RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 11-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3907
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Feedback on submission is welcomed.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3971
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
@All: Apps are looking good so far! Thanks for applying!

@Grouchy: I wouldn't be opposed to it, so long as the improvised weapon fits within the monk weapons specs (i.e. equivalent to a simple weapon that's not two-handed or heavy).

So maybe a tankard is the same as a club for you, or a shattered bottle is a dagger in your hands.

@Robbie Exley: Dang, I knew I must have forgot something! We'll be using standard 27 point buy.

@JaredSyn: I'm admittedly not great at criticism/critique. If there's anything particularly striking to me, I'll mention it in private. Here's what I can offer:
  • A tip: Be sure that the app encompasses what I've asked for. So, a character concept (all the details don't need to be locked-down yet), something about their appearance so I can picture them, and RP Samples based on two or more of the prompts (preferably delineated by prompt, rather than one big one).
  • Another tip: Be sure that the character fits the setting and themes of the game. This does not mean they need to be a character that can only exist in Greyhawk, but rather that they can meld into the fabric of a humble, backwater fishing town. They can be eccentric and strange - heck, they could have walked through the wrong door in Sigil, so long as they've since become part of the local color.
  • A third: Do have fun with it! Hopefully the prompts I've offered allow for some enjoyable writing.
  • I can also answer specific questions, and answer for background information. For example, tonight I'm planning on cracking open the book to make notes for Alatere (and everyone else!) to reference. I don't mind doing a bit of research on Greyhawk in general, if needed.

Last edited by Inuvash255; 11-06-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3385
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuvash255 View Post
@Grouchy: I wouldn't be opposed to it, so long as the improvised weapon fits within the monk weapons specs (i.e. equivalent to a simple weapon that's not two-handed or heavy).
Great, that's actually right along the lines of what I was thinking of. I'll get busy.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3015
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
I will have an application up in a day or two. I have not played 5e so will need review on character creation.

Application
right-aligned image

Name: Vilk Vild’Iss
Race: Lizardfolk
Class: Druid - Circle of Land - Coast
Background: Sailor
Concept: Starting out as a healer (a dip into life cleric). If we make it past level four I may switch over to a fighter type.

Background - WIP

Last edited by Kshnik; 11-06-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3385
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Character Concept
right-aligned image

Character Name: Arjolf Wine-Crusher.
Alignment: Chaotic Good.
Race: Variant Human (Tavern Brawler feat) - hails from the Frost Barbarian!Kingdom of Fruztti.
Class: Monk (eventually progressing to Way of the Drunken Master).
Background: Sailor (former castaway).

Appearance:
Arjolf is an unusual looking man for the area of Saltmarsh. He is tall and well muscled, with fair skin covered in freckles and shockingly bright red hair cut in a barbaric fashion. Underneath a pair of thick hairy eyebrows shine icy blue eyes surrounded by small amounts of scar tissue. He has a wide flat nose and a large grin which shows he is missing one of his front teeth. He has a lush full mustache and muttonchops but keeps his square looking chin freshly shaved. His hair is unusual in that it grows long on a top row but is shaved to the skin on the sides, giving him a rather primitive look. He favors furs and leather to adorn his common clothing, and boots that tie up to his midcalf. He has a large belt buckle which is engraved with the symbol of a fist clenching a tankard and the buckle is well polished and cared for. From his waist hangs a variety of blades and a slightly battered looking tankard.

Role Playing Samples:
You had a bad experience with the elements: the fire, the salt, the sea, or the storms. What happened?

Finishing a long pull from his bottle of mead, Arjolf wipes off his mouth with the back of his hand and chuckles slightly at the memory. [b]"Well, funny story 'bout that. That's kind of how I ended up here in ole Saltmarsh. Y'see, I used to live in Fruzzti, what you all call the land of the Frost Barbarians. Yep, that's right. I'm a Frost Barbarian, believe it or not. Anyways, we used ta run fishin' boats

You have a good friend or family member in Saltmarsh. What was your most pleasant experience with them?
You and another face around Saltmarsh have crossed each-other as rivals. What was the most intense situation between the two of you?
You found love in the village. Describe a romantic encounter that you'll never forget.

You have a distinct character flaw. When was a time that it got you into trouble?
You once had an experience with the supernatural that you'll never forget. What happened?

Last edited by Grouchy; Yesterday at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:59 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Some tidbits about Saltmarsh:
  • The Wicker Goat is the oldest tavern in town, and caters to dwarven miners and the town guard.
  • The miners have a headquarters in town that used to be a mansion for a noble family. There are rumors that there's a hidden vault beneath the building.
  • There's a three story tower in town that belongs to local sage and wizard, Keledek the Unspoken.
  • The Empire of Iuz is a nearby empire ruled by a cambion. They're at war with Keoland's rivals, which makes them acceptible trade partners. The Empire of Iuz can't produce enough food for everyone, so they import what they need. Saltmarsh is a major supplier of fish. They buy fish by the ship-load, and always pay on time.
  • The Empty Net is a rowdy tavern and a haven for criminals.
  • Kiorna Kester of Kester's Leather Goods buys the hides of exotic creatures, and pays a premium for hides that are well trimmed.
  • Eliander, commander of the town guard, sometimes has need of adventurers to pursue important and dangerous jobs outside of town.
  • The Dwarven Anvil is a blacksmith with a single anvil of clear dwarven design. However, it's run by humans - Mafera and her son Jasker. The dwarven miners who've come to town would like to know how a human came into ownership of such fine dwarven tools.
  • The Fishmonger's Plants process fish brought in from the sea with salt and brine, and reek of prosperity (and fish!)
  • The Mariner's Guildhall provides bunks and meals for sailors passing through town.
  • The Carpenter's Guildhall does a lot around town. They build houses, assemble fish barrels, repair docks, and much more. A gnome named Jilar Kanklesten runs the place, and is often on the search for rare woods.
  • There's a Temple of Procan in town, lead by a one-legged former whaler named Wellgar Brinehanded. Procan is a chaotic nuetral diety of the sea and weather, and offers his clerics access to the Tempest Domain. It's said that Procan can see wherever the oceans touch. He expects sacrifices of food, alcohol, and treasures thrown to the depths at the start of a voyage. All treasures lost at sea are in his domain, and those that plunder shipwrecks without his priest's blessing are dogged by wretched weather.
  • Ferrin Kastilar is the town druid, who keeps an ear out for rumors of aberrations in the land. He tends the Sea Grove of Obad-Hai, a shrine and gathering place for seagulls, sailors, swamp folk, traders, and trappers.
  • Two standing stones stand on an island off the coast. It's said that a siren was once chained there by an evil tribe as an offering to the sea. To this day, you can still hear her captivating voice between the stones, and the echoes of it draw fish to the area.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:07 AM
Crazy Kobold

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6274
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Thanks for the info, any chance it could be copied into the first post so I don’t lose track of it?
Old 11-07-2019, 05:27 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 82
Alysm
That list was the much needed tinder to spark a fun little idea. A Symic Hybrid played off as some sort of Sea-Maiden or Maiden Fish you'd find in folklore. Bequeathed as a bride to old Wellgar when he unwisely lamented never having married as he cast his nets too close to Procan's shrine. In all respects a well-meaning if naive Or at least girl-adjacent monstrositygirl that does her best to play the part of wife to an aging husband that has no idea what to do with her.

Last edited by Alysm; 11-07-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:38 AM
Crazy Kobold

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6274
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Just going to place this here as a placeholder

Character Concept
right-aligned image

Character Name: Skip Brinehanded
Character Concept: Skip was washed up at the docks of Saltmarsh when he was young with no memory of where he came from. He was taken in and raised by Wellgar Brinehanded the local priest of Procan. He helps out around town performing a number of part time jobs such as helping at the temple, working as an assistant cook and server at The Empty Net Tavern and as a delivery boy for the town. All these jobs however are a cover. Skip is actually a Fence and information broker. Most illicit activities that go on in Saltmarsh go through Skip in some way or the other. Skip has dreams of one day setting up his own ‘rogues’ guild in town.
Race: Halfling
Class: Rogue
Background: Charlatan

Appearance: Skip has a rather youthful and childlike appearance a fact that he plays up on often hiding his more obvious halfling features so that he could pass as a human child. Skip is somewhat fair skinned has short light brown hair just long enough to conceal his pointed halfling ears, large almost amber eyes that enhance his youthful appearance and somewhat chubby cheeks.

Skip is lightly built and actually quite tall for a halfling breaking the three foot mark, this ofcourse translates to him appearing to be quite short for his age if he is ever mistaken as a young human child. Skip tends to dress simply most often wearing simple dark trousers and a plain shirt much like the majority of the towns fishermen or sailers would wear.

When Skip is in his Fence persona however he wears dark clothing over a set of leather armour with a hooded cloak to conceal his face. Under the hood he wears a wig with longer black messy hair, a false goatee beard and a set of goggles giving him the appearance of a gnome. Skip also carefully pads out the armour that he wears to give an impression that he is more heavily built.

RP Samples

You had a bad experience with the elements: the fire, the salt, the sea, or the storms. What happened?

You have a good friend or family member in Saltmarsh. What was your most pleasant experience with them?

You and another face around Saltmarsh have crossed each-other as rivals. What was the most intense situation between the two of you?

You found love in the village. Describe a romantic encounter that you'll never forget.
-

You have a distinct character flaw. When was a time that it got you into trouble?
-

You once had an experience with the supernatural that you'll never forget. What happened?
-

Last edited by Alatere; 11-09-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:11 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatere View Post
Thanks for the info, any chance it could be copied into the first post so I don’t lose track of it?
I'll do that some time today- I would have last night, but my laptop was getting frustrating to use.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6169
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Application Status - Submitted for Consideration

Andresin
left-aligned image
Andresin

Character Name: Andresin
Race: Aquatic Half Elf
Class: Bard
Appearance: Andresin is a sight to behold. To call the half elf charismatic would be an understatement. He has the subtle references to his elven heritage, which provides him a beauty that many revere.

Andresin's features, though lithe, are masculine and his frame encompasses broad shoulders tapering to a fit waist. He has long, flowing, white hair that he usually wears down, or the top portion pinned back to keep out of his face while performing.

His smooth, pale skin is unblemished, and he has a youthful appearance. Set between taut, high cheekbones, are his eyes. They are a piercing blue, as that of the sea, and his mouth is ringed by blushing, red lips.

Background and RP Sample:
Note to Inuvash255: I have incorporated two of them into one story. I hope that is ok.

Last edited by Shaede; 11-11-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1267
KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc
@Inuvash255

see spoiler here for the brainstorm of the application WIP
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...32#post8568632
Old 11-07-2019, 02:27 PM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 863
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Random question. May we use UA feats with standard classes?

Last edited by Treble83; 11-07-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:31 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1267
KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysm View Post
That list was the much needed tinder to spark a fun little idea. A Symic Hybrid played off as some sort of Sea-Maiden or Maiden Fish you'd find in folklore. Bequeathed as a bride to old Wellgar when he unwisely lamented never having married as he cast his nets too close to Procan's shrine. In all respects a well-meaning if naive Or at least girl-adjacent monstrositygirl that does her best to play the part of wife to an aging husband that has no idea what to do with her.
I can play your siren ... or the old grumpy

what better suite you ... I can settle my application in both ways

Forget that ... nearly finish ... but it has been cool

Last edited by KhamLuc; 11-08-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:49 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treble83 View Post
Random question. May we use UA feats with standard classes?
All the different sources I put down are all valid for use together.