RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 11-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10617
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
@ParzivalFair: Yeah... exactly. I fell down the Bratva rabbit hole and eventually found myself singing along to Russian gangster ballads, their version of cartel narcocorrido. I almost gave myself some prison tattoos but my wife intervened at the last second. Bless her heart.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:22 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 198
StarCommanderVong StarCommanderVong
All done with Elspeth.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4037
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
So, I'm planning on a gunslinger, but can that extend to bow and arrow? Not just guns?

I took the Oath of Sangus
Old 11-02-2019, 12:43 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3973
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
So, I'm planning on a gunslinger, but can that extend to bow and arrow? Not just guns?
I'd be willing to work with you to build an archer that could keep up with the other PCs. There are a lot of compound and hybrid bows today that are just as lethal as most handguns. As for the Gunslinger class, you can take it with a bow as long as you can explain it for your character, lol. They'd better be an excellent bow hunter or Olympic archer or something!
Old 11-02-2019, 12:45 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCommanderVong View Post
All done with Elspeth.
Elspeth looks good!
Old 11-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1104
cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy
Zoe is done as well.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:02 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4793
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Character application
right-aligned image
Name: Dr. Noé Dávila De la Torre

Race: Variant Human

Class: Dedicated Hero - Field Scientist

Alignment: True Neutral

Background: Doctor (Disgraced)

Personality: Mr. Dávalos tries to keep a low profile, speaking little and cooperating whenever called upon, yet his awkward smiles rarely ever reach his eyes. There is a tinge of sadness to his every word, yet he doesn't allow melancholy or regret to stop him from completing the tasks at hand, naturally taking the role of the responsible adult in the room and bearing whatever burden that may require. Such an attitude could drain a lesser man from the energy and drive needed to keep going, but not Noé; most times he needs only a quick break and a chance to lie down, preferably while listening to some slow music, before he can open his eyes and start walking once more.

Looks: An anemic waist, elongated limbs and the gaunt face that does not betray a single day of the half-century the former doctor has spent upon this earth, that's the visage that greets Noé each morning as he shaves with surgical precision. He was thin even back in the day, but after his time in prison you'd be hard pressed to describe him as anything other than a walking skeleton. Still, the man tries to look as sharp as the situation affords him, keeping his worn-out and off-colored lab coat as clean as he can muster, and his receding hair-line meticulously combed, at least for as long as it lasts.

Backstory: The eldest son of a middle-class family living in the border city of Mexicali, Noé Dávila grew up with the ideal of leaving behind a better world than the one he had received. He graduated from Monterrey Tech, soon after enrolling in UC San Diego's medical school. After his freshman year he took some time off and did a one-year research fellowship in chemistry. Later, while still in medical school, he participated in a research fellowship in a virus laboratory, where he was first introduced to a field that had never interested him, but that would change his life. He received his medical degree, and two years later he married Dr. Donna Lindman, a pharmacologist who had recently concluded her studies at Stanford College.

Three years later Dr. Dávila went to UCLA for a National Research Council fellowship to study the influenza virus. He studied with Dr. Johannes Lechner, an internationally known virologist that soon grew closer to the Dávilas and even became the godfather to their only daughter, Mariel Dávila Lindman, born two years after the start of the fellowship. Their research work lead them, after little more than a decade, to the interest of developing commercial vaccines against the flu and other, stronger strains of its virus. Thus, alongside his beloved Donna and best friend Johannes, Dr. Dávila co-founded DLL-Pharma Ltd., which barely five years from its inception had managed to seize a staggering 3% of the US vaccine manufacturing market, as well as the exclusive rights of distribution for all its commercially available medical drugs to the Mexican government's health sector.

But that would not last for long, after Dr. Johannes had failed to manage the company's stocks, and in order to stave off bankruptcy during the financial crisis, DLL-Pharma Ltd. had been forced to engage in questionable research under the US Health and Human Services Department, which involved largely unethical and entirely illegal vaccine experimentation within ICE Service Procession Centers, which acted for all intents and purposes as concentration camps for illegal immigrants, particularly young women and children detained after crossing the border.

During the time this research took place; Dr. Dávila discovered a new and highly efficient method of growing influenza virus in cell culture while making it less infectious. Thanks to this break-through, he was the first to develop a successful vaccine using a mixture of the three types of virus that were grown in monkey kidney cultures, using formalin, a chemical that inactivated the whole virus. What followed was testing of the vaccine in clinical trials in México and parts of the United States. The results were dramatic. Many cases of influenza were cured, and the development of immunity was confirmed across the vaccinated test groups. Because of this, the Mexican government quickly granted permission for the vaccine to be distributed to the children all over the country.

And then, only a month after the first round of vaccines had been distributed across México, a stream of calamities befell DLL-Pharma Ltd: First, several chinese laboratories began manufacturing low-quality knock-offs of the drug and shipping them into Latin America with help of corrupt american and mexican officials, cutting deep into both profits for the actual patent-holders and their medication's credibility. Then a group of competing pharmaceutical companies in the US lobbied for an in-depth audit of DLL, pressing charges of unjust enrichment, unfair competition, government collusion and market monopolization, claiming the meteoric rise of the new laboratory to be unattainable by legal means. And then, a lobby of activists targeted the firm directly, eventually getting a seemingly guilt-ridden Dr. Johannes to appear in national television confessing their part in the unlawful medical experimentation and violation of human rights occurred in the ICE SPCs, on top of accusing his long time friend and board director, Dr. Dávila, of having plagiarized his research, now claiming the legal rights to both the medicine's design and the novel virus inhibition techniques; all the while embezzling DLL-Pharma's funds in order to short-sale their own actions through a series of proxy stoke brokers.

Many months of law-suits and court hearings later, the stress of the public scorn and harassment drove Donna to taking her own life, an act that was seen and exploited by the media as an acknowledgement of guilt, one that the L.A. public prosecutor leveraged in order to have the head of the company imprisoned and his medical license revoked under allegations of first-degree murder. Years passed. Noé had been in jail still when the first cases of the new disease appeared, and by the time he found out about it, there was already a full-blown pandemic tearing through the continent. He immediately tried to contact the authorities, begging for a chance to work on a cure; not in order to reduce his sentence, but simply because his conscience would not allow him to sit idly while people he could be helping died by the thousands and the tens of thousands.

The governor of California himself eventually granted him furlough so he could work with other scientist, to try and solve the blood flu crisis. While investigating the mutated virus to find a cure, he eventually discovered DLL-Pharma and Lechner's handiwork in the composition of the particular strain that caused the Weepers, including a base framework of his own design- denoting it as the vaccine that they'd worked on before he'd been imprisoned... along the chinese modifications made to cut costs, but that had a much lesser success rate when it came to actually neutralizing the infectiousness of the virus. His first thought was that Johaness must have been the one who sold their formula offshore, kickstarting DLL-Pharma's demise long before any legal process had started. Yet another betrayal. The second, however, was the sudden and sickening realization of them being, at least in part, responsible for the advance of the infection in its most terrifying form. Upon this discovery, the over-burdened and under-staffed administration tasked him with finding Lechner in order to bring him back. Guilty or not, he too was a brilliant scientist who could help revert the abysmal situation that the country now faced.

As he marched out into the dying Earth, Noé cared not for revenge, and only little for justice, being much more concerned with the fact that upon his imprisonment Dr. Lechner had claimed custody of his beloved daughter Mariel, who he hadn't seen since she was a teenager and that by now should be in her late twenties... supposing she was still alive. Thus, following the famed virologist's trail from one abandoned government facility to the next, an old, tired, yet driven Noé found his way into Lake Hemet Campground, where his weary heart had been blessed with rumors of a young woman going by Dr. Lindman, who'd passed through the quarantine zone not long ago. That was all the hope the old man needed to keep going.

Theme song: I walk through the valley - Shawn James & The Shapeshifters

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 11-06-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7876
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Jenny is done, pending any questions or comments you might have.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:15 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 198
StarCommanderVong StarCommanderVong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParzivalFair View Post
Elspeth looks good!
Cool. I promise I'll try and find a theme song for her at some point. Like I said, I'm not very good at that.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey

Old 11-02-2019, 08:07 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
@StarCommanderVong, no worries, take your time. It's not a vital part of the app, anyway.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:46 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics

Old 11-02-2019, 10:59 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
Alrighty, folks, given the number of quite excellent applications we're seeing here, I've decided to move the deadline up. Assuming the game thread is functional, I plan on closing the recruitment on November 7th. That way we can sum up on Friday, and hopefully get rolling on Monday.

So get those apps in, people!

Old 11-03-2019, 02:34 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4793
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Dr. Noé's app is as good as finished, unless you've got any feedback for me

Truth be told, this is my first time making a character for a modern-day setting, but I found the idea to be quite fun!

It certainly calls for a much more grounded and detailed backstory and personality than the average fantasy or sci-fi adventures I am used to

Here's hoping the old man makes the cut!

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 11-03-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
My app is finished as well, awaiting feedback if necessary of course.

I have to admit, I was a little intimidated by the idea and was dragging my feet because of it-- but I decided to jump in with it anyway! The modern setting is my first as well, but I'm stoked about it!

Last edited by Odyssey; 11-03-2019 at 04:44 PM.