RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 11-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3971
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Seasons in Saltmarsh

Seasons in Saltmarsh

A Ghosts of Saltmarsh Campaign for 5th Edition D&D

Theme
Slice-of-Life adventuring, leaving the comfort of home in search of adventure!

Flavor
High adventures by the sea, town political intrigue, and exploration, set in the sword-and-sorcery setting of Greyhawk!

Opening Crawl

Saltmarsh is a nondescript fishing village tucked away on the southern coast of the Kingdom of Keoland. For many years, Keoland was a formidable military power. The kingdom's borders pushed north, west, and east. In the expansion, the wealth of the kingdom grew and the king's eye kept to the north. In the backwater southern coasts, things began to fester. Piracy and banditry flourished.

When Keoland's hold on the north faltered, they returned to find their southern coasts plundered by a loose confederacy of pirates that called themselves the Sea Princes. Treaties were made with their foes in the north, and King Kimbertos Skotti raised a navy to counter the pirate menace. The King decreed that the pirates must be put down. If Keoland cannot be a military power, than it must lead as an economic one. Saltmarsh is distant and remote from the center of Keoland's power, but is going through rapid changes as the world shifts around it.

The crown's agents want to expand the village's port, and dwarven miners have been sent by the king to excavate the seaside cliffs near the town in search of precious metals. The Loyalists would like to see the town reach new levels of prosperity as a seaside trading hub.

Some residents of Saltmarsh are excited by the developments, but others are wary of the crown's ambitions after many years of neglect. The Traditionalists would rather see the town remain as it always has, as a small, cozy, and independent fishing village.

In these uncertain times, rumors swirl of spies, assassins, and magicians loyal to the long-gone Suel Imperium, who seek to usurp the wealth and power at all levels of society. The people of Saltmash don't talk of them much, but in the dark corners of the Empty Net tavern, sailors whisper the name of the Brotherhood of the Scarlet Brotherhood.

You won't hear those whispers, though, over the ranting ghost stories of Sandford Ben, the old poacher who quite-near lost his mind with fright after he stumbled into the Haunted House on Old Alchemists' Bluff.

Game Info and Application
right-aligned image
What I'm looking to do in this game is create a friendly table environment for roleplaying. I intend to make one to two GM posts per week, and expect about the same from players. On the side, I also intend to have a thread for doing more freeform stuff set in Saltmarsh. My ambition is to at least complete the first adventure, The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. Any more than that is icing on the cake!

As far as experience and such goes, I'll be using the Three Pillars XP method. Although it was originally an Unearthed Arcana article, I'm going to use this homebrewed variant of it that rewards exploration and roleplaying on-par with combat. In addition, XP rewards from combat will be based on encounter difficulty, rather than monster-math.

You will be making 1st Level Characters, using any of the options given in the Player's Handbook, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Elemental Evil Player's Companion, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Dungeon Master's Guide, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, or Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica. Variant Human is allowed. Feats from the Feats for Skills UA Article are allowed. I'm also going to allow the brand-new Variant Class Features UA. Starting gear is as normal in the PHB (the stuff granted by your class and background). A character sheet is not required to apply. Also, don't roll dice here, but do have fun creating a character!

When I'm reading an application for this game, I want to think three things:
  • This character wants or needs to escape the common life and go on an adventure as part of an adventuring party.
  • This character feels like they're a part of the community of Saltmarsh, whether they're new to the town or not.
  • This character brings something interesting to the game table.

-Character name: One befitting your character!

Character Concept: You don't need to commit to a race/class here, but a suggestion of one is fine! It doesn't necessarily need to fit Greyhawk as a setting, but should generally fit the campaign in terms of flavor. Re-fluffing stuff is fine too.

Appearance: Images welcome, and descriptions adored!

In place of a background biography, I would prefer you to use two or more of the prompts for some RP Samples:

• You have a good friend or family member in Saltmarsh. What was your most pleasant experience with them?
  • You and another face around Saltmarsh have crossed each-other as rivals. What was the most intense situation between the two of you?
  • You found love in the village. Describe a PG-13 or below, thanks.romantic encounter that you'll never forget.
  • You had a bad experience with the elements: the fire, the salt, the sea, or the storms. What happened?
  • You have a distinct character flaw. When was a time that it got you into trouble?
  • You once had an experience with Magical, Divine, or otherwise!the supernatural that you'll never forget. What happened?

Application Deadline: Wednesday, November 27th, 2019

Last edited by Inuvash255; 11-11-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
[reserved post]
Old 11-05-2019, 02:04 PM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 861
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Interesting..
Old 11-05-2019, 02:11 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Think so?

I can answer any questions and whatnot, also.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Crazy Kobold

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6124
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treble83 View Post
Interesting..
Yes I agree, definitely looks interesting. So it sounds like you are looking for commoner turned adventurer type characters.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3907
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn

right-aligned image

Name: Alton Leagallow
Description: Alton is tall among his kind standing almost three foot two inches. He tends to wear clothing of brown or green coloration suiting his travels in the forests. His hair is a sandy brown typically reaching down to his shoulders in the back and parting in the middle, with large sideburns which connect to a well trimmed beard which comes to a point.
Race: Lightfoot Halfling
Class: Revised Ranger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Folk Hero
Trait: I do judge people by their actions, not their words.
Ideal: Sincerity: There’s no good in pretending to be something I’m not.
Bond: I worked the land, I love the land, and I will protect the land.
Flaw:
I’m convinced of the significance of my destiny, and blind to my shortcomings and the risk of failure.
Backstory:

Last edited by JaredSyn; 11-08-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
@Alatere: Something to that effect!

They don't necessarily need to be a ...which I think of as a farmer, sailor, or artisan, usually...commoner exactly, though.

Using just the backgrounds from the PHB, the adventurer could be a member of the nobility that came to town alongside the crown's Traditionalists, a soldier in the town guard, a local criminal, or a member of the clergy. SCAG also opens the way for bounty hunters and other things.

The common theme I'm looking for is the character being grounded the setting of Saltmarsh, and leaving behind a more mundane life for one more wrought with adventure.

Last edited by Inuvash255; 11-05-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:54 PM
Crazy Kobold

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6124
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Thanks that’s what I thought.

I’m not too familiar with Greyhawk, can we get any more information about Saltmarsh itself?

i.e are there any organisations or buildings of note? Such as a church of a particular religion?

What’s the racial mix of the village? Mostly human?

Any individuals or rumours of note?
Old 11-05-2019, 09:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1267
KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc
Application WIP "RP sample to be more colorfull "
Eve-Lee EverThorn

Character Concept: Messenger between the thief guild of the nearest city. Like to perform at the local tavern, singing, and dancing (act as a Martyr in her new group). Little claustrophobia when in a boat with cat-like fear of water... hope there will be some quest on the see
Races: Human transform in Fire Genasi or maybe the Shifter new race but tweak/flavor with fire/earth elemental instead of the tough skin version of the subrace
Class: Bard ... ( probably multi-class later in a barbarian for rage when martyr to protect other)

In the beginning
Eve-Lee Everthorn was born in the simple City of SaltMarsh. She grew up surround by love, but with strict educational rules. Since her two parents were in the militia of the city, She was partially raised by the neighborhood. But even with that more human harmony, she had enuff of drilling education of her two strick home sergeant. At twelve, she leaves the comfort of home to join the passing circus as a firebreather. She quickly learns the way and demonstrates real talent.

Enuff of all those captivity
right-aligned image

Doing some performance in a bar, the shows turns bad with a customer and a fight begins. Escaping by the back door, running amok in the alley to finish in a dead-end, she was now facing the angry customer, telling her that her growing up transformation wasn't finished yet. He creates a portal and pushes her into a gate link in a forgotten corner of hell, then closes it.
She passes nearly 1 year encage in this fire pocket dimension transforming her one skin&mind inside that self-preserving cocoon. Inside, she was maul by formless entity days after days. She was barrely alive and maybe she was but the cocoon keeps her breathing this warm cinder scent air. Then when the portal opens again, a dark shadow forms, a demon for sure, tell her that her captor was destroyed... at least, for now, returned to the abyss. He accepts to free her in exchange for a pack on her life. Bruised, mauled physically and mentally, she accept. She was half transformed, her skin now turned in some kind of harden magma, not really appealing for the common mortal. Most of her legs and some parts of the arms too.

Now free, she tries to return to her native city, Saltmarsh. But along the way, while whistling a song of her childhood that her mother sings to her, she has been grab by a giant that like how it sound to his ear en emprisoning here ... again. He requests her to sing while he eats and to sleep.

The Noble time
A wandering noble trader who passes once in a month to deal business with the Giant offer him to buy her. Deal accepts then the hostage change hand.
The Noble offer her to repay her debt to free her. She kindly accepts the deal. She falls in love with the son of the noble, Thomas. but Thomas has been blackmail by a criminal organization,

The black contact
She infiltrates the Guild, gaining the confidence as the times go by and finally request to let alone her boyfriend in exchange for going in saltmarsh to connect with the others thief guild there and serve as courier sometime between those two guilds.

searching for a life of her own
left-aligned image

But she had enough of being imprisoned or doing thing for other's needs... Now she was willing to do things by herself. She begins to talk to some news friend that wasn't afraid of her rocky weird looks. Even if she likes to have retrieved her normal more smooth life and singing in the local tavern , she likes to exchange some days for more thrilling adventure then just sit there and play secret information steed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eve-Lee EverThorn.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	82157   Click image for larger version

Name:	In Peace with wrath within.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	82158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thorn, Burn and Mauled.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	82159   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlameWave of Thunder.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	82160  

Last edited by KhamLuc; 11-08-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:17 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Ahkota
Hello! This game sounds really fun. I have been wanting to play a game in Saltmarsh for a while now. Let me know if you have any questions!

Character name: Kormei Sunborn

Character Concept: Kormei will be a half-elf Divine Soul Sorcerer. He is a young adventurer trying to use his strange powers to help those in need.

Appearance: Kormei is fairly short for a half-elf and light of frame. His skin is fair and atop his head is an unruly tangle of platinum blonde hair with the tips of his elven ears poking through. His eyes are the warm gold of an early sunrise across the Azure Sea. He is clad in simple breaches with a loose cotton shirt, and a leather vest. His attire definitely resembles that of a simple deckhand.

RP example: So I got a little carried away writing this. I apologize if it is a little longer than you were looking for.

The Rising Sun:

A Tale of Dusk and Dawn:

Last edited by Ahkota; 11-06-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:38 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
@Alatere: I'll go through the town and find some interesting tidbits to share tomorrow.

The town is mostly human, but I'm cool with just about any other D&D race showing up in town.

@KhamLuc: Hope to see you around soon!
Old 11-06-2019, 01:56 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 187
Robbie Exley Robbie Exley
Definitely interested in putting my Archfay Warlock Halfling here but one question, how will the ability scores be generated? I will make a full application soon as I can. Feel free to PM me as required.

Last edited by Robbie Exley; 11-06-2019 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:49 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 187
Robbie Exley Robbie Exley
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JG4EA - Still haven't quite got the hang of putting pictures on here but heres the link.

Podrick Waterbloom is a pale, black haired halfling male with blue eyes ringed with gold and appears around 21 years of age though in reality his age is uncertain due to the time he spent in the Feywild. He wears darkened clothes as standard attire and always keeps a pair of daggers holstered around his waist. She also walks with a slight hunch due to his habit of keeping low and in cover, a rather ironic habit he picked up during his time as a smuggler during the occupation of the town he lived in known as Summer's Water.

Criminal Background - Former Smuggler

Personality Traits; I don't pay attention to the risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds. I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy.

Ideals; Charity. I steal from the wealthy and the corrupt so that I can help people in need.

Bonds; I'm trying to pay off an old debt I owe to a generous benefactor, though she is certainly is making it interesting in the meantime.

Flaws; If there's a plan, I will forget it. If I do not forget it, I will ignore it.

RP Example; Stumbling drunkenly down the deck of his little ship with a bottle of beer still firmly gripped in his hand Podrick tripped and fell into the railing. All of his friends had taken off to celebrate the ending of the occupation in their own ways but Podrick had risked much for a number of years and wanted to really unwind before he considered what he would do with his life next. The moon shined on the water of the sea below, it was nice and calming. ''I shouldn't go swimming'' he thought and tried to right himself but managed to fall over the railing instead, he hit the water with a splash and when he dragged himself out of the lake he no longer recognized the surrounding area.

As he looked around, still drunk as a skunk he realized something ''Where the feck is my boat?'' He then saw a large castle in the distance, it appeared to be made out of pure light. As he made his way up a dark green pathway. Two strange elf looking women approached him with spears raised but before he could ask where he was or what happened to his boat they stood aside stony faced as the door before him opened. Inside was a great hall and there were many people there dancing but as he stumbled over the threshold they stopped and stood aside as well, watching him with an intensity he found unnerving indeed.

It was then he saw her, the most beautiful woman he had ever seen sitting on a large white chair. She stood as he came closer, he slapped himself a couple of times in the face to get his mind together ''You are perhaps the finest lady in creation. It seems the only fitting tribute I can present for a woman like yourself is to see why I am called Podrick ''The Mast'' Waterbloom?''. He then bowed as deeply as he could with a grin crossing his face, before losing his balance and knocking himself out upon the white marble floor. The hall filled itself with the sound of his drunken snoring.

Titania, Queen of the Summer Court stood shocked for a brief moment and as Oberon stormed forward to remove Podrick's head from his shoulders she stopped him with a raised hand and everyone filed away from the room leaving her alone with this strange halfling. She had other plans for this one.

Podrick awoke again and clutched his head, this was no ordinary hangover but he still didn't recognize his surroundings. He seemed to be in a strange hall and as he got to his feet he didn't see anyone, at least not until he turned to the head of the hall and a woman was simply sitting there watching him. He recognized her from the drunken haze he was in and fell to his knees, bowing his head respectfully ''My deepest apologies my lady. I was shamefully drunk and I...'' She raised her hand and he fell silent instantly. She got up from her chair but she was smiling as she approached.

''You apologize too much Podrick ''The Mast'' Waterbloom. Rise'' she said in a voice that shook him to his very core, this woman was powerful beyond his imagination. He was suddenly extremely aware of how badly his display could have cost him. He did as he was bid, carefully keeping his eyes on the floor as he did so. She then spoke again ''Do you wish to serve me Podrick? Not in the way you proposed mind you but as an emissary of my will?

He felt her hand raise up his face and her beautiful face was the only thing he could see. ''Yes'' he thought, he felt he owed her his life anyway and what else did he really have to do? She then grasped his forearms and upon her touch tattoos of delicate chains spread over them and he followed every word that came next ''You are bound to me now. If I have need of you I will send a messenger, once you prove yourself worthy of my favor. You have spent your life in the darkness Podrick, fighting tyrants by ferrying refugees who did not deserve to die. You will continue to help those you can and punish those who would do harm'', she then prodded him in the forehead and he was suddenly walking down a road towards Saltmarsh. This was his hometown but he had not been here for some years, he looked down and he was wearing new clothes and armour.

But most shocking of all was the instinctive need to flex his hand and a shimmer of green flame flashed over his hand for a brief instant before it vanished. he could use magic now. ''This is going to be an interesting trip'' he thought as he continued into town.

Last edited by Robbie Exley; 11-06-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:52 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3385
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Interested, especially with all the resources available.

So I kind of have this fun idea for a Variant Human Monk who follows the Way of the Drunken Master. For his feat, I was thinking of how fun Tavern Brawler would be if improvised weapons could be considered monk weapons (kicking butt with a tankard in his hand would be highly amusing). Any objection to that?
Old 11-06-2019, 09:27 AM
Trial by stone!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22621
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
left-aligned image

Name: Carth Daggoth

Concept: A human Fighter, smuggler backgroundsmuggler fighting for the prosperity of his hometown while fattening his pockets in the process.

Personality:
  • Trait:I love being on the water but hate fishing.
  • Trait:Although born and raised in a small fishing village I enjoy the exotic; people, food, songs and culture.
  • Ideal:Wealth. Heaps of coins in a secure vault is all I dream of.
  • Bond:I love my hometown and even though I have dreams of travelling the world I will always come back home.
  • Flaw:My greed could prove my downfall.
Appearance: Carth is an unassuming man of middle height, dark hair and pale complexion. Unshaved and unkempt, he smells of salt, oiled tarp and sweat. He is usually seen wearing weathered black studded leather armor with a worn shield strapped across his back and a curved sword at his hip. Pale grey eyes and a permanent ghost of a frown give him somewhat of a mournful appearance, he does not carry himself as a happy fellow unless he’s on his third drink or his purse has just gained weight.

Rp samples:
The wind was blowing hard, raising the waves to crash against the rocky shore “Damn it Carth, we’re too close! We’ll smash the rig against the rocks man!” “Greytooth” Geruld was frantically rowing while the waves and tide pulled them ever closer, he was a strong man and a damn fine oarsman but his constant fear of death was starting to get on Carth’s nerves, the man was literally frightened of every single step he took in his life “Shut your hole Geruld and row.” he said in his usual calm voice, sitting at the bow and searching the waters ahead “We’re close to the drop point, keep her steady.” he reached for the boat hook, ready to hook the small buoy in “Aye aye, you be the Cap’n but I’m tellin you we’- woah! We hit the damn rocks you fool!” the boat took a blow to the hull, nearly sending Carth flying overboard and forcing him to drop the hook and grip the gunwale to keep safe himself “Stuff it Geruld, we’re nowhere near the rocks, no reef here either…” his voice trailed off, what had they hit then if not rocks? There was no damage to the boat and come to think of it, it hadn’t been like hitting any rocks, this was different “Bring it around the starboard, I think we missed the drop point.” he said, his voice barely audible over the raging wind around them “Are you crazy? Let’s do this tomorrow, the winds will have died down and the sea won’t be this angry, I’m tellin’ you Carth I’ve seen bigger storms but I’ve never seen the sea this angry.” Geruld hesitated yet still he brought the boat around, Carth gave him a reassuring look and a lopsided grin “We’re here now mate, let’s finish this, no pirates around these waters in this weather and we got people counting on this shipment. Besides, I plan to drink well tonight!” he could hear the protest coming from Geruld in the form of a string of curses spoken into his beard “Right, fine. You’re buying!”

They turned the small boat around and sure enough there was the buoy, Carth grabbed the hook and got himself in position to hook it in “Steady, almost there….” as he brandished the hook he saw a dark shadow moving beneath the turquoise colored waves ahead, it was large and came at them at frightening speed “Watch out!” Carth screamed as the shadow came crashing into the hull of the boat with a loud crack, sending him sprawling backwards to land in the arms of Geruld who lay prone on the deck, soaking wet and staring wide eyed ahead as the huge shadow rose from the sea “Ca..c...c...Carth…. Wha…. what is that?” the large southerner whispered through clenched teeth but Carth had no answers for him, staring in terror as the apparition rose ever higher, towering over the skiff. It was made of shadowy seawed with some semblance of arms resting on the starboard gunwale, a face out of a nightmare barely visible behind the scraggly seaweed-like strands glared down at them, pale green eyes glowing like phosphor in the dark. It leaned down as if it were studying them, specifically Carth, it’s face coming ever closer until it were a mere feet away. The moment seemed to last forever and during that time he could no longer hear the raging storm around them or the waves hitting the boat and nearby rocks, he could barely hear the sobbing voice of Geruld behind him praying to whatever gods were willing to listen when suddenly a voice spoke in his mind, sounding like the crashing of tidal waves against rocky cliffs “I…..AM UNDERTOW….YOUR TIME IS NOT...NOW…. WE ARE...NOT… FINISHED WITH….YOU….” and just as the words were spoken so did the creature release it’s hold on the boat and sank beneath the waves.

They rowed hard on their way back to Saltmarsh, neither speaking a word and by the time they pulled their boat up on the sandy beach near the town they were shivering from cold and shock, stumbling with fatigue. It was only then that they realized that the buoy was nestled in the bow of the boat, the waxed bag fixed to it. Carth swore he didn’t hook it in before the boat was struck, Geruld only nodded. They drank well that night and never spoke of this to any man.

Last edited by Cedric; Yesterday at 09:03 AM.