RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-31-2019, 02:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5684
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
In space, no one can hear you rage
right-aligned image
Name: Blizz'rt the White Dwarf
Race: Duergar
Class:Barbarian, Path of the Zealot
Background: Hermit

Description: What could be considered resting dwarf face of a particularly ugly specimen is just the result of years of repeated abuse, both internal and external. Blizz'rt (he goes by that one name) is missing an ear, and an eye, and two fingers on his left hand. Scars cover the pinkish-purple skin like the dwarf never bothered to seek a healer or drink a potion in his life. On the moon, people have taken to calling him the White Dwarf, something he doesn't react to positively or negatively. He keeps to himself, mostly, pulling himself from a chair at the tavern and from a hard drink rarely and with an effort, it seems, like Atlas lifting the world. You know, he's a dwarf, so there is a warhammer. And a beat up shield that matches its owner, hangs at the ready. Blizz'rt shakes involuntarily, both his hands and his body, leading many to joke that he is perpetually cold. The truth is sadder.

Personality: Everything is a chore to Blizz'rt but like most of his kin, he endures it. His god and his brother both conspired together to curse him. Blizz'rt has died and been raised more times than he has fingers left on his hands. That torture of not being given a rest has left him weary of life. He drinks, not like a Dwarf, but like a true alcoholic, furtively and destructively. That his liver was half pecked out by a vulture on the battlefield doesn't help his processing of it though a normal person might not even know he is perpetually wasted. He is introverted and disgruntled. But despite all that, Blizz'rt knows he is only the vessel of a greater power and knows that wherever he goes or wherever he hides, his God's destructive rage will be channeled through him again and again, and his soul raised when that mortal body is not up to the task.

Goals: Blizz'rt has seemingly given up the underdark for the overdark. He is running away, but from what he won't say.

What he brings: Someone has to do the heavy lifting. Buncha wizards.

Last edited by UngainlyFool; 10-31-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:29 PM
Hunter of the Wumpus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Knightfall Knightfall
Click image for larger version

Name:	MLEfulG.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	82089
Name: Feylin L'Ithaniel
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Ranger

Background: Feylin has spent the majority of his life as a scout and guide to some of the more dangerous parts of the world. The money if fine, and living in the wild is no problem, but after decades of seeing the same parts to the same forests, the scenery gets dull. To be honest, Feylin didn't want a change in career as much as he wanted a change in scenery. Hunting, exploring, guiding, these were all things he loved to do.

So naturally he was intrigued when he heard that people had ventured into the aether. He was even more intrigued when he heard that he too could go to see the stars. The worlds that could be, no, would be out there.... He had to see them....

That was a little while ago.... A little while ago that he booked fare on a ship heading to the moon. Who knew that interstellar travel was so expensive? But no matter. He had a set of skills, a set of skills most valuable to people travelling in unknown worlds. After all, what is the point of going if you don't know that you can survive once you're there? All he had to do was find a way to get out of here... Find a way to get... Out there... Maybe if he could find a group going on an expedition?

Description: Feylin is about 5'9 or 10 depending on if you ask him or someone else. He has long brown hair and stormy grey eyes. A slender frame compliments an equally slender face. The only other notably striking feature perhaps may be his pointed ears, but nothing abnormal from your typical elf.

Personality: He smiles often, laughs frequently, and thinks of himself as humorous, but being used to seclusion in the wild he does also have a tendency to be a bit of an introvert. Not unfriendly, he just enjoys his "me" time. Notably, he thinks of himself as a master of anything that shoots anything. Deep inside he has a passion for anything that fires projectiles. If you need something shot, he is there. Count on it. He is a natural survivalist, but this makes him less proficient in the finer things of life. He doesn't give much to frivolity. He is kindly and trusting, but wary of anything that he "doesn't have a good feeling about."

Goal: To explore the putter reaches of the world and, should the opportunity arise, to explore new and foreign forms of weaponry.

What they can bring: Honestly he may not be great at building, but he has a knack for navigation. He is also a gifted explorer and survivalist, so being thrust into new hostile atmospheres might not phase him as it would most. In addition, being of Fey descent he is accustomed to strange creatures and plant life, some of which defy even the normal laws of nature. But he is also an excellent marksman. If there is any need for a ship to use anything projectile related ... Count him in.

Last edited by Knightfall; 10-31-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:40 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 905
DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles
My character wants to leave the world he's currently stuck on very much, but he hates space travel, so he'd be a bit conflicted there. He's certainly built for combat and investigation. I'd love to see him in scenarios where his skillset is totally useless, however, and he's forced to be non-violent.
He/Him
Old 10-31-2019, 06:44 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3973
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
I do believe my character is complete! Right over here.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:33 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5123
Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H
Hey ParzivalFair, so you want to go ahead with the app for Rorik Thunderoak rather than Lux?

Last edited by Code H; 10-31-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:52 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Yeppers!

Old 10-31-2019, 08:01 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Ok wanted to check.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:13 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17152
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code H View Post
I was wondering if I could pick the minds of you potential players for what you're most looking for to help keep plan a bit better. I've been imagining the game as a roughly three parts split of Combat and Battle, both on the ground and in space between ships, Exploration and Survival, Diplomacy and Trade. But I like to tailor my game to player likes and expectations.
Plenty of combat and character development are always important in a D&D game, IMHO. I will say that I am really not a fan of "crafting" in the video game sense of "gather 10 crippleweal flowers and 2 carrion crawler tentacles in order to concoct a potion of improved dashing". I can see games heavily focused on survival or trade skewing in that direction (just replace "potion" with either "today's rations" or "the exotic spice mix desired by the emissary from the Heggo Empire").

I think that the wonder of being part of a civilization that's newly able to discover strange new worlds is an appealing aspect of the framework you've got. I would hate to see that turn into the grind of a resource management game (though specific encounters or challenges based on those aspects would be fine, in my mind).
Old 11-01-2019, 12:12 AM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
I think that the wonder of being part of a civilization that's newly able to discover strange new worlds is an appealing aspect of the framework you've got. I would hate to see that turn into the grind of a resource management game (though specific encounters or challenges based on those aspects would be fine, in my mind).
I agree with this. I like the idea of encountering strange new cultures and races, and wandering through some of the settlements that have already been established on other celestial bodies. I'm not necessarily opposed to the occasional "go to this planet, moidle this creature for its egg sac, and bring it back" mission, though, especially because each planet would each be slightly different. I'm mostly in it for the wonder of it all.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:12 AM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Hey. Yeh not to worry that isn't what I had in mind for survival. Although there may be some tense moments of trying to figure out how to get specific resources once in the event something goes poorly. This will not be a micromanagement game where you need to acquire two units of water every day to keep everyone alive. Crash landing on a planet and needing to gather some food and water to tide you over while you fix the ship, or a critical component being damaged in battle though, that sort of thing can happen. My ideals of running something in survival would be something like the movies Apollo 13, Gravity, or the Martian. Something goes wrong, figure out a solution. Not something that will nag you again and again day in and day out. Hope that sounds like it could be fun and interesting.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:21 AM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
And for the snipe post. Gotcha. Definitely had some of that planned but can lean heavier on that if it seems like that's the thing folks want. Honestly I have lots of ideas along the wonder and exploration sorts of lines. But I just need to figure out a good way to make sure to marry that with gameplay. I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:47 AM
Hunter of the Wumpus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Knightfall Knightfall
It's hard to say what I would like to see. I see this certainly as a mix of exploration and treasure hunting, but I think there are just so many other options open too. I think the travel is an important enough part of the story, and making sure that at our stops we resupply properly. This can make us have to do things like quests to acquire the necessary components or materials from the locals. From there the story can either be kept isolated to worlds or there could be an overarching "galactic" kind of plot.

I would also love to see an aspect of being able to craft or design gear and things at some point. Normally that might be mundane, but when you are scouting interstellar systems and discovering new concepts and ideas, it brings a new element to it. Obviously that wouldn't be a huge deal for my character, being a ranger, but he could certainly prod other people in that direction lol.

Anyway, (provided I get in) I'm just here for the ride. I think you have lots of options for what to do. I think based on your posts you sound like your going in the right directions.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:58 AM
Blink and you'll miss it.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8432
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
And of course, the three don't need to be mutually exclusive. The crafters shouldn't feel like they're waiting for combat to end so they can do their thing, or the fighters standing around "guarding" while the survivalists do things, etc. Combat can happen during the "survival phase" ("while you're trying to determine if the water is safe, suddenly something springs up at you!"), diplomacy fits in lots of situations ("We've been beating on this water thingie for ten minutes with no effect. Someone try to talk to it..."), and survival is pretty much a constant in space ("While you're defending against the water thingie, trying to establish a parley, you notice a shift in the air pressure...make a roll.")

That way, nobody's waiting for their "turn", but everyone has time to shine!
Old 11-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 231
gwythion gwythion gwythion
Name: Zilfin Zago
Race: Rock Gnome
Class: Wizard (Evoker)

Description: A tiny gnome with immaculate grooming. Red hair, slicked back, and a moustache that would be big on someone twice his size. A dandyish suit of black and silver, and a hat with a broad brim and a peacock’s feather.

Personality: A navigator and ship’s wizard, out for treasure, glory, and hedonistic delights. Accepting of anyone who accepts him, who prefers to defuse or avoid confrontation, but able and willing to wreak havoc when there is no other option.

Goal: His aspirations are to see the universe and have fun doing it. And... Volo wrote a guidebook about the world, Zilfin wants to one-up him and write a book about the Aether.

Ship Roles: Navigator/Pilot, Wizard so able to tinker with magic, possibly also actual construction/repair.

Backstory: Down on the ground, he was a ship's wizard and navigator for many years, usually on the wrong side of the law. As it got harder and harder for him to find safe harbors, he decided to take off for the moon. On the trip, he had the idea to write a book, a guide to the Aether, but he's now discovered that it's not as easy as he thought to find a berth on a ship.

Last edited by gwythion; 11-02-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Hey guys. So the game has been approved and it's up. I'm out of town for a few days though and busy with work. So I'll start getting it set up later this week.

Go ahead and get any outstanding aps finished. I'll still be around to answer questions too.

Mainly I wanted to check with hippo, your app still says in progress but looks pretty done. Were you just indicating you might still tweak at it?