twitter facebook

Notices

Old 11-06-2019, 04:07 AM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2193
mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb
... So the magic system for Dying Earth is the inspiration for the Wizard spell system in D&D's various editions. Sure sounds identical. Maybe not so much in 5E what with spell slots.

Last edited by mjb; 11-06-2019 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:26 AM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4037
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
I donno about identical, but an uncanny comparison! Also, new books for me to check out that I didn't know existed!

I took the Oath of Sangus
Old 11-06-2019, 10:45 AM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3973
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Tomorrow is the deadline, folks! Wrap it up if you haven't yet!
Old 11-06-2019, 10:54 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4793
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Just finished editing the app with the changes we discussed

Thanks for putting together this game Parzival!
Old 11-06-2019, 11:07 AM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Faindel View Post
Just finished editing the app with the changes we discussed

Thanks for putting together this game Parzival!
I'm just glad anybody was interested. I was sort of worried people would rather play something in the zombie-survival nature on one of the systems meant for it.

On the note of the interest this game has received, anybody interested in co-DMing shoot me a PM. There's enough for two groups easily, but I'm not certain I want to run two by myself just yet. The second group could start anywhere on the North American continent, and the lack of real plotline allows for minimal planning. DMing the second group wouldn't disqualify you from the first, so that's not an issue.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4057
Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
I donno about identical, but an uncanny comparison! Also, new books for me to check out that I didn't know existed!
The dying earth series was in the inspiration for the D&D magic system we use today.

Watch this for a great history lesson!

https://youtu.be/vjijnTzA2TE
Old 11-06-2019, 11:27 AM
The helpful polar bear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8133
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParzivalFair View Post
On the note of the interest this game has received, anybody interested in co-DMing shoot me a PM.
I would be all over this if I wasn't already DM'ing seven games on top of NPSG

Old 11-06-2019, 11:39 AM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retry View Post
I would be all over this if I wasn't already DM'ing seven games on top of NPSG
Pace yourself, lol. Also... didn't your bear used to be brown?
Old 11-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4037
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Quote:
Also... didn't your bear used to be brown?
Lol! I thought the same thing! I had to do a double take

I took the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Odyssey; 11-06-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5684
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Quote:
Pace yourself, lol. Also... didn't your bear used to be brown?
The stress of the job(s) made him go prematurely white.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:22 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4793
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Retry, your bear should really cut back on smoking, its doing a number on its health

Why not pick up a healthier habit, such as DMing another 7 games?

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 11-06-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:30 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Faindel View Post
Retry, your bear should really cut back on smoking, its doing a number on its health

Why not pick up a healthier habit, such as DMing another 7 games?
Or just one more, lol.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:49 AM
Chocolate Chips

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2884
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Kelli Telfur

left-aligned image
Name: Kelli Telfur

Race: Variant Human

Class: Tough Hero - Daredevil

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Background: Athlete - Football (Soccer in America)

Personality Trait: Determination. When I set my mind to do something, I do it. And no one will ever bring me down again.

Ideal: Loyalty. Baring those who try to stab me in the back, I am loyal to my friends, and to my teammates.

Bond: I haven't seen my family, or Sophie, since my second year of college. I pray for their safety each and every night.

Flaw: I sometimes don't consider all the dangers when taking risks. But the rush is what makes me feel alive.

Personality: On the field, she was boisterous, exuberant, and definitely one of, if not the leader of the team. Her eyes were always on the goal of winning. And if that meant setting up another player to score, then that is what Kelli was willing to do.

Off the field though, Kelli is quiet, even when surrounded by friends. She smiles, and nods her head, and may voice an occasional opinion. But she's not the most outgoing individual.

Most importantly though, Kelli has always been determined to be the best she can be, and to never let those who depend on her down.

Looks: Kelli has long black hair that even when not playing football, she keeps in a ponytail. She has dark brown eyes that in the right darkness look like black pools you can lose yourself in. Standing at 5'7", she has a strong athletic body, wrapped in a naturally tanned layer of skin.

Backstory: On Kelli's eighteenth birthday, she opened the letter from the UCLAUniversity of California, Los Angeles. With a somber face, she announced that she'd been accepted!! It was one of the happiest moments of her life. That happiness lasted all summer long, as she spent most of her time with her girlfriend, Becky Anne Cort. Becky Anne was her first girlfriend, after she finally came out to her parents. And best of all, Becky Anne was going to UCLA as well, which was the biggest reason Kelli felt she needed to go as well.

But once on campus, things started to go sideways for Team Belli. Becky Anne was instantly accepted into her family's Sorority, as a Legacy, and the sorority house being named after her family, there really was no other choice. Soon after, Rebecca began to change. At first it was just small things, no longer going on morning runs with Kelli, and not being satisfied with simple picnics in the park. And soon she was trying to dress Kelli up in high-end fashion, needing her to be "presentable" to her new sisters. And when Kelli tried to gently confront her about it, in private, Rebecca stormed out of Kelli's dorm room.

Worse still, Kelli's confidence was beginning to slip. All the other girls on the AKA Soccerfootball team were outperforming her, and when she confided in Rebecca, there was no support. No encouragement. Instead, she used that moment to point out Kelli's flaws, not just on the field, but in their relationship. And then for the coupe de grace, Rebecca decided then was the best time to inform Kelli that they were through. Without another word, Rebecca pulled herself away from Kelli's limp embrace, and flounced out the door, and out of Kelli's life.

Devastated, Kelli's life spiraled. She did worse at practice than she'd already been, but worse still her academics began to suffer as well. Kelli had never been top of her grade. She had a 3.3 GPA. But she was now slipping to 2.0, and in danger of getting lower. Thankfully, the team captain, Sophie Wielka wasn't about to give up on someone who had shown such promise at the beginning of the year. Sophie talked Kelli through her doubts, and began working with her to take back what was hers: confidence, success, and living life to the fullest.

Kelli fought hard to move back up to the top of her game, and past what she'd thought was her best possible self. By the end of that first year, she was leader of the second squad, and looking to make first squad the next year. During the off season, she joined a dance team, and once again took up yoga. She also was invited by Sophie to hang with her friends, and go on amazing adventures like rock climbing, white water rafting, and skydiving.

One of Sophie's friends, Stephen, introduced Kelli to the discipline of parkour, while Sophie brought Kelli to her kickboxing classes. Kelli was on top of the world, once again, and falling madly in love with Sophie. But that second part scared her. Memories of Becky resurfaced, keeping her confidence in love low. She went home for the Summer, keeping herself in shape at the local gym, and running local and statewide marathons. She talked about Sophie a lot to her family, which convinced her that she needed to talk to Sophie about their relationship, if they were just friends or was something more even possible?

It was a month after Kelli had returned to UCLA that the outbreak in Mexico happened. At first, most reporters were assuring their United States viewers that there was nothing to worry about. The virus would be contained at the border. But three weeks later, all hell had broken loose, and people in the United States began dying by the thousands, then the millions. The college closed down, and began sending the students home. Determined not to leave without telling Sophie her true feelings, Kelli tried to find her only to learn that Sophie's parents had already sent for Sophie earlier that morning. Sophie was gone, and hopefully safe.

Kelli's family, on the other hand, didn't have the money to fly their daughter home so soon after paying for the ticket to get her to California. So Kelly filed onto the one of the trains heading to a quarantine zone. Someplace called Lake Hemet... Campground?

Friends and Family: Kelli made many friends on the Bruins SoccerFootball Team, most importantly Sophie Wielka - A Junior during Kelli's Freshman year, she was already a team Captain of Kelli's rookie season. She helped Kelli break free of her self-doubt and be a fighter.

Stephen Frelly - A friend of Sophie's, and a devotee of parkour. He's been training Kelli in this discipline, and become a good friend to her in the mean time. He may or may not be at Lake Hemet.

Rebecca Anne Cort - Kelli's ex-best friend and ex-girlfriend. Rebecca turned into a high-maintenance B****, who valued money over friends. Her family is wealthy, and yet for some odd reason, they didn't put their beloved Rebecca on one of the first jets out of the West coast, as she is also on the same train as Kelli, heading for Lake Hemet.

Sarah Telfur - Bank Teller at the First National Bank of Barion County. Sarah is Kelli's mother. She works hard to bring home an honest pay check, and take care of her two other children.

Mark Telfur - For years, Mark has worked odd jobs, not ever finding a steady paycheck, until recently. He was recently given a raise as a floor manager at the new Alro Steel plant. It's the break he's been waiting for.

Derek Telfur - Kelli's only brother, four years younger. He wants to be join the United States Air Force when he grows up. And then, he wants to fly to Mars.

Heather Telfur - Kelli's sister, and ten years younger than Kelli. She was an "accident". At nine years old, the only thing Heather's shown consistent interest in has been music, specifically the drums.

Theme song: Fighter by Christina Aguilera

Last edited by In the Mix; 11-07-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:59 AM
Very Young Gnome

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 112
GNOME GNOME
Today's big day! Good luck everyone!
Old 11-07-2019, 06:21 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 198
StarCommanderVong StarCommanderVong
Elspeth has been updated with a theme song, and also image source because I forgot that at first.

I don't know if the song is a great fit, but like I said, I'm kind of terrible at that stuff.