo's homeworld, the name "Ardelean" signified one of the highest of the Holy Houses, charged with protecting the Dappled Court of the Forests of Borgol from all manner of threats, the mundane, the magical, even the supernatural. The common knowledge that no creature or army could stand against their martial prowess protected the Court and her people from countless schemes, plots, and treacheries whose plans never got past the question: "What of the House of Ardelean?"

Of course, that was many years and many worlds ago, and so the name's original context no longer holds sway. In its current context, "Ardelean" typically signifies "that grumpy bastard sleeping it off in the corner of the tavern, whom we're only allowing to stay because he hasn't paid yet and we're too scared to wake him up".

To Laszlo, "Ardelean" has as many meanings as he has moods. Sometimes it's a calming memory of his patrols in the spring: the smell of new green things growing, the branches beneath his feet bouncing softly as he leapt, one to another, to the top of Hammerfell Hill, where he would sit and watch storm systems moving in. Sometimes it's a rousing and joyful memory of hunting packs of displacer beasts alongside his fellow hunters, or fighting off vampire mercenaries back-to-back with his little sister as they traded quips. Sometimes it's the dead place in his mind where he keeps the day he came home and found nothing but horrors waiting to greet him, and the endless months he spent in cat-and-mouse with his family's murderer, and the vacuum of purpose that came after he avenged them to his satisfaction.

All that was a long time ago. Most of the time Laszlo sees "Ardelean" as something he'd like to forget; a promise that his family's legacy broke in the uttermost. He's forgotten more about combat than a platoon of soldiers could learn in a year, and he's had to turn to sneak-thievery to keep himself alive when there's no one that needs anyone else dead. And yet, there's always something in the back of his mind that longs to return to his former self: a proud warrior, fighting alongside trusted companions for the good of a worthy cause.

He/Him

Last edited by DialPforPickles; 10-31-2019 at 07:17 PM. Reason: adding a few bits and bobs
Old 10-31-2019, 09:19 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Code H do you have a timetable for how long recruitment will remain open? (I'm in no rush, btw.)

And partly at Code H, partly at everyone else: I'm getting a strong whiff of Eberron from many of the applications. But I can imagine the game being closer to a Spelljammer setting, or having a strong Planescape influence. Or, that it's a pure homebrew with no direct influence from any of those. I haven't actually played a game in any of those settings. What is the GM / other players thinking about the nature of the setting, in terms of existing game worlds?
Old 10-31-2019, 10:37 AM
Oblivious Flame Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6285
hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo
I haven’t played a game in any of those settings yet - but I love them all. From the OP I got a very Spelljammer vibe. But Eberron is also a good match with the “arcane technology” feel. To me the great thing about those settings is they can all coexist just fine with each other.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:40 AM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Hey. The game hasn't been created yet, so I figured I'd at least keep the aps open until then, with a couple days after as notice. So expect the aps to close sometime next week I think. So far the aps look good. I'll got through them in more detail when I get a chance.

I didn't really start with any specific idea of what the world below is like exactly, other than it being fairly standard DnD medium fantasy world fare. At least it was fifty years ago before this space travel stuff started. Suffice to say there will be a collection of European style kingdoms, with some more barbarian Norse north lands. There is a great sultanate in the middle eastern desert, and a huge and wealthy far eastern empire. There are Yuan Ti in far southern temple cities, Lizardfolk clans in the swamps, huge cavernous dwarven kingdoms under the tall mountains, elven cities of spires and others deep in old growth woods. And all of them are figuring out how to get their own part of these otherworldly pies. All the kingdoms and factions of the world below are attempting to get into space. As well as all the successful pirates and privateers and merchants. The world is currently riding a massive boom of expansion, both in technology and bounds of travel. Since the very early days, space exploration has been a seemingly never ending gold rush of new resources. And it tempts anyone adventurous with endless exploration opportunity. So it is a very standard DnD world, that has been rapidly changing over the past few decades.

Other than that, I wanted to leave everything open so theres room for folks could add in whatever backstories they please.

I like the idea of Eberron like ideas creeping in, mostly as a result of space travel, strange and powerful new elements, and the technological boom that's come from all this. So feel free to include them. But the more techy steampunk and warforged elements will be recent additions to this world, all less than fifty years old.

Also you're very correct. In gameplay terms there will be lots of influence from spelljammer and planescape. But again, those will mostly be recent additions. In fact, your crew will probably be some of the first to discover much of thise elements. I reserve the right to make planets and such based on the planes you're familiar with. And I'm going to be using lots of planar and other creatures to populate various worlds.

Which does bring us to a fairly major change. To keep things focused on the space travel and not planar travel, I'm thinking the planes universe of this world will be simplified.

There is a material plane, plane of shadow and ethereal plane. There is a plane of heaven, constantly in slight tension between the good gods of order and chaos. And there is a plane of hell in constant war between devils and demons. Any planes beyond these exist only as stories and rumours and have never been confirmed to exist.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:13 AM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
I have been informed that a definite due date might be better to have. Therefore, apps are due in one week, November 7th. And I'll be choosing players the next day.

Additionally. I was wondering if I could pick the minds of you potential players for what you're most looking for to help keep plan a bit better.

I've been imagining the game as a roughly three parts split of Combat and Battle, both on the ground and in space between ships, Exploration and Survival, Diplomacy and Trade. But I like to tailor my game to player likes and expectations.

I can guess what your characters might be interested in most. But I also wanted to check to see what you as players are interested in, because sometimes it's fun dropping characters into situations they aren't well suited for. What are your thoughts?
Old 10-31-2019, 11:15 AM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6021
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Certainly combat/battle (hand to hand & ships!) and exploration/survival. Personally, I like the RP aspect of things and my PC is very much looking to utilize his social talents to assist in procuring a ship.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:04 PM
Blink and you'll miss it.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8282
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Character Application
right-aligned image

Name: Iara Hallora
Race: High Elf
Class: Fighter

Background: Sailor - she was never content to dwell among the trees and forests like many of her kin. Instead, she had always felt a pull toward the sea. As a young girl, she would travel for days to reach the coast that bordered the deep elven forests, and watch the waves crash in, straining her eyes to find the ships passing by just off the horizon. Rather than the perfume of blossoming flowers, she enjoyed the sting of salt in the air. Instead of leaves brushing her skin, she longed for the invigorating spray of the ocean. She had less love for the call of the birds and beasts of the forest than for the piercing wail of the seagull and the crack of the flapping sails above.

She left her home before she had officially come of age, not even a century old...still a child, by elven standards...to travel to the nearest port city. Most of the jobs she was offered had less to do with sailing, and more to do with fending off "amorous" advances. Fortunately, she had not neglected her self-defense training, and was able to dispatch many a would-be attacker. This, and her impressive presence, eventually landed her a berth on a trader's ship. Luckily, the captain was a good man, and the crew not as lecherous and base as many other crews, and she learned her duties quickly to earn the respect of the crew and captain. Eventually, after years of sailing experience, she moved up the ranks to captain a ship of her own.

Since she only needed to trance for four hours a day, she was often on deck at night, where her elven sight made for an excellent lookout. With most of the crew asleep in the small hours, and the ship quieter than the bustle of the day, she often had time to reflect. She watched the waves rolling in the dark, and the shadows dance before the lanterns. But, most often she would cast her eyes upward toward the heavens. Far out at sea, with no city lights to block the sky, she stared at the uncountable stars that seemed so close, she could reach out her hand and scoop up a handful. Eventually, she came to enjoy sailing at night more than during the day, for she had seen all there was to see of the colors of the ocean. Now, she longed for the light of the stars, blazing against the stark blackness of night. And she felt like she had as a little girl, stuck on land while staring out at a vast, empty world of adventure, and wondered if she would ever reach her new ocean of light and dark.

Description: A far cry from the traditional formal or woodland dress encountered with most elves, Iara sports the garb of a ship's captain, with a broad-rimmed hat covering a scarf to keep her long hair tied back, a greatcoat faded with years of sun and salt spray, loose tunic and breeches for easy movement on deck, and a wide sash that can be easily cut free if she falls overboard. She's of middling height for an elf, weighing in at about five-and-a-half feet, with the light, quick build typical of her race, though a bit sturdier, due to her seafaring background. Her long blonde hair is usually tied back into a ponytail that reaches her waist to prevent interference by the sea breezes, and her almond-shaped blue eyes are shot through with speckles of violet. Compared to the smooth, sometimes porcelain skin of her kinfolk, her skin possesses a bronze glow from constant exposure to the sun, her heritage working constantly to heal damage to her skin. Her eyes, whether by coincidence or influenced by her usual surroundings, are the deep blue-green cast of the ocean she's spent years of her life sailing. Somehow, she manages to make the "sea-legged" walk of a sailor look graceful, and her stance is wide-spread for balance, giving her an air of confidence and stability.

Personality: Iara is friendly and extroverted, accustomed to keeping ragtag sailor crews together by sheer will and force of personality alone. Rejecting the patient demeanor of her long-lived kin, she is determined to wring every drop of life from her centuries that she can manage to squeeze out, though she can display her traditional elven patience, and even aloofness, when she needs to. When it's time to get serious, however, she's all business, and makes decisions quickly and with the expectation that her commands will be obeyed.

Goal: She's sailed the seas for decades. Now she wants to sail the stars.

What they can bring: All these geniuses and experts, mages and tinkerers...and nobody to actually use the ship once it's actually built?

"Yeah, but who's gonna fly it, kid? You?" - Han Solo

Last edited by The Rat Queen; 11-07-2019 at 01:17 PM.