RPXP: 61
ProfoundBeggard
Aethera

Game NameAethera
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeA crew going from job to job in a space fantasy universe
Flavour1940s Magitech, Space exploration, Mercenary
Plot SummaryThe Universe

The Aethera System consists of two suns and four worlds, each of which shares an intrinsic tie to one of the Inner Planes. Researchers long ago confirmed the planar ties of their own home worlds and compared results of these studies to other planets during the Century War, agreeing that each world of the Aethera System is associated with a different elemental plane. Less understood is the way each world rotates through a cycle of elemental alignments across a measure of hundreds of thousands of years. Evidence across the myriad worlds—coral atop Akasaati mountains, flash-frozen forests on Orbis-Aurea—suggests that these alignments changed violently during the Collapse. But none can say for certain whether this change caused the Collapse, or was instigated by it.

Inhabitants

The myriad worlds of the Aethera System are inhabited by myriad peoples and species. Each culture across the Aethera System was impacted by the catastrophic Century War, and their role in the war impacts their current outlook and relations. Humanity and the erahthi, the two opposing sides of the Century War, only recently ceased their hostilities and tensions created by this conflict still run deep. Other races, like the phalanx, were physically constructed by humanity and existed only as weapons of war until their emancipation at the war’s conclusion. These sorts of societal influences dramatically impact interpersonal relations and can, themselves, become a great story.

Technology

The Aethera System runs on aethertech, a hybrid of magical theory and mechanical technology powered by the energy derived from aetherite, a crystallized form of magic found across the system. Aethertech is an umbrella term covering a broad spectrum of advanced technology created from the fusion of magic and science. The first pieces of aethertech were reverse-engineered from ancient technology pre-dating recorded history. Humanity was the first species to craft aethertech, and while it brought them to the stars, it also served as the catalyst of the Century War.

Note: Technology is not digital or electronic. It is analogous to 1940s technology augmented with magic and otherwise impossible feat of engineering. Electronic/digital is progenitor tech which tends to be unreliable.

The Job

On Akasaat, your crew has been hired to retrieve a Century War weapon far from a restricted area, traveling the desert and facing it's danger to reach the weapon, will be your objective and bring it back to your employer.

Creating your Character:

Level: 6

HP: Max at all levels

Ability Scores: 25 (Epic Fantasy) Point Buy

Races: The Primary races of the setting are Humans, Erathi, Infused, Okanta and Phalanx. Humans are the only race from the core rulebook available in Aethera. Other less common races includes ifrit,oread, sylph, and undine. Other races live in corner of the universe or isolated like changeling, dhampir, kasatha, ratfolk, tengu or others.

Classes: Clerics and Warpriests are not available due to the setting being anathema to deities. All other 1st party classes and The Cantor are available to play, including archetypes.

Feats: Feat tax are in play.

Background Skills are in play.

Traits: 2 traits + 1 with a drawback

Aetheric Units (Gold): 16,000 au (fractional units can be used, one sp is 1/10th and one copper is 1/100th, a fractional au can't power an item costing 1 full au)

Firearms in the setting uses the Guns Everywhere rule. One-handed and two-handed firearms are simple weapons. Heavy firearms are martial weapons. Early firearms, advanced firearms and their ammunition cost 10% of the cost listed. Early firearms are considered antique and extremely uncommon. gunslinger loses the gunsmith class feature instead gaining the gun training at 1st level and an additional level of gun training at 5th level.

Firearms are modified in other ways in the setting (If you buy Aethera specific firearms see the book)

Content Available: Paizo 1st Party and Aethera Campaign Setting

Last edited by ProfoundBeggard; 11-05-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:31 PM
leaves spin windward

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39346
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Not to be confused with the best Aethera on site.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:06 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ProfoundBeggard
Lol nice.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:35 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58946
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
Not to be confused with the best Aethera on site.
There's another game with your name?
Old 11-06-2019, 11:49 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
app withdrawn.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:03 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ProfoundBeggard
Nice dirk, let me put a little more context here with the Humans of the setting:

Humans in Aethera

Humans dwell primarily upon their homeworld of Akasaat, though they have long since slipped their terrestrial bonds. Humans were the first race in the Aethera System to acquire both interplanetary and interspatial travel after the Collapse, and as such, are one of the most widespread peoples. They now have significant presences on Orbis Aurea, among the asteroids of the Amrita belt, and even on one of the moons of Kir-Sharaat.​

Humans often exhibit a headstrong nature, following whatever path they set themselves upon with an admirable determination; unfortunately, this attribute can also manifest as a colonial mindset and iron-fisted control. The Hierarchy, rulers of the metropolitan arcologies of Akasaat, demonstrates many of the latter traits, and this is often the first impression other species receive of humanity.​

Happily, not all human attitudes are so contentious; the same stubborn nature that lies at the root of that colonial attitude also makes humans enterprising and driven, and is part of the reason why humans were the first into space. The other trait for which humans have become known is a strong affinity for—some would say a dependency on—aetherite. While even its detractors cannot deny that aetherite-based technology has surmounted an impressive array of obstacles, the fact remains that much of humanity’s technology and society is built upon an incredibly toxic, and finite, resource.

Last edited by ProfoundBeggard; 11-07-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:13 AM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16143
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Well you certainly know how to attract all the reds to a party.

Name the game after one of them.

I look forward to wodine; I assume it will make Ravenloft look like Care-a-Lot.
I have fallen under the weather; expect moderate delays in posting. Thank you.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:25 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ProfoundBeggard
The more, the merrier, Aethera is a very fun campaign setting.

The space opera nature of things does offer multiple genres, from action-adventures to horror.

Something worth considering to buy for anybody with armor is the Ballistic Enhancement, it cost +800 Au but it gives your armor DR/- equal to half of your total armor bonus against firearms dealing physical damage. (it's not a magical enhancement just an alchemical application/coating to the armor)
Old 11-07-2019, 06:42 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 198
StarCommanderVong StarCommanderVong
Oooh, Aethera. I bought that PDF a few years back and have been looking for an excuse to get some use out of it. Consider me interested.

EDIT: Also, dangit, Dirk already put in a bid for a Magus.

Next on list of best classes...

Last edited by StarCommanderVong; 11-07-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ProfoundBeggard
Many options.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:51 PM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1743
MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn
Been staring at the source material for the past couple days now. Let's roll this out.

ApplicationName: Magnum
Race: Phalanx
Class: Gunslinger 4 (Black Powder Vaulter archetype)/ Investigator 2 (Lepidstadt Inspector archetype)

Description: Magnum is a fairly prototypical phalanx, boasting the standard gender-neutral armored frame and glowing blue eyes typical of their people. Their armor plating is a nice cobalt blue, decorated by numerous nicks and blemishes from years of combat on the pieces that haven't had to be outright replaced. However, Magnum has begun to experiment with "body modification" and currently sports an airbrushed gold "tattoo" of sorts, a stylized representation of The Score winding in a spiral around their right forearm. Ever since the Century War ended, Magnum has adopted a rather simple style of dress, most predominantly with a long armored coat of some sort and a black bowler hat upon their head.

Personality: Magnum is a quiet and resolute, the kind of person who won't use two words when one will do. They possess a tired, old soul born in the forge of the greatest war the system has ever seen. However, they are still very polite and careful with their words not to come off standoffish or prickly. They are also very perceptive to both the environment and people around them, with a sharp mind and eye for details, a habit that was drilled into them during military training and that their new profession only helps sharpen. When Magnum does talk freely and openly, it tends to be philosophical waxing on the human condition, as the phalanx is still struggling to find their place among the cosmos.

Background: Like the rest of their kind, Magnum is a veteran of the Century War. One of the last surviving members of an elite commando squad, the gunslinger racked up an impressive kill count before The Accords were signed. Peace was something that no phalanx was ready for, but Magnum was one of the harder hit mentally speaking. At first, they tried to step into the ranks of the Protectorate in Central, but between the innate biases of the Slot system and an unfortunate case of excessive force against a young noble during an investigation, Magnum found themselves drummed out after only two years of service. Circumstances forced Magnum down from the Midlands into the Foundation, where they took what the military and the Protectorate had taught them and set up an independent investigation service, thinking it would be an easy living. Nothing could be further from the truth, and the past couple of years have been wild ones for the phalanx PI. Bounties for missing items or people have become their bread and butter, and they have started to build a bit of a reputation for finding things that others want to stay hidden, a reputation that has led to this current contract to track down some weapon out in the Wastelands.

Last edited by MaximumUnicorn; 11-07-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:26 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 198
StarCommanderVong StarCommanderVong
Oh hey, Dirk, just as a suggestion, if you add the Eldritch Archer Archetype on top of the Hexcrafter Archetype, they don't overlap, and you can then have Shade also use firearms for his Spellstrike.

This is a character build I made back when I first got the PDF for a game that went nowhere.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:03 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks SCV... i'll peep at that.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:52 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ProfoundBeggard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumUnicorn View Post
Been staring at the source material for the past couple days now. Let's roll this out.

ApplicationName: Magnum
Race: Phalanx
Class: Gunslinger 4 (Black Powder Vaulter archetype)/ Investigator 2 (Lepidstadt Inspector archetype)

Description: Magnum is a fairly prototypical phalanx, boasting the standard gender-neutral armored frame and glowing blue eyes typical of their people. Their armor plating is a nice cobalt blue, decorated by numerous nicks and blemishes from years of combat on the pieces that haven't had to be outright replaced. However, Magnum has begun to experiment with "body modification" and currently sports an airbrushed gold "tattoo" of sorts, a stylized representation of The Score winding in a spiral around their right forearm. Ever since the Century War ended, Magnum has adopted a rather simple style of dress, most predominantly with a long armored coat of some sort and a black bowler hat upon their head.

Personality: Magnum is a quiet and resolute, the kind of person who won't use two words when one will do. They possess a tired, old soul born in the forge of the greatest war the system has ever seen. However, they are still very polite and careful with their words not to come off standoffish or prickly. They are also very perceptive to both the environment and people around them, with a sharp mind and eye for details, a habit that was drilled into them during military training and that their new profession only helps sharpen. When Magnum does talk freely and openly, it tends to be philosophical waxing on the human condition, as the phalanx is still struggling to find their place among the cosmos.

Background: Like the rest of their kind, Magnum is a veteran of the Century War. One of the last surviving members of an elite commando squad, the gunslinger racked up an impressive kill count before The Accords were signed. Peace was something that no phalanx was ready for, but Magnum was one of the harder hit mentally speaking. At first, they tried to step into the ranks of the Protectorate in Central, but between the innate biases of the Slot system and an unfortunate case of excessive force against a young noble during an investigation, Magnum found themselves drummed out after only two years of service. Circumstances forced Magnum down from the Midlands into the Foundation, where they took what the military and the Protectorate had taught them and set up an independent investigation service, thinking it would be an easy living. Nothing could be further from the truth, and the past couple of years have been wild ones for the phalanx PI. Bounties for missing items or people have become their bread and butter, and they have started to build a bit of a reputation for finding things that others want to stay hidden, a reputation that has led to this current contract to track down some weapon out in the Wastelands.

This is pretty nice. Glad to see someone else is a fan of it.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:19 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1151
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
There's always gotta be that one applicant who has to ask 'can I have the thing even though it's not on the list?'

Sigh. Here goes.

Can I make an android?

Aetherized of course. A bit of 'magical tech' instead of the bog-standard 'Androids are from crashed alien ships' that Pathfinder uses. Perhaps an ancient artifact thought to be a statue until it unexpectedly awakened?

If not, that's totally cool. I have other ideas. I just wanted to get the pie in the sky one shot down (or not) first.

Thanks!

...and now that I've done a bit more reading, I see the setting already HAS ancient robots that awakened...hahaha!

Okay, nevermind. I think I'll do something else. Sadly, I don't have the setting book for this, so it's a little tricky to do a character in one of the setting specific races. I'll make do!

Last edited by SalmonMax; 11-08-2019 at 03:23 AM.